As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum - Epic play by email Hex 'em up, from Hell! Game over.

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Critical Failures
OP elements stolen shamelessly from a fantastic and sadly overlooked thread by @Capfalcon from many years back. I reckon his mistake was to go for G&T when despite being on the computer this is clearly more a CF type game.

My lord, I bring you fantastic news!

solinf0jpg.jpg

Satan has abdicated the Throne of Hell.

Solium_victory_screen-thumb-550x378.jpg

The entirety of the Infernal Conclave is scrambling to find a new monarch. Now is your moment, my lord. Seize what is rightfully yours.

SIbanner.jpg

Marshal your legions to conquer your foes who foolish refuse your demands.

ironmaidens.jpgthefallen.jpg

Crush your pitiful rivals' champions in single combat.

in_dreadful_deeds_fearless550.jpgsinglecombat.jpg

Hexes!

MainMapClose.jpg

On a dull work day I found myself somehow stumbling upon a write up of this game on Rock Paper Shotgun. It was frankly amazing. I suggest you go read it now . You only need to read the Kieron and Quinns bits and if that's too much reading for you, I won't lie this probably isn't the game for you.

Back with me?

Excited as all get out to give this a shot?

Let's do this!

A few points to bear in mind first however.

1) This game will cost you. 15 of your dollars to be precise. I have yet to buy it but if we can get a game going on the forum I definitely will.

2) This game will take some time. Play by email. Variable number of turns. We're talking weeks and weeks here most likely. If you're not in for the long haul then you're probably best not starting.

3) This game is rules deep. It has a large manual you will probably want to consult. Though wikis and tutorial pages exist on the game website.

So can I get at least three other interested parties involved?

Go on, be a Devil.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Well, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't jump at the chance to play this with a person.

So, sure.

• Options
    2/4...

Also take your Blood Bowl turn!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I'm in. I've been looking for more opportunities to play this since the G&T thread died.

To anyone on the fence: it's possible to loot one of your rival's vaults and frame someone else. Or even nastier, frame someone for attempting a coup, which can get them killed in short order.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'll take a look at this this evening; it might be a thing I'd enjoy. No promises as yet.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    What. What is this madness?

Let me read over the things. Possibly.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Having read through the manual and tried the demo, yeah, I'm willing to give this a shot.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Registering interest - I own and love SI - but I'm out of town for most of August. If games continue to spawn I would be down in the future.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    To reign is worth ambition though in hell.

If you need another I could play

• Options
    I'll be terrible at it, but I'll jump in, what the hell.

• Options
    That's a better reaction than I had dared hope for.

I'll purchase the game and get things rolling on an intro game as soon as I get the chance.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So once the game starts, is this thread going to be updates for bystanders/the forum for us to insult/demand/etc? Or do you have other plans?

• Options
    Updates in the thread would be great and hopefully bring in more players. And the thread for public discussion and PMs for private scheming should do fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    What sort of public discussion are you thinking? People play this game very close to the chest.

• Options
    Lies and deception I imagine. Just open lies and deception.

That and maybe the experienced players telling the neophytes what they did wrong.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Lies and deception I imagine. Just open lies and deception.

That and maybe the experienced players telling the neophytes what they did wrong.

It seems like we might have enough for a couple of small games where we could segregate that a little. Or mix and match, whichever!

I've been assuming this thread would end up approximately similar to a Phalla one, with a lot less needing to defend yourself from accusations since the game's explicitly adversarial. :P

E: Also, the one thing I don't think I've got any notion about - how does one consume a resource card for the Gluttony objective / secret ones with the same requirement? Use it to improve your avatar's stats?

Auralynx on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    E: Also, the one thing I don't think I've got any notion about - how does one consume a resource card for the Gluttony objective / secret ones with the same requirement? Use it to improve your avatar's stats?

Yep. You can just consume them towards end of the game as a mad dash for your objective, too, but consuming them for upgrades counts.

Nope! I'm wrong.

So, Character Building and You!

Every wannabe Satan has the following aspects:
    Rank, Martial, Cunning, Intelect, Wickedness, Charisma.

Rank: Where you were in the infernal pecking order before Satan ran off. Higher is generally better, since higher ranks get you more Hell money from your servants and let you demand more money from other, lower ranked players. However, as a high ranking dude in hell, when you insult someone, they won't lose much prestige if they just ignore you, since you're supposedly punching way below your weight class. On the other hand, if a low ranking dude demands things from a high ranking dude, the high ranking dude can generally give him a pittance to shut him up. But, and this is the big thing, an insult (or resource demand, technically) from a low ranking dude to a high ranking dude is a huge, huge blow to prestige, if they ignore it. Being low ranked is a great way to MAKE people fight you if that's your game plan.
    (Yeah, the two most basic ways to interact with people in this game are either demanding they give you free stuff or publicly insulting them. Even in Hell, politics is still politics)

Cunning: Lets you steal other people's moves, resources, relics and, at high enough levels, even soldiers and generals. Generally, the asshole stat.

Intellect: Essentially anti-Cunning stat. Not only does it make it harder for people to steal from you, but also lets you spy on other people and even see the future. Additionally lets you cast more spells a turn, and more spells is always good. I wouldn't really recommend starting with it too high, though. Each of the other stats has their own way to win by themselves, but Intellect is more of a supporting thing to your primary plan.

Wickedness: You know what solves pretty much any problem? Hellfire. Enough hellfire can fix any problem. This is the "Put Money In, Get Death Spells Out" resource. Just as a reminder, you'll still need a troop to actually step over the corpses of your enemy's armies and into the burning wreckage of your enemy's strongholds if you want to capture them.

Charisma: Focusing on Charisma is more or less the generalist approach to the game. Everyone's going to want some, since it's how you mainly get money without browbeating it out of other players. If you make Charisma itself your focus, you'll probably be the second best at everything, since buying up your low stats will be doable with all the money you're getting each turn.

Also, in the previous thread, I had two sample builds for anyone who wasn't feeling adventurous.

Overwhelming Combat Strength
    Marquis of Hell (Your demands and insults need some teeth if you're ever going to declare war on someone)
    Lust (Probably not going to eat enough souls to clear Gluttony)
    M 1 / C 0 / I 0 / W 0 / Cha 2
    Master Archer, Master of the Sword

1. Rank up your Martial Skill to turn all of your legions into unstoppable killing machines
    2. Make demands against people you could crush with your military (I.E. Everyone who has a border with you.)
    3. Pump your Int if someone starts using Deceit against you.
    4. Reign in hell!

Money, Money, Money
    Baron of Hell (Don't really have a better place to put the 3 points)
    Glutteny (If you're doing this build right, it's pretty much free prestige)
    M 0 / C 1 / I 1 / W 0 / Cha 3
    Devoted Minions OR Infernal Cardinal

1. Rank up Cha to 4
    2. Rank up whatever the hell you want so you can get more orders (Int default, so you won't get robbed blind)
    3. Buy all the bling ever.
    4. Reign in hell!

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Note that the playthrough Jam linked features a build similar to that $$$ one failing pretty spectacularly, fwiw.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Note that the playthrough Jam linked features a build similar to that $$$ one failing pretty spectacularly, fwiw.

Oh yeah. It's just one of the possible strategies. If you're a Prince of Hell with a kickass army, there's no reason to even bother wasting orders on getting treasure yourself. Just demand that everyone give everything they own, and when they inevatably run out of money, declare war and take everything else they own.

Hell's kind of a rough place like that. Don't let the door hit you on the way to the slave pits.

• Options
    I guess I need all prospective platers to PM me an email address then please.

Any input from experienced players on game set up?

As we're looking at the full 6 players I'm assuming medium map or will we want to go large?

I was thinking short game length to minimise the pain of the learning experience for us new players.

Then map type and place of power frequecy at whatever is the default?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm seriously out of practice, but here are my recommendations for starting settings:

Medium map if we're going with a short game. With six players it'll be bloody, but that's better than boring. A short game length will bias the game toward more powerful starting legions, martial skill and a bit of hellfire. It will devalue charisma and intellect based strategies. That might be fine, but be aware of the effect.

Randomize map type. They're all good. It's best if we don't know which map so we can't try to build for it.

Place of power frequency as default. They're meant to be big prizes. Making them common relieves the pressure on players to grab and keep them.

It's literally been years since I've played a game, so I've got some questions for more recent players:

What determines your starting legion strength now? It used to be rank but that got patched.

Does upgrading stats really count for consuming resources? Any testing behind that? Last I heard you had to spend an action to do nothing but destroy those resources, that's what made it so gluttonous.

Which patch are we using? My download link is long since expired, so I'll be trying to bring the game file I've got stashed in an external hard drive up to date.

How long do we have to enter an archfiend? I'm pretty busy today, and I'll need to study up to get my builds put together again.

• Options
    Game purchased.

Terrible Demon created.

Let's get it on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kaorti wrote: »
    What determines your starting legion strength now? It used to be rank but that got patched.

Does upgrading stats really count for consuming resources? Any testing behind that? Last I heard you had to spend an action to do nothing but destroy those resources, that's what made it so gluttonous.

Which patch are we using? My download link is long since expired, so I'll be trying to bring the game file I've got stashed in an external hard drive up to date.

How long do we have to enter an archfiend? I'm pretty busy today, and I'll need to study up to get my builds put together again.

It's based off of each point in a skill that isn't Charisma now.

I can't find a source for the Gluttony, but I'm really sure that you just need to consume 35 souls in some manner. You're probably going to end up just eating the last few, though.
    I'll check it when I get my install up and running.

I think you can just download the most recent patches. Hell, I need to do the same myself, so I'm going to at least need a day as well.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Calling dibs on the one-eyed pillar avatar for my legions. I got my game back up and running and it still has all my old fiends, so I can play whenever.

• Options
    I looked for a consume action during the demo and could not find one. No guarantee I didn't miss it.

• Options
    So, one last tip for any new blood.

Starting a war you can win is the hardest thing to do in Solium Infernum.

The two main ways to try and provoke war seem similar, but are REALLY, REALLY different.

Method one: Demanding tribute.
    If you demand tribute someone, and they refuse, you get to choose how you go to war. Single combat with Preators or traditional hex based combat.

Method two: Hurling insults.
    If you insult someone and they refuse, THEY get to chose how you go to war. So, if you're gonna bully some unfortunate smuck, you'll have to outclass them on both fronts if you want to be sure of victory.

• Options
    Found Consume. It's under manage objectives.

• Options
    I have the game installed and ready to go whenever you all are.

• Options
    So, I just ran a quick game, and nope. Turns out eating things for power ups doesn't count!

Whoops!

• Options
    So, I'd lean towards the medium length game. Between the backroom deals events autodrawing conclave tokens and the game increasing the drawing pacee over time, it's rare for multiplayer games to go over 40 turns. And the super legion rush is a little too luck of the draw, in my opinion.

The small map would be good too. Nothing starts fights like being jealous of that asshole right next door with that place of power you just have to have.

Random map and normal place of power frequency should be fine. Too little, and people don't have enough prestige to interact with each other, but too many, and no one minds just eating the prestige hit from taking the easy way out of diplomatic exchanges.

So far, we have:

Jam Warrior
    Capfalcon
    kaorti
    Auralynx
    TheOtherHorseman
    Farangu

With fadingathedges looking for the next game.

I've got my dude ready, and I'm ready to be crowned the King of Hell.

• Options
    And they've all sent me their emails apart from you...

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Quick and probably fairly obvious question, but nothing is quite obvious in that manual.

If two people have conflicting orders in the same slot, e.g. both want to move legions to the same hex in order slot 1, is it just turn order decides priority or is there more to it?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Orders are resolved clockwise from the regent. And since you can't move into someone else's place unless you have vendetta, your orders will just not happen.

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Orders are resolved clockwise from the regent. And since you can't move into someone else's place unless you have vendetta, your orders will just not happen.

You get a little message about your Legion's movement being scrapped the next turn, in fact.

• Options
    Any more input on game set up?

For lack of any other input we're currently going with Cap's suggestion of Small Map, Great Rivers layout, Uncommon Places of Power frequency and Medium game length, because he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
    And they've all sent me their emails apart from you...

@Capfalcon‌ don't you Hail my Hydra whilst still not sending me your danged email! Just need yours and I can get things rolling tonight.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Kaorti said something, but we more or less agreed.

And sending new messages on the phone is hard. :(

• Options
    Ah yes, missed that one. I'll randomise the map type at creation then.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Invites sent. Give 'em Hell.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I took goatface.

We should probably keep updating here when new turn files go out just so we're all on more or less the same page.

• Options
    I picked the creepy birdman looking #15.

• Options
    I also went Goatface.

Awkward.

MhCw7nZ.gif