As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Time to eat, Guardians! Free Gjallarhorn in every Kids Meal!

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Is there anything as depressing as a hunter's grenade?

I posit that no, there is not.

Personally I dearly love the trip mine in pve. It still makes me giggle when I tag hive knights with it, as the summoned shield trips it. Also a front stick on phalanx shield will generally murder it and everyone in front of them as well. Only class that makes me look forward to those guys.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Darkyth wrote: »
    Team Apology Accepted has downed hard mode Templar!

Hrrrm, how did you guys approach it? Just brute force it the normal way until he goes down, or did you guys use the starting platform?

Starting platform, with @GMaster7‌ in the back of the arena killing oracles with the relic while the rest of the squad stayed up top and sniped oracles/the boss from the back.

The toughest part of Hard so far has definitely been the conflux spawnings before Templar. Once we got those down things started to progress pretty quickly.

I'd assume you used a similar strat for the oracles part before the proper Templar fight (3 on the platform, 3 on the ground like in the video?)

We had a problem when we tried the Templar strat once where @Sousuke‌ couldn't hit the oracle with the relic because the tracking automatically veered towards enemies. Is there any trick/technique to avoiding that?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Celian wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I didn't pay any attention to the game pre-release until the beta and I can't say I was ever "hyped" for the game.

The Bungie name on the box ensured I would have a fun time (and I did), but playing the final product it was disappointing to see the game fall short in so many obvious ways, particularly given Bungie's pedigree.

It is a great game. Expectations were badly managed by Bungie. Right now my biggest gripes would be fixed with more gear options / more gear flexibility and better ways to get upgrade materials, specifically the ones you have to farm on patrol. Like, I got new boots in the raid. Awesome.... now go on Venus for an hour and a half to get the needed mats. Getting new gear should be fun :(
    From the Venus LZ, head left to the Ember Caves. When you enter the area, turn ninety degrees to your right and make a loop, keeping the wall on your right – there are loads caves you can check for chests, including three up in the Fallen outpost area. When you clear the raised platform where the Captain hangs out, be sure to turn and look at the cliff face – chests sometimes spawn up there. Then drop down to kill the Dregs and Vandal, duck into the cave that’s there, and then start again. Spirit Bloom and chests also spawn amongst the rocks in the middle of the area.

Chests seem to spawn quite often in the caves; I bet you could get all the Spirit Bloom your boots will need in under an hour. There’s also a couple of mission beacons, and Extraction Crews occasionally show up.

It’s not super-exciting, but it is certainly the most efficient way to get Bloom that I’ve discovered so far, and the faster you get that over with, the sooner you can enjoy your new kit.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Darkyth wrote: »
    Team Apology Accepted has downed hard mode Templar!

Hrrrm, how did you guys approach it? Just brute force it the normal way until he goes down, or did you guys use the starting platform?

Starting platform, with @GMaster7‌ in the back of the arena killing oracles with the relic while the rest of the squad stayed up top and sniped oracles/the boss from the back.

The toughest part of Hard so far has definitely been the conflux spawnings before Templar. Once we got those down things started to progress pretty quickly.

We goofed around with the strat very quickly. The relic guy didn't seem to be able to damage the oracles. Is there a trick to it?

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    juicebox989juicebox989 Quad CitiesRegistered User regular
    I need to get around to hard mode raiding

• Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    Team Motorboat Kitten:
    (@jefe414 @erevar @morgan_coke @arteen @skippymchaggis @arteen's sister)

We interested in trying tonight at 8PM EST?

• Options
    Personally speaking, I didn't pay any attention to the game pre-release until the beta and I can't say I was ever "hyped" for the game.

The Bungie name on the box ensured I would have a fun time (and I did), but playing the final product it was disappointing to see the game fall short in so many obvious ways, particularly given Bungie's pedigree.

It is a great game. Expectations were badly managed by Bungie. Right now my biggest gripes would be fixed with more gear options / more gear flexibility and better ways to get upgrade materials, specifically the ones you have to farm on patrol. Like, I got new boots in the raid. Awesome.... now go on Venus for an hour and a half to get the needed mats. Getting new gear should be fun :(
    From the Venus LZ, head left to the Ember Caves. When you enter the area, turn ninety degrees to your right and make a loop, keeping the wall on your right – there are loads caves you can check for chests, including three up in the Fallen outpost area. When you clear the raised platform where the Captain hangs out, be sure to turn and look at the cliff face – chests sometimes spawn up there. Then drop down to kill the Dregs and Vandal, duck into the cave that’s there, and then start again. Spirit Bloom and chests also spawn amongst the rocks in the middle of the area.

Chests seem to spawn quite often in the caves; I bet you could get all the Spirit Bloom your boots will need in under an hour. There’s also a couple of mission beacons, and Extraction Crews occasionally show up.

It’s not super-exciting, but it is certainly the most efficient way to get Bloom that I’ve discovered so far, and the faster you get that over with, the sooner you can enjoy your new kit.

Yeah I managed to get about 32 of them for my scout rifle doing the loop around the beginning area of Venus in around 30 minutes. I can't stand doing it longer than that for some reason. Which is odd to me, considering I've been known to herb for HOURS in WoW just to kill time.

I'll definitely try your route though. It might be more fun!

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good place to farm the Pocket Infinity kills off this week's nightfall?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Team Motorboat Kitten:

I'm good from 8pm until 11pm EST tonight.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I don't think it's a great game. It feels more like a great demo that you play over and over while waiting for the "real" game to come out.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Team Alt-Stars, we good for tonight as per usual? 8 central, 6 West and 9 East?

@darkyth @stragint @Squall99x @JusticeforPluto @Igpx407

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Anyone know a good place to farm the Pocket Infinity kills off this week's nightfall?

If can get to the first phase of the door opening sequence it's pretty good I imagine. Lots of low hp enemies and pretty quick to get to.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've raided with every character I have, so sub me out if possible.

• Options

I don't think it's a great game. It feels more like a great demo that you play over and over while waiting for the "real" game to come out.

Most people have over a hundred hours of gametime in. You're just silly.
    Crayon wrote: »

If can get to the first phase of the door opening sequence it's pretty good I imagine. Lots of low hp enemies and pretty quick to get to.

I'm looking for a 28 zone outside the darkness. There's only about 20 kills before the wizards start showing up and ruin everything at the gate event, and then you're bounced back to orbit.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Farming upgrade materials on the moon is very monotonous.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Team Alt-Stars, we good for tonight as per usual? 8 central, 6 West and 9 East?

@darkyth @stragint @Squall99x @JusticeforPluto @Igpx407

2 greenwich, 7 mountain, 10 atlantic.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I'm looking for a 28 zone outside the darkness. There's only about 20 kills before the wizards start showing up and ruin everything at the gate event, and then you're bounced back to orbit.

Temple of Crota? There are dudes down in there and I think it triggers a darkness zone. Nothing else on the Moon is really coming to mind.

Edit: Oh, and the advantage of "other" darkness zones in the Nightfall is that the enemies aren't fucking epic either.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Farming upgrade materials is very monotonous.
    FTFY

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Farming upgrade materials is very relaxing.

FTFY x2

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    You just have to get into the zen of a good farming run. Collecting your spin metal or spirit bloom and just doing without thinking about it can really be quite relaxing.

Except Relic Iron.

Fuck Mars.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Yeah, I wasn't interested in it until I played the Beta. It's okay... with the exception of the functional faults that I (and many others) have already mentioned. Even the option to choose between MM or non MM weekly strikes, etc would have been nice, for one... but it is what it is.

Seriously ragging on the story or w/e is w/e imo.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2014

So should we just permanently replace you? Seems weird to be part of a group but raid before our set time and then mention it on day of raid.

Crayon on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You just have to get into the zen of a good farming run. Collecting your spin metal or spirit bloom and just doing without thinking about it can really be quite relaxing.

Except Relic Iron.

Fuck Mars.

Actually, the first time I felt that "zen" you're speaking of here was on Mars, doing an Relic Iron run at the Cabal "loop". Did that for over an hour (with two public events) and got up to 150 or so Iron.

Need to go back and do that again soon, I think.

EDIT: That's the second post of mine that Geth has interacted with in the past day. Something you want to tell me, Geth?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Crude Quip: I have thousands of hours logged on the shitter. That doesn't mean it's a rich and compelling experience.

Alternate Quip: At least 40 out of every 100 hours is spent on loading screens.

Serious Reply: The mechanics of controlling your character are phenomenally well executed; a master course in game design. However, there is very little game to support these mechanics: a weak, short, and disjointed story campaign, and handful of strikes that use even fewer gameplay mechanics, and one raid that I can't comment on as I've still never done it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This is further exacerbated by the fact that the primary motivation to continue playing that Bungie put into the game is loot, but there is a pathetically small pool of potential items, made artificially smaller by the Light mechanic superseding all other stats and aesthetics, and blocked behind a terriblely unforgiving RNG.

This is not the epic open-world, story-rich shooter with deep character customization we were sold in all those trailers and ViDocs.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Except Relic Iron.

Fuck Mars.

I just want mats from jobs on patrol. Kinda bummed that was a thing that you could unlock and then it was taken out or w/e.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

I'm well past 100 hours myself and I wouldn't be surprised if some folks put that much time into just that alpha and beta. I just wish there was more to do in the game beyond the same handful of strikes, the same handful of crucible modes, and the same dull patrol missions.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »
    Team Motorboat Kitten:

This time table works for me as well. I can run my level 28 titan or my almost level 28 warlock.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

Crude Quip: I have thousands of hours logged on the shitter. That doesn't mean it's a rich and compelling experience.

Serious Reply: The mechanics of controlling your character are phenomenally well executed; a master course in game design. However, there is very little game to support these mechanics: a weak, short, and disjointed story campaign, and handful of strikes that use even fewer gameplay mechanics, and one raid that I can't comment on as I've still never done it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This is further exacerbated by the fact that the primary motivation to continue playing that Bungie put into the game is loot, but there is a pathetically small pool of potential items, made artificially smaller by the Light mechanic superseding all other stats and aesthetics, and blocked behind a terriblely unforgiving RNG.

This is not the epic open-world, story-rich shooter with deep character customization we were sold in all those trailers and ViDocs.

I'm fairly sure everyone's game time is actually longer than what is showed on the website. The time showed on the website is ACTIVITY time. Therefore it's time spent on patrol, crucible, etc etc. So time spent in the Tower or Orbit is not counted. At least that's what I think.

• Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Team Motorboat Kitten:

This time table works for me as well. I can run my level 28 titan or my almost level 28 warlock.
    I'm good. My sister should be good too since we were planning on some Xbox tonight anyway.

Has the Aetheon patch gone live? I guess it's time to learn the relic!

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

So should we just permanently replace you? Seems weird to be part of a group but raid before our set time and then mention it on day of raid.

I've just been jumping at whatever raids I can. I never thought of the alt stars as a promise to raid together, it was just a motley crew raiding with alts when needed.

I'll come tonight. Its no big deal for me anyways.

• Options

I can probably blame my personal life for this feeling, but the "terribly unforgiving RNG" has been especially depressing lately. I was talking with a friend about it last night, and I think it's a similar story in every end-game where you're hunting for specific (and relatively rare) loot. I still enjoy playing, but the carrot is getting smaller. I also wonder if, when I've gotten all the loot for which I was hunting, will the game be more or less fun?

As a side note, why have you not tried the raid yet? It's easily the most fun and engaging part of the game (personal opinion, of course). Assuming that you're lv26+, I'm certain the people in this forum can make sure you get into a raid if you want.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'd assume you used a similar strat for the oracles part before the proper Templar fight (3 on the platform, 3 on the ground like in the video?)

We had a problem when we tried the Templar strat once where @Sousuke‌ couldn't hit the oracle with the relic because the tracking automatically veered towards enemies. Is there any trick/technique to avoiding that?
    We goofed around with the strat very quickly. The relic guy didn't seem to be able to damage the oracles. Is there a trick to it?

Yeah, we had three stay up top sniping, like in the video, and sent a team of three Titans (two 30s, one 29) to the right side, over by the little cave-spawn entrance. We were all Defenders, and we would always have a bubble up from one of us (with the temp overshield talent), so we could run into it if things got hairy. We'd call out whenever a Hobgoblin sniper spawned and whenever we had an oracle that only we could reach (when the sound of the oracle was high-pitched, we'd generally know immediately), and the boss attacked us sometimes, but there's a big rock in front of the cave spawn that blocked us pretty effectively from the boss. We'd put our bubble on the other side of that and basically go for (a) mobs coming up the stairs, (b) mobs coming up the other stairs, (c) mobs coming out of the cave, and (d) hobgoblins on our side, of which we were responsible for I think two spawns.

Re: relic, it can indeed be hard to hit the Oracles as relic holder (Darkyth tried and was flailing wildly for about ten swings), but if you jump and R2 ground-pound, you'll kill it in one hit every single time. As the sole team rep on the ground during the boss, I learned quickly that it was best to stay mostly between the two hidden oracles that only I could see (the two that are farthest away from my teammates on the spawn ledge) and to really aggressively fight enemies once they were heading towards me, because you have a few seconds to take them out before they open their tentacle faces and unleash a barrage directed solely at the relic holder. Good not to stray to other oracles, even close-ish ones, and not to seek out mobs unless they were nearby, so as not to get overwhelmed. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2, this pack coming towards me is dead, now I prowl around; if there's an oracle, I jump and R2 or jump over to the other side and R2, and I would prioritize mobs near me if they were onto me before supering the boss, but would be supering the boss pretty often because the oracles give a bunch of super energy. Team would call out where the Templar was every time he teleported so I always knew where to be when my super was charged, and we'd call out all oracles as they spawned so as not to miss any.

I meant to record the video after the fact to post here, but I forgot. The video that that guy posted is pretty close to what we did, and I think it's a really solid strategy. Doesn't require everyone to be running around and really intelligently assigns responsibilities evenly so as to spread it all out. I was terrified to be by myself on the ground level, but as long as I rushed nearby mobs, used the tunnel for cover, and groundpounded oracles, it was fine. I think we got it after just a few tries of the all-by-myself strat.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options

Except Relic Iron.

Fuck Mars.

What? The relic iron run is just the most simple farm run in the world.

The only thing I don't like about it is that someone else will always be jumping in my run.

• Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Farming upgrade materials on the moon is very monotonous.

Dont you mean moonotonous?

Sorry had to do that.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

I can probably blame my personal life for this feeling, but the "terribly unforgiving RNG" has been especially depressing lately. I was talking with a friend about it last night, and I think it's a similar story in every end-game where you're hunting for specific (and relatively rare) loot. I still enjoy playing, but the carrot is getting smaller. I also wonder if, when I've gotten all the loot for which I was hunting, will the game be more or less fun?

As a side note, why have you not tried the raid yet? It's easily the most fun and engaging part of the game (personal opinion, of course). Assuming that you're lv26+, I'm certain the people in this forum can make sure you get into a raid if you want.

Part of it is never being able to commit to dedicated gaming time; I usually only know 5 minutes before I log on if I have time to play at all, let alone for a raid.

Though increasingly, I'll admit it's so I can be that hipster that doesn't raid.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

So you can find Level 28 enemies outside of the Nightfall darkness zone that count towards Pocket Inifinity kills? How does that work exactly? I thought only enemies in a darkness zone had the level of the mission/event/strike you were doing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Though increasingly, I'll admit it's so I can be that hipster that doesn't raid.

That's like being a foodie who doesn't like pizza. It's like, you have to draw the line somewhere. Pizza is the best type of food. You can't not eat pizza. Just because you haven't been able to eat pizza yet, that doesn't mean that you should go on avoiding it. In Destiny, the... the pizza...? I kinda forget what we were talking about.

Oh! Right. We will definitely take you into the Vault for some delicious pizza.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Yeah, we had three stay up top sniping, like in the video, and sent a team of three Titans (two 30s, one 29) to the right side, over by the little cave-spawn entrance. We were all Defenders, and we would always have a bubble up from one of us (with the temp overshield talent), so we could run into it if things got hairy. We'd call out whenever a Hobgoblin sniper spawned and whenever we had an oracle that only we could reach (when the sound of the oracle was high-pitched, we'd generally know immediately), and the boss attacked us sometimes, but there's a big rock in front of the cave spawn that blocked us pretty effectively from the boss. We'd put our bubble on the other side of that and basically go for (a) mobs coming up the stairs, (b) mobs coming up the other stairs, (c) mobs coming out of the cave, and (d) hobgoblins on our side, of which we were responsible for I think two spawns.

Re: relic, it can indeed be hard to hit the Oracles as relic holder (Darkyth tried and was flailing wildly for about ten swings), but if you jump and R2 ground-pound, you'll kill it in one hit every single time. As the sole team rep on the ground during the boss, I learned quickly that it was best to stay mostly between the two hidden oracles that only I could see (the two that are farthest away from my teammates on the spawn ledge) and to really aggressively fight enemies once they were heading towards me, because you have a few seconds to take them out before they open their tentacle faces and unleash a barrage directed solely at the relic holder. Good not to stray to other oracles, even close-ish ones, and not to seek out mobs unless they were nearby, so as not to get overwhelmed. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2, this pack coming towards me is dead, now I prowl around; if there's an oracle, I jump and R2 or jump over to the other side and R2, and I would prioritize mobs near me if they were onto me before supering the boss, but would be supering the boss pretty often because the oracles give a bunch of super energy. Team would call out where the Templar was every time he teleported so I always knew where to be when my super was charged, and we'd call out all oracles as they spawned so as not to miss any.

I meant to record the video after the fact to post here, but I forgot. The video that that guy posted is pretty close to what we did, and I think it's a really solid strategy. Doesn't require everyone to be running around and really intelligently assigns responsibilities evenly so as to spread it all out. I was terrified to be by myself on the ground level, but as long as I rushed nearby mobs, used the tunnel for cover, and groundpounded oracles, it was fine. I think we got it after just a few tries of the all-by-myself strat.

Thanks for this, hopefully we'll down it this weekend as well.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

That's like being a foodie who doesn't like pizza. It's like, you have to draw the line somewhere. Pizza is the best type of food. You can't not eat pizza. Just because you haven't been able to eat pizza yet, that doesn't mean that you should go on avoiding it. In Destiny, the... the pizza...? I kinda forget what we were talking about.

Oh! Right. We will definitely take you into the Vault for some delicious pizza.

Atheon has been trying to tell us this for a while...

GUARDIANS MAKE THEIR OWN PIZZA

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Team Motorboat Kitten:

Yeah, I'm cool, my 29 Titan wants to punch things and get a second piece of raid gear.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything