Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
Seriously, if you haven't seen the film turn back now.

• Options
    Okay so, super spoilers time for Interstellar--
    So, I think there's a bit of a plot hole at the end, right?

At the end, after Cooper is finished with the Tesseract/Black Hole, he "is found."

Did they say where he was found? They were orbiting Saturn, so I assume that the appeared in orbit somewhere near the wormhole, which was orbiting Saturn.

Anyway, so Cooper meets up with his kiddo, who tells him to go after Brand.

And then there's a cut to Brand back on the planet on the other side of the wormhole, and we're told that she's just now getting to sleep.

Wait a minute. Why would she just now be getting to sleep? Why didn't Murphy send more scouting runs through the Wormhole as soon as she found The Secret Formula?

(Ohh, as I'm typing this I'm wondering if I missed a critical detail --- Is that her planet orbits close to The Black Hole? And so time passes super slowly there. Something like a hundred years have passed on Earth, but only a couple months or years have passed for Brand?)

And some praise for one big part of the plot --
    I think for once, a movie has presented time travel in a way that does not violate causality. Time travel is thought to be impossible because it would violate causality, right? The ole grandfather paradox -- if time travel is possible you could go back in time and kill your grandfather, resulting in you never being born, and thus unable to kill your grandfather.

Other movies present some magical rules to deal with this -- Looper for example.

But I think that Interstellar doesn't make up any imaginary rules. It presents an answer for the grandfather paradox -- that the paradox is impossible. That's why they repeat a few times that "all things that can happen, do happen." You couldn't go back in time to kill your grandfather, because your grandfather was born. If Cooper was suddenly all like "fuck this black hole shit, I'm gonna try and use this magic to get me killed" he wouldn't have been able to. The only thing he could have done is what he actually did do.

Other general praise --
    My friends didn't care for the music but I really liked it. When's the last time organs have been used tastefully? Holy shit. Absolutely brilliant.

I love the way they presented the wormhole and the black hole. Absolutely stunning, and supposedly fairly accurate, given our limited knowledge.

The two planets on the other side of the wormhole were pretty awesome. Frozen clouds! Gigantic waves!

And some criticism --
    What's up with the robots? Would anyone actually design a robot to be a gigantic rectangle that sort of awkwardly walks around? The robots were really awkward and off-putting.

So, the blight. It is apparently some kind of fungus or bacteria that kills plants while simultaneously turning oxygen into nitrogen somehow, right? And it's such a horrible thing that you have to leave the planet and start over? Man, I hope they do a really, really good job of decontaminating people before they leave Earth. Because if you take the blight with you, the new planet will be fucked too.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I disagree
    that was one of the coolest robot designs I've ever seen, it resembles a lot of experimental modular robots and is sort of like a walking swiss army knife, but the best thing was it's character. This was a fresh, optimistic take on an AI, it didn't lie to protect the mission our do any of those cliche robot things that are all too common and it was funny as hell.
    "WHY ARE YOU WHISPERING?! THEY CAN'T HEAR US!"
    Best robot since R2D2.

There was one thing that was kind of bad. There is a lot of low talking and mumbling in this movie. It doesn't get in the way, and it's not like I missed anything important but it is noticeable.

Otherwise, gorgeous Tarkovski esque movie, which I highly recommend seeing in IMax.
    That shuttle explosion felt like I was there. Figuratively scared the shit out of me.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if you put spoilers in the title we might not need to spoiler every post, but I will for now just in case
    His daughter was old when he got home yes, but Brand just got to the planet while he was doing his weird time jump. it's not like she's been on the planet a super long time. No one has met with her yet, they may not be sure exactly where she is until coop is able to tell them. What the daughter did with the info is everything you see at the end, that enormous construction near the um... portal thing they took near saturn. She knew they found something but not exactly what or where, but they had the solution to the problem of physically getting off of earth.

music
    I agree on the organ. the way the music developed too, piano then organ, it was really quite beautiful. early on reminded me of philip glass. I rarely notice music in movies or care very much but I thought this stood out

overall
    an absolute achievement, the story was fine, some finer parts of story/script could have been better but this movie has other things that make it worth seeing, and worth seeing in a theater. it was exciting as hell while still being a nice, slow film which I appreciate. it didn't rush through space which almost makes up for the way it rushed through some story pieces (coop determining the dust was binary was crazy, and then immediately knowing it was coordinates... but I can forgive that type of thing when it facilitates an incredible experience.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    There's a definite Forever War situation going on with the ending. It's a bit confusing in places and a bit predictable in others but the story worked really well and has a good emotional center.

It's pretty interesting to think about how that's going to play out. As the first generation of colonists are made several hundred generations would have been born on stations around the solar system.

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    The recurring 'chord' motif that appears in the soundtrack several times in the film sounded exactly like the final chord in Also Sprach Zarathustra (the 2001 theme). To the point where I'm not certain whether it was just inspired by it, or a sample from the original recording that Kubrick used. It seemed to have a couple of extra dissonant notes added, but otherwise it was the same. Nice (if unsubtle) nod to Odyssey.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just got back from seeing it in IMax. I thought it was a great film, I really enjoyed it, and it was absolutely gorgeous in IMax.

Few things:
    Absolutely loved the robots. Great differences in character between the two of them. I never thought I'd get so tense from a docking sequence but the explosion really startled the crap out of me. Was completely mesmerized by the visual representation of a wormhole and blackhole.
    In creating the wormhole and a rotating black hole, which opposed to a non-rotating black hole possess an ergosphere, Dr. Thorne collaborated with visual effect supervisor Paul Franklin and a team of 30 computer effects artists at Double Negative. Thorne would provide pages of deeply sourced theoretical equations to the artists, who then wrote new CGI rendering software based on these equations to create accurate computer simulations of the gravitational lensing caused by these phenomena. Some individual frames took up to 100 hours to render, and ultimately resulted in 800 terabytes of data. The resulting visual effect provided Dr. Thorne with new insight into the effects of gravitational lensing and accretion disks surrounding black holes, and will lead to the creation of two scientific papers; one for the astrophysics community and one for the computer graphics community.

I also thought the movie handled time dilation and relativity really well. What really set it straight wasn't the videos of the kids growing up or the daughter being old, it hits when they go to the first planet and leave.

Just a heads up for people reading spoilers, don't read this one unless you've seen the film, it's about the end of the film.

Maybe I missed it, but here's the one thing I don't get, at the end:
    In the beginning of the film, we're led to believe that the "others", which we learn to be Cooper and Tars and presumably Humanity, created the wormhole for us. As Cooper and TARS are in the blackhole, Cooper says to TARS that there aren't any "others", they are the "others", they are the ones who caused the gravity situation, they're the reason they went through the wormhole, they're the reason Anne lands on a planet, starts a colony, humanity is presumably saved, gets super advanced, learns how to manipulate space and time. They're actions drive them ending up in the blackhole to influence all of that.

If there's no wormhole, there's no Cooper in the blackhole knocking over books, doing morsecode, giving calculations; humanity never leaves Earth and we presumably perish and never get the technology to create the wormhole. If there is a wormhole, then the crew goes through the entire events of the film: Anne lands on the planet, starts a new colony, humanity can leave earth, we're saved, we get super advanced and can manipulate space and time to create wormholes, so the crew can go through it in the first place. But that only happens if there's a wormhole in the beginning; that only happens if humanity leaves Earth, and humanity only leaves Earth because Cooper and TARS end up in the blackhole.

So where does the wormhole come from?

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    We probably shouldn't be using spoilers, just.. People who haven't seen the film should not be in here. :P

But whatever, I guess I'll keep using them.

Evigilant wrote: »
    Just a heads up for people reading spoilers, don't read this one unless you've seen the film, it's about the end of the film.

In the beginning of the film, we're led to believe that the "others", which we learn to be Cooper and Tars and presumably Humanity, created the wormhole for us. As Cooper and TARS are in the blackhole, Cooper says to TARS that there aren't any "others", they are the "others", they are the ones who caused the gravity situation, they're the reason they went through the wormhole, they're the reason Anne lands on a planet, starts a colony, humanity is presumably saved, gets super advanced, learns how to manipulate space and time. They're actions drive them ending up in the blackhole to influence all of that.

If there's no wormhole, there's no Cooper in the blackhole knocking over books, doing morsecode, giving calculations; humanity never leaves Earth and we presumably perish and never get the technology to create the wormhole. If there is a wormhole, then the crew goes through the entire events of the film: Anne lands on the planet, starts a new colony, humanity can leave earth, we're saved, we get super advanced and can manipulate space and time to create wormholes, so the crew can go through it in the first place. But that only happens if there's a wormhole in the beginning; that only happens if humanity leaves Earth, and humanity only leaves Earth because Cooper and TARS end up in the blackhole.

It's my understanding that the only things that Cooper did while inside the Tesseract were those things we saw -- so, shaking the bookshelf and thus causing young Murph to theorize a Poltergeist, telling her "STAY" in morse code, plotting the NASA coordinates for his younger self, and relaying the Secret Formula to old Murph via the wristwatch.

Everything else was the work of the 5th dimensional beings -- including creating the wormhole and the other gravitational phenomenon that Professor Brand spoke of towards the beginning of the film.

The 5th dimensional beings created the Tesseract specifically for Cooper, and those beings are the descendents of humanity -- people who've discovered how to transcend time itself.

Now, there's still a chicken and egg problem as you point out. There's an apparent causality problem, which you illustrate quite well. But the movie posits that there is no violation of causality. It's an unbroken loop which has no cause outside of itself.

In my mind, my common sense tells me this is impossible. There's nothing to get the loop started -- how can it just exist? I don't think I have answer for that.

• Options
    Listened to this roundtable review on NPR--

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/11/07/362273490/pop-culture-happy-hour-interstellar-and-other-space-movies

I'm pretty interested in the general reception/success of this film. I love these sort of films -- huge, high-concept, hard science films. I wish they were more popular. I'd much rather see another film like Interstellar than any of the super hero movies coming out in the next six years.

But it seems like I'm very much in the minority on that point. In that review I linked, the table just weren't into it. It was like listening to people who don't care for action movies reviewing an action movie.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the film, but was a little disappointed in the ending.

I especially like
    Matt Damon
    making an appearance, since I didn't even realize he was in the film!

• Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    The robots were great I thought. I kinda liked how quirky they were - reminded me of the bots in Silent Running for some reason even though they're completely different; maybe it was the stumbling around?

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I just need to know what the PA verdict is, should I go see this on imax, regular theater or wait for bluray?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I just need to know what the PA verdict is, should I go see this on imax, regular theater or wait for bluray?

At least go see it in theaters. I didn't see it in IMAX but in retrospect I might consider it.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

IMAX, now. I loved the film and it had a lot of 2001 in it with arguably the most impressive space sequences ever, but some of the writing was flat out bad.
    The ending made no sense. Where was this haven for humanity, and why was Brand abandoned?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

IMAX, now. I loved the film and it had a lot of 2001 in it with arguably the most impressive space sequences ever, but some of the writing was flat out bad.
    The ending made no sense. Where was this haven for humanity, and why was Brand abandoned?

Bubbly, I thought
    that Brand wassaved by CCooper's wullings to sacrifice his life by going into the last event horizon. Brand just continued on with her father's plan on colonozomg anplamet with frozen eggs on earth. And the end showed old Cooper getting into one of thesspacecraft and goingto look for Dr.Brand

Overall I enjoyed it. One of of Nolan's best originals.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Do you mean, why was Brand abandoned by Cooper whilst they escaped the Black Hole? Ostensibly, because the ship needed less weight and a bit of a boost via Newton's 3rd law. But I also think he had an outside chance of making it through the event horizon.

Or do you mean, why was Brand still alone on the planet when Cooper was rescued? That, I do not know. I do not think the movie offered an explanation for that. It seems that Murph knew about Brand, so why didn't she send an expedition to rescue her? I wonder if a bit of dialog explaining it was cut.

As far as the haven for humanity -- do you mean the ship on which Cooper awoke? I believe that was the NASA facility was in towards the beginning of the movie. Did you walk out and use the bathroom then? Michael Caine's character shows Cooper "Plan A", which is evacuating from the NASA facility, which is a spaceship that can only be lifted if he discovers the Magic Formula.

Melkster on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Melkster wrote: »
    Do you mean, why was Brand abandoned by Cooper whilst they escaped the Black Hole? Ostensibly, because the ship needed less weight and a bit of a boost via Newton's 3rd law. But I also think he had an outside chance of making it through the event horizon.

Or do you mean, why was Brand still alone on the planet when Cooper was rescued? That, I do not know. I do not think the movie offered an explanation for that. It seems that Murph knew about Brand, so why didn't she send an expedition to rescue her? I wonder if a bit of dialog explaining it was cut.

As far as the haven for humanity -- do you mean the ship on which Cooper awoke? I believe that was the NASA facility was in towards the beginning of the movie. Did you walk out and use the bathroom then? Michael Caine's character shows Cooper "Plan A", which is evacuating from the NASA facility, which is a spaceship that can only be lifted if he discovers the Magic Formula.
    It may not be that facility exactly - it's stated briefly that Murph is being flown over from another ship, so there's more than one. Murph has no reason to believe Brand is alive at all - they've been out of contact for a long time, and she was busy with the whole evacuation thing. Also, she may have written Brand off due to Brand Sr.'s shenanigans (as opposed to her dad, who she deduced was the ghost all along, though I don't think she ever found out he was in the dark too).

The only holes really in the movie are that it plays fast and loose with black holes (not that there's explicitly any evidence to the contrary, but I'm reasonably sure no black hole is remotely survivable... I could be wrong, I'm not Hawking or anything), and that it induces a spontaneous causal loop, which is... yeah.

Very much enjoyed the movie - I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any sci-fi fan. It's not the hardest sci-fi out there, but for Hollywood it's pretty damn hard.

The human interactions are well done too.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

It may not be that facility exactly - it's stated briefly that Murph is being flown over from another ship, so there's more than one. Murph has no reason to believe Brand is alive at all - they've been out of contact for a long time, and she was busy with the whole evacuation thing. Also, she may have written Brand off due to Brand Sr.'s shenanigans (as opposed to her dad, who she deduced was the ghost all along, though I don't think she ever found out he was in the dark too).

The only holes really in the movie are that it plays fast and loose with black holes (not that there's explicitly any evidence to the contrary, but I'm reasonably sure no black hole is remotely survivable... I could be wrong, I'm not Hawking or anything), and that it induces a spontaneous causal loop, which is... yeah.

Very much enjoyed the movie - I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any sci-fi fan. It's not the hardest sci-fi out there, but for Hollywood it's pretty damn hard.

The human interactions are well done too.
    Hmm... Didn't Murph prompt him to go find Brand?

• Options

regarding Brand, the second part. And I missed that it was just the NASA facility, I thought it was something else. Seemed that they saved all of humanity so I thought it was a new planet.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Just got back from the theater. Saw it on 70mm Imax. It is a great film, but the story is very much a product of hollywood. My favorite part of the film is when you see shots of space craft in space you really don't feel like you're seeing a visual effect or some sort of green screen shenanigans. All the craft in the film were actually made and moved around and the shots Nolan got are superb. Despite seeing as much as we see of stars, planets, wormholes, blackholes, etc I wish there were more. As awesome as 70mm is it is however still film and occasionally certain scenes looked awful.

I almost laughed out loud when Cooper said
    "We're out of orbit!" Context: Matt Damon had betrayed everyone and blown himself out of the airlock. Cooper is going to match the rotation and velocity of the rotating mothership and dock with it. The entire time the rotating mothership's orbit is rapidly decaying and the craft is beginning to enter the upper layers of the atmosphere. Cooper succeeds in his ridiculous docking maneuver, fires his engines, and drops the line. I think they want to be IN orbit and OUT of the atmosphere.

one other thing
    So the system they visited must have once been a binary star system right? When they arrive we see a star, but these planets are orbiting a black hole. Despite this they still are in some sort of habital zone as they have liquid/ice water, hydrocarbons, organics, etc. I'm not sure which part I have more questions about. If the planets are orbiting the black hole where is the star that would put them in a habital range for liquid water? Does the star orbit the black hole with the planets or does the black hole orbit the star? And considering if our own star collapsed and formed a black hole every planet except for shit past Neptune would be destroyed why was a planet with liquid water not destroyed in the formation of the black hole? And if we go back to who's orbiting what Matt Damon said his ice world of Hoth had 67 hours of night and day. That would suggest the planet is orbiting the star and not the black hole wouldn't it?

• Options
    yes but that's after he's back and has caught everyone up on what's happening

that was my interpretation watching it

even if she knows from her own contact with brand, brand just got to the planet I think. I don't feel like much time passes from when the two split to when he's found floating. maybe I misunderstood though

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Variable wrote: »

even if she knows from her own contact with brand, brand just got to the planet I think. I don't feel like much time passes from when the two split to when he's found floating. maybe I misunderstood though
    what about the final shot where Brand turns around and she has like a bitchin base camp set up? She couldn't have just landed if she set all that up could she?

edit: scratch that I forgot her boytoy had gotten there first and was apparently dead when she got there

Shogun on
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    one other thing
    So the system they visited must have once been a binary star system right? When they arrive we see a star, but these planets are orbiting a black hole. Despite this they still are in some sort of habital zone as they have liquid/ice water, hydrocarbons, organics, etc. I'm not sure which part I have more questions about. If the planets are orbiting the black hole where is the star that would put them in a habital range for liquid water? Does the star orbit the black hole with the planets or does the black hole orbit the star? And considering if our own star collapsed and formed a black hole every planet except for shit past Neptune would be destroyed why was a planet with liquid water not destroyed in the formation of the black hole? And if we go back to who's orbiting what Matt Damon said his ice world of Hoth had 67 hours of night and day. That would suggest the planet is orbiting the star and not the black hole wouldn't it?

So, Neil DeGrasse Tyson says...
    Tyson said the worlds could plausibly be illuminated by the glow of a black hole's accretion disk

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/after-cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-dives-science-interstellar-n243796

• Options
    edited November 2014

Oh wait a minute. Trolling the internet lead me to this--

http://screenrant.com/interstellar-ending-spoilers-time-travel/3/
    Due to close proximity with gravitational anomalies from a nearby black hole (Gargantua), time on the other side is exponentially slower – relative to the distance between an object and the black hole’s gravitational pull.

Using a reversal of the film’s primary relativity theory, Cooper hops into a ship, with the knowledge that even though nearly one hundred years have passed since the Endurance first set out, time on the other side of the wormhole is moving much slower – meaning that a second trip should allow him to reunite with Amelia on Edmonds’ planet only a short time after Cooper first sacrificed himself and dropped into the singularity. We don’t actually see the reunion, so Cooper’s actual fate is left up to some interpretation, but there’s reason to be optimistic that he reaches Amelia and helps ready the colony for humankind.

Melkster on
  • Options

Due to close proximity with gravitational anomalies from a nearby black hole (Gargantua), time on the other side is exponentially slower – relative to the distance between an object and the black hole’s gravitational pull.

Using a reversal of the film’s primary relativity theory, Cooper hops into a ship, with the knowledge that even though nearly one hundred years have passed since the Endurance first set out, time on the other side of the wormhole is moving much slower – meaning that a second trip should allow him to reunite with Amelia on Edmonds’ planet only a short time after Cooper first sacrificed himself and dropped into the singularity. We don’t actually see the reunion, so Cooper’s actual fate is left up to some interpretation, but there’s reason to be optimistic that he reaches Amelia and helps ready the colony for humankind.
    It was a forgone conclusion to me that this happens and they become a happy couple, the end. The film was really strong but it was so Hollywood.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Except
    Cooper spends WAY longer in Gargantua's gravity well than Brandt does, since he's diving into it while Brandt is slingshotting away from it. So Brandt should have aged faster than Cooper, too, just as Romilly did when they traveled to that first planet.

Also, see it in IMAX, it's gorgeous.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    one other thing

I was wondering about this too.
    Could the planets originate from outer orbits, or could they have previously orbited the other star in the binary system? My understanding of this stuff is a bit shaky, but doesn't the presence of an accretion disc mean that the black hole is drawing matter from its companion star (otherwise there would be no disc and the BH would be invisible)? So couldn't it have stolen some of the other star's planets in the same process? That could explain how they survived the original collapse of the star that became Gargantua.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I really wondered about their planet selection, it seems like they could have done a better job of prioritizing, especially considering we pretty much have a 100 idea what the other planets in our solar system are like. Did they just not include any telescopy or spectral analysis equipment? If anything it would seem like sending probes to orbit the planets and take data as a backup to the human explorers would be a good idea.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Incidentally the bit where Matt Damon explodes was great in Imax. I jumped and a woman next to me just shouted "Shit!". Good cinema experience that.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    one other thing

I was wondering about this too.
    Could the planets originate from outer orbits, or could they have previously orbited the other star in the binary system? My understanding of this stuff is a bit shaky, but doesn't the presence of an accretion disc mean that the black hole is drawing matter from its companion star (otherwise there would be no disc and the BH would be invisible)? So couldn't it have stolen some of the other star's planets in the same process? That could explain how they survived the original collapse of the star that became Gargantua.

Ok so after sleeping on this the movie is way more about time than it is space or space travel. Chris Nolan really, really wanted to play with the opposing forces of relative and gravitational time dilation.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    We probably shouldn't be using spoilers, just.. People who haven't seen the film should not be in here. :P

But whatever, I guess I'll keep using them.

Evigilant wrote: »

It's my understanding that the only things that Cooper did while inside the Tesseract were those things we saw -- so, shaking the bookshelf and thus causing young Murph to theorize a Poltergeist, telling her "STAY" in morse code, plotting the NASA coordinates for his younger self, and relaying the Secret Formula to old Murph via the wristwatch.

Everything else was the work of the 5th dimensional beings -- including creating the wormhole and the other gravitational phenomenon that Professor Brand spoke of towards the beginning of the film.

The 5th dimensional beings created the Tesseract specifically for Cooper, and those beings are the descendents of humanity -- people who've discovered how to transcend time itself.

Now, there's still a chicken and egg problem as you point out. There's an apparent causality problem, which you illustrate quite well. But the movie posits that there is no violation of causality. It's an unbroken loop which has no cause outside of itself.

In my mind, my common sense tells me this is impossible. There's nothing to get the loop started -- how can it just exist? I don't think I have answer for that.
    I think the idea is that the 5th dimensional beings are our distant descendants, after we 'evolve' beyond our 4 dimensions (I'm calling BS on using 'evolve' like that, but whatever.
    So there are 'others' who created the wormhole, but they weren't the ones who sent the messages to Murph. That was Cooper, who sent the messages that got him on the mission (stable time loop), then the calculations they needed.
    And in the same way that Cooper gets the calculations to leave Earth back to Murph, they created the wormhole, and the Tesseract (possibly the black hole itself?) to ensure their own existence. After all, if they came from humanity, they needed humanity to survive so it could turn into them. So, there were two separate forces setting up stable time loops, both for their own preservation.
    I think.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    that our THEY are just nice guys and didn't want to see a race go extinct and Copper created his own paradox

• Options
    The
    Robots in "Interstellar" I really liked as well. They resembled what a real life "Transformer" Robot could do.

• Options
    See.. Even Geth approves of this Film. You can't get a better recognition than that!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    One logic problem I had
    They have the technology to make AI's with a personality and tons of functions, yet they can't remotely check that there aren't huge fucking waves on the planet they're about to land on? The water planet was an amazing sequence but it's just ludicrous to me how they got into that situation to begin with. Even when flying over it Coop should have spotted the wave.

Bubby on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    One logic problem I had
    They have the technology to make AI's with a personality and tons of functions, yet they can't remotely check that there aren't huge fucking waves on the planet they're about to land on? The water planet was an amazing sequence but it's just ludicrous to me how they got into that situation to begin with. Even when flying over it Coop should have spotted the wave.
    There are weird inconsistencies with technology. The people in NASA weren't aware that Cooper, the best pilot apparently, was even alive, yet he was just a day's drive from their base? What happened to, I dunno, newspapers and the internet, or calling someone up on the damn phone?

Still, just got back from the movie and absolutely loved it, quirky plot holes and macguffins aside.

Darlan on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I found
    the bits with Matt Damon to be the weakest part of the movie--minus the depressurization. Not his portrayal but the whole twist of it could have easily been established by accessing his archive log. The deal about interstellar travel is the limited supplies and by going to the planet alone had screwed them over. Here you have a selfish SOB just wanting to be saved is a great twist but you don't need a fist fight to get that across, which dragged on way too long. Nice to see Cooper in need of saving by Brand instead of the other way around but the situation felt forced.

Also having Murph taking way too long at her brother's farm just made the ticking clock fail as it kept going and going. Yes, time wise for the movie it was quick, but it kept being "we're out of time, he's coming back....eventually...wait he's here in time for your hug!" If it had been tighter it would have been far more effective.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the movie even with the problems pointed out by others.

The robots were stellar. 8-)

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Haha hoooly shit

I thought the misinterpretations of basic physical realities were annoying and then it pivots to ridiculous misinterpretations of human cognition!

But actually the reason this fell flat for me was that despite taking place in the most hostile possible natural conditions, the ticking clocks introduced were almost entirely immaterial.

Every time something needed to be done... and fast it was for no goddamn reason. They could have hashed most of the decisions out for a goddamn week instead of crying at each other.
    I really wondered about their planet selection, it seems like they could have done a better job of prioritizing, especially considering we pretty much have a 100 idea what the other planets in our solar system are like. Did they just not include any telescopy or spectral analysis equipment? If anything it would seem like sending probes to orbit the planets and take data as a backup to the human explorers would be a good idea.

The best part is that they essentially set out for the viewer that the appropriate order is 3 - 2 - 1 to expend fuel while you've got it while saving time. Then they just fuck it all up, and without even taking a second to say literally look out the goddamn window at the planet they're about to land on.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    do you want to explain specifically what you're talking about? because I don't have a clue

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    A mistake on Magic Time World means that you lose an immense amount of time AND fuel, because you have to sit there.

Going for 3 - 2 - 1 takes you down the line with fuel and time as equalized as possible. They act like "it will take months!" is some sort of obstacle when the other option is "one of us will stay up here for 2 years, if we're absolutely as lucky as possible"

Then they head down because no time for discussion even though actually there's apparently years worth, and they run into something that is enormous in scale and could probably have been observed in some manner if they had taken a bit of time instead of just looking at the apparently phantom YES ping.

And the thing that marked the end of me being really invested was when he embarked on a mission that would take a minimum of 2 years without getting a chance to reconcile with his kid because you know... they have to... leave... today? I guess? Whenever that day was. If they didn't, they would have completed their mission in it literally didn't matter because there were no plans to do anything but colonize a place!

There was a lot of shouting and crying about situations that they had months to think over and resolve.

Annnnd the but you can love a dead person speech was painful to watch. Astrophysics is a science, but psychology is magic that we feel our way into truths about.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, that's what I pointed out before, having advanced A.I. but no ability to send a probe and scout the planet out beforehand is absurd. I'll buy that they had to physically go down there themselves (even though a machine should be able to just go down there and retrieve some scrapmetal, which is essentially all it was), but being blindsided by the wave was total contrivance. Though to achieve a moment like that you kind of have to resort to contrivance - it was pretty awesome and really exciting and I'm guessing Nolan just thought it was worth it for some stupid writing. The added element of years passing as they waiting for the ship to start back up again added a really haunting element to it, though Romily didn't seem terribly rattled for spending 23 years alone on the ship. I was unclear if he was in cryosleep most of the time or was just hanging out - he should have gone mad if he wasn't asleep.

Bubby on