As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Runs

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Peaches has a shuttle leaving in 25 minutes, and he's doing a Kid Chameleon run.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I knew this would happen, but I woke up just as the final speeches were being given. I am getting to participate in the raid, though. :)

The ticker broke, so what was the final tally?

I fell asleep right after Dancing Mad ended, but they were saying it was somewhere around $712k at that time.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I didn't catch much of this live, but I'm happy to have a few months worth of videos to watch now.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I knew this would happen, but I woke up just as the final speeches were being given. I am getting to participate in the raid, though. :)

The ticker broke, so what was the final tally?

I fell asleep right after Dancing Mad ended, but they were saying it was somewhere around $712k at that time.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I didn't catch much of this live, but I'm happy to have a few months worth of videos to watch now.

And Bonus Stream!

• Options
    That is incredibly good for a summer marathon. It's less than $300,000 shy of AQGD '14, and it's well over twice as much as SGDQ '13 brought in.

Excellent.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Just watched the VOD of the Pikmin run, holy fuck I used to think I was hot shit finishing the game in fifteen days and they're stomping it in four and a bit.

• Options
    How...does one speed run Star Fox 64? I mean the majority of the game is on-rails.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    How...does one speed run Star Fox 64? I mean the majority of the game is on-rails.

left c lots?

• Options
    What the hell is this shit

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    What the hell is this shit

The Giant Bomb quick look made it seem pretty cool.

But I'm not totally watching the stream right now.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I still cannot figure out what a spinball is...

• Options
    Oh my god this game

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I still cannot figure out what a spinball is...
    Sonic Spinball; I imagine 1 spinball is equal to the average speedrun for the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wait, if that's what Risk of Rain is, then what's that other game by the guy who made Beyond: Two Souls?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    raining hard
    it's heavy rain

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Source is chat so dunno if it's right but someone said this is the bonus stream schedule:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tAz9JyhHFl53LXBVZZdK2rQ/htmlview

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Some choice picks:

This Is All Staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axCFWaX4Pk

Welcome to Skyward Sword Abridged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbYFfc7G4c

Is This A Let's Play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnVm3bmHLI#_=_

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Wow that was a really short bonus stream this year. Oh well!

A fantastic year of marathons to be sure, raising nearly two million in donations. Next stop: AGDQ 2015!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HYPE

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think they said after AGDQ that they were going to cut down on the bonus streams.The technical staff was just too burned out to do too much more.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I really enjoy the tas / glitch sections. I also love the awful games during agdq because half the time there is a game I played and liked :/

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow that was a really short bonus stream this year. Oh well!

A fantastic year of marathons to be sure, raising nearly two million in donations. Next stop: AGDQ 2015!

Working for a massive (and very profitable) corporation, things like this and Child's Play really put in context what a motivated group of people can do.

"Oh, we raised $20,000 for Charity X? That's adorable. Pretty sure that's a good afternoon for Child's Play at this point, and do five times as much in friendly arguing as to whether or not some video game animals get saved. The whole portfolio is worth, like, billions. We do more with some video game streams, an amazon wishlist and a giant pile of pocket change. Come back to me when you add another zero or two to that."

Which, to be real, is being pithy about charity, and more directly, it's not like they don't contribute to piles of projects over the year. Just something I have a hard time reconciling at times, given the raw figures I know people are capable of, and they announce like 10k as though it were a big deal (for this company that's not even considered a rounding error).

And they are getting better.

But, long story short, yeah, this has been a pretty awesome year for the speedrunning marathons. Chrono Trigger at the end of the last one, FFVI for this one, and I'm pretty sure Secret of Mana was run either during AGDQ2014 or one of the two in 2013, meaning they've managed to hit my trifecta of awesome SNES era RPGs.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The FFT wr holder is doing his best to put together a run interesting enough to run at a gdq, english no math I believe

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a Metroid Classic race, where the runners used the Justin Bailey code.
    I imagine it would take longer to get the hardware set up then it would for them to actually finish, but I think it'd be fun to watch.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    While I didn't see a ton of SGDQ thanks to my work schedule being annoying, I did notice that they got setup times significantly dropped outside of the races. So good on them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    The FFT wr holder is doing his best to put together a run interesting enough to run at a gdq, english no math I believe

I watched the VoD of the run with math and he has a pretty good banter during his run. He could definitely make it interesting enough to be worth having at one of the live events.

I am specifically talking about the 4:08 record set by theclaude. Not sure if he is still the holder.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I miss long bonus streams, even if half the time they were weird nonsense or something like Funkdoc and Withhelde playing board games. It'd be cool if there was an organizational way to keep stuff going on a skeleton crew that also let the main tech team pack up, but I imagine even that is kind of a nightmare and an expensive thing to ask of people. It just ends so fast! I was busy for a couple days and came back to no bonus stream and it felt like a vacant hole all of a sudden.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    I think the problem is that you either have people stay another week (which requesting two weeks off work is uh...not easy for most people) or have another, smaller crew specifically for bonus stream. But at that point you are basically extending the marathon to two weeks.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

I watched the VoD of the run with math and he has a pretty good banter during his run. He could definitely make it interesting enough to be worth having at one of the live events.

I am specifically talking about the 4:08 record set by theclaude. Not sure if he is still the holder.

Yeah that's him. His issue is that he's competing against hugely popular games for the jrpg slot, so he's going out of his way to make something people would be more interested to watch, so doing it with no math and with english text (though he thinks the math/jp run is more interesting from a runner perspective)

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Yeah that's him. His issue is that he's competing against hugely popular games for the jrpg slot, so he's going out of his way to make something people would be more interested to watch, so doing it with no math and with english text (though he thinks the math/jp run is more interesting from a runner perspective)

OK awesome. Yeah he was quite entertaining during the wr video. At least as entertaining as some of the runners I have seen show up. Then again FFT is probably my third favorite game of all time so I am a bit biased. It would definitely put me firmly on the hype train. I have watched a few of the VoDs from last week and I am further saddened that I could not watch live. Also now I really want to play New Super Mario Bros. That game looked like a wonderful mixture of old and new.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    More marathons for the marathon throne: European Speedster Assembly has started their week-long marathon. Lots of big games, and two streams often running concurrently. Here's the schedule: http://www.europeanspeedsterassembly.com/schedule

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Buckle your freakin pants cause real time Super Metroid no oob any% just got sub 44'd with a new TAStastic route.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RGJE2czxUJw&feature=youtu.be

Edit- While I'm here

DK28 is a really cool guy and got sub 10 Minutes in Contra, he's a chill guy and is currently doing Castlevania 4 Low% now that Contra's been shelved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlUkifgUAr0

Pib got sub 2 in Spelunky HD! Loud at end you've been warned.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rgCovly4uz4

SkutSkut on
  • Options
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Can't believe I'm going to be at work for the vast majority of AGDQ again! I think this time I'll just stick my fingers in my ears as its happening and do a bulk archive stream for the week I get back. So, so, so much to love on that list

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow, they're really going to do Binding of Isaac again? They did that once and it went terribly.

UNLESS they end up going with Rebirth, because that game has codes of seeds so you can have a specific "speed run seed" that at least starts you off with Epic Fetus and the Compass.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    They're doing Risk of Rain too which died to Providence at the end but this is a solo merc with artifacts run from the looks of it.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I just realised Super Mario 64 isn't on the list, I thought it was pretty much a staple in events such as this. Puncayshun has been breaking 70 and 120 star world records fairly regularly of late, but maybe they couldn't get him or some near his calibre to come this year?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I know they do a bazillion games but maybe they want to give it a break? pure speculation, I have no clue how they make those decisions.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I think at some point maybe they assume it gets old seeing the same games not even every year, but every marathon? I think even SGDQ has a lot of Super Metroid/OoT/Mario speedruns

YL9WnCY.png