Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Ugh I feel dirty, I've started letting things kill me for the purposes of getting the remaining achievements.

I only messed around with this briefly but you could probably make a good Sin City style image out of it

9FC7A9F38EADD191A0188102A5F83A49B3004290

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Ugh I feel dirty, I've started letting things kill me for the purposes of getting the remaining achievements.

Tell me about it. Every instinct in my body was screaming when I'd purposfully die to an orc to level him up or promote.

Really shows how modern games train players to view death is the ultimate failure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You don't have to die to get orcs to level up or promote them, you can just advance time at a tower. It does the same thing. The only thing dying does that advancing time doesn't is mark an orc as a revenge target.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Tell me about it. Every instinct in my body was screaming when I'd purposfully die to an orc to level him up or promote.

Really shows how modern games train players to view death is the ultimate failure.

Uh.......

I know you mean in the context of games here.

But this struck me as fairly hilarious out of context.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    You don't have to die to get orcs to level up or promote them, you can just advance time at a tower. It does the same thing. The only thing dying does that advancing time doesn't is mark an orc as a revenge target.

That requires the specific orc you want to level up to have an active mission. This can be a real pain and dying to them is just easier.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    I wish I could customize my branded orcs with gear and all the runes I'm not using. I actually went "Noooooo!" out loud when one of my boyz got himself killed by a caragor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote: »
    I wish I could customize my branded orcs with gear and all the runes I'm not using. I actually went "Noooooo!" out loud when one of my boyz got himself killed by a caragor.

I learned to be really careful when using Dispatch.

I've lost a lot of good captains that way.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    9014097EB58EAD0FCF5BBB40B4943E76FBE57B89

Would have been nice if the photo mode in Dragon's Dogma was this detailed. Probably a good thing they didn't patch this in until after I'd finished or I'd still only be halfway through.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ive been playing this with rather low graphics settings... guess I need to up and get some additional ram to max out my mobo and probably get a new video card. the one I have is serviceable, but its been... 3years? (at least since StarCraft 2) since I bought it. these execution pics are gore-geous.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah seeing these screenshots is making me ache for a new gpu and additional fans for cooling. It look so good.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure 8 year old me felt death was the ultimate failure a hell of a lot more when I'd get to that god damned machine gun guy who is the 2nd to last boss of Double Dragon and he'd kill me and I'd have to start over at the beginning of the game.

Dying in Shadow of Mordor is less meaningful than in the Souls games, where dying often is expected. =P

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

In the 8-bit era, death was the ultimate setback.

In modern games, death is a bemusing learning experience.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Just 1000'd the game.

Though it was pretty easy overall. Most of the stuff I got just from playing and only had to go out of my way for like 5 of them.

As for dying in Mordor, I mean most games don't punish you for death these days. Mordor just made dying a part of the gameplay is all.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not that dying isn't inconvenient in Mordor, it's that people earlier in the thread were dying in order to power up the AI characters.

Dying actually propels certain parts of the game forward instead of just setting you back. It's a really cool concept.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Dr. Shanksanork performs rhinoplasty on a patient:

93A49C72F23233A0E2C03D68EB5D29F0BFB97B54

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Talion has such a weird face:
    E4E029FAB066DDE8912EEB9FE90E3B2DCD255AAF
    109D79940A86F84F41C9F3B5A10FB800FAF514F9

Orcs: the blood doesn't come from where you'd think it comes from:
    0BB4DEEB9C15545545A18558511DD374E686108B

Talion pioneers an unconventional way to hold a sword:
    36C23F14E2B3C8CE502FE2F618B9303E0E72DAEB

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Dr. Shanksanork performs rhinoplasty on a patient:

93A49C72F23233A0E2C03D68EB5D29F0BFB97B54

And it come with a free trepanning too! What a deal!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That second photo is priceless.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

IMO, it's his O-face.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just got to the second area of the game. It's a nice visual change of pace, but of course I don't know any of the orc captains here. And now I can teleport around with arrows! Whee!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Someone mention weird face Talion?

4587DA3637A38C98340829AE405151A4FC51565C

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    "Show me your war face!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Dispatch, just goddammit.

My favorite branded Captain was Blorg the Cook. He wore a bloody butcher's coat and wielded a huge fucking spear with a roasted rat on the end.

I'm whittling down another Captain I'm trying to capture with some branded backup, and I Dispatch them when he turns green so I can grab him without them trying to kill him.

Blorg just happens to wander randomly into range, and I explode his head. Blorg nooo I'm so sorry

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Another thing that could have been interesting had this not been tied to LotR, is instead of just doing the "Ha, you didn't kill me" thing, have missions pop up after you kill a dude where his minions try to resurrect him. Conversely, if you accidentally popped one of your own dudes, you could have a means of bringing them back.

• Options
    Talion-face is why all my screenshots earlier in the thread used the dark ranger skin and were purposely framed to obfuscate his goofy mug.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

IMO, it's his O-face.

Looks like a late 90s Rap-Metal Band cover.

765l5kA.jpg

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Smile for the camera.

10645174_10154700006185463_6348923795702416247_n_zpsaa08b5d8.jpg

• Options
    How do I post Steamshots again?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    add ?.jpg to the end of the URL

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Man tell me about it I remember when using up my continues on the last boss in Ninja Gaiden resulted in me having to start the game over from the beginning that was the best

...wait

• Options
    Frei wrote: »
    add ?.jpg to the end of the URL

Thanks.

?

?

?
    This last one is the most metal screenie I've ever taken.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was going to wait for my new vid card before I got the rest of the achievements.. but I'm weak. :(

I almost got a triple achievement, but got denied at the last minute. (I had a Warchief with 5 branded bodyguards who was going to drop a level 25 rune, and killing him would fulfill the death threat achievement too (since I had to death threat him to get him to drop a 25 rune)

Buuuut, one of the bodyguards managed to get the killing blow, so it didn't count for the death threat one. Ah well :D

• Options
    edited October 2014
    ?
    Tallion in a tight spot.

?
    This guy! He's my favorite orc. Useless and drunk as a skunk. He slurred "Wot..? You wanna FIGHT?!" and I swore I would help him rise to the top. Then the idiot got himself killed by a Caragor and I was so disappointed. At least he didn't lose his head, so I hope he comes back.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    This guy! He's my favorite orc. Useless and drunk as a skunk. He slurred "Wot..? You wanna fight?!" and I swore I would help this guy rise to the top. Then the idiot got himself killed by a Caragor and I was so disappointed. At least he didn't lose his head, so I hope he comes back.
    I like his motive.
    "Wait, are we the bad guys?"

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    ?.jpg

• Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    One of my orcs has found an invisibility cloak.c6geh8hog9mg.jpg

Also Talion has a cloak that even batman would be proud of. The cloth physics can look amazing when they're spinning around.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    ?
    What was that, Gronk? I couldn't quite hear you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ?
    What was that, Gronk? I couldn't quite hear you.

Damnit, Gronk can never get healthy for long.

There's just no way that Sauron/Belichick can win it all with this team without a health Gronk.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I wish there was an easier way to find defeated captains. Unless I'm missing something. I have one single captain that I've defeated twice and he keeps surviving and I can't find him anywhere.

I know he's shambling around somewhere because nobody gets promoted there. I've combed every fort and stronghold twice.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I wish there was an easier way to find defeated captains. Unless I'm missing something. I have one single captain that I've defeated twice and he keeps surviving and I can't find him anywhere.

I know he's shambling around somewhere because nobody gets promoted there. I've combed every fort and stronghold twice.

I think this game has a "Worst Possible Time" algorithm, where previously-defeated enemies always show up when you're half-dead and already surrounded by orc captains.

So go after a warchief and see what happens.