As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek Wedding [chat] (BIG PICTURES IN OP; NSFData)

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
I spent this last weekend attending the wedding of my best friend Shawn to his awesome bride Brandy. For fifteen years, Shawn has told all his girlfriends that he would only marry if the ceremony could be held on the bridge of the Enterprise. He finally found a girl willing to call that bluff (she had in fact tried to talk her previous husband into it, but he preferred a chapel in Vegas, because, you know, that's more serious). The only hard part was finding an actual Enterprise bridge to have the ceremony on, but the Star Trek Experience (formerly in Las Vegas, now relocated to the Mall of America) supplied the answer, although there were no seats for the helmsmen and Spock's console was on the wrong side, if you can believe that bullshit.

I traveled from KC to Minneapolis by road. I can't drive myself anymore because of my eyes, but my dear friend Theresa was not only willing but eager to be my chauffeur and date to the event. The road trip was one of the best I've ever been on; the six hours flew by and the iPod loaded with music and audiobooks turned out to be completely superfluous. I may not know much, guys, but holy shit I can tell you this: if you find someone you can never run out of stuff to talk about with, do your best to keep them around.

Guests were asked to attend in "sci-fi costume" in lieu of gifts (good luck trying to explain the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars/etc to rural Missourians) and this was later amended to "just wear a costume." A couple sad sacks refused, but only a couple out of a few dozen attendees. I was really impressed by both how game everyone was, and how quickly the crowd loosened up. You could see the self-consciousness draining away, and I was treated to sights like a seventy-year-old white woman and a twenty-five year old black dude, both in Next Gen outfits, cackling like hens together. That, to me, is a result.

Shawn asked me to officiate, so here is the sermon I wrote along with the ceremony we cooked up together after watching every wedding in every Star Trek episode or movie that featured one (there were only five, actually) and looking up some Klingon on the Internet.
Ladies and gentlemen, non-gendered species, and synthetic lifeforms, as captain of this vessel, I welcome you on behalf of the United Federation of Planets.

Since the days of the first sailing ships, all captains have enjoyed the happy privilege of joining together two people in the bonds of matrimony. And it is such a purpose that brings us together today, as we join you, Brandy, and you, Shawn, together to be wed.

IDIC. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination. Together with logic, it forms the foundation of Vulcan philosophy: a celebration of our infinitely vast, infinitely varied cosmos. and how we are bettered when that diversity is harnessed. On one unremarkable Class M planet, six billion human beings live and die and work and love, and no two of them are exactly alike.

The universe is unimaginably vast, and yet no other entity in the universe has your exact perspective, your exact experiences, your exact skills. All of us have something to teach All of us have something to learn. If there is a continuing mission in life, it lies in finding out what those are, and finding someone to share them with.

The two people before you have found theirs.

Gift Exchange
(Jake) And now, Shawn and Brandy would like to present gifts they have selected for one another
(Jake) Shawn, please present your gift to Brandy.
(Shawn gives gift to Brandy)
(Jake) Repeat after me: Brandy, I give you this medical tricorder as my gift to you. As our home's medical officer, enjoy it and know how much I love you.
(Shawn repeats)
(Jake) Brandy, please present your gift to Shawn
(Brandy gives gift to Shawn)
(Jake) Repeat after me: Shawn, I give you this bat'leth as my gift to you. As our home's security officer, enjoy it and know how much I love you.
(Brandy repeats)

May we please have the rings?
(Rings are presented)

Vows/Ring Exchange:
(Jake) Shawn, does your heart beat only for this woman?
(Shawn) Yes
(Jake) And will you swear to join with her and stand with her against all who oppose you?
(Shawn) I swear
(Jake) Shawn repeat after me: Imzadi, I give you this ring as a sign of our union.
(Shawn repeats)

(Jake) Brandy, does your heart beat only for this man?
(Brandy) Yes
(Jake) And do you swear to join with him and stand with him against all who would oppose you?
(Brandy) I swear
(Jake) Brandy repeat after me: Imzadi, I give you this ring as a sign of our union.
(Brandy repeats)

(Jake) And now, Shawn and Brandy will complete the Klingon Oath of Union
(Brandy) jIH dok ("My Blood")
(Shawn) maj dok ("Our Blood")
(Shawn and Brandy) Tlinghan jIH ("I am Klingon")

(Jake)Then let all present here today know that this man and this woman are married. You may kiss the bride...make it so!
(Smooch)
(Jake)Ladies and gentleman, I present you Shawn and Brandy Lastname. May this couple live long and prosper. [Vulcan salute]

I'm pleased to say it went beautifully, even though technical difficulties led to my blind ass having to read the text off a smartphone rather than the large (and Trek-appropriate) tablet I had brought.

On the way out of the ceremony and to the reception, which ended right as the Mall of America was actually opening to the public, we got stopped several times by tourists asking for pictures with us. I've never done cosplay or anything like that, so it was an interesting experience. In a crowd of twenty people dressed in uniforms, though, you feel almost normal.

The reception was held in a conference room on a different floor of the mall. Mimosas and coffee were provided, along with food, and the tables were scattered with packets of astronaut ice cream and little Geordi visors for everyone. There was none of the usual reception rigmarole; just an emcee (the inimitable Al Burnes, KC actor and dancer, look him up and hire him pls) and a procession of friends taking turns at the microphone telling stories about the couple. It was simple and touching. My date, who is a very rational person in that quietly skeptical upper-Midwestern Frances McDormand-in-Fargo kind of way and tends to not have a lot of time for the whole idea of weddings and babies and the patriarchy in general, was beaming. Er, in the smile way, not in the matter-transmission way.

Then she and I left the Mlps region to visit Wisconsin and stay in her aunt and uncle's log cabin for a couple of nights and eat cheese curds and drink Wisconsin beer in the middle of an AT&T coverage hole that was, like, a hundred miles across so that is why I have not really posted until today.

I promised pictures when I got back, so here they are.

Bride, groom, and her/their children:
BfAIfpT.jpg?1

Qb6TyZ7.jpg?1

yvMzQPk.jpg?1

Yl9wOAn.jpg?1

r4wH6i9.jpg?1

Father and stepmother of the groom:
X6UGr71.jpg?1

Our friend Tim was the DJ. As a comics dude, he came as Tim 2099:
nYcBbLG.jpg?1

VScI5xC.jpg?1

JMwWomm.jpg?1

srR3mYU.jpg?1

UndWwhM.jpg?1

2CuP4qP.jpg?1

TTCOfgU.jpg?1

Our friend AJ, a filmmaker in California, did the filming duties as Peter Parker:
d9baAoq.jpg?1

zroqnWE.jpg?1

me13cS9.jpg?1

My date having trouble with Tribbles:
GkYVkLP.jpg?1

The sign at the hotel. WHOOP, WHOOP.
14e6sml.jpg?1

TFiVPyw.jpg?1

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    omg mod closes thread so he can start the next chat

YOU ARE DRUNK WITH POWER JAKE

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    also j8ke hav u heard about iphone 6 is best phone

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Is Shawn one of the people we played CoX with?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Look at that freakin' kid showing up as an assassin to a Star Trek wedding.

just like when Hank ruined the Venture Halloween

brock-samson-chewbacca.jpg

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ALSO I DID NOT KNOW BUT LEGEND OF GRIMROCK 2 COMES OUT TOMORRROW OMG SOO OMANANANYGAMMESSSSSSSSS

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    norway is getting new monies and they look like pixel arts

I am jelly

3036911-slide-s-3-inside-the-design-of-norways-beautiful.jpg

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3036911/fast-feed/inside-the-design-of-norways-beautiful-new-banknotes

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    there were no seats for the helmsmen and Spock's console was on the wrong side, if you can believe that bullshit.

Grounds for annullment imo

Deebaser on
  • Options
    how about the time we were the hard-rocking quartet of Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, and The Bat?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I thought the star trek experience was a next gen joint.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    F# is the best chord ever

fact

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @echo

He's walking with a cane at the moment. So the Martial Arts training perhaps didn't go as well as planned.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

The Vegas one was.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Watching Lud borderland while doing online trainings.

God I hope my work laptop is in today when I go in for a meeting.

Then I can do some actual work.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    that DPRK twitter isn't real, is it?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    That wedding sounds like the most fun.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes he is! He played the big bull dude with the shield, if you remember that. And our friend Ryan (the spock ears) was the one in our group with the most level 50s.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

fact

F# Maj?

How boring.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2014
    syndalis wrote: »

fact

F# Maj?

How boring.

um no

this is the chord that apple computers play when you turn them on

hence, the best

Vanguard on
  • Options

fact

f hashtag

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    @echo

He's walking with a cane at the moment. So the Martial Arts training perhaps didn't go as well as planned.

You should see the other ninehundred guys.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Skippy I want a 2014 civic coupe ex (with 300+ watt sound system, push to start, moonroof etc) for 21.5k or a 2013 lx coupe (with backup camera wtf so pro... can you believe these are just standard on 13 and higher civics?) with 10-15k miles for 16k or a 2009 civic ex coupe with 55k miles for 11.8k

Life is harder than it's ever been, friend

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    that DPRK twitter isn't real, is it?

Yeah, it's parody.

But it might as well not be.

• Options
    F♯A♯∞

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Skippy I want a 2014 civic coupe ex (with 300+ watt sound system, push to start, moonroof etc) for 21.5k or a 2013 lx coupe (with backup camera wtf so pro... can you believe these are just standard on 13 and higher civics?) with 10-15k miles for 16k or a 2009 civic ex coupe with 55k miles for 11.8k

your fortunes have turned for the better!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    If there ever was a person you could point to and say they look like a star trek extra, groom's dad.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Yes he is! He played the big bull dude with the shield, if you remember that. And our friend Ryan (the spock ears) was the one in our group with the most level 50s.

I do recall him, he was a nice guy.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

it was in vegas, but they actually threw that bridge out. Like, out into the trash! Then they built a new smaller OG bridge in the smaller Mall of America venue.

Some dude picked the Next Gen one up and had a big Kickstarter to restore and raised a fuckton of money and apparently it looks pretty great now, with beeping, flashing consoles and stuff, but due to Kickstarter mission creep he is trying to turn it into some kind of big sci-fi museum and it won't be ready for like another couple of years. Brandy was emailing him a lot to try and see if he would just let people use the bridge for the wedding and he was like NO NO IT HAS TO BE PERFECT so the couple said fuck it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

fact

F# Maj?

How boring.

um no

hence, the best

I mean, its a soothing, "cool stuff is about to happen sound" as the "bong" noise.

But there are better chords musically.

Even "Plain Jane" Em has more soul.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    in grimrock 2 there's an alchemist class that grows plants in their inventory

and ratling and insect races

hnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options

backup cameras are about to be standard on every car... federal regulations are requiring them starting in 2018 iirc

919UOwT.png
  • Options

it was in vegas, but they actually threw that bridge out. Like, out into the trash! Then they built a new smaller OG bridge in the smaller Mall of America venue.

Some dude picked the Next Gen one up and had a big Kickstarter to restore and raised a fuckton of money and apparently it looks pretty great now, with beeping, flashing consoles and stuff, but due to Kickstarter mission creep he is trying to turn it into some kind of big sci-fi museum and it won't be ready for like another couple of years. Brandy was emailing him a lot to try and see if he would just let people use the bridge for the wedding and he was like NO NO IT HAS TO BE PERFECT so the couple said fuck it.

nerds, man

• Options

fact

F# Maj?

How boring.

um no

hence, the best

I mean, its a soothing, "cool stuff is about to happen sound" as the "bong" noise.

But there are better chords musically.

Even "Plain Jane" Em has more soul.

was jork

all my favorite chords tend to be minor or diminished

• Options
    In addition there is a secret eighth class. You have to wait until Wednesday to find out yourself what it is. It is meant for advanced players and changes a core aspect of the game in a radical way.

hnnnnnnnnngggggggghhhhhhhhhh

• Options

you are like sarah

only the very latest model year is attractive everything else is trash car for garbage people

if I were you I'd go a few years older with higher trim, maybe? you seem to enjoy the little gadgets and upgrades and shit

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I feel like I can't go on with the internship again...

I just can't deal with everyday stress. :(

I'll keep coming... I need to, I can't run away...

Ugh... I wanna give up so bad.

• Options
    I don't really care about that stuff but I had a 1999 jeep grand cherokee that had different fobs for different drivers

so when I opened the door, the mirrors moved to my preference and the driver seat went back, and when sarah opened the door the seat moved up and the mirrors adjusted

I really miss that : (

• Options
    in grimrock 2 there's an alchemist class that grows plants in their inventory

and ratling and insect races

hnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I grew a tomato in my sink once.

Then I decided I needed to do the dishes more often.

• Options

somehow i am not surprised

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @OnTheLastCastle‌ mini ninjas was cute from the bit I played on PC! However I demand more. Wire fu and swordplay and Kung fu games! Why are there not more?

@Gooey‌ petite and slate gray (like I like my women)

This discussion has been closed.