Options

not a shitty classical music [chat]

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Honestly if you're gonna hit a bank then your best bet is the safety deposit boxes but that's rolling the dice.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    You're hoping for a ton of scrap gold and gems. But that's a bitch to pawn.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    She just. She just. She said I love Skrillex.

w8 wat's rong with skrillex...

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I shouldn't read about astronomy before bed, how can I sleep when reality is so vast and my existence so brief and pointless?

• Options
    If you get lucky you hit a stash of bearer bonds but again, rolling the dice. If you have the right connections the shit ton of birth certificates and legal documents might make you some money. But for identity theft you really need the right connections. If you get a bunch of passports then flying to Thailand can be an attractive option.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I shouldn't read about astronomy before bed, how can I sleep when reality is so vast and my existence so brief and pointless?

I recommend a snuggly blanket.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

I recommend a snuggly woman

• Options
    I totally haven't spent time planning this at all. Not even a little.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Disagree. I think expensive cards are expensive because Wizard are money-grubbing assholes.

Even if this were true (it isn't), that doesn't explain why a card like Cryptic Command is $40 while another rare 4-mana counterspell like Last Word is $1.

If you're looking for a counterspell to put in your deck, you have a choice between Last Word and Cryptic Command. Or Cancel, Counterspell, Dissipate, Draining Whelk, Counterlash, or any number of other serviceable counterspells that don't cost $40.

There's no need to proxy the expensive card. Unless, that is, somebody wants to maximize every possible competitive advantage they need to win, in which case I probably wouldn't want to play Commander with them.

in addition to what Feral said, how does the prices on the secondary card market benefit Hasbro (who have owned WOTC for ages now)?

WOTC does not ever sell singles for market rates. Back when I worked for them as a retail monkey the rumor was this was to avoid charges of gambling. From boosters, WOTC earns exactly as much money from a basic land as the rarest card in a given set. From constructed decks, I seem to recall decks whose market-value for their cards differ wildly retail for the same so again, no difference in profit to WOTC.

I wanna note that I chose those examples for a reason: Cryptic Command has seen two reprints while Last Word has seen none.

If it were just a question of constricted supply, Cryptic Command's value should have gone down after it's most recent reprinting last year in Modern Masters. It didn't. It went up.

That's a function of demand. Latent demand, specifically. There are a lot of people who wanted that card but assumed they'd never get one. Then Modern Masters was printed and they'd draft 1 or 2 then decide to hit the singles market to fill out their playsets of 4. Same thing happened with Tarmogoyf.

They want to keep their business profitable in the long term, but that's not the same as money-grubbing.

A money-grubbing exec would have printed as much Modern Masters as they could to meet demand, then jump ship for another product line. But that would alienate some of their customers who previously purchased Tarmogoyfs on the singles market. They know that when card values fall rapidly, people feel cheated and shammed.

They're trying to ease costs down, without doing it too abruptly.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Final thought of the night. I just want it to be morning. And to be at work. At my desk. Hating work.

Back into the fray chatterdoodles.

For fuck's sake just kiss her, you ass.

I'm real dumb. But no. I am not kissing that baggage.

Too much baggage for DUE says a lot.

it's only baggage if you decide to carry it with you?

True. I just. I just want to leave her. So badly.

But that would be wrong. Not going to play pull drunk girl off of the dance floor. Just. Hmm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disagree. I think expensive cards are expensive because Wizard are money-grubbing assholes.

Even if this were true (it isn't), that doesn't explain why a card like Cryptic Command is $40 while another rare 4-mana counterspell like Last Word is $1.

If you're looking for a counterspell to put in your deck, you have a choice between Last Word and Cryptic Command. Or Cancel, Counterspell, Dissipate, Draining Whelk, Counterlash, or any number of other serviceable counterspells that don't cost $40.

There's no need to proxy the expensive card. Unless, that is, somebody wants to maximize every possible competitive advantage they need to win, in which case I probably wouldn't want to play Commander with them.

in addition to what Feral said, how does the prices on the secondary card market benefit Hasbro (who have owned WOTC for ages now)?

WOTC does not ever sell singles for market rates. Back when I worked for them as a retail monkey the rumor was this was to avoid charges of gambling. From boosters, WOTC earns exactly as much money from a basic land as the rarest card in a given set. From constructed decks, I seem to recall decks whose market-value for their cards differ wildly retail for the same so again, no difference in profit to WOTC.

I wanna note that I chose those examples for a reason: Cryptic Command has seen two reprints while Last Word has seen none.

If it were just a question of constricted supply, Cryptic Command's value should have gone down after it's most recent reprinting last year in Modern Masters. It didn't. It went up.

That's a function of demand. Latent demand, specifically. There are a lot of people who wanted that card but assumed they'd never get one. Then Modern Masters was printed and they'd draft 1 or 2 then decide to hit the singles market to fill out their playsets of 4. Same thing happened with Tarmogoyf.

They want to keep their business profitable in the long term, but that's not the same as money-grubbing.

A money-grubbing exec would have printed as much Modern Masters as they could to meet demand, then jump ship for another product line. But that would alienate some of their customers who previously purchased Tarmogoyfs on the singles market. They know that when card values fall rapidly, people feel cheated and shammed.

They're trying to ease costs down, without doing it too abruptly.

It's still 200 bucks! Like Ok, maybe that's not entirely Wizards' fault, but it is a consequence of the CCG market strat.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    MtG is one of those things where I just find the cost baffling

For some reason I can look at a bunch of plastic minis from GW and be all "It costs what it does to support the game, and you're not always going to be buying more..." and then Magic for me is like "$50 buxxxos for a piece of cardboard?!" when it really shouldn't be that surprising to me

But still

*pours gasoline over WotC, lights match*

• Options
    I haven't gone dancing in forever. :(

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Final thought of the night. I just want it to be morning. And to be at work. At my desk. Hating work.

Back into the fray chatterdoodles.

For fuck's sake just kiss her, you ass.

I'm real dumb. But no. I am not kissing that baggage.

Too much baggage for DUE says a lot.

it's only baggage if you decide to carry it with you?

True. I just. I just want to leave her. So badly.

But that would be wrong. Not going to play pull drunk girl off of the dance floor. Just. Hmm

Man, the number of men in the world who would quite happily and gratefully trade places with you is in the millions. I'm not saying you're wrong for not digging her, just... be aware how fortunate you are to be out with a lady at all.

For what it's worth, I have a softspot for trainwreck girls, but then again I have whiteknight syndrome.

• Options
    Upon reflection, rob a magic store. Way less security and apparently way more money and less traceable inventory.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Prior to Return to Ravnica, shocklands were $25+ each. They're now down to $10-15 for the second printing and $15-20 for the first printing.

Thoughseize peaked at $70 before it was in Theros. Now it's $25 old / $15 new.
    It's still 200 bucks! Like Ok, maybe that's not entirely Wizards' fault, but it is a consequence of the CCG market strat.

I totally think they underprinted Modern Masters. I think they were scared of printing another Chronicles, so they underdelivered.

There will be another Modern Masters. It hasn't been officially announced, but it's inevitable. It will probably contain fetchlands, if all omens and rumors are correct. And it will probably see a larger print run than MM1 (though likely still constrained).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I can't even. She's on a rotation between where I'm sitting. The dance floor. And the bar. It's. I am no equipped to handle this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

For some reason I can look at a bunch of plastic minis from GW and be all "It costs what it does to support the game, and you're not always going to be buying more..." and then Magic for me is like "$50 buxxxos for a piece of cardboard?!" when it really shouldn't be that surprising to me

But still

GW is a joke and I pulled the plug on them a looooooooong time ago. GW also has a MUCH smaller player base. MtG has an small entrance price point, but it inflates with time.

I play Malifaux from Wyrd and it's muuuuch cheaper. I spend a lot on it, but I get a lot of value. For the same price as 1 40k army, I can have like.... 5-6 full crews in Malifaux with extra options. Hell, I have entire FACTIONS for less than a single 40k army.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Upon reflection, rob a magic store. Way less security and apparently way more money and less traceable inventory.

what you want is a palette of sealed boxes of boosters

these days a store selling singles has a DB of their inventory (cause most sales are online mail order) so it would be way easier to find you and harder to sell than a palette of boosters

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I can't even. She's on a rotation between where I'm sitting. The dance floor. And the bar. It's. I am no equipped to handle this.

Bring me alcohol.

• Options
    KESHA were going to die young is blaring.

Not sure when I became a true old. But. I am there now. This ladies radical fake boobs inspire no zeal.

Where is my rocking chair.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, that sure is a juggalo on tinder.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Bring me alcohol.

Come to indie dance night at the auricle

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Then get in there man! Stop fucking around and talking to us.

• Options

these days a store selling singles has a DB of their inventory (cause most sales are online mail order) so it would be way easier to find you and harder to sell than a palette of boosters

Pallet would require some equipment to move. I'm guessing the afterhours break in where I just trash the computers would be easier.

• Options
    Although I did see a really tiny indie girl booty pop a tall dude bro so hard that he ran away from her.

Night not wasted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Not sure when I became a true old. But. I am there now. This ladies radical fake boobs inspire no zeal.

gif is huge

No-Quarter on
  • Options

Then get in there man! Stop fucking around and talking to us.

I have no idea what you mean.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    But really white collar crime is the way to go. It's under reported and it's where the serious bank is.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Because if you're going to do something, it's best to half-ass it.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    why do i keep playing FTL & X-COM, two games that hate me so much

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Pallet would require some equipment to move. I'm guessing the afterhours break in where I just trash the computers would be easier.

gonna need to trash a lot of computers. this stuff is usually sold via amazon

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    DasUberEdward was warned for this.

[img]http:// cdn.gifbay.com/2012/09/face_slap_in_slow_motion-2100.gif[/img]

You don't understand. I do not really enjoy this per
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Cuz FTL best game?

Jacobkosh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

But still

GW is a joke and I pulled the plug on them a looooooooong time ago. GW also has a MUCH smaller player base. MtG has an small entrance price point, but it inflates with time.

I play Malifaux from Wyrd and it's muuuuch cheaper. I spend a lot on it, but I get a lot of value. For the same price as 1 40k army, I can have like.... 5-6 full crews in Malifaux with extra options. Hell, I have entire FACTIONS for less than a single 40k army.

Nice as that sounds, I gotta have the fluff of the Warhammer universe(s), you dig?

Still though that's why I just do the FFG RPGs and not the tabletop game proper

• Options

gonna need to trash a lot of computers. this stuff is usually sold via amazon

Are they usually keeping their inventory records there? Most retail business would be keeping it locally with their accounting software.

• Options

But still

Nice as that sounds, I gotta have the fluff of the Warhammer universe(s), you dig?

Still though that's why I just do the FFG RPGs and not the tabletop game proper

Oh I hear ya. I could wax about the fluff of the nightmare future of the 41st millennium forever, but the tabletop is a joke right now. The Horus Heresy Novels are still pretty good. Also thank god for fantasy flight and what they've done with the license. Speaking of which, they have a 40k themed LCG out.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Playing those games is your superego's way of punishing you for playing too much video games

• Options
    You don't understand. I do not really enjoy this per

mmm. I'd take a bad date over no date at the moment, but I understand.

• Options
    At the end of the day I'm too lazy to be a successful criminal. Moving a pallet is effort. Carrying boxes of cards or doing demo work to open safe deposit boxes is just too much effort. I'm not a criminal because I'm a good person, I'm not a criminal because I'm lazy.

• Options
    Alright. I haven't done anything I regretted in a while.

Gonna do what DUE would do.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.