Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Huh. Apparently in the 1500s, "sudden" saw much use as a noun as a surprise or abrupt event.

just, overnight in the 50s? well, that was a sudden

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Huh. Apparently in the 1500s, "sudden" saw much use as a noun as a surprise or abrupt event.

Is this the origin of the idiom "all of the/a sudden"? I've always wondered why it was a noun there.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Gooey - did you enable emoji and the japanese keyboard on your iphone 6 yet?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    one of my uni friends was roma

she was awesome

really wish i had my sexuality figured out back then because i imagine she'd have been the best

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

@Blameless Cleric

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGDGDJDBDJSJDBFUEVDJFBFH

*starts frothing at the mouth and collapses*

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This information is a sudden for me

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    water-added means you get less for your monies! my precious monies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i should eat better =/

this only helps if there's an equivalent alternative tho

for instance sometimes i can get crazy cheap boneless skinless chicken thighs (like well under 2 bucks a pound)

and they're water added which is a little bit of a rip but the only non-water added version we sell is like the free range hormonal free etc etc

and the base price is so much higher that the weight differential is shit on multiple times

yeah, it's not that much per lb. something like less than 5%.

though i love when chicken is advertised as hormone free. all chicken has to be according to the FDA, i'm p sure.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Casual wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGDGDJDBDJSJDBFUEVDJFBFH

*starts frothing at the mouth and collapses*

https://www.reddit.com/r/shestillsucking/

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I accidentally the entire sudden

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    I don't think the yellow cab fleet would have ever done something like the uber pickup system though. They would have no reason to improve their service that much.

exactly. the medallion system really created a host of perverse incentives and municipal governments tend to be super-unresponsive to citizen complaints, beholden to established interests, and just basically unable to reform themselves even if they wanted to.

there are things that municipalities or states could do to address the potential problems created by uber. requiring commercial licensure or insurance, for instance. but of course the established medallion holders just want uber shut down, not for the system to be reformed - their business model was built upon rent-seeking, protection from competition and exploitation of drivers.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I only eat chicken that is genetically modified so it doesn't even produce its own hormones.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pro tip - all nouns and verbs are freely interchangable. So are adjectives and pronouns, and adverbs and prepositions.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    doesn't hedgie have an axe to grind about basically every single thing in existence? i swear half the D&D threads are his

• Options
    I only eat chicken that is genetically modified so it doesn't even produce its own natural hormones.

I want chicken that is genetically modified so that it is beef but only contains good nutrients.

• Options
    I only eat chicken that is genetically modified so it doesn't even produce its own natural hormones.

heh as i was typing i was thinking oh but it has them so i mean like added and i actually maybe mean antibiotics but i ain't got any chicken here and i ain't googlin' this chicken nonsense and

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    But, idk. Most of my job is interacting with bloated private companies that do everything poorly because they have no reason not to, and if we succeed I will cackle at their eventual obedience to my grand, feverish dream of efficiency

I think we genuinely are making things better for doctors who treat injured workers using the power of tech companies

So idk. I think about it a lot.

• Options
    doesn't hedgie have an axe to grind about basically every single thing in existence? i swear half the D&D threads are his

He has so many issues that we have even ended up on the same side on some of them!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

He's morphed into a slightly more eloquent version of Thanatos over the past year or so. Dunno why, he used to be fairly reasonable.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2014

mostly he hates conservatives/republicans and also hates the tech industry. you could probably build his ideology from those two axioms.

every once in a while he and i line up on something and it's always kind of a pleasant surprise

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Is this the origin of the idiom "all of the/a sudden"? I've always wondered why it was a noun there.

That's what I'm reading up on.

It was first an adjective from Old French and Latin, in the 1300s, and then became adverbial in the 1400s

Then it was used as a noun and " upon the sodaine" or "of a sodaine" saw some use. First the definite article and then the indefinite article, though there was overlap in the late 1500s.

The prepositional phrases introducing the nominal sudden varied greatly and only seem to have calcified into "all of a sudden" recently. And now "all of the sudden" is making a comeback, despite being "incorrect."

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I want chicken that is genetically modified so that it is beef but only contains good nutrients.

I want humans that are generically modified to taste like chickenbeef.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Last night I did the following:

thinnish-slice a Honeycrisp apple
    toss in butter and espresso balsamic vinegar and a bit of salt, saute until the edges are browning, set aside.
    In the pan, add olive oil and a bunch of chicken breasts (or strips, which is what I did)

add more salt, black pepper. Brown them on medium.

flip, reduce heat to medium. Add another dash of the espresso balsamic

add a bunch of diced green onions

as they are wilting, add the apples back to the pan and toss everything.

Serve with grated gruyere cheese over the top and a Caesar salad

it was SO GOOD.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

mostly he hates conservatives/republicans and also hates the tech industry. you could probably build his ideology from those two axioms.

interesting. so he is the exact opposite of those red pillers.

the enemy of my enemy is my.... hmmmmm...

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    @Gooey - did you enable emoji and the japanese keyboard on your iphone 6 yet?

kaaaa~

<(¬_¬<)

meeeee~

o<(¬_¬<)

haaaaaa~

0<(¬_¬<)

meeeee~

O<(¬_¬<)

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

(>0o0)>==============O

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pro tip - all nouns and verbs are freely interchangable. So are adjectives and pronouns, and adverbs and prepositions.

Communication is a myth.

• Options

enemy-in-law

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I don't think the yellow cab fleet would have ever done something like the uber pickup system though. They would have no reason to improve their service that much.

the awesome thing about monopolies is that you're not forced to evolve and you can do whatever you want if your service is a necessity

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ie "all of a sudden" is a quaint and old fashioned version of "in a wholly sudden fashion"

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    AHHHHHHHHHHh

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

toss in butter and espresso balsamic vinegar and a bit of salt, saute until the edges are browning, set aside.
    In the pan, add olive oil and a bunch of chicken breasts (or strips, which is what I did)

it was SO GOOD.

half of these words arent even real words

"gruyere"?

"saute"?

"salad"?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Communication is a myth.

yeah, just ask @skippydumptruck‌

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

I want humans that are generically modified to taste like chickenbeef.

@Greeper

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

enemy-in-law

...I have one of those O.o

• Options
    @Casual‌

Christmas come early for you

Clover has an SA80

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

it was SO GOOD.

"gruyere"?

"saute"?

"salad"?

I would like to agree this, but gruyere is delicious

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    all i want for christmas is the ability to react to my own posts

actually no wait all i want for christmas is the ability to ban one person at my choosing

All I want for Christmas is the ability to chew solid foods again. Because I really miss them. :cry:I've been craving chicken so much.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

it was SO GOOD.

"gruyere"?

"saute"?

"salad"?

Not in Japanese!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I still text shaz random emoji messages from time to time

This discussion has been closed.