Options

[EverQuest Next] Details revealed. Press embargo ended. Beta registration open.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    What I ment was its just a flat covering that you cant manipulate. Sure its got waves in stuff but if you get underneath it you will see what I mean.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Just got into the landmark beta. Couldn't be a worse time, thanks to Wildstar's release, but still excited.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I got a phishing email telling me I was in the Landmark beta. Was so sad.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Question - when Next comes out what happens to Landmark? Are they going to stay separate games? Like you log into Landmark and build stuff and then send it over to Next? Or will they merge?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    Question - when Next comes out what happens to Landmark? Are they going to stay separate games? Like you log into Landmark and build stuff and then send it over to Next? Or will they merge?

Landmark is a totally separate game. It is the tool with which Next is being built, and that they are making available to us to build our own things as well, but they are not the same game at all.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    But there might be some amount of optional crossover, such as designing templates in Landmark that you can transfer onto a plot of land in Next. Maybe. Or not, because who knows because Next is nothing more than a whisper of an ambition right now and I am sure they have not figured that kind of stuff out yet.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I haven't touched an MMO in years and have gone from 0 to hype over EQN in the span of like 2 days after stumbling onto some dev videos. I've never even played any of the previous EQ games. What the hell happened?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I haven't touched an MMO in years and have gone from 0 to hype over EQN in the span of like 2 days after stumbling onto some dev videos. I've never even played any of the previous EQ games. What the hell happened?

They decided to get serious and "reinvent" the MMORPG.

What remains to be seen is how successful the attempt will be. They do not seem to be lacking clout or funding though so at the very least it will be interesting to see what results.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

They decided to get serious and "reinvent" the MMORPG.

What remains to be seen is how successful the attempt will be. They do not seem to be lacking clout or funding though so at the very least it will be interesting to see what results.

Even if it fails, I'm excited to see how they'll try and change things up. In the event that that it does fail, hopefully other devs will take notice and incorporate those ideas into their games until one finally does it right and everyone benefits from it.

Hell, even if they DO do well, I still hope other devs take those ideas and refine them and incorporate them into their games.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    What? Iteration on innovation towards higher quality mechanics and design?

What foolish hope is this?
    Do mine eyes deceive me?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So there is that post saying they demoed how to make a hollow sphere but I missed it. Is there a video of it up on youtube? I still want to make an insanely large one.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The video is still up if you look for it. It's a useful thing that I really needed to properly make a roof dome.

Also I have learned that for making a rough, natural looking cavern, useing the delete tool on sphere and the select + smooth tool really makes the caverns look like it formed that way on its own.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Cool, I'll look for it. I really want to make a monstrously sized hollow sphere that I can put a few floors into. I hope this goes well.

I also should have 1 beta key left for anyone who wants it.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Stragint wrote: »
    Cool, I'll look for it. I really want to make a monstrously sized hollow sphere that I can put a few floors into. I hope this goes well.

I also should have 1 beta key left for anyone who wants it.

I'd like to try it out if you can spare the key.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Oh no, the amount of obsidian I'm going to need is insane.

• Options
    If the obsidian is needed to just create the initial sphere, you could try making the sphere out of stone or dirt, then hollowing it out and then useing the paint tool to paint what you are keeping obsidian.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hey guys, I lost my claim spot and had to move. So I've set up shop a little bit west of where I was before on Serenity-Lowland. There's a map and a picture of my cabin. The crafting stations are in the basement now, since I decided having an attached claim was too much upkeep for right now when I have lots of other things going on. Mostly I'm just waiting for CAVES and then we'll probably all go nuts playing again.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Decomposey wrote: »
    If the obsidian is needed to just create the initial sphere, you could try making the sphere out of stone or dirt, then hollowing it out and then useing the paint tool to paint what you are keeping obsidian.

That is an excellent idea. I'll still need a few million dirt but I can get that while farming up obsidian.

So has there been new stuff added recently? I'm seeing all this relic stuff and a bunch of the legendary tier stuff looks scifi and awesome. It also seems like stuff is easier to make.

Edit: I finally have all the crafting and refining stations to the highest level (assuming etherium is still not in the game) and it feels good. Time to start farming up massive amounts of obsidian and dirt, hopefully getting relics for upgrading. I also need to actually draw out on paper what I want since a giant sphere all on its own feels kind of lame.

If anyone wants to use any of the crafting stations I have I'm on Determination in the Terrace. My claim is south east from the spire.

Stragint on

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Quick question - how difficult is it to make stuff in Landmark ?

I have a 9 year old nephew who loves Minecraft, and I'm thinking of getting him a Landmark starter pack on Steam, but I have no idea if it'll be too complicated for him.

He loves learning new stuff, and will happily watch tutorial videos on Youtube, etc, to learn the ropes and complicated techniques.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    It allows for much more fine detail than Minecraft, but it isn't particularly difficult, especially building relatively simple structures. I would think a 9 year old could handle it.

I'd caution that at the moment the game is still in early beta development so it is of limited appeal from a gameplay standpoint. It's more for people who want to be part of the development and testing process. Apart from simply building structures the game is quite dull currently, and even then building is somewhat limited because the tools and props are still being added in and refined. The general gameplay experience will be improving over the summer as they add in cave systems, swimming, combat, monsters and a better crafting system.

You can see the current development plan here. Assuming no delays, around August is looking pretty good for a more well-rounded game.

Edit: Another concern is that you have to maintain an upkeep on your claim in the game world. Failing to do this means all of the stuff you built gets destroyed (although you get the raw materials back and it gives you a template to copy/paste your build back into the world once you reclaim your spot/claim a new spot). In the future this might be easier to manage, but at the moment you can only pay up a few days in advance. This could be a problem for a kid, not sure.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    I turned all of my obsidian into refined obsidian and now I can't use it as a building material. This is whack.

• Options
    News! Caves are coming REALLY SOON, probably next week. And they're not doing a claim wipe, which is a surprise!

Also, I've been playing more in preparation for caves (gotta get my pulverizer upgraded to a legendary!), and while doing so I ran into a lot of issues with the Gathering List/Journal feature, which is really nice but could be SO much cooler if they added some stuff to it. I posted my wishlist on the official forums and on reddit, go check it out. :)

• Options
    Are they making it so the pulverizer can be upgraded when caves come out because right now I'm not able to upgrade it.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are they making it so the pulverizer can be upgraded when caves come out because right now I'm not able to upgrade it.

You will have to make a new pulverizer. You can't upgrade anything that was made prior to the institution of the upgrade system. I just upgraded my new pulverizer to Legendary and it's quite nice, same with my new mithril pick, here's a screenshot:

mEi4UeL.png

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Does a pulverizer pulverize all resources or just dirt, rock, and the like?

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Does a pulverizer pulverize all resources or just dirt, rock, and the like?

Just rock and dirt. It'll actually clear space around ore veins and stuff, which can make mining them out easier.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Hey guys, I lost my claim spot and had to move. So I've set up shop a little bit west of where I was before on Serenity-Lowland. There's a map and a picture of my cabin. The crafting stations are in the basement now, since I decided having an attached claim was too much upkeep for right now when I have lots of other things going on. Mostly I'm just waiting for CAVES and then we'll probably all go nuts playing again.

So I started playing this last night, and of all the server/map combinations and directions I could head, I ended up coming across your cabin before I saw this post on the thread.. So random.

• Options
    downer wrote: »
    Kylindra wrote: »

So I started playing this last night, and of all the server/map combinations and directions I could head, I ended up coming across your cabin before I saw this post on the thread.. So random.

Awesome! Although I'm probably going to move when caves come.

They aren't doing a claim wipe for caves, which means if I want to be neighbors with all my friends (who all lost their claims too) I'll have to go resettle on somewhere a little less populated than Serenity-Lowland. Someone on twitter suggested I try Adventure-Sound, so if there's enough interest in playing post-caves, I will start a colony there.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Will you be the Queen Ant for our underground colony?

• Options
    If so, I've already been experiementing with underground bioluminesent flora.

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Will you be the Queen Ant for our underground colony?

I humbly accept your status as worker ants. Please begin lining my chamber with offerings of food and/or copper.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

It still gets pretty intensive working with obsidian even like this. I still recommend the use some cheap bulk thing like stone or wood as the base of it but when doing painting make sure to use a very big brush. If you try to do it efficiently using the 1 voxel brush or the 2x2 voxel brush at any distance your structure will wind up looking zebra stripped. I found this out working on huge pyramids painting is the best option but to do it so it looks good at a distance will still wind up being pretty obsidian intensive just not as bad as it would be if you tried to make the entire thing out of obsidian.

• Options
    Wre you just using a big brush and clicking on the structure? Because it would have been far easier to use the select tool, select the entire building, then use the paint tool on the selected portion to paint the whole thing at once.

• Options
    Anychance you could post a copy for thsoe of us stuck behind work filters?

• Options
    Anychance you could post a copy for thsoe of us stuck behind work filters?

Sure, here you go:

CAVES!
    Caves are here! Large, craggy underworld entrances have broken through the surface of Landmark’s islands, awaiting your discovery. Each of the dark, windy caves are unique and house brand new biomes to explore, mine, and pulverize your way through. Eager spelunkers will want to gather some new and existing tools to help them navigate the twisty turns and drops of the exposed caverns, especially if they plan to seek out the more isolated cave pockets that don’t break the surface. This is our first phase of caves in the game and they only occupy 10-15% of the depth of the world. When we roll out the next phase of Caves, they'll fill up the rest!
    Please note that the area around a cavern entrance cannot be claimed. if you happened to have a Claim where a Surface Cave has been generated, it will automatically be foreclosed. Your Claim will be auto-templated and your resources and props will be refunded.

Caves have ore, gem, and ancient earth veins that can be found while spelunking. Be sure to look all around you! You’ll find veins not only on the ground, but on the cave walls and ceilings.

Most of these veins are bigger than their counterparts on the surface.

Some veins are hidden just beneath cave walls and floors. Using detection items will help you locate these rich deposits.

Ore and gem veins can now be found underground in the space between caves. They’re rare, so detection items are a must!

With the discovery of caves through the world, come rumors of treasure chests to be found! These chests contain resources, props, accessories, potions… and even a few new items to be discovered. Treasure chests will award loot to any nearby group or player – when loot drops for you, it will automatically be granted to you!

Resource Detection
    Because of the addition of Caves (and Ore / Gems in said caves) we wanted to introduce a way to find stuff that is buried in the ground.
    Ore Prospector: Using this item will illuminate surrounding ore veins for 15 seconds and summon a directional HUD element for 30 seconds (with an optional distance indicator).

Ground Sounder: Using this item will illuminate surrounding gemstone, stone and ancient earth pockets for 15 seconds and summon a directional HUD element for 30 seconds (with an optional distance indicator).

The Landmark Exploration & Spelunking Society highly recommend players acquire these items before venturing into underground caverns.
    Swimming

Get your swimming trunks on, and grab your snorkel - you can now swim in the ocean! As you enter the water, you'll swim along the surface – aim the camera down with Right Mouse or press X to dive down and explore beneath the waves. You can still use all of your tools under the sea!

Plant Harvesting
    Plant harvesting has received a minor makeover to help support the addition of Infused Plant crafting items and improve the overall experience:

All non-special world plants are now harvestable. These basic plants will be drop Plant Fiber and Plant Extract, basic ingredients of Average quality used to make Textiles and Infused Plants.

Textiles now require only 5 of their respective plant ingredients (down from 10) and 5 basic Plant Fiber ingredients to create.

All special plant harvestable ingredients are now Superior quality, rather than ranging from Average through Exceptional.

The Alchemy Station, Alchemy Lab, and all three Infusers can now create Infused Plant ingredients.

Special plants now spawn in specific biomes, and several new plants have been discovered to be spawning in caverns.

Plant descriptions in the collections inventory now indicate which biome they can be found in.

Large versions of plants are now growing in their respective biomes, and will yield more bountiful harvests when sickled.

Tree Changes
    The special trees which drop Heartwood in the desert, jungle and tundra have been updated to support new prop distribution. You can see examples of these new trees in the Resources Guide, which is accessed by clicking the Help button. We've also renamed some of them, to better fall in line with the model of the trees.
    • Thistle Seed is now known as Gnarled Knot
    • Spindle Cone is now known as Spindled Splinter
    • Palm Heart (Jungle biome) now drops from the Wild Palm tree.
    • Gnarled Knot (Desert biome) now drops from the Petrified Gnarl tree.
    • Spindled Splinter (Tundra biome) now drops from the Frosted Spindle tree.
    • Ancient Rootstock (Old Growth biome) now drops from the Ancient Sagewood trees.

Potions
    Various consumable potion items can now be crafted at the Alchemy Station using existing ingredients and the new Infused Plants.
    • Sharp-Eyed Elixir: Increases Discovery stat by 5 for 15 minutes.
    • Potion of Minor Yield: Increases Harvest Bonus stat by 10 for 15 minutes.
    • Potion of Furious Harvesting: Increases Harvesting Damage stat by 25% for 15 minutes.
    • Potion of Greedy Harvesting: Increases Harvesting Size stat by 25% for 15 minutes.
    • Potion of Nimble Harvesting: Increases Harvesting Speed stat by 10% for 15 minutes.
    • Highstep Brew: Increases Jump Bonus stat by 5 for 15 minutes.
    • Bottled Moonlight: Increases Light Radius stat by 30 for 30 minutes.
    • Spirit of the Wolf: Increases Run Speed stat by 5 for 15 minutes.

Note that these potion effects are not cumulative, and do not stack with themselves.

Marketplace
    Be sure to check out the new bundles in the Showcase.
    • Wooden Furniture Bundle
    • Round Cushion Bundle
    • Bloodtear Builder’s Bag & Chest
    • Bluebell Builder’s Bag & Chest
    • Cordella Builder’s Bag & Chest
    • Crystia Builder’s Bag & Chest
    • Nightbloom Builder’s Bag & Chest

Tool Improvements
    We’ve made a few Quality of Life improvements to some of the tools.
    • Added a Mirror button to Paste / Template Volumes, and removed the Scale button (since you can’t scale those anyway)
    • Made the Translate arrows on small paste volumes easier to use. There’s now a bit of a buffer around your pasted volume, so that the arrows don’t obscure what you’re trying to paste. That cheering you hear is from all you microvoxels users!

Templates
    Added a new feature to the Template Screenshots! When you create a template and take a screenshot (with a selection volume active) it will now highlight your selected voxels in the screenshot, and darken everything else.

Bug Fixes / Misc Changes
    Increased the rollover time on Claim Likes. Previously, Likes would “expire” within seven days. We’ve increased this to 14 days.

Fixed an issue that caused some templates that used older materials from Alpha from being placed.

The new cushion props now stack up to 40, just like all of our other pillows.

Sometimes you could get in to a state where you could not completely remove all the tags on your claim. This is fixed.

Typing /bug should no longer result in a LUA error.

Previously you could queue up multiple Deletion confirmations, this no longer happens.

• Options
    nice, thanks!

• Options
    Wow.

There's a different type of cave for each Biome, Desert cave, tropical cave, Ice cave, haven't found a forest cave yet. They are HUGE, sprawling, and I've gotten lost in them more than once. And they're so very pretty!

• Options
    So more on caves.

The tropics cave, the first I found, is filled with patches of broad leaf plants with the occasional bioluminescent coconut tree (sadly not harvestable yet) growing down from the ceiling. As well as having ore and gem veins in spots on the walls and ceiling which are much larger than surface veins, there is also a type of bright purple glowing flower which growns nowhere else and can be harvested to get Nightbloom, a resorce for crafting the new potions.

The desert cave, my second find, is dry and dusty, seeming much more barren after the lush tropics cavve. Large stalagtites and stalagmites hug the floor and celing along with the occasional desert succulant, and the aformentioned resource veins. Starkly noticable is the rare plant in these caves, the Blood-something plant, which is the glowing red flower bush that used to grow on the surface of deserts but no longer does.

My third find was the tundra or ice cave. Large glowing spikes jut from the walls, ceiling, and floor here, which could be crystal or could be ice (not harvestable). Also found are some small glowing shoots that yeild regular plant extract and a new rare flower Crystilis (I think, spelling could be off). This flower is pink and spiky and looks a bit like rock candy. Also, again large gem and ore veins appear.

The final cave was the forest cave. This cave was even lusher than the tropics cave, harvestable trees and logs growing up through the ceiling in places and every inch of the floor covered in grass. Light is provided by giant glowing pinecones. Large roots thrust down from the ceiling (totally harvestable) and a bright white flower, Cordelia (again, spelling could be off) is found growing along the tunnels. These caves, like the others, boast large veins.

I haven't yet made the two new tools that let you douse for ore and gems not immediately visible in the walls, but will soon, luckily the tropics cave I founf first is in a dorect line from my claim to the islands spire so I can find it again easily to test those once I make them.

• Options
    Ice caves!!

http://imgur.com/a/4eDEq#29

You can get LOST in these bad boys. Love it.