Options

hot dog [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I like how Arrow started out with him basically just killing everyone who got in his way and he didn't really turn into a hero until season 2

i think it's dumb/contrived that he stopped killing people

especially since diggle is killing people all over the place because he is using guns all the time?

it's not like being a vigilante killer is that much worse than being a hyperviolent vigilante who brutalizes and tortures criminals

but he still shoots people all the time so really it's fine

I think he insists on it a bit too much, but I mean
    he was going to wipe out Slade's entire army in a cave in

so he's still willing to kill if necessary

which is a thing I like about Captain America

override367 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    a big part of Arrow is the theme of escalation

like, in the beginning of the show, he's dealing with mobsters and serial killers and nobody really has like, weird nicknames and he doesn't even called himself the Arrow or anything else for that matter

and it takes a while for some honest to god costumed villains to show up, and even the first few are more like, lunatics who happen to wear something that sorta kinda resembles a costume if you squint?

then in season 2 there's actual honest to god supervillains with superpowers and shit and it's all fucking crazytown since

I feel like that's a part that doesn't quite completely work for me.

There's a few too many people running around with comically medieval weaponry now.

The show is certainly getting a bit pulpier as it goes.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I like how Arrow started out with him basically just killing everyone who got in his way and he didn't really turn into a hero until season 2

edit: another great thing is the Flash Arrow crossover

one of the best moments of either series is when Ollie is like MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAAAAD and the Flash is like "so fucking what that doesn't justify anything you do"

no the best moment of either series is when the Flash appears out of nowhere and Diggle throws his french fries into the air in shock and stares at him for a good eight seconds and then says "you're fast" like a concussed eight-year-old.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

especially since diggle is killing people all over the place because he is using guns all the time?

it's not like being a vigilante killer is that much worse than being a hyperviolent vigilante who brutalizes and tortures criminals

i disagree

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Demi Lovato is weird. Sometimes she sucks, and sometimes she doesn't.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i found it refreshing to have a show where the protagonist fucking murders people

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh god I'm older than Batman.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    So

this is now news to me

this is exciting news to me

apparently if an employer makes me a written job offer and I accept the offer in writing

what this actually means is "call me back the next morning and make me a significantly shittier offer"

it does not, in fact, mean that we have an agreement about my employment

This is new and exciting news

I am newly excited.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Batman, or Batman Beyond batman?

• Options

i disagree

I like the idea of the no-kill thing and I like that the show in S1 played off the violence he caused by basically having people ask him several times "What makes you not a fucking serial killer?". But at the same time, it gets a bit silly.

• Options

one of the best moments of either series is when Ollie is like MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAAAAD and the Flash is like "so fucking what that doesn't justify anything you do"

no the best moment of either series is when the Flash appears out of nowhere and Diggle throws his french fries into the air in shock and stares at him for a good eight seconds and then says "you're fast" like a concussed eight-year-old.

diggle's reaction to the Flash is the best fucking shit

just

a mixture of shock and horror

his world is upside down now

he does not like this world

where men who exist that can do these things

no sir he does not care for this world at all

• Options

i disagree

the whole superhero "i don't kill people" shtick really only works for superheroes who are so exceptionally powerful that it's a matter of discipline more than practicality

for a street level guy who's actually handicapping himself by using a silly outdated weapon it just doesn't make sense

i think they could have gone there by a different route and had it be more convincing, but the motivation they gave him for it was pretty bleh (that character/relationship was just awful though, that's part of it)

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So

this is now news to me

apparently if an employer makes me a written job offer and I accept the offer in writing

what this actually means is "call me back the next morning and make me a significantly shittier offer"

I am newly excited.

Do not take that job.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Well I mean, the show didn't just say "I can't start killing because it'll get too easy for a person like me"

it shows us that

Ollie straight up murders henchmen by the score without giving it a thought

it takes other people to tell him he's kind of a psychopath

override367 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

this is a weird position to take!

"all violence is equally awful so fuck it go nuts who cares kill everything"

• Options
    So

this is now news to me

I am newly excited.

What.

Fuck that person.

So sorry for your situation :(

• Options

i disagree

the whole superhero "i don't kill people" shtick really only works for superheroes who are so exceptionally powerful that it's a matter of discipline more than practicality

for a street level guy who's actually handicapping himself by using a silly outdated weapon it just doesn't make sense

i think they could have gone there by a different route and had it be more convincing, but the motivation they gave him for it was pretty bleh (that character/relationship was just awful though, that's part of it)

The motivation is the best part of it. Like with the Nolan Batmans that are clearly a huge inspiration to the show, they don't just set it in stone at the start. They create it. They establish the motivation behind it and explain it.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

Batman, or Batman Beyond batman?

I am Beyond Batman.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

that's not my position

my position is that he is taking a weirdly arbitrary moral position

any logic that suggests killing his opponents is wrong will necessarily lead to the conclusion that shooting literally hundreds of people with arrows is pretty fuckin' awful too

and things like
    not killng Merlyn when he had the chance? come onnnnnn

i'd like to see a superhero who's a utilitarian for once

• Options
    So

this is now news to me

I am newly excited.

I'm sure they made sure to not sign anything but that's so damned close to a broken contract that they're not remotely trustworthy.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

i disagree

The motivation is the best part of it. Like with the Nolan Batmans that are clearly a huge inspiration to the show, they don't just set it in stone at the start. They create it. They establish the motivation behind it and explain it.

So it's like Nolan's Batmans? I'm now less interested.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    So

this is now news to me

I am newly excited.

I'm sure they made sure to not sign anything but that's so damned close to a broken contract that they're not remotely trustworthy.

Right, I agree. I'm debating whether I even want to leave the original offer open.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

like, in the beginning of the show, he's dealing with mobsters and serial killers and nobody really has like, weird nicknames and he doesn't even called himself the Arrow or anything else for that matter

and it takes a while for some honest to god costumed villains to show up, and even the first few are more like, lunatics who happen to wear something that sorta kinda resembles a costume if you squint?

then in season 2 there's actual honest to god supervillains with superpowers and shit and it's all fucking crazytown since

There's a few too many people running around with comically medieval weaponry now.

so

funny thing

a compound bow is actually a pretty practical weapon for an assassin

they're remarkably accurate to a decent range with sufficient training, and they're dramatically more silent than even the most suppressed gun imaginable

and arrows are actually exceptionally lethal in real life, we kinda used them as a weapon of hunting and war for a good reason

with modern design techniques you can actually design some incredibly fucking brutal arrowheads and arrows made out of some pretty messed up materials

and if you were super fancy in some kind of comic book world, hell, make trick arrows with fancy payloads

when you absolutely positively have to make that dude dead as fuck

so for example when Komodo shows up and they're like "How many professional assassins use bows?" and Felicity is like "Uh there's like over 30 dudes who are famous for that"

it's actually really not that absurd, if you're in a world where that kind of professional assassins are an actual thing

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

i disagree

it's really not like Nolan's batmen.

• Options

diggle's reaction to the Flash is the best fucking shit

just

a mixture of shock and horror

his world is upside down now

he does not like this world

where men who exist that can do these things

no sir he does not care for this world at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PefYLWwhs

• Options
    I cannot overstate my dislike for the Christan Baleful Batman trilogy.

• Options
    I feel like if a guy using a bow against people with guns is too much for your suspension of disbelief, comic book shows probably aren't for you

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I guess I both disagree on like a fundamental conceptual level but also I really liked that character in Arrow (he grew on me, in the manner of mold, perhaps, but still...) and I like that this has been included as a step in Oliver's journey instead of him just showing up in episode 1 with a fully formed set of comic book ideals

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

i disagree

it's really not like Nolan's batmen.

I'm back to being interested again. Likening something to the Nolan Batmen is a huge turnoff for me.

• Options
    I feel like an assassin who wanted an accurate, long-ranged, silent weapon would still not use a bow? they'd use a crossbow or a rifle with some quieter alternative for delivering the payload.

not that bows aren't effective.

oh my god SPEAKING OF WHICH

general-view-of-munster-players-trying-their-hand-at-archery-282013-630x463.jpg

ARCHERY DODGEBALL IS A THING THAT EXISTS

there's one in toronto

• Options
    I'm at the very end of Breaking Bad now. I think it's going to take me weeks to watch the last 7 episodes...so uncomfortable.

• Options
    drez doesn't wear hockey pads

• Options
    sure a crossbow is definitely more effective

but I mean he's the arrow not the bolt

• Options

so

funny thing

a compound bow is actually a pretty practical weapon for an assassin

they're remarkably accurate to a decent range with sufficient training, and they're dramatically more silent than even the most suppressed gun imaginable

and arrows are actually exceptionally lethal in real life, we kinda used them as a weapon of hunting and war for a good reason

with modern design techniques you can actually design some incredibly fucking brutal arrowheads and arrows made out of some pretty messed up materials

and if you were super fancy in some kind of comic book world, hell, make trick arrows with fancy payloads

when you absolutely positively have to make that dude dead as fuck

so for example when Komodo shows up and they're like "How many professional assassins use bows?" and Felicity is like "Uh there's like over 30 dudes who are famous for that"

it's actually really not that absurd, if you're in a world where that kind of professional assassins are an actual thing

It's not the bow that bothers me that much.* It's all the other shit. Like an entire order of assassins that apparently hasn't heard of a gun (at least so far as I've seen up to about S2E17) but uses like swords and shit instead.

*Especially in S1 they do a good job of both showing why he uses a bow and how he uses it to his advantage. As his fighting style changes it gets a bit sillier as he does alot more standing around in the open and running into fist-punching range.

• Options
    i don't know what modern crossbows are like but unless there's some crazy modern chu-ko-nu i'd imagine a bow would be more practical

guns work but aren't quiet if we are applying real life logic

• Options

that would actually be a solid name

the Quarrel

hahaha amazing

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    superheroes bend over backwards to not kill people because then they can have a revolving cast of characters who go to jail then escape and it broadens the potential audience by having people get politely knocked out rather than killed

this is because the guys who 'don't kill' could never actually be 100% non lethal they would for sure be accidentally killing people left and right

it tends to be really awkward and strikes me as archaic limitation of when comic books couldn't tell complicated stories with violence. there's a happy medium between grimdark and boyscout

• Options

that would actually be a solid name

the Quarrel

hahaha amazing

"Quiver"

Though that sounds more like a porn name.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

that's not my position

my position is that he is taking a weirdly arbitrary moral position

any logic that suggests killing his opponents is wrong will necessarily lead to the conclusion that shooting literally hundreds of people with arrows is pretty fuckin' awful too

and things like
    not killng Merlyn when he had the chance? come onnnnnn

i'd like to see a superhero who's a utilitarian for once

he kills people when he has to, though

he does make utilitarian, absolutely must kill people choices
    he greased the first Count Vertigo not shortly after his vow not to kill because there was literally no other option to save Felicity's life

he's killed since then when he's had to, like, there was no option to not kill so he did what he had to

when he's had the option to not kill, he's opted not to

which is what superheroes do

if they can opt not to kill

they opt not to

not killing Merlyn specifically is this super complicated, really conflicted character choice that is wrapped up in a bunch of shit

like how Merlyn is Thea's father, like how Malcolm has been a friend of his family for basically his entire life

so no, he's not going to just cold blood grease Merlyn no matter how many chances he gets to do so

especially since the person who called him out on how he was going down the path of wantonly, cold-bloodedly murdering people was Malcolm's son

This discussion has been closed.