Options

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting! (nsf56k)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Honey is one of the few foods I buy raw

Raw honey is so much better than pasteurized honey, lordy lordy

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »

Like Maple Syrup, chances are good that the "Honey" you find in grocery stores is HFCS, in the US.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Um, kinda, there's usually a couple choices and as long as you read the labels closely and don't buy the cheap stuff you should be fine. Maple syrup is a bit tougher but the stores around here at least stock both.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    We talkin' bees in here?

My parents always had tons of bees hanging around the lavender and rosemary bushes in their yard, so about a year and half ago my sister and I chipped in on a beekeeping starter kit for my dad. After lots of research he finally got it all set up and populated. Here's us going to check them out for the first time.

10550928_10152368678047886_5816402335046449695_n.jpg

I just realized all the photos I took of the hive itself are on his phone, not mine. I'll have to try and get those soon.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Imagine my shock in my early teens when I found out Aunt Jemima's syrup wasn't maple at all.....

Nowadays, I just assume all prepackaged food is fake.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I actually don't like real maple syrup.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Found more bees.

The hive.
    jWMtnzc.jpg

Close up.
    wdI3Hmt.jpg

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Like Maple Syrup, chances are good that the "Honey" you find in grocery stores is HFCS, in the US.

this is pretty melodramatic

Honey with any kind of added sweetener must be labelled as a Honey Blend and more than a certain percent can't be labelled as honey at all.

"Maple Syrup" must be made from maple sap, again anything containing less than a certain percent (In canada I believe it's 80%) can't be called maple. It's usually called "Table Syrup" or "Pancake Syrup"

I mean, people do get fined for mislabeling and misrepresenting their product, but "chances are" is kind of overblown unless you buy all of your honey and syrup at the dollar store.

#pipe on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I ain't bought "table syrup" since moving up here

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Basically you want to avoid this:
    fake-as-fuk.jpg

and instead, buy this:
    syrup-good-ingredients.JPG

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Honey with any kind of added sweetener must be labelled as a Honey Blend and more than a certain percent can't be labelled as honey at all.

"Maple Syrup" must be made from maple sap, again anything containing less than a certain percent (In canada I believe it's 80%) can't be called maple. It's usually called "Table Syrup" or "Pancake Syrup"

I mean, people do get fined for mislabeling and misrepresenting their product, but "chances are" is kind of overblown unless you buy all of your honey and syrup at the dollar store.

Yeah...finding real honey and maple syrup is trivial, even at Wal-Mart.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The real trick is finding local honey to help with allergies. Gotta find a good farmer's produce stand somewhere that sells jars of it for that.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I have seen stuff like "Pancake Syrup - Maple Flavor", but that's about as misleading as it gets, I think.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    When I was growing up in Dallas, rumor had it that if you could get honey from the bees that lived by the Arboretum, it was ridiculously good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

From the article I posted at the top of the page.
    Chinese honey has long had a poor reputation in the U.S., where – in 2001 – the Federal Trade Commission imposed stiff import tariffs or taxes to stop the Chinese from flooding the marketplace with dirt-cheap, heavily subsidized honey, which was forcing American beekeepers out of business.

To avoid the dumping tariffs, the Chinese quickly began transshipping honey to several other countries, then laundering it by switching the color of the shipping drums, the documents and labels to indicate a bogus but tariff-free country of origin for the honey.

Most U.S. honey buyers knew about the Chinese actions because of the sudden availability of lower cost honey, and little was said.

The FDA — either because of lack of interest or resources — devoted little effort to inspecting imported honey. Nevertheless, the agency had occasionally either been told of, or had stumbled upon, Chinese honey contaminated with chloramphenicol and other illegal animal antibiotics which are dangerous, even fatal, to a very small percentage of the population.

Mostly, the adulteration went undetected. Sometimes FDA caught it.

In one instance 10 years ago, contaminated Chinese honey was shipped to Canada and then on to a warehouse in Houston where it was sold to jelly maker J.M. Smuckers and the national baker Sara Lee.

By the time the FDA said it realized the Chinese honey was tainted, Smuckers had sold 12,040 cases of individually packed honey to Ritz-Carlton Hotels and Sara Lee said it may have been used in a half-million loaves of bread that were on store shelves.

The FDA is really bad at testing the foods, and the people who package the product have been taking things at face value when they're sold "100% honey" from overseas. They're likewise supposed to be testing for pollen count in honey but the tested samples contained none at all, which the FDA says should mean that it can't be labeled as honey. Guess what, it is. Not having pollen doesn't just mean an aesthetic change either, it means that it has been through a process that removes water and then reduces the honey with various other substances, such as HFCS. The labels don't really mean much when the FDA isn't enforcing the laws on it.

Additionally HFCS has been fed to bees in the process of making honey, which has changed the content of the honey as well as led to the dying off of colonies..

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/08/disturbing-link-high-fructose-corn-syrup-honey.html

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    No offense Dewd, but KEVINMD, "social media's leading physician voice", quotes WebMD as a source

So....

Yeah no

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    that honey what comes in a bear, is that honey? cause if not I don't know how to believe

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Usagi wrote: »
    No offense Dewd, but KEVINMD, "social media's leading physician voice", quotes WebMD as a source

So....

Yeah no

So that only cuts out this portion of the post
    Additionally HFCS has been fed to bees in the process of making honey, which has changed the content of the honey as well as led to the dying off of colonies..

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/08/disturbing-link-high-fructose-corn-syrup-honey.html

and doesn't even touch the fact that the FDA has consistently failed in enforcing labeling procedures.

Also the only portion cited to Wed-MD is an article about how the medical benefits of honey are overstated (which was reviewed by a physician and medical editor), nothing about the process of honey making or anything else in the article.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, my mom is sending me a few jars of honey and some rhubarb preserve she made from Alaska. I should ask her if she knows where the honey is from.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

So....

Yeah no

So that only cuts out this portion of the post

and doesn't even touch the fact that the FDA has consistently failed in enforcing labeling procedures.

Also the only portion cited to Wed-MD is an article about how the medical benefits of honey are overstated (which was reviewed by a physician and medical editor), nothing about the process of honey making or anything else in the article.

It was a general statement about the veracity of KevinMD as a source

He says "research shows" but then cites FoodSafetyNews.com, WebMD.com, Phys.org, and Salsalabs.com to draw conclusions to a relationship between HFCS and honeybees

He cites one PNAS study that suggests "The widespread apicultural use of honey substitutes, including high-fructose corn syrup, may thus compromise the ability of honey bees to cope with pesticides and pathogens and contribute to colony losses".

So a single study from an (assumed, it doesn't mention who funded it) unbiased scientific source, no links to NIH(or similar)-sponsored research, of which there is a ton.

I'm not disputing that maybe he's got some sort of correctness about this theory, just that a blog post is not fact especially when it's citing suspect places

Usagi on
  • Options
    Related: I get really fucking angry at sensationalist science reporting

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I know it is a real thing that is interesting and good but seriously

PNAS

makes me giggle every time

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Did you hear about the five different cancer cures we found this morning?

Pretty great news!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I know people in a Facebook group I use who are rabid antivaxxers, and they tend to point to this like pundit blog posts as primary research, which just, oh god, as someone who actually knows how to do research and what a primary source is, aurghleblargh

so bad for my blood pressure

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

Sensationalist reporting about food is the new hotness, which makes me instantly super suspicious of sites with names like food safety news.

And headlines like "Most store honey isn't honey"

They go on to clarify that when they say "Isn't Honey" they mean it's honey that's been processed

And leading claims like "More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores"

which they actually never clarify they actually mean "more than three fourths of the brands of honey"

this is a big distiction when 1 or 2% of the brands hold 80 or 90 percent of the market share!

"three fourths of the honey sold" then turns out to be "5% of the honey sold"

Sensationalism!

• Options
    What about the honey in the little bear shaped bottle?

Is that honey?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Is that honey?

I asked already! No one's answered me! They're hiding something! I've got an unlimited amount of exclamations!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Is that honey?

No, that's bear juice

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Is that honey?

No, that's bear juice

nic...

• Options

Sensationalist reporting about food is the new hotness, which makes me instantly super suspicious of sites with names like food safety news.

And headlines like "Most store honey isn't honey"

They go on to clarify that when they say "Isn't Honey" they mean it's honey that's been processed

And leading claims like "More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores"

which they actually never clarify they actually mean "more than three fourths of the brands of honey"

this is a big distiction when 1 or 2% of the brands hold 80 or 90 percent of the market share!

"three fourths of the honey sold" then turns out to be "5% of the honey sold"

Sensationalism!

but is the honey gluten free????

I need to know because little aiden and madison have a slight gluten intolerance because I saw a special on doctor oz and asked a friend of mine and she said I should kill myself for being a piece of shit yuppy

• Options
    100% organic gluten-free dog piss

• Options
    Gimme that King Arthur bread flour.

Can't make pizza without gluten

• Options
    That being said I don't know anyone with gluten intolerance.

I would probably be pretty considerate of their needs though. I'm lactose intolerant. I always ask for less cheese and never drink milk myself.

• Options
    theres a fairly solid chance that gluten intolerance isn't actually even a thing

celiac's on the otherhand

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    theres a fairly solid chance that gluten intolerance isn't actually even a thing

celiac's on the otherhand

Yeah either way if someone doesn't want gluten stuff I'd be fine with that too probably.

• Options
    yeah, I got a friend with celiac's, we gotta get her special pizza and what. some of it is pretty good!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've never had gluten free pizza, I imagine it's mostly fine actually.

I've had some shitty ass pizza before though so as long as it's cheese sauce and some kind of base I'll probably eat it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sign seen at the the Yankee Air Museum (With @Uriel)

10500362_10203606865225081_7159446844225647326_n.jpg?oh=ce6818d518eecd246243d8a48c762e8b&oe=5438C9AF&__gda__=1413180666_179090b6353ffca71d13c394d3b25f2b

So how long have you been making Emotion Chips, @Tynic?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Is that honey?

No, that's bear juice

nic...

stay away from my ...nectar

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So how long have you been making Emotion Chips, @Tynic?

Ever since we worked out how to breed sadness into potatoes.

This discussion has been closed.