KNarraway wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    it probably tastes fine, it's just not bbq

it's dipping food in bbq sauce

i don't understand how it'd be not bbq. it could very well be bbq in every way- and then if you want you dip your meat into some sauce or pour the sauce on top. i mean, if someone made me some bbq chicken on the grill where they basted it with sauce, it would not cease to be bbq chicken if i used more sauce after it came off the grill

*pushes up culinary nerd glasses*

Actually, barbecue is a very specific cooking technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

While you can barbecue on a home barbecue, many people use their BBQ / grill for grilling instead, because it's much faster and less technique-dependent.

there seems to be definite linguistic drift here. i think the common usage is that traditional bbq is smoked whereas 'non-smoked' bbq would be what, grilling while incorporating the traditional flavors of bbq?

hence, hey does anyone wanna come to my bbq almost never means does anyone wanna come watch me smoke meats at 140 degrees for 16 hours

Well no of course not, because your host began smoking the meat 14 hours prior to the time that he asked guests to arrived

My brother is a very serious BBQer

He's not reading this (yet), but when he does

He's gonna be really offended by any implication that a grilled chicken is the same as a barbecued chicken

He may actually post, that's how offended he'll be

Bbq is art. Grilling is physics. Which would you rather have in your mouth, the Mona Lisa or Steven Hawking?

*points* Exactly.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking @Blameless Cleric‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

A thought occurred when I discovered BC was your child, Belasco

And this will likely terrify spool more than you

Now, I haven't double-checked, but I'm pretty sure she'll be closer to me than to you guys

*influences*

I'm not worried because you can't breathe on land.

p sure narwhals are mammals. But don't worry they still don't have legs.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking "Blameless Cleric"‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

Don't forget debauchery.

Yeah, lots of sex and drugs

Perhaps some rock n roll

rock & roll is banned at her school due to problematic lyrics and a history of racist co-opting of AA culture.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think proximity to me is what you have to worry about

Corrupting, society shattering influence, etc.

Also crustaceans.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking "Blameless Cleric"‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

Don't forget debauchery.

Perhaps some rock n roll

It'll be indie pop-rock actually.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    KNarraway wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    it probably tastes fine, it's just not bbq

it's dipping food in bbq sauce

i don't understand how it'd be not bbq. it could very well be bbq in every way- and then if you want you dip your meat into some sauce or pour the sauce on top. i mean, if someone made me some bbq chicken on the grill where they basted it with sauce, it would not cease to be bbq chicken if i used more sauce after it came off the grill

*pushes up culinary nerd glasses*

Actually, barbecue is a very specific cooking technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

While you can barbecue on a home barbecue, many people use their BBQ / grill for grilling instead, because it's much faster and less technique-dependent.

there seems to be definite linguistic drift here. i think the common usage is that traditional bbq is smoked whereas 'non-smoked' bbq would be what, grilling while incorporating the traditional flavors of bbq?

hence, hey does anyone wanna come to my bbq almost never means does anyone wanna come watch me smoke meats at 140 degrees for 16 hours

Well no of course not, because your host began smoking the meat 14 hours prior to the time that he asked guests to arrived

My brother is a very serious BBQer

He's not reading this (yet), but when he does

He's gonna be really offended by any implication that a grilled chicken is the same as a barbecued chicken

He may actually post, that's how offended he'll be

Bbq is art. Grilling is physics. Which would you rather have in your mouth, the Mona Lisa or Steven Hawking?

*points* Exactly.

anyone that calls their BBQ art is sure to have some shitty BBQ

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Don't forget debauchery.

Perhaps some rock n roll

It'll be indie pop-rock actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNI98abVsQ

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    Ya know, if you want proof of the patriarchy just look at the state of shaving equipment.

Man, y'all don't even need to shave.

I'd agree except that my skin gets uber pissed at me when I don't, plus*...
    my husband much prefers smooth legs, so whatcha gunna do, ya know?
    *and thus I discover my spoiler usage has also changed!
    You should make him shave his legs too

I am only sorta joking rubbing smooth legs together is fucking awesome

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    and while you are learning how to shave you will be exposed to people's fancy creams and oh my god buy some from nancyboy it is the best stuff

I think I bought a jar for @organichu one year for christmas or something

I need to buy some fancy creams.

mmm now i'm hungry

what

see also: taylor of old bond st lavender

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    drinkin' coffee in anticipation of an evening of taking @Blameless Cleric‌ and several of her friends to see my brother's band plan one last *tears up* time before she abandons us for a life of debt, ice, and prison cell sized accommodations.

A thought occurred when I discovered BC was your child, Belasco

And this will likely terrify spool more than you

Now, I haven't double-checked, but I'm pretty sure she'll be closer to me than to you guys

*influences*

I'm not worried because you can't breathe on land.

p sure narwhals are mammals. But don't worry they still don't have legs.

They are mammals, but their bodies are adapted to have the water take some of their bulk off of them. Without that they suffocate.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    you can get a decent enough shave with those shit razors

But in my experience number one thing for a good shave?

Hot towel

so unbelievably better

but then I am babyface mcnobeard

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Spool what's all this shaving business

@tyrannus‌

We started using http://www.dollarshaveclub.com

For between $4 and $8 they send you a handle and 4 razors per month. Switch to a new razor style, they send you a new handle for free. Also a sample of their shave butter, which is amazing. Basically they are buying Gillette or whatever razors direct from the factory and selling them before they get branded, so it's a good deal cheaper.

Spool I switched to a safety razor and my face loves me for it. Once I found a razor blade that worked for me I was able to order a pack of 50 for 15 dollars. That pack should last me all year. The initial investment is maybe 15-20 dollars when you buy the safety razor but it's very cost effective.

Plus finding out which razor blade brand works for you is a lot of fun if you buy an assorted pack of different razors. It's wild how different the shave is.

I really want to do this! But I thought I was looking at like $60 or so to get the initial setup. You can get something worthwhile for $20 though?

In my weird experience yes. It was an impulse buy when I was in Pittsburgh a few months ago. There was a shop dedicated to shaving and hair products and all sorts of stuff like that. Walked in picked up a middle of the road razor for about 20 dollars to see if it would work for me. You can of course upgrade to a more expensive and luxurious safety razor with a pearl handle and all sorts of silly stuff but yeah I absolutely believe that you do not have to shell out 60 dollars to get a serviceable safety razor.

The whole boar bristle and lather etc setup isn't a necessary step. You can add that stuff in later if you find that the safety razor works for you (which i really think it will)

I just decided to give Harry's a shot because for $10 why not, but I haven't had to buy any shaving stuff in over 3 years since I got my safety razor and one 50 pack of assorted blades. I don't shave very often but I still have probably a third of the blades left.

If I don't shave daily I have a beard.

4 days and I have a beard large enough for birds to nest in.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    AHEM! Where's the shaving advice for women? Do I just continue to steal borrow spool32's stuff? Do any of your female significant others gank borrow your razors?

Belasco32 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ugh, I've got a good 5 years before my older boy goes to college - and the baby isn't quite 11 months old - but I am dreading it

them moving out (if they do) and such I think I'll be fine with. but paying for it. boggles the damn mind.

this microsoft stock better keep going up cause I'm already looking at needing half a million to buy a house

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    also if you start using a safety razor you will have to learn how to shave

what direction the grain of your beard grows on different areas of your face/neck

how to make a nice lather and the importance of keeping lather between your skin and a razor at all times

the angle to hold the razor on the different planes of your face and how much pressure to use

I was real mad my dad didn't teach me anything useful when it came to shaving, just here hold this blue plastic peice of shit and scrape it over your face over and over until the hairs are gone

to be fair I do this with a safety razor all the time it and works well enough

those cherubic cheeks of yours must be made of iron

I cut myself a fair number of times when I was learning to use a safety razor

and I don't ever shave against the grain because I will shred my face

• Options
    AHEM! Where's the shaving advice for women? Do I just continue to steal borrow spool32's stuff? Do any of your female significant others gank borrow your razors?

You could also just ask the women >.>

• Options

yup

until I grew out my beard anyway. then she got me a nice electric trimmer and keeps using the same kind of razors we both used to

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Ya know, if you want proof of the patriarchy just look at the state of shaving equipment.

I'd agree except that my skin gets uber pissed at me when I don't, plus*...
    my husband much prefers smooth legs, so whatcha gunna do, ya know?
    *and thus I discover my spoiler usage has also changed!
    You should make him shave his legs too

I am only sorta joking rubbing smooth legs together is fucking awesome
    I have some experience with this and agree that it is, indeed, awesome
    ...but I'm not sure I could stop laughing if spool32 shaved his legs.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

what direction the grain of your beard grows on different areas of your face/neck

how to make a nice lather and the importance of keeping lather between your skin and a razor at all times

the angle to hold the razor on the different planes of your face and how much pressure to use

I was real mad my dad didn't teach me anything useful when it came to shaving, just here hold this blue plastic peice of shit and scrape it over your face over and over until the hairs are gone

this is all the lesson I got too. I am more and more interested in this!

i got zero lessons from anyone

check your treasured father son moments privilege

i had to learn safety razor shaving by cutting my face a lot

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    single dorms aren't terrible, although I suppose it'd vary by institution

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

this is all the lesson I got too. I am more and more interested in this!

i got zero lessons from anyone

check your treasured father son moments privilege

i had to learn safety razor shaving by cutting my face a lot

I also got zero lessons

Come to think of it I can't think of any stereotypical parent bonding things I got, from or to any gender

Like the closest was my mom helping me with some makeup stuff but I can't remember any of it.

• Options
    also @Blameless Cleric‌ once we get used to your av you can't change it

so hurry and switch to one of your excellent drawings now while you're still new

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

Any advice?

• Options
    I shaved my legs once way back in the day

the shaving part was fine but the end result wasn't worth the itchiness. and, other than on my scalp, my hair grows so fast it was a matter of hours at most before I had stubble.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think I've basically decided to move to Montreal.

I hope I can visit it for the first time soon. :cold_sweat:

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    That doesn't sound safe at all!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    you can get a decent enough shave with those shit razors

But in my experience number one thing for a good shave?

Hot towel

so unbelievably better

but then I am babyface mcnobeard

you can get a good look at a t bone by sticking your head up a cows ass

but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

to be fair I do this with a safety razor all the time it and works well enough

those cherubic cheeks of yours must be made of iron

I cut myself a fair number of times when I was learning to use a safety razor

and I don't ever shave against the grain because I will shred my face

going against the grain is unpleasant under my chin and will occasionally lead to some blood but for the most part my cheeks just don't give a fuck, I have to be a little careful on my upper and lower lip

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    damn @skippydumptruck‌ and @DasUberEdward‌ pg 91 was informative as hell and I will be digging into those links to see what I can come up with on the budget angle.

We will leave the dainty frail ladies to literally rip their hair out with burning wax or electric torture devices or lasers. Us manly men need a soft, smooth, and comfortable shave for our manly faces.

Because we're men.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

what

99% voluntary cosmetic shaving and social pressures. No actual bushes that need to be dealt with. Except for bushes, and those can just be scissor trimmed. Like I said.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I shaved my legs once way back in the day

the shaving part was fine but the end result wasn't worth the itchiness. and, other than on my scalp, my hair grows so fast it was a matter of hours at most before I had stubble.

I did once in high school

a) swimming with smooth legs is fucking amazing

b) COLD SHEETS ON SMOOTH LEGS SO GOOD A++ WOULD EXPERIENCE AGAIN

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

She'll be in a double, but it's still only 18x8, and with two desks, two small dressers, and two twin beds I'm not sure how she and her roomy are going to fit in there.

• Options

Any advice?

No I just wanted to take passive aggressive jabs!

Um

Actually I can tell you what I do, but it doesn't work super well so let me know if you have any alternatives. One thing is since I'm single I go way longer between shaving than I would otherwise. I use an electric razor to trim it down, then basically just shave with a safety razor (same one I use for my face) with some kind of lather, either shower gel or shaving soap or whatever.

That's... really all I got. I have some sugaring stuff I use when I am in the mood, and honestly what I would probably do if I had a significant other is wax/sugar, then shave when it started coming back until everything was growing back then wax/sugar again. Repeat indefinitely.

...yeah, really just let me know if you find anything better. It's something I have not been able to get working myself =/

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I once shaved everything below my hair line and eyebrows, except for I think my forearms and hands because didn't want to deal with crap at work.

I even shaved the hair on my toes.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

She'll be in a double, but it's still only 18x8, and with two desks, two small dressers, and two twin beds I'm not sure how she and her roomy are going to fit in there.
    that's larger than the double i had!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    damn @skippydumptruck‌ and @DasUberEdward‌ pg 91 was informative as hell and I will be digging into those links to see what I can come up with on the budget angle.

We will leave the dainty frail ladies to literally rip their hair out with burning wax or electric torture devices or lasers. Us manly men need a soft, smooth, and comfortable shave for our manly faces.

Because we're men.

I'm not sure if I should be offended or complimented as a woman...

So I'll just go with the old standard: fuck you!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    and while you are learning how to shave you will be exposed to people's fancy creams and oh my god buy some from nancyboy it is the best stuff

I think I bought a jar for @organichu one year for christmas or something

I need to buy some fancy creams.

mmm now i'm hungry

what

see also: taylor of old bond st lavender

if i get promoted. it'll be a purchase.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

and all the boys they're going to be having premarital sex with

• Options

what

99% voluntary cosmetic shaving and social pressures. No actual bushes that need to be dealt with. Except for bushes, and those can just be scissor trimmed. Like I said.

Oh

Then, yes

I was confused

This discussion has been closed.