As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That one spectacular roll, good or bad.

2»

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    every third game i play with my dark eldar ends before it begins when my archon overdoses on triples before the first combat phase.

it pisses me off to no return. My dice are seriously against me
    There was that time that my Space Marines were all killed off to a man by turn two.

Against all-infantry guardsmen.

Well, not quite to a man, but my terminator deep-strike squad managed to scatter right into one of his formations.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    every third game i play with my dark eldar ends before it begins when my archon overdoses on triples before the first combat phase.
    it pisses me off to no return. My dice are seriously against me
    Let this be a lesson to you kids: Don't Do Drugs! :P
    Seriously, you know he doesn't have to take three stimms at a time, right?

As for my spectacular (or not) rolls, there was that one time I had a pack of Wolf Guard Terminators drop-pod in front of an entire Guard gunline, including three russ' and a basilisk. Not a one of them died in two turns of every. single. pie-plate landing on them.
    Of course, once they got into cc with the side armour of the basilisk and what with being armed with chainfists and thunder-hammers, they didn't even scratch the paint.
    For three turns. :roll:

Of course, my all time favourite is the wolf-priest on bike who stared down three turns of augmented Ulthwé mind wars without so much as blinking, then (accompanied by his pack of bikers) broke and ran down the entire seer council.
    That was a good day. :D

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JerobJerob Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Alright. So its late at night. The rest of the group has retired except for myself and my two compatriots. We're in Waterdeep at the moment and few months into the campaign so we're not doing badly at all. I believe I was level 11, a Halfelven Wizard with an attitude. The other characters consisted of a human monk I think who was 9 or 10 and a human archer of similar level. The GM gives us a throwaway mission to go eliminate some lizardmen yadda yadda. The archer and the monk are chewing through the opposition while I am actually fending off a lizardman or two with a masterwork shortsword that I had never used before. Well, we get to the bottom and we have what we believe is the "boss fight". A giant lizardman. I believe the archer murdered him as he was a bit of a min-maxer.

Alright, thats the setup. We're standing on a stone bridge over a lake of acid, ready to cross and reap our rewards. We're all fairly wounded and I'm nearly out of spells. Suddenly an adult black dragon rises from the lake, intent on eating us. Immediately all three of us have the same idea: Hold off the dragon while the other two escape. So I fly off into the air, preparing to maybe muff this thing's snout with a fireball. The archer flies into the air with boots of flying ready to try to put an arrow of whoozawutzits into his eye. THe monk gets first initiative and attacks. 20. He rolls again. 20. He rolls again. 20. We spent literally 10 minutes trying to figure out HOW a monk kills a dragon with his bare hands in one attack.

What happened after we discovered his horde is another story.

Jerob on
    AC: WW 2363-0580-7649 Jerob in Wausau
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jerob wrote:
    Alright. So its late at night. The rest of the group has retired except for myself and my two compatriots. We're in Waterdeep at the moment and few months into the campaign so we're not doing badly at all. I believe I was level 11, a Halfelven Wizard with an attitude. The other characters consisted of a human monk I think who was 9 or 10 and a human archer of similar level. The GM gives us a throwaway mission to go eliminate some lizardmen yadda yadda. The archer and the monk are chewing through the opposition while I am actually fending off a lizardman or two with a masterwork shortsword that I had never used before. Well, we get to the bottom and we have what we believe is the "boss fight". A giant lizardman. I believe the archer murdered him as he was a bit of a min-maxer.

Alright, thats the setup. We're standing on a stone bridge over a lake of acid, ready to cross and reap our rewards. We're all fairly wounded and I'm nearly out of spells. Suddenly an adult black dragon rises from the lake, intent on eating us. Immediately all three of us have the same idea: Hold off the dragon while the other two escape. So I fly off into the air, preparing to maybe muff this thing's snout with a fireball. The archer flies into the air with boots of flying ready to try to put an arrow of whoozawutzits into his eye. THe monk gets first initiative and attacks. 20. He rolls again. 20. He rolls again. 20. We spent literally 10 minutes trying to figure out HOW a monk kills a dragon with his bare hands in one attack.

Did you know it's actually possible for a monk to have vorpal on his fists?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

Wouldn't that make it hard to do stuff, like, eat, or put on pants? :?

Scooter on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

Obviously he just spontaneously learned the Quivering Palm.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

Only if you rolled super well to do so.
    I always just loved the concept of a monk chopping a Balors head off with his bare hands.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

I thought it had to be a slashing weapon? Fists dont slash.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jerob wrote:
    We spent literally 10 minutes trying to figure out HOW a monk kills a dragon with his bare hands in one attack.

Well?

How does a monk kill a dragon with his bare hands in one attack?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lardalish wrote:
    Blade hand attacks would. Man, that would be awesome.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Perhaps a King Kong-esque jaw breaker move?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Lardalish wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

The joy of epic feats and/or prestige classes.

EDIT: To clarify the idea behind a triple-crit. Generally it's considered to kill outright, but not always. The basic idea is that a crit strikes a vital point on the target, a double with generally sever a limb or otherwise incapacitate, and a triple is somewhere along the lines of nailing a vital organ or severing a major artery. Vorpal automaticaly severs the tagets head upon a crit.

EDIT2: If any mod feels that I'm getting too off topic I'll gladly stop, I just like to make other people think about the idea of vorpal fists.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    easy: HE PUNCHES THROUGH ITS SKULL AND RIPS OUT ITS FUCKIN BRAIN.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Actually I think what the DM decided was that he leaped onto its snout, beat his way into his eye and then further into his brain. Not exactly realistic, but its one bald man kung fu-ing a beast outweighing several elephants.

So after it died, the lake reverted to water and we could see all the treasure down there. He was pretty sure we wouldn't be able to get most of it, but then I realized that I had been holding onto a bottle of infinite air for about....6 levels or so. The DM at the time was big on random treasure generation so we ended up getting...some interesting things. Including a Deck of Many things.

When we sat down to play the next session, everyone was quite suprised that I was several levels higher and Chaotic Good, the Monk had his own keep outside of Waterdeep. The archer barely made it out alive from the deck. Was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Jerob on
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This was Exalted, right?

Right?

:shock:

Allon on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lardalish wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Jerob wrote:

Epic feat allows it.

Also, "Versitile Unarmed Strike" from the PHB II allows the monk to change damage types with his fists to any damage type with a swift action.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Allon wrote:
    This was Exalted, right?

Right?

:shock:

Ha ha...would you even need to role to kill a dragon in such a way in Exalted? It was 3.0 D&D. I admit it was not the most creative idea, but how else do you explain a monk, barehanded, beating a dragon to death within a few seconds?

Jerob on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The following is from a game of Deadlands: Hell on Earth.

Meet Johnny Two-Eagles, transportation system for a couple of Deagle .50s, as well as being a damned decent sort.

One cloudy, hell-borne day, the posse was trotting through a Deadland looking for some salvage, when they notice a Terrantula (read: BIG spider) crawling down a building.

Everyone dives for cover. Everyone, that is, except the Syker, who is soiling his pants in terror.

"Aw hell," Johnny says. "I'd better save the egghead."

He pops back into the street, where the Terrantula is slowly filling the Syker with poison.

"All right, you hairy sonuva..." Johnny says, raising his improbably huge pistols to the creature's face for a called shot to the eyes.

He hits with both double-taps. With a raise. Rolling 4d6 damage for each shot, for a grand total of 16d6 damage to the creature's eyes. A lot of 6s come up, so he re-rolls them. For something to the tune of 90 damage to the creature's eyes alone.

As he tucked the glowing-hot Desert Eagles into his holsters, he thought to himself "One day those 'Loyal' and 'Heroic' hindrances are gonna get me killed."

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, ah, heres a couple roll stories:

I was playing in a friend's homebrew system, and it was d10 based at the time (we've played this system in about 4 or 5 different incarnations), and in combat, when you were attacked, you could choose to make a defense roll.

So my friend was playing a ninja, and I was a necromancer. He had gotten a weapon that was hardcore evil and took control of him. The sword forced him to attack the party member he hated most. Well, my necromancer and his ninja had been at each others throats for some time - we had very similar personalities, and were both incredibly stubborn. He attacks me, and fucks me up pretty hardcore over a matter of 2 rounds. He attacks me in the third round, the final round of him being under control (hed passed some kind of save, I believe), i'm one HP from death, and rolls a 2. My friend looks at me and says the following:

"All you need to do is roll better than a 2. BEAT A 2!!!"

I roll my favorite little green d10.

1. He hits me in the throat and I fall over dead.

I threw out that die. Right then and there, into the trash can.

I ended up coming back somehow, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Another story was in a D&D 3.5 game I was running in a homebrewed setting my friends and I all run in. I was running a dwarven campaign, and while not everyone played a dwarf, it was based in the dwarven lands, and was meant to explore the dwarven society. The campaign ended up focusing on freeing the gnomes from their slavery under the dwarves, but thats neither here nor there. A big part of the plot was a Glabrezu, who had corrupted the dwarven emperor, and now require the sacrifice of an ass ton of gnomes, yadda yadda. Its a level 10 game, so a glabrezu by itself aint no big deal. However, the party felt they could diplomacy their way out of it. They talked things out with the demon, and were satisfied with the results. The demon, of course, had lied through his nasty teeth, and only one character knew it - not because of any rolls, but because he wasn't fucktarded. Anyhoo, little Gibblin, the gnome bard, had picked a spell that forces your enemies to attack each other, should they fail a will save. I dont remember the spell name. He casts it on the Glabrezu and his two Vrock minions. I roll the will saves.

Glabrezu rolls a 20, the vrocks both roll ones. The vrocks, flanking the glabrezu, attack him. The glabrezu defends himself.

Well, once the vrocks take some serious damage, they decided to summon a few buddies, bringing in two more vrocks. Those vrocks need to roll their saves, as the spell is still active.

1, and 1. So the vrocks just go nuts and attack the glabrezu, as its the biggest threat. The glabrezu figures he could use some backup, and manages to summon ANOTHER glabrezu. That glabrezu rolls his check. 20.

The new glabrezu takes one look at the situation, mumbled something to the effect of "Oh, HELL no" and greater teleported out of there.

The vrocks fuck the glabrezu in the eye, and then go to town on each other, using their spore attacks. When there's one vrock left, Gibblin waits for a little while, and the remaining spores bring it down.

Now, technically, all the demons were just onconcious. So what does Gibblin do? He goes and saws all their heads off, claiming victory, and gaining not only a shit ton of experience, but the title of Gibblin the Demon Slayer.

He left the continent after gnomes were given their freedom.

Inx on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This is one I vaguely remember from my distant youth; I'm talking like 20 years ago. I was playing in a D&D group with my older brother and some of his friends. We got to the end of a dungeon, a gigantic throne room with around 50 kobolds and the Kobold King or something like that.

My brother attacks one with his sling, kills it. The DM makes a morale check, and fails. And all the kobolds, including the King, surrender immediately.

We may have been misinterpreting the morale rules.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Raziel wrote:
    The following is from a game of Deadlands: Hell on Earth.

Based on your story, this is a game I gotta play someday.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In my humble opinion, it's the greatest game ever conceived by mortal minds. Take Spaghetti Western, horror, and the groovy post-apocalypse, and wrap it all up in a setting that demands the GM keep the big secrets away from the players, and you've got something inspiring.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I used to run a WoD game that took place in the Old West. Now, this was before they did the Werewolf version of it by about a year and a half. So most of the rules, weapons and what-have-you were all self-adjusted.

So, during one of the games, the PC's have to stop a train with a serious threat to their well-being on it. Well, not really, but it was someone who could change their little political structure just by his appearance. No one wanted this, so they all set out together to stop this train, which was arriving in the early evening, naturally. You can't have Vampires stopping trains in the middle of the afternoon, it just doesn't work.

So the train, through an odd combination of Movement of Mind and Necromancy ends up getting derailed, and all the cars behind the coal trawler fall over on their side. The engine catches fire.

Now, just before all this, the Nosferatu player looks at me and says, "I have Animalism. So...I summon BEARS!"

I have him roll. He only has like four dice to roll, so I figure nothing much will come of this. All the dice come up 10. Roll again. All 10 again. By the end of it, he rolled 17 successes on four dice.
    "So what does that get me?"
    I look in the book. They only have up to 5 successes in the book, which was every one in the immediate area/city/town/burg/etc. comes as quickly as they can. I multiply that by 3, just to round it off to 15. So every bear within about 600 miles comes barreling to this place.

Of course, I don't let him know this, I just make it so they filter in. By the time the train was derailed and the fire started, the Nosfer player looks at me and says, "So, how many bears do I see? Ten? Twenty?"
    "Ben, you look behind you, and all you can see over the hills and valleys are bears. Big bears, small bears, brown, black and even gummi bears. Bears, bears, bears."

At this point, everyone is laughing.

The Nosfer says, "I point at the mayhem at the train below, look at the bears and say 'LUNCH!'"
    "Okay, roll it."
    Four ones. Not just failure, COMPLETE and UTTER failure.
    "The bears look at you and go 'Mmmmm, mmmm, good!' and start walking towards you."
    "Uh, can...Can I spend Willpower to make that a zero?"
    "You could..."
    "I think I'll do that."
    "Good choice. Bears may not do aggrivated damage, but I'm pretty sure that your body won't reconstitute in 24 hours after you're torn apart and devoured."
    "Okay, so what are they doing now?"
    "They are sitting there looking at you like it's a fucking Coke commercial."
    "I try again."
    He rolls, he gets a few successes. The bears move in.

The ensuing horror was so bad, the Assamite in the game appeared and started saving people from the bears.

The bears never got to who they wanted to kill, he was smarter than that.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ok, my little story is set in a German fantasy RPG known as Midgard, which was never released in another language AFAIK.

It was at the end of a little dungeon crawl (during a campain influenced by Egyptian history or something) when our group was attacked by a "famish ghost".
    The beast impersonates hunger and is like a fast Zombie Sasquatch.

So, the beast jumps our Dwarven Berserker, hits his head and draws blood.
    This sends the little dwarf into berseker rage (he had to roll a test on willpower and failed).
    My Temple Knight was next in initiative order, so I drew my sword and attacked the beast.
    With a swift stroke of my sword I decapitated the fiend (result of two critical hits in a row - 2 x 20 on a D20)!
    The train of thoughts my character had this moment must have been something like this:
    "Not bad. Who would have thought that I´m such a good fight after all. And why is the dwarf looking so agitated? And probably more pressing: why is he swinging his battle axe at me... Oh shiii..."

Well, the berserker had to roll on willpower for a second time to calm down after the only enemy died.
    He didn´t.

What he did do, is roll maximum damage for his stupid axe.
    More damage than my characters chain shirt could handle (after botching the defense roll) and clearly enough damage to send my character to his deity of choice.

Two corpses out of three attacks.
    Good ratio, sad player.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Inx wrote:
    Gibblin the Demon Slayer.

Haha, I love when those kinds of things happen. People can be way too trutworthy of NPCs.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    clipped

"I say to you againe, doe not calle up Any that you cannot put downe..."

Lovecraft is awesome, weird spelling and all.

laughingfuzzball on