Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    you tuned out when he left home at the time they were planning to leave in order to save the world because you think they could have waited forever. so you're wrong on that but at least I understand why you didn't like the rest of the movie, you weren't actually giving it a chance.

he had a chance to reconcile with her. she was mad so there was no reconciliation. that's what happened. then it was time to go which, I don't know, doesn't in any way seem strange to me, that there'd be a set time to initiate the mission.

I am not understanding your second paragraph or why you continue to assume that they have infinite time. I felt like they made it clear that the faster it all got done the better. so yeah it taking months was an obstacle, however it was one they had to deal with because it was pretty important that they save humanity. and you I guess missed the fact that only few people knew there were no plans to return.

do not understand your psychology is magic statement which I guess is on me but I can't tell where you're being serious or sarcastic

I don't feel like this was perfect at all but your complaints are really bizarro to me. including what you said in the other thread, that the two planets they visited were not interesting. the fact that you called the planet with the frozen clouds and all that 'rock planet' pretty much told me all I needed to know about your interest in the movie.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    The two planets they visited along with every minute of space travel were absolutely phenominal, by far the high points in the movie. There aren't a lot of films about astronauts exploring planets, and this had the most well-realized and atmospheric vision of that I've ever seen. Iceland was a great choice to shoot all that stuff in. Too bad we only got a glimpse of the third planet, it looked Mars-ish.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    One logic problem I had
    They have the technology to make AI's with a personality and tons of functions, yet they can't remotely check that there aren't huge fucking waves on the planet they're about to land on? The water planet was an amazing sequence but it's just ludicrous to me how they got into that situation to begin with. Even when flying over it Coop should have spotted the wave.
    There are weird inconsistencies with technology. The people in NASA weren't aware that Cooper, the best pilot apparently, was even alive, yet he was just a day's drive from their base? What happened to, I dunno, newspapers and the internet, or calling someone up on the damn phone?

Still, just got back from the movie and absolutely loved it, quirky plot holes and macguffins aside.

From the sound of it, he'd been split up with them for years after that crash in the opening. Not really surprising they were out of touch when as far as he knew NASA had been disbanded.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I pointed out before, having advanced A.I. but no ability to send a probe and scout the planet out beforehand is absurd. I'll buy that they had to physically go down there themselves (even though a machine should be able to just go down there and retrieve some scrapmetal, which is essentially all it was), but being blindsided by the wave was total contrivance. Though to achieve a moment like that you kind of have to resort to contrivance - it was pretty awesome and really exciting and I'm guessing Nolan just thought it was worth it for some stupid writing. The added element of years passing as they waiting for the ship to start back up again added a really haunting element to it, though Romily didn't seem terribly rattled for spending 23 years alone on the ship. I was unclear if he was in cryosleep most of the time or was just hanging out - he should have gone mad if he wasn't asleep.

even if they sent down a super intelligent probe the only information you'd get from it would be the first few minutes of it landing on the surface. So it would have seen was shallow water surface below, potentially compatible atmosphere and OH SHI... !

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Are we still spoilering? I guess not? Whatever!
    I fucking loved the robots so much. They were extremely human without looking human. The animators did a phenomenal job with making their movements look natural to their form, not stupid clunky robot movements. I also loved that they were just regular ass robots, not programmed with secret backstabbing or going crazy or anything.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory

Earlier, people were quibbling about when he fell out of the black hole. He was literally swimming through time in it, talking with young Murph and then old Murph within minutes. While he said the "others" had no way of communicating with the people because of difference in ways to perceive time, it's likely that they could drop him out at the same time as he came in, not putting him too far from Brand's time. Like a musician who can hear a note and easily reproduce that note (also, we 3D beings totally can't hear the music at all). At least, that's my headcannon for it.

I love how there were so many things in this movie that weren't fully explained, but didn't need full explanations.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I guess time is a flat circle after all.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I did come up with a few predictions over the course of the movie:
    A crew member will die on the first planet - check
    One of the crew will go crazy, or be following different orders to the rest of them - first one check, then the other
    One or more of the AIs will prioritize the mission over the current situation - pleasantly not checked. I was expecting them not to relay the 'he lied to us' message.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    A mistake on Magic Time World means that you lose an immense amount of time AND fuel, because you have to sit there.

Going for 3 - 2 - 1 takes you down the line with fuel and time as equalized as possible. They act like "it will take months!" is some sort of obstacle when the other option is "one of us will stay up here for 2 years, if we're absolutely as lucky as possible"

Then they head down because no time for discussion even though actually there's apparently years worth, and they run into something that is enormous in scale and could probably have been observed in some manner if they had taken a bit of time instead of just looking at the apparently phantom YES ping.

And the thing that marked the end of me being really invested was when he embarked on a mission that would take a minimum of 2 years without getting a chance to reconcile with his kid because you know... they have to... leave... today? I guess? Whenever that day was. If they didn't, they would have completed their mission in it literally didn't matter because there were no plans to do anything but colonize a place!

I honestly don't understand what you're saying in the first 2 paragraphs. If your saying that they have a lot of time, they actually don't, since they're working on the assumption that Plan A was gonna work, which is why they need all the time they can get or else there wouldn't be any humans left to save.

And they had to leave soon because they all thought that there was a chance to save the people on Earth. It was only later that they found out they couldn't. If you're on a mission to save the Earth, you probably need to do it sooner rather than later. After all, it takes years to reach the wormhole itself, and additional years to survey then go home.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just saw it tonight. Impressions:
    The robots are great designs that reveal nothing at first glance of their tremendous capabilities, and seeing them spring into action in moments of danger is easily worth the price of admission. Please do not spoil this part of the film for anyone by talking about these spinning, galloping monoliths. They are easily the best part of the film.

That dippy speech about love and the cliched handling of Anne Hathaway's character are easily the worst.

I give Nolan credit for acknowledging time dilation, one of the most interesting phenomena of the observable universe and something almost totally ignored on the big screen. It's just a shame that the Obligatory Big Reveal blows causality out the airlock.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    qwer12 wrote: »
    A mistake on Magic Time World means that you lose an immense amount of time AND fuel, because you have to sit there.

Going for 3 - 2 - 1 takes you down the line with fuel and time as equalized as possible. They act like "it will take months!" is some sort of obstacle when the other option is "one of us will stay up here for 2 years, if we're absolutely as lucky as possible"

Then they head down because no time for discussion even though actually there's apparently years worth, and they run into something that is enormous in scale and could probably have been observed in some manner if they had taken a bit of time instead of just looking at the apparently phantom YES ping.

And the thing that marked the end of me being really invested was when he embarked on a mission that would take a minimum of 2 years without getting a chance to reconcile with his kid because you know... they have to... leave... today? I guess? Whenever that day was. If they didn't, they would have completed their mission in it literally didn't matter because there were no plans to do anything but colonize a place!

I honestly don't understand what you're saying in the first 2 paragraphs. If your saying that they have a lot of time, they actually don't, since they're working on the assumption that Plan A was gonna work, which is why they need all the time they can get or else there wouldn't be any humans left to save.

And they had to leave soon because they all thought that there was a chance to save the people on Earth. It was only later that they found out they couldn't. If you're on a mission to save the Earth, you probably need to do it sooner rather than later. After all, it takes years to reach the wormhole itself, and additional years to survey then go home.

What I mean is that they behave as though there was a minutes-long ticking clock when it could just as easily be an hours-long, days-long, or weeks-long ticking clock. There's no narrative established as to why he cannot make certain his beloved child understands what he is doing.

They just have him drive off on Some Deadline. Like, she is held back teary eyed from coming out to get him because if he took the extra 26 seconds to turn around he'd miss the mumble mumble.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I guess time is a flat circle after all.

No, it's a sphere, of course.

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular

What I mean is that they behave as though there was a minutes-long ticking clock when it could just as easily be an hours-long, days-long, or weeks-long ticking clock. There's no narrative established as to why he cannot make certain his beloved child understands what he is doing.

They just have him drive off on Some Deadline. Like, she is held back teary eyed from coming out to get him because if he took the extra 26 seconds to turn around he'd miss the mumble mumble.

They already established that the ship was going soon, they already had pilots ready, its just that Cooper stumbled upon the base just before the mission, and he was more qualified. And I don't think they would delay the mission just so Cooper could talk to his child, when they felt that they had the human race's existence in their hands, and because they wanted to also save the people that went before them.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    He does say that he wasn't going to tell his daughter that the planet was doomed, on the basis that that's not something you tell your daughter.
    Without telling her that, it's hard to justify why he was going.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So with the first planet, they really could have sent a remote control probe/rover/bot. With the time dilation they'd have none of the delay problems we have with mars rc probes (Ie no problem with driving your probe into a ditch then not knowing for 45 minutes because the transit time of instructions at light speed is going to be minute compared to time dilation anyway, and you can zoom around exploring the other planets in the year or two it takes to land the rover and scout around a bit.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I loved the Matt Damon reveal, had no idea he was in this.

When the airlock blew, everyone in the crowd gasped. Then, as soon as the theater quieted down, someone yelled this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KHcSQiVz0

Totally ripped me out of the movie, but everyone still laughed their ass off.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So with the first planet, they really could have sent a remote control probe/rover/bot. With the time dilation they'd have none of the delay problems we have with mars rc probes (Ie no problem with driving your probe into a ditch then not knowing for 45 minutes because the transit time of instructions at light speed is going to be minute compared to time dilation anyway, and you can zoom around exploring the other planets in the year or two it takes to land the rover and scout around a bit.
    Except that it would take a year to move an inch

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Exactly. When one hour of in-planet time translates to 23 years, good luck getting any useful information back in your 2-10 year journey to the other planets. You'll be gone just long enough for the robot to send "Welp, I'm landed and it's a lot of water."

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Exactly. When one hour of in-planet time translates to 23 years, good luck getting any useful information back in your 2-10 year journey to the other planets. You'll be gone just long enough for the robot to send "Welp, I'm landed and it's a lot of water."
    Follow-up transmission: Oh, hey, there are mountains here.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Also, watching Event Horizon after Interstellar is maddening.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    We don't need spoiler tags, guys.

• Options
    I guess not

• Options
    I think a lot of the movie can be summed up in the exact replication of the Event Horizon explanation of a wormhole scene, but with unnecessary extra explanation.

Oh also wait I forgot two things about this:

TARS was super fun, the design and the characterization was just very neat. I loved every little mode they showed him in and it was neat to have him remain essentially a nifty tool with a bit of characterization rather than making him into a sentience parable.

And two: did Cooper's kid name his kid "Cooper Cooper"?

Because like Cooper is his last name, right? I thought everyone was going by last names. Then his son names his son "Cooper" like he forgot it was his dad's last name, not his first.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Terrendos wrote: »

And good luck getting a camp set up, or colony set up, in time to take on the evacuees from Earth, when time is moving that slowly on the surface. Infrastructure-wise, nothing will ever be ready. Plus, things will happen much too fast in the universe around you. That planet was a death trap, even if it had turned out to be a paradise down on the surface. And they shouldn't have had any reason to expect that given its proximity to one of the deepest gravity wells in the universe. Those massive tidal forces were inevitably going to make it either Rogue Wave Planet or Volcanic Hellscape Planet.

Something positive:
    It's pretty cool that clips from interviews with actual Dust Bowl survivors were used, from a Ken Burns documentary. And even cooler that they approached not only Ken Burns, but the survivors themselves, for their permission to use the material in Interstellar.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I'm also just annoyed that the time-dilation planet wasn't simply a super-heavy gravity planet. I wanted to see Mission of Gravity on the big screen!

Actually that reminds me a friend after the movie was like "Oh they must have been so pissed to find out someone else took the name Gravity"

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I think, on some reflection, that I would have enjoyed this movie more as like, a miniseries or something where they could have given better time/meaning to a lot of the things which were really cool but felt very much like we were rushing to get through them after spending 20 minutes near the beginning of the film on chasing a drone...

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    TARS was super fun, the design and the characterization was just very neat. I loved every little mode they showed him in and it was neat to have him remain essentially a nifty tool with a bit of characterization rather than making him into a sentience parable.

From start to finish, he was pretty much GERTY from "Moon".

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »

I mean yeah that's essentially why I liked him. He also totally doesn't quite fit. Like it's a super-cool design but it's sort of overly advanced for where things are otherwise.

Also he seems capable of doing everything they do faster and better so it's weird when they do things themselves that TARS could do.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    TARS is easily the best part of the film for my money, but then I am always a sucker for a smartass robot.

and the droid builds do feel a bit out of place in consideration of the level of technology on display elsewhere in the story. They're so efficient and alien.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

I mean yeah that's essentially why I liked him. He also totally doesn't quite fit. Like it's a super-cool design but it's sort of overly advanced for where things are otherwise.

Also he seems capable of doing everything they do faster and better so it's weird when they do things themselves that TARS could do.

Given the way things were on Earth based on one of Brand Jr's lines early on in the film, it felt like Tars/Cage/Flit(sp?) were holdovers from a better time (especially implied by John Lithgow's father character talking about the past). NASA was still trying to do big things with what they could in their budget and basically cludging together the remnants of the old space program for their mission (the ranger ships were not new, Cooper was flying one identical in the dream sequence), but overall most people in the rest of the had decided to settle in for the inevitable (to them) slow decline. Hence the changing of the history books to make the past look less desirable for the next generation, etc.

As an aside, I loved that they didn't get to Saturn off a lone giant rocket and instead had built & fueled their actual ship in orbit. It was a good sign that they tried to do their homework on what interplanetary space travel would require based on our current and near future tech. Though I wonder why they launched the ranger off of a sorta saturn v when it was capable of direct to orbit flight on its own (other than saving the ranger's fuel, I guess).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    what was the point in the probe scene at the start? They didn't seem to do anything with it. It basically just served for the teacher to make a wisecrack about Cooper during the start of the meeting

• Options
    what was the point in the probe scene at the start? They didn't seem to do anything with it. It basically just served for the teacher to make a wisecrack about Cooper during the start of the meeting

I thought it went off course because of the gravitational anomaly, or it was another sign of the decaying infrastructure of the world (an unmanned drone left to its own devices and Cooper & co scavenging from it). It kind of was a loose end or should have been tied up through some better editing.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I thought it went off course because of the gravitational anomaly, or it was another sign of the decaying infrastructure of the world (an unmanned drone left to its own devices and Cooper & co scavenging from it). It kind of was a loose end or should have been tied up through some better editing.

They could have driven home some of the overarching theme by having his finding and scavenging machines like the drone and rigging automatic combines is a huge part of what makes the farm work, and his kid is a good farmer but not a good enough engineer to keep things going.

• Options
    I'm also just annoyed that the time-dilation planet wasn't simply a super-heavy gravity planet. I wanted to see Mission of Gravity on the big screen!

Actually that reminds me a friend after the movie was like "Oh they must have been so pissed to find out someone else took the name Gravity"

There's no reason for it to have super heavy gravity. It's basically in free fall orbit around the black hole in the same way the ISS is in free fall around the earth. Both are in the gravity wel of another body but experience none of it's relative gravity on the surface. So even if the planet is orbiting something with a huge mass the gravity on the surface would be the same as something of the same size orbiting something with less mass.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I wish they had expanded on just what got civilization to its current state in the movie. From what I can gather, there were bombings of populations due to overpopulation, there used to be robots who probably worked as soldiers as well?

Also, why was the public education system denying the moon landing? I didn't get what the point of that was.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

There's no reason for it to have super heavy gravity. It's basically in free fall orbit around the black hole in the same way the ISS is in free fall around the earth. Both are in the gravity wel of another body but experience none of it's relative gravity on the surface. So even if the planet is orbiting something with a huge mass the gravity on the surface would be the same as something of the same size orbiting something with less mass.

I mean there was no reason for it to be a time-dilation planet either.

Wait though so you can have theoretical intense time-dilation without actually experiencing any gravitational effects? Like I was under the impression that you got time-dilation right near the event horizon of black holes, not extending out into larger orbits.

• Options
    Heir wrote: »
    I wish they had expanded on just what got civilization to its current state in the movie. From what I can gather, there were bombings of populations due to overpopulation, there used to be robots who probably worked as soldiers as well?

Also, why was the public education system denying the moon landing? I didn't get what the point of that was.

I think it was mostly to establish how far we are away from that era, that was the only logical reason. That and to add more time to the overall length of the movie which was plenty long enough? Honestly a LOT of the Earth politics are pretty poorly thought out and clash with the tonal qualities of the rest of the movie.

• Options

hide the decline, I guess. the teacher made a remark about replacing the old 'federal' books - perhaps the government in charge of the united states wasn't the same as the one we have today. I didn't mind the ambiguities of the situation - it wasn't entirely important to the story other than "Everything is falling apart, here is the long shot solution. GTFO Earth"

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

In one of the leaked earlier drafts of the script, a global famine when most food crops collapsed due to the blight basically gutted the world population and economy. Think Irish Potato Famine but for most critical food crops simultaneously worldwide.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Naphtali wrote: »

hide the decline, I guess. the teacher made a remark about replacing the old 'federal' books - perhaps the government in charge of the united states wasn't the same as the one we have today. I didn't mind the ambiguities of the situation - it wasn't entirely important to the story other than "Everything is falling apart, here is the long shot solution. GTFO Earth"

I figured, in conjunction with the shutdown of NASA, it was part of a propaganda effort to get people focused on Earth instead of space. It struck me as a dig at the same sort of silly people we have around today: "Why are we wasting billions on space telescopes when we still have homeless in the streets?!" Portray NASA and the space program as a corrupt failure and it becomes easier to squash those dreams.

madparrot on
  • Options

I mean there was no reason for it to be a time-dilation planet either.

Wait though so you can have theoretical intense time-dilation without actually experiencing any gravitational effects? Like I was under the impression that you got time-dilation right near the event horizon of black holes, not extending out into larger orbits.

The time dilation is a result of velocity iirc. The orbital velocity of black holes is just really high.