Options

[Superheroes] Marvel Announces Too Much Stuff to Put Into a Cheeky Thread Title!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Every time you guys talk about Thor extensively I write a mean post about Thor and then don't post it

It's very cathartic

i do this with mgs

except sometimes I post it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Every time you guys talk about Thor extensively I write a mean post about Thor and then don't post it

It's very cathartic

I just want to buy the first 6 issues of God of Thunder and send them to you

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man what is up with the new artist on Elektra

I am pretty sure Del Mundo is back with the next issue

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Wait, I frucked that up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    DC should do that "every movie is its own crazy story with no continuity" thing

it would differentiate them from marvel and make them look less like shallow imitators

however they will not

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So in the future we'll see the Heirloom and the Token?

we already got a T, need an N

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    the Nexus

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Oh my god, Scottie Young is a madman

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24337

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So Bleeding Cool is claiming that the first Wonder Woman solo movie will be set in the 1920s, Themyscira's first contact with the outside world
    The sequel would be set during World War II, and then there's either a modern day 3rd movie or it'll just be Justice League by then

So the story goes

Awesome.

I want this so badly.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    You know, if DC wants me to be interested in their movies, outside of just punting Goyer out of the company, doing crazy shit like "our first wonder woman movie is set in the 1920s because fuck it, why not" then yeah, sure, I'm listening. I like a lot of the MCU stuff, but as audacious as it is to build to a huge Infinity War two parter, there are clear signs that it's put limitations on how crazy the individual movies leading up to it can be.

Like, I wish there was still room for an Edgar Wright Ant-Man movie in the MCU, or something like that. They've got this big build to make to Thanos showing up and wrecking everything, and I wish they'd sneak in a lower stakes movie kind of along the lines of Fraction's Hawkeye run. There's a clear throughline there, of Hawkeye bonding with his neighbors while he fights these Tracksuit Dracula guys, which gives the movie a backbone, but there's also no giant Infinity Stone macguffin or anything where Hydra is trying to kill a couple million people and all of SHIELD implodes as a result. Like, I really, really liked Cap 2 and Guardians, but it'd be cool to see them do a lighter superhero movie.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope Ant-Man is good and it does well enough for them to not just follow up Phase Three with another gigantic build to something like Kang, where every movie is about establishing time shenanigans or something

Ant-Man, Civil War and Black Panther are unlikely to be directly tied into the IW arc, which leaves Dr. Strange, Guardians 2 and Ragnarok which are almost guaranteed to. So half the movies between Ultron and IW part 1 are gonna be about that arc. Civil War and Ragnarok are the ones most likely to throw really dark of those six, meaning we should get a sort of varied spread. The only thing is that the three "arc" movies as speculated come out in a single block sandwiched between Civil War and Black Panther, so for a year and a half or so it'll be all infinity stones all the time. Well, that and the TV series. I expect Agents of SHIELD is gonna spend a good long while dealing with Civil War's aftermath.

Also apparently Ant-Man is officially considered part of Phase Two now, which means the darkest phase yet is gonna end on probably a sort of light-hearted movie that has relatively little to do with the overall arc. I'm glad it's there if only to lighten up the massive fucking beast that is gonna be the Phase 3 collector's edition Blu-ray box set.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool is claiming that the first Wonder Woman solo movie will be set in the 1920s, Themyscira's first contact with the outside world
    The sequel would be set during World War II, and then there's either a modern day 3rd movie or it'll just be Justice League by then

So the story goes

Awesome.

I want this so badly.

I mean the problem is they think there will be a second movie let alone a third.

They're just throwing shit onto a wall and trying to imitate Marvel but not grasping what makes it work.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

It's very cathartic

I just want to buy the first 6 issues of God of Thunder and send them to you

You don't see me stopping you

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The first two God of Thunder trades are perfect Thor stories

just so, so good

• Options
    Yeah, the biggest reason why DC's list of stuff is kinda suspect is that they're throwing shit against the wall and seeing if it sticks. if Wonder Woman does super DUPER well, they're not going to wait 4 years to fart out a sequel; they're going to strike while the iron's hot, and if that means Cyborg or Green Lantern get pushed back or removed from the schedule, then so be it. Likewise, if Batman v Superman does Man of Steel numbers again, and Suicide Squad tanks, I can see them completely scrapping their plans for a rethink.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Zonugal wrote: »

So the story goes

Awesome.

I want this so badly.

I mean the problem is they think there will be a second movie let alone a third.

They're just throwing shit onto a wall and trying to imitate Marvel but not grasping what makes it work.

I don't care.

If we only get the first film, a Wonder Woman film set in the 1920s, I will be so fucking happy.

Just give me that!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    honestly I hope warner bros. isn't even building to anything. I hope they don't have an intricate plan for how all their movies build off each other. at this point I kind of think it's refreshing that their big plan for all their movies is "throw them all in the superman sequel and then I guess they all get their own movie, fuck it" "yeah but like aren't some of these guys on tv?" "yeah, probably. fuck it, though, who cares"
    Given that they announced Justice League I think there's no chance of this

Like, they clearly want to mimic the Marvel style a fair amount and establish their universe as just as big an important

They've announced justice league, yeah, but I think maybe what they're doing is going to eventually end up very different from Marvel's method. Marvel took a very slow, measured approach to everything, like, they didn't announce Cap or Thor until after they were sure Iron Man was a hit. And then it took them a bit longer to confirm that they were actually going to make an Avengers movie, and they had a careful build to that. DC started with Man of Steel and then just jumped right into putting all of its pieces on the board right at the start.

Marvel's been all about the build to the next big thing, ever since the closing of the first Iron Man. DC and WB seem to be starting with the big event and then splitting off from there. I think it actually might allow a little more room for experimentation and deviation from the formula than Marvel's method has.

Anyways, I have a lot of thoughts about this stuff (and I think Marvel is more likely to make actually good movies than DC is, but I think DC's movies might end up more interesting) but I'm gonna play some video games for a while

Marvel kind of had to take the first steps there. Until Avengers became a huge smash fucking hit, there was a ton of skepticism about whether something like that could even be done. That's when the floodgates opened. Now it's all about retracing their steps and everyone is using Marvel as the precedent, and all investors want to be part of the next Marvel boom, so it's way easier to have projects like these made.

When you think about it, go back to 2008, the big thing everyone was psyched about was Dark Knight, but nobody expected Iron Man (a near-unknown to the mainstream public) and Incredible Hulk (a reboot of a legendary bomb that came only 5 years prior) would be the foundations to the biggest thing in comicbook movies in history. Hell, they were made by two separate studios. It's a near-miracle that they got to cross over with each other at all. They probably wouldn't have gotten away with it if people had taken them seriously at all back then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Suicide squad really can't work. Nobody knows who these villians are. I mean Harley will ge the tumblr crowd but most people won't know who she is let alone Deadshot and whoever else.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Deathstroke will probably be a part of that team.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    After Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't know why you would even try to use the "recognition" argument.

• Options
    Suicide squad really can't work. Nobody knows who these villians are. I mean Harley will ge the tumblr crowd but most people won't know who she is let alone Deadshot and whoever else.

"Nobody knows who they are" is what people are saying about the new Marvel property movies again and again and again and again.

I'm not saying it'll be a smash hit because there's something more about the Marvel movies (they're super great, brand loyalty, actual demonstrated efforts to reward paying attention to continuity, etc.) but like that's literally what people said about Guardians.

sig.gif
  • Options

Eh, no reason they can't just introduce these guys in the film. GotG did it.

And yes I realize that implies a level of competence in WB that they have yet to demonstrate.

• Options
    Harley Quinn is a more famous character than literally every Marvel character whose name hasn't been the title of a movie. Certainly way more popular than anyone in Guardians.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Suicide Squad is even a pretty similar pitch to Guardians, when you get down to it

• Options
    The recognition argument is silly anyway, regardless of Guardians of the Galaxy

Nobody needs to recognise a movie character as the comic book character they are outside the movie

You know what a superhero movie is to someone who doesn't know about that superhero at all prior to watching it?

exactly the same as a regular fucking movie with original characters

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I always thought the concept that you need to introduce characters before their film to be a bit weird.

It's kind of a concept that only exists within the concept of comic book movies.

Like, virtually every movie ever introduces and establishes it's cast as a part of its own internal narrative and they seem to do okay.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The recognition argument is silly anyway, regardless of Guardians of the Galaxy

Nobody needs to recognise a movie character as the comic book character they are outside the movie

You know what a superhero movie is to someone who doesn't know about that superhero at all prior to watching it?

exactly the same as a regular fucking movie with original characters

*insert joke about Hollywood's creativity (or lack thereof) here*

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no way any of the core four are missing out on the Infinity War, especially if it's two films.

My bet is on him dying in ragnorok and then a stunning rebirth at some point in avengers 3 .

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the one thing Marvel has done that guarantees success for all their movies at least through Phase Three is just to turn the Marvel name itself into a seal of quality. They stick that logo on top of their titles and people go see the movie. They've basically turned into the Apple of movies, in the sense that people will always go see the new one just because there's a new Marvel movie out and we go see new Marvel movies.

Slapping a bigger DC logo on DC movies wouldn't be enough to duplicate their success (probably nothing they could possibly do would be), in fact you can't just shortcut your way to it, you need a stable of proven, critically acclaimed films to do that. They got their work cut out for you, and so far we have one data point and it's a terrible one. But it sold a fuckload of tickets so WB is probably thinking let's keep doing what works and we should be able to coast. I doubt they'll crash and burn, at least not right away (people are definitely gonna go see a movie titled Batman v Superman and a movie titled Justice League), but I don't think there's any way they'll come close to Marvel's success, either.

At this point it's 1990 and Marvel is Nintendo, DC is Sega, to pull another analogy. DC has everything to prove. They might do it. Sega did. And all the odds were against them back then too. Who knows, I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I mean barely anyone had read All You Need Is Kill and that didn't stop Edge of Tomorrow doing well

Incidentally this is your daily reminder that Edge of Tomorrow was amazingly good

• Options
    If you want to see a film series that introduces characters throughout its films in a really great way, well....

The Fast & Furious film series might be for you.

• Options
    Yeah, there's no way any of the core four are missing out on the Infinity War, especially if it's two films.

My bet is on him dying in ragnorok and then a stunning rebirth at some point in avengers 3 .

Uh

(Civil War highly probable spoilers)
    Cap is gonna die. It's pretty much certain. It probably won't be permanent, but I doubt they'd kill off two original Avengers in the same phase, rebirth or no.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Uh

Cap is gonna die. It's pretty much certain. It probably won't be permanent, but I doubt they'd kill off two original Avengers in the same phase, rebirth or no.

Why? Because they did it in he comics? Like try said I don't see them kicking any of the big three out before IW. Thor can die because he can magically come back.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah I can see people retiring or leaving the team but I'd be surprised if anyone dies before Infinity War

• Options
    I know Chris wants out but he's always been listed A3 as his last movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Uh

Why? Because they did it in he comics? Like try said I don't see them kicking any of the big three out before IW. Thor can die because he can magically come back.

If they don't do it, they will seriously tease it. They're already doing it with that shot of the shield in the Ultron trailer, hell. It'll almost be more of a spoiler if they don't do it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think anyone's gonna die before the third Avengers movie is finished

I mean, let's be real here, they've got those guys for a few more movies and they're such huge stars now that they aren't going to waste them until they're all the way done

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I know Chris wants out but he's always been listed A3 as his last movie.

which raises the question of A3 or A4, as it's a 2-parter.

It would be completely fucking awesome if Captain America died in Infinity War part 1, and Captain Marvel stepped up in part 2 after being introduced in her own movie in between.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Also anyone can magically come back. It's comics. And it just so happens that Civil War is the first phase 3 movie, which means that they have an entire 5 movies to let it sit where Cap wouldn't appear anyway. Maybe they bring him back halfway through IW part 1.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well my guess is they set up Bucky for that exact purpose; someone who not only matches Steve's strength but also knows him and his values better than anyone else.

Plus the actor has a 9-picture deal or something equally extensive as well.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options

Uh

If they don't do it, they will seriously tease it. They're already doing it with that shot of the shield in the Ultron trailer, hell. It'll almost be more of a spoiler if they don't do it.

I don't see why you think they would tease it, nor did I really think the broken shield was a tease about him dying. I think he has a snowballs chance in infinity war though.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.