Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Is the woman Thor going to have good stories? If yes, awesome if no, it'll go away.

Who cares beyond that?
    If that was really all it was, would it have been announced on the View?

Its a stunt, and a silly one. I don't read Thor so it doesn't effect me, but let's not pretend its not a calculated move

what do do you mean by this

isn't literally everything comic book companies do a calculated move?

at the end of the day they want you to buy their comics

Seriously. Be glad that their calculations show that the readers they'll gain from this will outweigh the ones they'll lose. People being shitty about getting what they want baffles me to no end.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

Guess I am skipping PAX East

Noooo

who will collect money at the dinner?

Never again. Group dining gives me anxiety

Look, I'll do it, but it's going to involve a spreadsheet.

Do you want a spreadsheet at the dinner?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Lotta people in this thread who don't read comics and don't know shit about them having nonetheless strong opinions on what they think comics are doing and should be doing.

Interesting.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    and "calculated move" seems negative

is the negative thing that they're reinventing a character to be (problematically) more gender inclusive among superhero books?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    oh God. It's starting.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Noooo

more than anything

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    oh God. It's starting.

the weatherman weren't kidding when they sent your phone a flash flood warning

but they said nothing about

the brown rain

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So I sent my resume to the "badger lovers get bonus points" place.

They just e-mailed me back, to tell me they got my e-mail...

Except they didn't put my name in the e-mail... they put someone else's name there...

i don't know how to feel.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Noooo

i eat spreads of sheet like you for dinner

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Deebs I demand you live tweet your procedure tomorrow. I want to know when he's piping through your duodenum in real fucking time

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Is the woman Thor going to have good stories? If yes, awesome if no, it'll go away.

Who cares beyond that?

Its a stunt, and a silly one. I don't read Thor so it doesn't effect me, but let's not pretend its not a calculated move

Yeah but its not "we want to make the best stories and the best story is Thor is now a woman."

Its "we want to reach out to a broader demographic so changing one of our core characters to a woman for a year before reverting back to the old ways will generate publicity enough to help achieve that end."

The former doesn't require an announcement on the View, a daily talk show primarily aimed at female viewers.

If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, or something that is even likely to still be in effect when Thor 3 comes out (2015/2016), they are IMO being naive.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    People who talk about cleansing toxins and shit and buy these weird vodoo snake oils are silly. you can go to the drug store right now, buy some magnesium citrate for like....3 bucks? 5? drink it, and experience the cleansing of a lifetime.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    People who talk about cleansing toxins and shit and buy these weird vodoo snake oils are silly. you can go to the drug store right now, buy some magnesium citrate for like....3 bucks? 5? drink it, and experience the cleansing of a lifetime.

it was $12
    The ducoloxoensjdnsxwhatever was another $12

• Options
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Except they didn't put my name in the e-mail... they put someone else's name there...

Depending on the pay, you might have to change your name.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Who cares beyond that?

Yeah but its not "we want to make the best stories and the best story is Thor is now a woman."

Its "we want to reach out to a broader demographic so changing one of our core characters to a woman for a year before reverting back to the old ways will generate publicity enough to help achieve that end."

The former doesn't require an announcement on the View, a daily talk show primarily aimed at female viewers.

If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, or something that is even likely to still be in effect when Thor 3 comes out (2015/2016), they are IMO being naive.

If anyone thinks any change to a comic book character is permanent then they are being naive. No one who has brought it up seems to be under the impression that this is a permanent change.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I slept for 14 hours but now my headache is gone yay

did you chug water before and after? 12-14 hr sleeps always dehydrate me

yep

also i awoke in a pile of animals

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Marvel's big publicity event for the summer is the Death of Wolverine and Original Sin. This is just the current writer on an existing series making a change.

Dear Marvel,

These are derpy events. Just tell everyone to read She-Hulk and Silver Surfer this summer.

Best regards,
    Desc

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

You feel used.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

something that has always seemed fishy to me is that these so called "cleansing" processes seem like they would be just as likely to remove all the stuff in your gut that you need to not shit bricks and generally live as stuff that might be causing problems.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I hadn't listened to the words for Chocolate Rain in a long time.

He was probably p mad when he wrote this song, huh.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

Fuck that, Peter Parker sucks. Marvel, bring back Superior Spider-Man!

• Options

Who cares beyond that?

What makes you think that Marvel, back in the golden age of comics, wasn't saying, "Girls don't read superhero comics. They read Archie. We need our heroes to embody manliness."

This may surprise you, but Marvel comics is a business. And guess what, if they book does do well, there is no reason why it couldn't show up in a movie. Because 40 years ago you would have been among the chorus of people saying that Thor would never be a woman.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Like, honestly, it's someone's job to reply to these e-mails... at least make sure you use the right name!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think Peter Parker stayed dead for like 20 months.

Was surprised they let it go that long but you know, Amazing 2 came out so....

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I think Peter Parker stayed dead for like 20 months.

Was surprised they let it go that long but you know, Amazing 2 came out so....

Marvel doesn't have the movie rights to Spiderman.

• Options
    oh god, Tay Zonday never stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liTUZO1ZoBU

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Let's say the Female Thor book is good and everyone loves it. They will STILL bring back male Thor. They may do something shit ass stupid like make Moljinir clone itself and now there are two Thors

But still.

• Options

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.
    I want more females interested in comics

but you know

not THOSE females.

• Options
    Let's say the Female Thor book is good and everyone loves it. They will STILL bring back male Thor. They may do something shit ass stupid like make Moljinir clone itself and now there are two Thors

But still.

Is that gonna be for the back-to-school months? Two Thors?

• Options

But still.

I would watch that Thor on Thor action.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

But still.

Sure, like they've handled multiple Thor's before. There are enough knock off Mjölnirs in the MU to outfit a carpenter's union.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Are any ladies here who don't currently read Thor comics going to pick up issues after the change occurs? Anyone curious?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    A few years ago, Peter Parker died in the comics. Now, he only died in the Ultimate continuity, a spin-off universe created over ten years ago as a "re-imagining" of the Marvel universe. He didn't die in the main "616" continuity.

But he still died, and rather than bring him back from the dead Marvel replaced him with Miles Morales, a mixed-race teenager from New York with his own super powers who took up the identity of Spider-Man, having been inspired by Peter's life and heroism.

Marvel made a big announcement about this, since it was a new Spider-Man it was a big deal! Even if it was the "B side" continuity Spider-Man, it was still a thing!

This caused some people, most of whom don't read comics, to get their shit in a twist over this "calculated move" and "publicity stunt". A lot of noise was made over the fact that the new Spider-Man was black-hispanic (or just "black" to people who didn't really give a shit about being mad) and some said "Clearly this is just Marvel trying to pandering to black youth and the liberal market especially with this tokenism. They didn't have to change Spider-Man to be black, but I guess that's the PC thing to do now."

This was the argument people like Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs, racist conservative pieces of shit who otherwise don't say a god damn thing about comics, we're fond of.

And it's what a few of you sound like about the new Thor, especially those of you who don't read comics and cynically are allergic to people "making a fuss"

So consider if that's the side of things you want to be on.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I win, I fucking win. I decided to Google for this news story in the style of Fox News. "thor is a woman now."

Screenshot%202014-07-15%2016.53.11.png

I have synchronised.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Chat chat chat
    want to know if dice rolls in a spoiler work

Geth roll 2d6

Let us see.

And now I know.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.
    I want more females interested in comics

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.