Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Marikir wrote: »
    All of this talk about random MMOs from Steam are kinda wearing down my resistance to them.

Are there any that are...casual friendly? That won't require a lot of investment in time and even less money (I hate to say it, but FTP might be my best choice here, I guess)?

I'll echo what Ataxrxes said about The Secret World. it's very casual friendly. It has one of the more interesting worlds I've seen in MMO's, if nothing else should keep an eye on it for a steam sale.

I'd definitely recommend Secret World as well. After being gifted the Massive Edition earlier this month, I haven't been able to play anything else. Abandoned the Dragon to start a Templar inspired by Gard from the Dresden books, and have been having a great time. Made it to Egypt for the first time. At some point I really need to join the PA channel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fucking state of decay crashing as I make it to the bottom of the ladder.

Oh well, at least I cleared out those three infestations. Though I am burned that I didn't get the achievement for rucksacks, I thought it was for 5 but it was for six. Best patch ever.

I really hope they make a sequel with less orange and more mod support. I'm no weeabo, but making the characters look anime-ish would at least let me find them in my dark and dreary home bases.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    All of this talk about random MMOs from Steam are kinda wearing down my resistance to them.

Are there any that are...casual friendly? That won't require a lot of investment in time and even less money (I hate to say it, but FTP might be my best choice here, I guess)?

I'll echo what Ataxrxes said about The Secret World. it's very casual friendly. It has one of the more interesting worlds I've seen in MMO's, if nothing else should keep an eye on it for a steam sale.

I'd definitely recommend Secret World as well. After being gifted the Massive Edition earlier this month, I haven't been able to play anything else. Abandoned the Dragon to start a Templar inspired by Gard from the Dresden books, and have been having a great time. Made it to Egypt for the first time. At some point I really need to join the PA channel.

Considering you've put nearly two business weeks into it in the past two real weeks, I'd say you really stand behind your recommendation!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah The Secret World is pretty great too. Not as casual as Firefall and definitely more MMO-ishy but with a really unique setting, fabulous lore, great writing and cool adventure game Investigation style missions in addition to more traditional MMO stuff.

Drake on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I've looked at Planetside 2 and Tera, but never downloaded or played either. The recent talk about Firefall also seems to be quite positive.

Yeah you want to play Firefall. Planetside 2 requires some group organization to get the most out of it. That's super cool and all but if you want to get into the fun without investing precious game time into the social side of things then it's probably not going to deliver for you. Playing Firefall is a lot like playing Borderlands or Defiance. You have a big ass open world to run around in. This world is far more detailed than the Defiance game btw, with a much greater emphasis on vertical exploration thanks to glorious jetpacks. Missions pop up in the world, as do events like Chosen Invasions and Meld Storms. There are Job Boards where you can pick up multi staged story missions. All missions are clearly marked with suggested level ranges and whether a group is probably a good idea. You don't have to group up to help others with missions and get rewards, all you need to do is participate in the mission or event. You can log in, bomb around the map with your jetpack and bail out people in trouble, smack down packs of monsters and bad guys, do some crafting and log out. It's very solo friendly, super colorful and a lot of fun.

You may find this an interesting read if you are wondering what happened to turn this game around from its troubled production and beta period. I hope this game is a smash hit because it sounds like there are a lot of people who stuck out one of the worst types of work experiences you can get just because they believed in the original vision of their game.

Gods damnit...I think I've just been "Drake'd".

*goes to add Firefall to his wishlist*

It goes into wide release on the 29th. Okay, that'll give me time to decide if a MMO is such a good idea.

(It totally isn't which is why I'll probably do it anyway.)

I may go ahead and give TERA a look-see as well since it sounds like they will be different experiences.
    The Merch demands your service.

?.png

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I really like TERA (I'm playing it now), it's very action centered, so I don't feel like I'm ever just sitting there hitting keys. It is also fully controller compatible, which I love (though fiddling with quest text boxes and selling/buying is still awkward and I use the mouse for it, but eh). And the combat is primarily about knowing what each of your moves does; close blast, grenade like lobbed AoE, straight line, etc. You might just end up not realizing how long you've played it. ;)

If you can handle "teh animes" style, Dragon Nest is another one that you can basically play at your own pace, solo, and do all the areas but the "Nests" themselves. Those really do require parties. It has a similar combat style to TERA (similar, not exact), and much less customization of characters. It's not for everyone, but since the areas are discreet stages instead of open world roaming monsters it is easy to just enter the stages and kill the monsters.

Planetfall 2 is fun, but know that if you don't have a squad (I don't), then you are one dude against a freaking swarm of whoever is on the other side. Also, expect to die a lot. ;)

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

Considering you've put nearly two business weeks into it in the past two real weeks, I'd say you really stand behind your recommendation!

Wow, doesn't feel like I've played 76 hours in the past 2 weeks. I guess having a short work schedule for summer helped with that. Also trying to maximize the AP bonus for the 2 year anniversary, and a couple week long AP boosts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is anyone still playing Hawken?

I fire it up from time to time, but I thought you hated Hawken?

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is anyone still playing Hawken?

I fire it up from time to time, but I thought you hated Hawken?

I might. I don't remember. I hate a lot of things.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    @Svevin gimme a crash course on Assetto Corsa.

Are a lot of people playing multiplayer at any given time?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    DAMNIT! I already have enough crap to play!
    I don't need more!
    *sigh* adds Secret World and Firewhattheshitdrakefall

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fair warning about TSW: If you're following a build guide its very soloable. If you think about synergies you'll do fine. Just throwing stuff on the bar will get you killed though. Some late enemies will require reapecs (totally free beyween any abilities you haveever unlocked, and you can save like 100 builds or something nuts) because they punish doing certain things to them (like bleeds, or not using debuffs)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Finished off Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs a couple days ago.

I liked Frictional's "rougher" style in the first game a little more. That one had the tinderboxes, lamp oil and sanity as resources that you had to manage somewhat carefully. Now, even in The Dark Descent, it's true that managing them is not really that important. But in AMFP they don't have any resources to manage at all.

AMFP clearly had some higher production values. Some of the mechanical environments were really impressive. There was a lot more voice acting in this one, and it was pretty good too.

There's not much of the Lovecraftian stuff from TDD in this one, which is a bit of a disappointment for me. It has a bit of a nod in the backstory, but machines weren't really Lovecraft's style. This helps AMFP stand apart from its predecessor, but also makes we wonder why the two games are connected at all.

Not sure where I'd rate the "scariness" between the two games. I guess I'd say they're about equal. They mainly have a real sense of scary tension throughout, with an occasional side of "OHGODIT'SRIGHTBEHINDME". Not much in the way of overt jump scares in either game, that I recall. AMFP is probably more "horrifying", just in terms of the sheer implications of the main plot.

Pretty fun overall (for certain understandings of the word "fun").

HeirTransparent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Finished off Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs a couple days ago.

I liked Frictional's "rougher" style in the first game a little more. That one had the tinderboxes, lamp oil and sanity as resources that you had to manage somewhat carefully. Now, even in The Dark Descent, it's true that managing them is not really that important. But in AMFP they don't have any resources to manage at all.

AMFP clearly had some higher production values. Some of the mechanical environments were really impressive. There was a lot more voice acting in this one, and it was pretty good too.

There's not much of the Lovecraftian stuff from TDD in this one, which is a bit of a disappointment for me. It has a bit of a nod in the backstory, but machines weren't really Lovecraft's style. This helps AMFP stand apart from its predecessor, but also makes we wonder why the two games are connected at all.

Not sure where I'd rate the "scariness" between the two games. I guess I'd say they're about equal. They mainly have a real sense of scary tension throughout, with an occasional side of "OHGODIT'SRIGHTBEHINDME". Not much in the way of overt jump scares in either game, that I recall. AMFP is probably more "horrifying", just in terms of the sheer implications of the main plot.

Pretty fun overall (for certain understandings of the word "fun").

Different development teams.

AMFP was developed by The Chinese Room who also did Dear Esther.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular

Different development teams.

AMFP was developed by The Chinese Room who also did Dear Esther.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear. I'm aware they're different development teams. I meant more in the sense that they're quite different from each other, and that they don't seem that much like part of a series.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the aesthetic of The Bueau: X-Com declassified more than the plot. Really disappointed I can't get it to run on this shiny new controller. Anyhew, shooting was fun, looking forward to charging ahead in the plot.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Left for work this morning with several games queued up for Steam to download in my absence so I could fool around with them this evening.

Apparently the computer opted instead to go to sleep at some early point (I don't remember ever setting that as an option) and instead it downloaded about one gig of data for one game.

GG!

/sigh

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    In honor of @pixelated pixie's generosity and troubles, I was thinking of trying out divinity: original sin tonight. Can anyone give me an idea of what the multiplayer is like? Could I start with that or do I need to do some solo first?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Good god is Kentucky Route Zero amazing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    In honor of @pixelated pixie's generosity and troubles, I was thinking of trying out divinity: original sin tonight. Can anyone give me an idea of what the multiplayer is like? Could I start with that or do I need to do some solo first?

Pretty sure you can coop from the start. My wife will be gone if you need a buddy.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options

Pretty sure you can coop from the start. My wife will be gone if you need a buddy.

I'll definitely let you know but I think I have a small window of opportunity tonight. I should have more time Wednesday and Tyhursday night so I'll let you know about those ones too

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Holy crap..got home from bombarding people with X-rays to find that ultra classy @iolo gifted me not 1, but 3 games: Sang Froid, Unity of Command and Two Worlds 2 TD. My backlog can now sustain third world countries...this demands revenge. >,>

Much thanks classy gent, as always!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

In that vein, I'd advise to people interested in The Secret World to look at my sig directly below this post and see what it says about TSW. I'm scared to look.

• Options

In that vein, I'd advise to people interested in The Secret World to look at my sig directly below this post and see what it says about TSW. I'm scared to look.

Fortunately for me, I need a new hard drive before I can consider TSW. Is it true that's it's a 60 gig install? Between that and payday 2 i bought about 90 gigs in one day during the Summer Dale

steam_sig.png

• Options

Fortunately for me, I need a new hard drive before I can consider TSW. Is it true that's it's a 60 gig install? Between that and payday 2 i bought about 90 gigs in one day during the Summer Dale

TSWgigs.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular

holy crap I did not realize how much space it took up! for me it takes up 39.2 gigs of space I imagine if you pick up any of the extra issues that could go up to 60 gigs maybe. hmm I might have to play that more so I can get that space back on my drive...

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    streaming Final Fantasy 7 shortly on:
    !
    Stop by to keep me company, it's my first playthrough :)

• Options
    edited July 2014

TSWgigs.jpg

Is that the massive edition? That's the one I have. I thought someone said it's a 40 gig download and then a 17 gig patch

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yep, that's the massive edition, fully patched up.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Thanks. That's good to know. Still need a new hard drive though. I only have a single 500 gig hd for everything.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

Freedom Planet has launched. The story stuff looks pretty corny but the gameplay looks like a blast. Nice to see some Genesis inspiration on the indie side too.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yep, that's the massive edition, fully patched up.

Not that regular edition is any less.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, it's a pretty hefty game any way you get it. Must be all those secrets! They take up a lot of room...

Unrelated -

The supercute "Pixie" flash drive I ordered arrived today. It's so tiny!
    pixieflashdrive.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Freedom Planet has launched. The story stuff looks pretty corny but the gameplay looks like a blast. Nice to see some Genesis inspiration on the indie side too.

Inspiration may be a strong word. Looks just like a reskinned Sonic to me.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Rayman Legends is also capital-A Awesome, but would be significantly improved with the forcible extraction of UPlay.

It is so nice playing an approachable and modern platformer made with a big budget and lots of care. And the barbarians are so fun! I like all their weird little weapons. Different colored Rays, Globs, and Teensies are a lot less cool as heroes.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Rush for Glory
    Loading...?

I nabbed it. You had me at Tower Defense. Thanks @Berylline!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, it's a pretty hefty game any way you get it. Must be all those secrets! They take up a lot of room...

Unrelated -

The supercute "Pixie" flash drive I ordered arrived today. It's so tiny!
    pixieflashdrive.jpg

That picture has lies!
    this is adorable!
    Although the flash drive is cute.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Anyone can have this copy of Paradigm Shift, I don't know if it's good but I hate zombie games!

This discussion has been closed.