Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Supposedly market day comes every 24 hours..however, I started playing more than 24 hours ago and still haven't gotten my second market day card. Anyone else having that problem?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I don't know about that.

I'm referring to the day the game is released since physical copies are still a thing.

Well, he said this Tuesday, which is the demo release. Hence the confusion.

I missed 'this'.

If I were the type, however, I'd still probably avoid BW info from Monday on. Just to be sure.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is there a point to The Last Court? Is there a DA3 tie in?

No, and as far as I know, no.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The discussion wasn't ME, it was how reactions to Bioware's recent game endings may have influenced the ending of DA:I.

It's just that certain people *cough*Deadinred*cough* can't let anything like that pass without trying to enflame an argument, which, I'm sorry, is exactly what this comment:
    Me3 ending was great.

Let it go.

Was intended to do.

What. Are you shitting me? Come on dude.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Supposedly market day comes every 24 hours..however, I started playing more than 24 hours ago and still haven't gotten my second market day card. Anyone else having that problem?

I did get a 2nd market day, but it felt like it was a bit more than 24 hours after my first though. My fun bug was that I got stuck on a hunt for a wyvern and basically had to kill myself (reduce health to 0) to get out. On the plus side, I now have 22 trophies.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Could we just cut this off here?

You guys have to understand something. When it comes to ME3's ending, for better or worse...for or against...some of us just don't care. Like man, you guys had a good year of beating that dead horse and pouring it over into other threads.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Could we just cut this off here?

You guys have to understand something. When it comes to ME3's ending, for better or worse...for or against...some of us just don't care.

Agreed. I just found the inflamed comment a little bit weird but whatever, it's pretty dumb.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well, I read it and yeah. I mean your initial post was kind of bait-y.

I just wish others wouldn't take that as free reign to start up this tired discussion.

• Options
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

That was amazing.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Shit, I didn't realize that Iron Bull was Freddie Prinze, Jr. Dammit, now I gotta make room for him.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Well...I mean everything we're talking about is just theory from what we've seen of the trailers.

So we could be wrong about everything. That said...I'm actually feeling kind of confident about at least the base assumptions.
    Actually, wasn't there a leak of the achievements awhile back that seemed to confirm The Elder One's identity?

I've been avoiding it.

Well...no spoilers just answering your question.
    That list is actually different than the one they've shown us so far.

That said...it was pretty close to the current one in some parts. So Bioware could have changed it up just to throw people off the trail.
    One of the more valuable achievements is for defeating Corypheus, so it's very likely he's the Elder One. Given his incredibly powerful magic and being quite possibly the only person to ever physically enter the Fade and survive to the present day, it makes sense.
    Wasn't Corypheus just one of several mages that entered the Maker's city and fucked things up for everyone? Considering that those mages are at the center of the Chantry's dogma and one of the first things you see when you boot up Dragon Age I, it would be thematically appropriate to end the Chantry/Mage chapter with their reappearance.
    Yep, but he's the only one we know is still kicking.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Well...I mean everything we're talking about is just theory from what we've seen of the trailers.

So we could be wrong about everything. That said...I'm actually feeling kind of confident about at least the base assumptions.
    Actually, wasn't there a leak of the achievements awhile back that seemed to confirm The Elder One's identity?

I've been avoiding it.

That said...it was pretty close to the current one in some parts. So Bioware could have changed it up just to throw people off the trail.
    One of the more valuable achievements is for defeating Corypheus, so it's very likely he's the Elder One. Given his incredibly powerful magic and being quite possibly the only person to ever physically enter the Fade and survive to the present day, it makes sense.
    Wasn't Corypheus just one of several mages that entered the Maker's city and fucked things up for everyone? Considering that those mages are at the center of the Chantry's dogma and one of the first things you see when you boot up Dragon Age I, it would be thematically appropriate to end the Chantry/Mage chapter with their reappearance.
    They didnt fuck it up it though, in Legacy, the way Corypheus mentions it, it sounds like the city was already black when they got there, they just ended up bring it back to thedas.

• Options

I've been avoiding it.

They didnt fuck it up it though, in Legacy, the way Corypheus mentions it, it sounds like the city was already black when they got there, they just ended up bring it back to thedas.
    Also true. This is what led to my belief that the Maker was evil and the main villain of this game, but most of the thread turned that down. It's possible the Elder One is something older then the Maker and Andraste, which led to another theory about it being Fen'Harel, the Dread Wolf. But I think Flemeth is the Dread Wolf, so I doubt that this is her idea.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Man, come on. "It was like that when I got there" is not a good defense!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I've been avoiding it.

Also true. This is what led to my belief that the Maker was evil and the main villain of this game, but most of the thread turned that down. It's possible the Elder One is something older then the Maker and Andraste, which led to another theory about it being Fen'Harel, the Dread Wolf. But I think Flemeth is the Dread Wolf, so I doubt that this is her idea.
    i hope that maker is evil ends up being true, its a great theory.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    They've said they're never going to confirm/deny the existence of the Maker, so that won't be a thing.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They've said they're never going to confirm/deny the existence of the Maker, so that won't be a thing.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that claim. Eventually they'll be desperate for some third-act twist. Like the Maker is a darkspawn and is pissed at all these fucking smoothskins running around fucking things up.

• Options
    bioware say a lot of things.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I still say the chantry is full of nug crap about the golden city myth.
    I believe Corypheus when he said it was already fucked up when they got there. I also wouldn't be surprised if thats probably where the darkspawn came from and their origin has more to do with the fade and spirits/demons than shenanigans of man.

If he's in Inquisition, hopefully you can pry him for more information before he tries to roast you again.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Legacy stuff
    Having now finished Legacy (fantastic post-mortem btw), Corypheus felt like such a goddamn pushover. He wasn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination and his posturing was more comically aggravating than actually threatening. "YOU CANNOT AVOIIID MYYY FLAAAAAY-MESSSS" - *conjures a thin, slowly-rotating wall of fire*. By the end of it I felt like Hawke's "you've got to be kidding" line had more of a sarcastic tone than anything :P I can avoid your flames! I'm avoiding it already! I didn't have to do anything, even! I can continue to avoid it by slowly walking around this area at a leisurely pace!

I get that he was likely weakened previously having been sealed away for yonks, but as a villain I perceived him to be little more than a nuisance and I would be severely disappointed if he ended up being the central big bad to Inquisition.

The Legacy boss fight was actually pretty difficult for me, but mostly because of the terrible pathfinding for my party members. The actual tank & spank parts weren't too bad, but I generally was so worn down by the Legend of Zelda phases that I had to restart that fight over and over again.

Pretty much this. It's not conventionally difficult by any means and unlike some other fights health management shouldn't even really be a huge issue because the big bad himself doesn't even do that much damage. The stage hazards should have been a fun challenge, but godawful pathfinding turned it into an irritating chore where players had to babysit each party member in terms of just moving around.

I look forward to the day when party AI is smart enough to avoid the slowly-rotating walls of flame and/or to not run directly through a lake of burning oil to attack the one low-level mook on the far side of it.

More like when the party AI is smart enough to walk to a waypoint a couple meters ahead by taking the shortest route possible (a straight line), without taking the scenic route around a pillar off to one side for no reason, and without randomly exploring an interesting-looking indentation in the wall for a half-second because the pathfinding suddenly forgets that going through a wall in a straight line towards a waypoint is an inspired idea only hampered by the fact that there is a wall in the way

Just another of the things Inquisition has (roughly) fixed by allowing players to set multiple waypoints in order to mitigate any stupidity on behalf of the AI

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The final battle of Legacy was the least fun I had in the entire game. DA2 just wasn't deaigned for that kind of encounter. Even spending far too long kiting the Arishok was more fun.

• Options
    Still no sign of the Rift tree, but that imgur link had half the Knight Enchanter.
    v6t4NpR.jpg

I don't know that the new version of Force Magic is going to be able to compete with a lightsaber-wielding telefragger.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Got my eye on maining a party of mage Inquisitor, Varric (of course), Dorian and Cole but that kind of leaves me abit open defensively with Cole being my only melee and a non tanky class.

I could spec Varric to use daggers but that just seems soulcrushingly wrong.

If necromancers can summon meat shield pets, that might help.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fire Mine looks like a completely ludicrous combat opener.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I thought Wall of Ice sounded dramatically better than Wall of Fire, since one foreclosed a route and the other meant you had melee enemies in your face who were also on fire, but if I can game the panic effect so that they run back across the fire, sign me the fuck up.

Also I hope the "launch enemies into the air" effect of Fire Mine/Spike Trap is as comical as I imagine.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I thought Wall of Ice sounded dramatically better than Wall of Fire, since one foreclosed a route and the other meant you had melee enemies in your face who were also on fire, but if I can game the panic effect so that they run back across the fire, sign me the fuck up.

Also I hope the "launch enemies into the air" effect of Fire Mine/Spike Trap is as comical as I imagine.

Actually, what you want is melee tanks on one side of a choke point so enemies can't pass through, the enemies in the choke point with a Wall of Fire, and then a wall of ice behind the enemies so they can't leave.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Fire Mine looks like a completely ludicrous combat opener.

There's been a few videos that have shown Ice Mine. It's pretty cool, but it's misnamed. It should be called, "Ice Glyph" since it's much more like the glyphs from DA:O. It's a big circle that's plainly visible on the ground that triggers if an enemy steps into it. And by "big circle", I mean big. It looked like they were 10 to 12 ft across in game distance.

Interestingly, the AI seems to be able to use them pretty well. AI mages in the Templars vs. Mages fights in the Hinterlands were laying down lines of Ice Mines. It made me wonder if Dispel would work on them, and also if the various Fade tunneling skills could get you past them without setting them off.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

I thought Wall of Fire sounded better than Wall of Ice, assuming that at least sometimes, the AI actually tries to avoid running through the fire. With Wall of Fire, you can lay it across enemies to burn them initially, and then it might still have barrier effect for enemies on the other side of it.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Geth agrees with me, too! And if anyone knows AI.

For me if the pathfinding issues weren't there I would have actually enjoyed the boss fight. Level hazards aren't exactly something that they've implemented a whole lot or to a central degree (besides that one room with the ogres and traps everywhere ugh) and it certainly made it less boring than to run around a flat plain arena. They certainly did more to spruce up the boss fights than they did in Origins, though.
    But the pathfinding definitely ruins it.

Re: The Maker, Gaider said multiple times that everything is already detailed out in their lore bible as to what/who the Maker is exactly, and he's also said multiple times that they aren't going to reveal it. When the Lead Writer says something like that I'm pretty sure I'd take their word for it

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Whelp, looking like another game where it's pointless to be anything other than a mage.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Whelp, looking like another game where it's pointless to be anything other than a mage.

..why?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Mages, like Humans, are superior!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

Have you looked at the rogue tree? That thing is a goddamn beast. Crits for daaaaays. And Warrior is just ridiculously tanky, but in an active and fun way.

I mean, I do plan on going Inferno/Knight Enchanter, but only so I can abuse the shit out of Sera being a rogue. Panic a group of enemies and then Mercy Killing Puncturing Longshot to crit a bunch of them at once.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, I jave a whole bunch of my progression mapped out already. This is gonna be great

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I wish we could get a look at all the specialization trees. I need to know what necromancer does to decide which mage I'm gonna roll with. Also to figure out how make my two hander warrior maximum tank.

• Options
    Artificer seems super handy for archers, just as a means to funnel enemies into your line of fire or keep them away from you. Really curious about Tempest, as it's one of the few specializations we haven't seen or gotten to read anything about. It involves lighting yourself on fire and cutting people, so that already makes it sound incredible.

• Options
    Makerdamn, thats a big ass mage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGmT5wIbFE

The qunari should invent a magic school thats just centered around casting spells with their fists.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm still waffling between Mage and 2h Warrior for my character. Cassandra and Varric will be core team members on my crew (that is to say, switched out occasionally but there most of the time). The last slot will probably be on rotation.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    ...why?
    Have you seen Knight Enchanter? Spirit Blade alone is more powerful than anything else we've seen so far.

Like, look at Warrior: Two-Headed Weapon. Might Blow occupies roughly the same place as Spirit Blade, but is worse in every way. Less damage, no bonus damage versus defensive measures, costs more Stamina and has a 16 second cooldown. That's probably a one use per fight ability - maybe twice. Spirit Blade can be used every time you attack.

It's true that Knight Enchanter is a Specialization, so it's not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. So let's look at Chain Lightning, which occupies roughly the same spot as Mighty Blow in the Mage: Storm tree. Chain Lightning does more damage, hits multiple targets, and has half the cooldown. It's not unique, either, as Inferno has a similarly better ability and Winter has a power comparable to Might Blow plus a debuff.

This discussion has been closed.