Options

Stopping someone from driving?

2»

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I didn't mean for the OP to literally call the police and say "This is Tom Stephenson and my grandmother, Irene Stephenson, has had too much to drink," but by doing what folks usually do when reporting a drunk driver; "hey I'm going south on I-73 and this Chevy is all over the road."

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I didn't mean for the OP to literally call the police and say "This is Tom Stephenson and my grandmother, Irene Stephenson, has had too much to drink," but by doing what folks usually do when reporting a drunk driver; "hey I'm going south on I-73 and this Chevy is all over the road."

And it is still a terrible idea.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Like, best possible case scenario, the cops end up doing nothing, and you just wasted their time they could have been using to fight actual crime.

Worst case scenario, OPs Grandma winds up dead.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    A non emergency line is not a terrible idea. It's certainly a much, much better idea than sabotaging the car. That's some cartoon silliness.

If OP feels that his grandmother might kill someone as a worst case scenario, he needs to take an action that corresponds to that.

But yeah, don't call an emergency line / report a DUI.

I'd actually try the doctor again, and put some pressure on him - cite the sources from earlier in the thread.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah calling the non emergency police line is not the worst thing you could do. It's not the best thing, the best thing would be to take away her car, and get someone of authority in writing agreeing that this is the right action. Judge or doctor or some sort of person who carries weight. A cop writing a ticket or giving you advice isn't necessarily enough.

But it appears OP is afraid of what this could mean to her independence. Which is okay, we all are worried about stuff like that. The problem is her independence does come at a cost, and eventually she will either hurt someone or herself. So no, calling the non-emergency police line isn't bad, if you're just looking for advice on how to address a dangerous driver in the family and not actually reporting her for anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    seriously guys I'm not calling the police on my grandmother

this can probably be closed

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Taking away a car from an elderly person who can no longer control it is not an unusual problem. I googled it and apparently the thing to do is to contact the DMV.

http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/Ways-to-Legally-Get-Your-Elderly-Parent-s-Keys-112307.htm

This discussion has been closed.