As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Advanced Edition and iPad Edition is out now! Prepare to die (a lot)!

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    In other news, I just scraped by a win with the Slug A. What a horrible ship. Now I have the joy of trying to unlock the Slug C with the ratty-ass Slug B boarding ship that lacks a medbay. Freaking slugs.

The trick to the slug B is to get yourself a clone bay ASAP. once you have that it becomes an absurdly good boarding ship.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    If anyone likes watching FTL on stream, Lethalfrag is working up to his 1,000th hour in the game.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    In other news, I just scraped by a win with the Slug A. What a horrible ship. Now I have the joy of trying to unlock the Slug C with the ratty-ass Slug B boarding ship that lacks a medbay. Freaking slugs.

The trick to the slug B is to get yourself a clone bay ASAP. once you have that it becomes an absurdly good boarding ship.

Before I headed to work I was in sector 7 with a level 2 Teleport & Clone Bay, one rock and three mantis boarders, Defense Drone I, DNA Storage, Zoltan Shield Bypass, & Reconstructive Teleport (at first I just had two scrapper arms and the reconstructive teleport, but then, within one sector, I got the DNA storage and Zoltan bypass through events and was like, "Well, do I want to beat the flagship or not?" and got rid of the scrap arms, regretfully). I sold all of my junky little weapons for a Flak II. I'm at 3.5 shields now.

I feel ready to see the Slug C.

Side note, I feel like they upped the self-repair rate of the automated ships. My established tactic for beating drones is to throw hordes of disposable clone boarders at them, and it felt like it had restored some weapons or shields before I was done trashing another room.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I think I have the most rotten luck... still trying to get the Crystal. The Rock C helps... or it WOULD, if I EVER got the Rock Homeworlds as one of my sectors.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think I have the most rotten luck... still trying to get the Crystal. The Rock C helps... or it WOULD, if I EVER got the Rock Homeworlds as one of my sectors.
    That's less "rotten luck" and more "pretty much what one should expect with such ludicrously low odds".

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    That's less "rotten luck" and more "pretty much what one should expect with such ludicrously low odds".

I suppose so, but I have been playing for hundreds of hours at this point.

Another acceptable answer would have been, "in my experience, there is no such thing as luck."

• Options
    Honestly with the Crystal ship, I'd just use a save editor or go for the alternate unlock path. They're both pretty ridiculous, which would be why you might want to go with a save editor and just skip the grinding and go right to the having fun, but if you don't want to do that the alternate unlock method is notably less bullshit than the quest.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It does help to know that the Rock Homeworlds will only appear at sector 4 or higher, so it is possible to slightly increase your odds by looking for hostile sectors from 4 onward.

Or save edit, honestly I wouldn't judge anybody for that, it's such a long shot otherwise.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This just reminds me of the time I played with Rock C with its crystal crewmember... then got the pod, opened it, and found the Rock Homeworlds all legitimately in the same game. "Are you fucking kidding me with this?"

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Finally won in FTL with every ship layout. Not doing those ship achievements because i'm not that crazy.
    43001CEC9B8F3429FC458E5A7C2956D3D31A846A
    I tried for hours to trying to unlock the crystal cruiser the legit way, then I said "Fuck it" and used a save editor.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I realized the other day that I still hadn't unlocked the Zoltan B or C in Advanced, so I set out to fix that.

Didn't win with the A, but managed to unlock the B. Won easily with the B (turns out, all you really need on that ship is a Flak I and its basic armament... the fact that I had Clone Bay, Backup DNA, Reconstructive Teleport, and two suicidal Mantis was just icing).

Zoltan C is hilarious. When you first look at it, it really looks like an awesome, if challenging, ship.
    The Charge Ion/Beam Drone combo puts one to mind of an Engi ship, but then you realize that the ship only has a Reactor strength of TWO. Which means, in order to run the shields, drones, and weapons, you essentially have to have your crew run around powering systems with their internal energy... meaning that frequently such minor details like Engines or Oxygen remain neglected.

AND, as the topper, Reactor upgrades start at 30 scrap each.
    Fuckin' Zoltans.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I realized the other day that I still hadn't unlocked the Zoltan B or C in Advanced, so I set out to fix that.

Didn't win with the A, but managed to unlock the B. Won easily with the B (turns out, all you really need on that ship is a Flak I and its basic armament... the fact that I had Clone Bay, Backup DNA, Reconstructive Teleport, and two suicidal Mantis was just icing).

Zoltan C is hilarious. When you first look at it, it really looks like an awesome, if challenging, ship.
    The Charge Ion/Beam Drone combo puts one to mind of an Engi ship, but then you realize that the ship only has a Reactor strength of TWO. Which means, in order to run the shields, drones, and weapons, you essentially have to have your crew run around powering systems with their internal energy... meaning that frequently such minor details like Engines or Oxygen remain neglected.

Fuckin' Zoltans.
    Since you didn't mention it, i'll mention that there is a battery pack subsystem on the Zoltan C. The only reason I think it's worth mentioning is because it took me about 6 deaths to notice it.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Robes wrote: »

Fuckin' Zoltans.
    Since you didn't mention it, i'll mention that there is a battery pack subsystem on the Zoltan C. The only reason I think it's worth mentioning is because it took me about 6 deaths to notice it.

I did find it eventually, yeah. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a ridiculous ship.

• Options
    I saw this article and figured it was relevant to FTL players.

FAIR WARNING: Link is not to a Kickstarter, but it is an article about a Kickstarter project. Which is still relevant to FTL, I think, given its origin.

• Options
    So like FTL with Bolos? Sold.

• Options
    I was sold by the Car Wars reference. I had so much Car Wars junk back in the day.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Cool, Convoy got funded.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've decided to play FTL for the first time since it launched. My prior two games in 2014 were horrible experiences, but people wouldn't shut up with how good the game is. So after getting a lot of Rogue-like games under my belt (Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, etc), I'm giving it another go.

I've been recording my adventures in the Steam thread, but felt that I should be posting them here instead. Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated. Oh, and if anyone wants to be a crew member, let me know! @cooljammer00 is slated to be my Captain on the next mission.

Mods: I hope bringing back a thread from 2014 isn't a violation. I didn't see anything about it in the rules.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This is one of those things that sounds obvious but might actually slip someone's mind... pause. Pause a lot. Pause any time you even think you might need to think about something. Pause any time you want to change something. You have unlimited use of pause, so there's no reason you should ever lose a crew member, repair too slow, or lose hull points because you missed an input or didn't click on the right thing in time.

Also, seriously, there's no shame in playing on Easy until you get your first clear. "Easy", I think, is measured in terms of the experienced player; it's still plenty brutal if you, for instance, don't know the best choices for each event, what weapons and crew are worth taking, and so on.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    A little off-topic, but how did that Convoy game ever turn out? :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Once more into the Breach Galaxy I go! Captain @cooljammer00 will surely lead us to safety! First Mate @Kupi and 2nd Lieutenant @Santa Claustrophobia will keep things from getting too far out of hand....I hope!

Edit: Things....did not go well. Everyone died to a Mantis raiding party in Area 2 that shut off all the O2. I forced them to fight in the medbay by airing out the ship, but they Ion my weapon systems offline while they were at 1 hull. 2 crew members died trying to restore the O2 when another Mantis warped in. Sigh....

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah door upgrades are quite good.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Putting somebody on the doors during a boarding can provide extra seconds for a vacuum strategy to work.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Mostly Positive.
    Also, there used to be (at least) a rule about necroposting. But there also used to be a rule that generally overlooked it if you weren't just adding a comment to an old thread that was more or less settled. So it's probably fine.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    In Easy mode I tend to do the ff priorities at the very first Sector (which kinda seems to be the standard approach (?)):

Priority 1: Scrap Recovery Arm. That means jumping into stores with at least 50 Scrap*, hopefully before you're done with two Sectors. After that it goes down in priority.
    Priority 2: While the Arm isn't around, bump up Shields to two pips, and Engines around 3-ish? This gives you a lot of breathing room once you set this up, as you won't need to repair as much.
    Priority 2a: When you got enough defense, and you spot a "training opportunity", max out at least the one skill each of your crew needs (if you don't mind you can max em all, but that's like, an hour).
    Priority 3: A weapon your ship sorely needs (lasers/flak for the Engi/Rock ships, for instance)
    Priority 4: 1 Door upgrade (can wait, really)
    Priority 5: 1 Med Bay upgrade (can wait as well, but the blue options this opens up are all good)

O2 and Autopilot upgrade I don't do until mid-game, when it's the cheapest option atm.
    I rarely buy crewmates, and especially never at the first Sector.

* This means if you don't have the scrap, get into a scrap first via checking out the store's adjacent nodes, time permitting.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I was doing so well until I ran into an early boss fight and died horribly. Something about the place where they build the final boss.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

It turned out really well.

I especially loved pulling off well timed trapped ramming or screwing up the controls of an enemy with a well timed EMP shot, no matter how tough they are, they aren't tougher than a one way trip into a rock face from the side or by careening into a canyon.

A lot of the lil side missions were fantastic with some really cool rewards. There was plenty to like that was specific to their Space Man Spiff crashed into Mad Max World but also plenty that was referential as all get out.

I still boot it up and play it from time to time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I was doing so well until I ran into an early boss fight and died horribly. Something about the place where they build the final boss.

iirc that's a ship unlock event. Good try!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    All the subsystem upgrades are really useful for how little they cost. Not to a degree that they should be your highest priority; I'll usually prioritize getting a second layer of shields in sector one over them, but getting sensors up to be able to track enemy crew to try and inflict as much HP damage as you can to them or to more effectively stifle their repair efforts and getting doors up to neuter enemy boarding parties and contain fires are legitimately powerful tools. Getting piloting up is less of a matter of power per se, but if it gets knocked out later in the game as dodge becomes more important to your survivability, it can be a big fucking problem, so the extra subsystem health can be a lifesaver.

cB557 on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Hmm, I haven't played on easy at all, but I think the only differences are scrap related? Anyways here's some tips in the hopes of everyone being more successful.
    • You want to upgrade your shields to two dots asap and keep upgrading to stay ahead of the ships you are fighting.
    • You want to have a plan for missiles. Defense drone 1, cloaking, zoltan shield, shield drone, alpha strike their weapons before they fire, but you'll want something if you are going to have a successful run.
    • When you get in a situation where the other ship can't touch you, go get a drink while your crew skills up. Kind of cheap but that extra evasion and shield time can save your life.
    • Turn on show connections under options and then plan a route to hit the most beacons without dead-ending yourself.
    • If there are two extra jumps in range, its usually worth paying the mercenary to delay the rebels
    • Its almost always worth trapping the cache with missiles.
    • Try to jump to every nebula beacon possible, this will let you hit many more beacons.
    • Missiles are unreliable, since ammo and defense drones can suck.
    • Take all the blue options.
    • Events that almost always kill you: Giant Alien Spiders and Great Zoltan Eye.
    • If I lose crew or something goes drastically wrong in sector 1, I'll restart and save myself the wasted trip.
    • When planning which sector to hit next remember Rockmen=Missile Ships, Mantis= Boarders, Zoltan = Super Shields, Abandoned = No Oxygen on ships. Some of these will be better than others depending on which sectors you go to.
    • Pause the game frequently, especially when things are going to hell and make a plan. If there is a fire, a lot of times the best move is to abandon the room and vent it instead of trying to firefight.
    • The ship you start with is pretty decent to try and win the game with. The alien ships have a huge range of viability, some start off in amazing shape and some are uh Serenity. If you are just starting off the first ship is probably the best bet to beat the game.
    • Killing the other crew gets you much more scrap, weapons, and augments. I'll pretty much always buy a teleporter if I see one.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've always made a beeline for teleporters and boarding. You get pretty much the best rewards for killing the crew over destroying the ship. And with enough shields and evasion, you can utterly kneecap the final boss. Like I'm almost surprised they've never changed the layout of the final boss to somewhat nerf the strat of killing everybody except the beam gunner and having near full reign of the ship.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My problem, when I first started, was that I took the story seriously and made a beeline for the sector exit. We have to get this urgent message through as soon as possible!

• Options
    It's a bold strategy Cotton.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, and due to the realities of how the game is designed (and/or actually meant to be played), it usually results in running into the final boss like a bug on a windshield, if something else doesn't get you first.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Thanks @38thDoe that's some very useful stuff. I've never boarded an enemy before, so I had no idea you get better rewards for it. I'm assuming your crew safely warps back or, well actually, how does it work?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Thanks @38thDoe that's some very useful stuff. I've never boarded an enemy before, so I had no idea you get better rewards for it. I'm assuming your crew safely warps back or, well actually, how does it work?

They do not. You have to make sure to teleport them back. Which means you need to be really careful.

-If you blow up the ship while crewmembers are on it, they're dead. So if you're shooting out the weapons, make sure you don't set the autofire up and accidently get too trigger happy.
    -If the ship warps out while crewmembers are on it, they're gone (dead).
    -If you kill all of the enemy crew, the encounter is over and your teleporter, if it was on cooldown, is automatically refreshed much like the FTL counter does. But you're not always out of hot water. If the ship is on fire, or keeps getting hit by asteroids, and somehow blows up that way while crewmembers are on it... they're dead.
    -The teleporter however does not instantly refresh if you're in a hostile environment like an ion storm or solar flare, again much like the FTL counter doesn't. So you'll have to wait for it to come back up if necessary.
    -And finally, if you have a brain fart and don't teleport your crewmembers back and fly away... they're gone (dead).

90% of the time, you kill everybody, ding get your rewards, and can instantly teleport back and be on your way. It's the above 10% you gotta pay attention for.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The game reminds you before jumping out that you have crew on the other ship.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Oh, that's nice! I don't think it did originally in the vanilla game...and I learned my lesson so well that I never made that mistake again. Although I haven't played too much of the game since it got that huge update all those years ago.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Oh, that's nice! I don't think it did originally in the vanilla game...and I learned my lesson so well that I never made that mistake again. Although I haven't played too much of the game since it got that huge update all those years ago.

Might have been added in Advanced. The Wiki says it tells you.

• Options
    In the 4th area of my current run. Trying to focus on killing enemy crew, especially since I got this bio beam weapon. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to consistently get the shields down long enough to zap the crew. And if I do, they run to the medbay and heal before I can zap them again.

Granted, they aren’t in the ship systems, so I can more easily destroy the ship, but I want those sweet rewards.

I passed on a tractor beam because I needed shields and engines. I’m also concerned with teleporting my people over one at a time. Sounds like a quick way to die.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page