Options

STEAM, a backlog story.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Faction quests basically run you through the raw mechanics of the faction right? I'd say its always good to do it on your first play through with an empire.

I've only done it for the drakken, but it definitely did basically one of everything (level 2 district, capture a city, make peace, etc.) which helped me figure out a bunch of stuff I probably wouldn't have found on my own. At the very least it gives you some structure and most of the objectives you'd probably do in a normal game anyway

Plus it's a fun little story

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I still don't understand when you can build burroughs to expand your city, it was greyed out for ages last time I played and I couldn't work out why. Anyone got some knowledge to drop on my dumb brain?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you get one borough per 2 pop, unless you are the necrophages

• Options
    Oh, it's that simple.

Now I feel dumb.

Not quite as dumb as I felt when I placed my city right on a region border...but pretty dumb.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Faction quests basically run you through the raw mechanics of the faction right? I'd say its always good to do it on your first play through with an empire.

I've only done it for the drakken, but it definitely did basically one of everything (level 2 district, capture a city, make peace, etc.) which helped me figure out a bunch of stuff I probably wouldn't have found on my own. At the very least it gives you some structure and most of the objectives you'd probably do in a normal game anyway

Plus it's a fun little story

I wanted to do it in my first two games but as the vaulters it wants you to destroy a city belonging to one of the AI factions and it both games it was on the total opposite side of the map from me, in the largest faction.

• Options
    most quests have that, I find it's pretty annoying. wild walkers might be the only ones that don't have it. even the roving clans which can not declare war have to destroy a city, I think you are supposed to use privateers.

• Options
    Yeah the drakken had that too which was really weird but I got lucky and it had me take a border town of an enemy I wanted to wipe out anyway

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Played a quick Evolve match - I like what I saw, but unless I can reliably get a group together (which is extremely unlikely), I proooobably won't have a lot of fun with it? We'll see. so far it's not a day one buy for me (but I knew that before I played it)

I think that's the idea behind the monster, if you can't get a group together, play as the monster? I don't know how fun that'd be long-term though

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited November 2014
    How does being the monster work? Do you choose which one you evolve into or do you have to pick a "class" at the start of the map? And then you level up and assign perks and shit I guess

The evolve wiki says only 2 monsters are in the build people are playing right now but they plan to have 4 at release and one for dlc? I don't like the idea of a dlc monster very much but I really want to see what other monsters they have in mind

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    How does being the monster work? Do you choose which one you evolve into or do you have to pick a "class" at the start of the map?

The evolve wiki says only 2 monsters are in the build people are playing right now but they plan to have 4 at release and one for dlc? I don't like the idea of a dlc monster very much but I really want to see what other monsters they have in mind

You pick one monster, it evolves on a set path

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    How does being the monster work? Do you choose which one you evolve into or do you have to pick a "class" at the start of the map?

That is significantly less exciting

Do the hunters know ahead of time which one you picked?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Probably

You are less evolving in this game and more just getting bigger

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    God dammit

Why isn't Rebirth unlocked yet?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Probably

You are less evolving in this game and more just getting bigger

Hmm this is not quite what I had in mind

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The hunters know ahead of time which monster you picked. Evolving just gives you more HP and lets you skill up more skills.

I guess the hunters do not know what skills you leveled up in advance but as far as the alpha there is really only a couple of valid choices anyway.

Remember Evolve is trying to be all e-sports, not quirky and fun.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The hunters know ahead of time which monster you picked. Evolving just gives you more HP and lets you skill up more skills.

I guess the hunters do not know what skills you leveled up in advance but as far as the alpha there is really only a couple of valid choices anyway.

If it's trying to be e-sports, you'd think there'd be less info given out to the opposing side.

Even Starcraft matches start out with more uncertainty.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Stilts wrote: »

If it's trying to be e-sports, you'd think there'd be less info given out to the opposing side.

Even Starcraft matches start out with more uncertainty.

On the other hand in League or Dota you know exactly who the opposing champions are, what summoner spells they picked (in the case of league) and can even respond to what champions they have picked via the whole pick/ban phase.

And in Starcraft you know what race they picked. Build orders would be very interesting if you did not. And lots of early game rushes I imagine.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

I see, I see

Conceptually I'm not really liking what I'm hearing here vis a vis how the monster works

Maybe I just don't know enough about the other parts of the game and the monster stuff seems more fun (or at least less really limiting) when all the rest is taken into account

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I see, I see

Conceptually I'm not really liking what I'm hearing here vis a vis how the monster works

Maybe I just don't know enough about the other parts of the game and the monster stuff seems more fun (or at least less really limiting) when all the rest is taken into account

I played maybe 6 games last night, the only fun I had was as the monster

Problem is; you can't be the monster in a party, so if you are looking for a multi game to play with your friends you cannot be the monster

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    How would evolve even be esports? Best human team vs best monster or what?

Making a game with the idea of it being esports instead of it being esports because people like it and it has depth is a dumb idea to me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Sounds like your concept of what esports can be needs to....evolve

• Options
    Zay wrote: »

Making a game with the idea of it being esports instead of it being esports because people like it and it has depth is a dumb idea to me

I agree, and yet so many companies are making games these days with the precise goal of being the next big thing in e-sports. They want a piece of that dolla dolla.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Zay wrote: »

I agree, and yet so many companies are making games these days with the precise goal of being the next big thing in e-sports. They want a piece of that dolla dolla.

So esports are mmos basically

What will the elder scrolls esport be

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I apparently just spent around 3 hours in Endless Legend 32-bit, it seemed to churn a few times (and the load time on a new game seemed much higher) but no crash, which is nice.

However I won't be finishing that game because I slowly but surely came to the conclusion that I don't like playing the Cultists at all.

Might fiddle with some difficulty stuff before my next game, I think I saw a setting that said something about where the different factions start, this time I was hemmed in on two sides by AI and on a third by the Ocean, so it quickly turned into a shitshow of cold war shenanigans where I burned a bunch of influence converting a minor town and then they rolled up and attacked it.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Dan Ryckert is a monster.

Fixed that for you.

I just watched that video and feel like I need to vomit.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Fixed that for you.

A hero and a visionary

• Options

Fixed that for you.

Dan Ryckert, cooking for "normal dudes"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    That cooking video is terrible.

He didn't even use the proper fancy names for things like bain-marie!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Fixed that for you.

ugh just the concept is making me gag

goddamit ryckert

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Note that, in his experience, jelly beans are not quite up to "main course" standard

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    At PAX east they were absolutely treating evolve like an esport, there was a giant jumbotron streaming matches.with commentary

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I apparently just spent around 3 hours in Endless Legend 32-bit, it seemed to churn a few times (and the load time on a new game seemed much higher) but no crash, which is nice.

However I won't be finishing that game because I slowly but surely came to the conclusion that I don't like playing the Cultists at all.

Might fiddle with some difficulty stuff before my next game, I think I saw a setting that said something about where the different factions start, this time I was hemmed in on two sides by AI and on a third by the Ocean, so it quickly turned into a shitshow of cold war shenanigans where I burned a bunch of influence converting a minor town and then they rolled up and attacked it.

Maybe a bigger map with the same number of players?

I have had a similar experience in some games, starting in adjacent regions to multiple AI. My last game I ended up ruling a really weird long, thin, bendy kingdom that wrapped itself entirely around someone else's block. But then with the exact same settings I've also had games like the one I started today with empty regions all around me.

And oh, that makes me greedy.

How frequent were your crashes happening by the way? Sounds like they may have been more severe than mine.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I like what Turtle Rock is trying to do with Evolve, but I just don't think the whole thing comes together for a long-term enjoyable game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I like what Turtle Rock is trying to do with Evolve, but I just don't think the whole thing comes together for a long-term enjoyable game.

Not as long as there will only be the "Hunt" gamemode; the game will need more variety for sure

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm just amazed that they don't allow for five player groups. It really shows that "esports" mentality they are chasing where they'd rather get rid of a possible collusion exploit where a group can farm xp together than provide a pretty fun way for a group of people to play together.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Maybe a bigger map with the same number of players?

I have had a similar experience in some games, starting in adjacent regions to multiple AI. My last game I ended up ruling a really weird long, thin, bendy kingdom that wrapped itself entirely around someone else's block. But then with the exact same settings I've also had games like the one I started today with empty regions all around me.

And oh, that makes me greedy.

How frequent were your crashes happening by the way? Sounds like they may have been more severe than mine.

Bearing in mind that my total playtime is 5 hours I had one last night, didn't play again yesterday, and then today applied the 32-bit option and had none.

• Options
    I usually do 4 player standard maps. gives you a good amount of room

This discussion has been closed.