Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    why is toronto cold in the winter and gross in the summer omfg

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Book 4 of the Dark Tower is King's best plotted long work by far. It was like he wrote it in the throes of demonic possession. All the stuff he normally eschews, the foreshadowing and really well-timed intersecting character arcs and mounting tension, are present in spades, and it builds and builds until it finally explodes in something that feels as horrible and yet perfectly inevitable as a Greek tragedy.

Right, it definitely stands out in the series which, up until that point, was kind of a suspenseful fantasy thriller. As I recall the ending of book 3, very beginning of book 4 was:
    Roland and crew on a bullet train controlled by a psychotic AI that would maybe kill them all if they didn't best the AI in a game of riddles?

How you move from that to Wizard and Glass is a mystery to me.

He took a long time between books 1-3 and book 4, I think. Then even longer until he finished the god damn series.

It was at least 20 years. I think more.

WTF is going on in The Dark Tower is ... an interesting topic.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Book 4 of the Dark Tower is King's best plotted long work by far. It was like he wrote it in the throes of demonic possession. All the stuff he normally eschews, the foreshadowing and really well-timed intersecting character arcs and mounting tension, are present in spades, and it builds and builds until it finally explodes in something that feels as horrible and yet perfectly inevitable as a Greek tragedy.

Right, it definitely stands out in the series which, up until that point, was kind of a suspenseful fantasy thriller. As I recall the ending of book 3, very beginning of book 4 was:
    Roland and crew on a bullet train controlled by a psychotic AI that would maybe kill them all if they didn't best the AI in a game of riddles?

He took a long time between books 1-3 and book 4, I think. Then even longer until he finished the god damn series.

I think you're right, and probably coincides with him kicking his cocaine habit?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    cass, i can go outside in shorts and a t-shirt because it is 74 degrees.

dunked

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    almost 30 years, Gunslinger was in the early 80s (and I think he WROTE it in the 70s)

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I couldn't get into the Dark Tower stuff.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I wonder if The Dark Tower would work better if you put the flashback after book 1, obviously would have to change up the intro outro but maybe it wouldn't disrupt the pacing as much. Plus it might fit better with the delirium of the beginning of the second book?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

I think you're right, and probably coincides with him kicking his cocaine habit?

Maybe. He wrote a lot of other stuff in between since he's crazy prolific.

I think he actually realized he had to finish it after that guy almost killed him when he was out walking along.

So of course
    he wrote that into the story........ and made the guy an accidental agent of the bad guys

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    and yeah a significant number of problems with the early Stephen King books are "lol cocaine" and many of the problems with his later books are "lol recovery"

you really can't win if you judge an author by that standard

• Options
    man, i reaaaaally like when he wakes up on the beach of the 2nd book and those crazy lobsters

shudder

Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?

shudder

• Options
    and yeah a significant number of problems with the early Stephen King books are "lol cocaine" and many of the problems with his later books are "lol recovery"

he wrote the tommyknockers in one cocaine fueled weekend!! he does not remember writing it

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    "Alexander was a winner... pity the film wasn't. Alexander never lost a battle in his life. And I have let him down. He was a fighter, the sort of man who would have gone after Osama Bin Laden and never given up. But I didn't see this coming, this utter trashing of the movie. I should have. The criticism has been ball-breaking. I was devastated, Colin Farrell was devastated. The audiences, they didn't know the story, and they were confused by it. I did that wrong. That was my fault."

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I pay £4 for a haircut.

Shave and a haircut ...
    *tap tap*
    ... two bits.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ha! Looking at the book list. I have read every book of his up to Needful Things.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    cass, i can go outside in shorts and a t-shirt because it is 74 degrees.

dunked

You are dunked in a pool of your own sweat.

• Options

he wrote the tommyknockers in one cocaine fueled weekend!! he does not remember writing it

I got that book as a gift when I was a kid. I should try re-reading it now.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder if The Dark Tower would work better if you put the flashback after book 1, obviously would have to change up the intro outro but maybe it wouldn't disrupt the pacing as much. Plus it might fit better with the delirium of the beginning of the second book?

The comics from marvel are an interesting take on mixing things up...

The comics are damn-near 100% following the chronological order of events:

Mejis, The rebellion and the Fall of Gilead, Jericho Hill, Little Sisters, Tull and onward.

They have been a good read, but I feel like so much of the mystery of who Roland is in Tull is lost when you already understand everything he has gone through.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options

Yeah definitely, I was just positing it as a reason for the change in style, good or bad.

The criticisms I had of those books were from over a decade ago, in my teenage years. They are not weighty, intellectual, well considered positions.

Probably more like, "hey, why hasn't Roland mowed down an entire town of people recently. This shit is BORING"

• Options

Maybe. He wrote a lot of other stuff in between since he's crazy prolific.

I think he actually realized he had to finish it after that guy almost killed him when he was out walking along.

So of course
    he wrote that into the story........ and made the guy an accidental agent of the bad guys

this specific thing is like the one thing I found just absolutely teeth-grindingly fremdschamen - ish (thanks for the SAT word, Pony!)
    like really cringe-inducing and hard to read but not in a "this material is difficult" way

• Options
    cat on lap

snoring

but foot is falling asleep

wat do

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I know it was posted but I am watching the entire episode. Watch again!

http://youtu.be/tug71xZL7yc

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

The comics from marvel are an interesting take on mixing things up...

The comics are damn-near 100% following the chronological order of events:

Mejis, The rebellion and the Fall of Gilead, Jericho Hill, Little Sisters, Tull and onward.

They have been a good read, but I feel like so much of the mystery of who Roland is in Tull is lost when you already understand everything he has gone through.

I think once youve gotten through the 7 (and Wind was p excellent, imo, as it was most of the shit I loved best) it's fine to supplement that and eliminate some of the mystery, but yeah I doubt you'd be interested if you filled up on those before 7.

• Options
    everyone should read The Running Man too

it's not at all like the movie (the movie is also awesome)

i love the bachmann books

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that Deebs tunes out on games where we have to work together, and stands up and yells and plots incessantly on games where we have to fuck each other over.

I dunno if it says anything important, but it is a fun drunk/stoned observation.

I wanted to work together. I would have gotten 18 points for just making it to shore. I was betrayed early by haters and psychos!

I was way too blasted and basic to really understand the other game.

Sometimes in those games keeping a low profile is the way to go.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    beasto and I went to a nice party on Saturday night and the hostess sent me a photo of us together which is uber kyoot

So I send it to beast and he's like "Aww"

"Did we do okay"

omg we weren't being graded on being party guests

I think you do OK at any given party if you don't throw up on the birthday boy and manage to not break too many fragile objects

the bar is pretty low

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    @RiemannLives‌

You might find these handy one day when talking about early agriculture.

DW7VoL4.png

YLW9pNU.png

gKV2HhE.png

From this man's blog.

http://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    cat on lap

snoring

but foot is falling asleep

wat do

Get doge

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Should I just order the taco bell big box until I win a ps

I suddenly really want one.

Time to get a ps4

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I kind of like "The Postman". I thought the idea was interesting.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Gonna make my life like the scene from cartoons where a character spends as much as the thing costs trying to order it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i'm so closely shaaaved its the bessst

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I am so tired. I took unisom last night and then got a shitty night's sleep. I have been mainlining caffeine and it is barely helping. I bet my gym session is gonna be shit today

• Options
    everyone should read The Running Man too

it's not at all like the movie (the movie is also awesome)

i love the bachmann books

I had a hardcover of the Bachman books in high school
    I read Rage like the week before Columbine happened
    to say that this fundamentally fucked up my worldview would put it mildly

The Running Man was excellent but the one that stuck with me was definitely The Long Walk

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Such facial hair

much handsome

wow

B0ZkaipCQAE_Sbx.png

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    yesssssssss

i have date with my work crush wednesday after work.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    omg we weren't being graded on being party guests

C- "It's almost like Hakkes wasn't even aware they were being graded as party guests."

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I'm so closely shaaaved its the bessst

cool, I think

funny-gif-thumb-up-facebook-comment.gif

• Options
    OTLC once again reminding me that I must change professions or sexual preferences in order to have work crushes :(

This discussion has been closed.