Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Well, I mean I'm glad you haven't had issues with them!

But in general their games, at best, have a sort of constant choppiness and weird little framerate glitches along those lines. If I remember right, wasn't there some sort of massive save corruption bug in TWD originally? And when I played TWD S1 on Vita it was, at times, only barely on this side of unplayable because of how bad it got.

It's kind of mind-boggling and if TWD S1 hadn't been such a damn success, I have a hard time imagining any of their other games selling the way they do with the exact same warts in the engine.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    So like Walking Dead?

Well, no. In The Walking Dead, you have a visible reticule that you move around with the right stick. Life is Strange only has character movement, with prompts that come up when 1) you get near something and 2) the camera is pretty much pointing straight at it. Look at some video of the game and you'll see exactly how it works.

Mechanics aside, it's a point and click adventure game in spirit.

Yeah. When I play Telltale games, I always find the gameplay fairly janky, it's just there to get me to the next cutscene. Life is Strange doesn't have any of that jank, it controls like you'd expect it to and has the all-important run button as well.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Any current deals on a PS3-compatible HDD?

Last time I upgraded was for a 500GB hard drive, but at this point I'm going to need at least 1TB or 2 (if it can read up to 2TB).

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Any current deals on a PS3-compatible HDD?

Last time I upgraded was for a 500GB hard drive, but at this point I'm going to need at least 1TB or 2 (if it can read up to 2TB).

Is it a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive? Then it's compatible.

That's all there is to it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I think there were a few 2.5" drives that were just a bit too thick for the older PS3s, not sure about newer ones. I'm certain that isn't as big a problem as it was then, but I remember a few people complaining about that.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I think there were a few 2.5" drives that were just a bit too thick for the older PS3s, not sure about newer ones. I'm certain that isn't as big a problem as it was then, but I remember a few people complaining about that.

If they're too thick, then they're not the standard* 2.5" drives. Standard laptop drives are 9.5mm thick. If one's thicker, it'll normally come with a warning on the packaging or the sales information if buying it from a website. And for the record, the PS4's hard drive dock accepts the same size.

There is however another option, but not as nice looking. You can run a SATA cable w/ a converter from the PS3 or PS4's hard drive slot to an external hard drive. If you really want more storage, you can do this and run it to a external RAID 0 enclosure with multiple HDD drives in it.

• Options

If they're too thick, then they're not the standard* 2.5" drives. Standard laptop drives are 9.5mm thick. If one's thicker, it'll normally come with a warning on the packaging or the sales information if buying it from a website. And for the record, the PS4's hard drive dock accepts the same size.

There is however another option, but not as nice looking. You can run a SATA cable w/ a converter from the PS3 or PS4's hard drive slot to an external hard drive. If you really want more storage, you can do this and run it to a external RAID 0 enclosure with multiple HDD drives in it.

15mm drives are far from uncommon and I've never seen a warning label on one of them (though I guess I haven't specifically looked for one). It's definitely something to be aware of when looking for a new drive.

The only other thing I'd recommend is if it comes down to a choice between WD/HGST (same company) and Seagate, go with WD/HGST. I don't know about their 2.5" drives but Seagate have been proven to have VERY unreliable 3.5" drives, so I'm wary of them.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So, any 9.5mm 2.5" drive, but preferably WD/HGST branded.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I do local computer repair part time and I've probably seen just as many WD drives fail as Seagate. In fact I'm trying to recover from a WD one now.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I just look up reviews of individual drives instead of brand names.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Or if you want your PS3 to be awesome, you could splurge and get an SSD. Doesn't help much when it comes to disc games, but downloaded games will load stupid fast.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I do local computer repair part time and I've probably seen just as many WD drives fail as Seagate. In fact I'm trying to recover from a WD one now.

BaBeyLW.jpg

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

• Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

Or if you want your PS3 to be awesome, you could splurge and get an SSD. Doesn't help much when it comes to disc games, but downloaded games will load stupid fast.

Every last article I've ever read said that an SSD made no difference for whatever, because the OS is not set to take advantage of it.
    And anyways, they're still more expensive per GB than HDDs, and space is very useful on PS3s.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Every last article I've ever read said that an SSD made no difference for whatever, because the OS is not set to take advantage of it.
    And anyways, they're still more expensive per GB than HDDs, and space is very useful on PS3s.
    It definitely makes a difference on some games, but not all games (from personal experience). It cuts load times in Skyrim/Fallout games, for example. The greatest benefit is for Gran Turismo 6. They don't go "lightning fast", though. At most, you are saving a dozen seconds at best.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

It definitely makes a difference on some games, but not all games (from personal experience). It cuts load times in Skyrim/Fallout games, for example. The greatest benefit is for Gran Turismo 6. They don't go "lightning fast", though. At most, you are saving a dozen seconds at best.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

The PS4 makes a lot better use of SSDs than the PS3. It's still limited compared to PC's, because Sony saved some money going with an older SATA version (as did Microsoft), but you can tell the difference in most games. A good SSHD is probably the smartest choice though, unless you're loaded.

• Options
    I can't even find confirmation on whether the PS3 can read up to 2TB or only up to 1TB.

You would think there would be a clear answer on that, but all I'm getting are wildly varying reports.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    PSN seems to be having more outages, even though their site says it's up. Anybody else having problems?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    PSN seems to be having more outages, even though their site says it's up. Anybody else having problems?

I cant get online but I assumed thay was due to the blizzard outside.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    No problems for me. Just got Life is Strange from the psn, and it downloaded super fast.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

I cant get online but I assumed thay was due to the blizzard outside.

Same here, I cannot log in to PSN so no Destiny for me :(

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Might be an NA thing...

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Hey, I actually remembered The Drop this week.
    New PlayStation Games This Week

Apotheon
    PS4 — Digital
    The Gods of Olympus have abandoned humanity, leaving you to perish without their benevolence. Take up arms against the Gods, climb Mount Olympus, and take their divine powers for yourself to ensure mankind’s survival! Apotheon is a fast and brutal 2D action game with a striking art style and heroic narrative based on Ancient Greek Mythology.

Criminal Girls: Invite Only
    Vita — Digital, Retail
    Welcome to Hell! As a Program Instructor, it’s your job to rehabilitate a special group of criminal girls so they can atone for their sins and return to the mortal world. Motivate the girls, defeat Convicts, and reach the top of the Hell Spire! Can you coach these girls to work together and make it to the very top?

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ep. 2: The Lost Lords
    PS4, PS3 — Digital
    Episode two of a six part episodic game series set in the world of HBO’s groundbreaking TV show. Dive into a realm of deadly politics, searing hot romances, loyalty, betrayal, and a healthy dose of magic.

Kick & Fennick
    Vita — Digital
    Kick & Fennick is a smooth and easygoing platform adventure about Kick, a little boy with a very big gun, and a small, flying robot named Fennick. Dare great heights, and time your jumps just right to accomplish incredible feats.

King Oddball
    PS3 — Digital (Three-Way Cross Buy)
    End the world with boulders! The King swings a boulder back and forth with his tongue and you get to release it by pressing a button. Time the release accurately and crush as many targets as possible with each boulder. Simple but addictive! Extra boulders are awarded for crushing three or more targets with a single throw.

Reel Fishing: Master’s Challenge
    Vita — Digital
    Natsume’s best-selling Reel Fishing series comes ashore in the biggest Reel Fishing game yet, Reel Fishing: Master’s Challenge! For a reason you can’t quite explain, you’ve been drawn back to the fishing lodge you used to visit as a kid with your dad. Once the novice watching your father fish, can you now take on the challenges put forth by your father, and become the Fishing Master yourself?

Risk
    PS4 — Digital
    Modern combat meets Risk — the classic game of global domination. Risk steps into the near future with modern armies. Using the 2010 rules as standard, Risk offers an exciting strategic experience. Direct the war from your high-tech control room, fighting on the classic map layout on 3D Deploy tanks, planes, and infantry.

SpongeBob HeroPants
    Vita — Digital
    Only a hero would dare to enter the world of SpongeBob’s cotton candy and rainbow filled mind! Play as fan-favorite characters in regular form or as heroes from the movie! You can even play as Plankton! Weave your way through obstacles and puzzles in popular settings from the movie, including Bikini Bottom!

World Hunter
    PS3 — Digital
    Experience the realism of international hunting with World Hunter. Pursue Bighorn Sheep, Whitetail Deer, doves and coyotes. Hunt Winter or Fall seasons in the rugged rocky mountains of New Mexico, the Canadian Rockies, and the exquisite Cordoba region of Argentina.

Demos and Betas

Aeternoblade — Vita Demo
    Battlefield Hardline — PS4, PS3 Beta
    King Oddball — PS3 Trial

It's kind of a small week. Apotheon is part of the new PS+ lineup and will be so as soon as it goes onto the store. With that art style, it looks interesting, if nothing else. Game of Thrones sees Episode 2 of that series go up for PS4 and PS3 as well. Criminal Girls: Invite Only will be out for Vita, but I don't know about anything about it so I can't say too much. Otherwise, you're more likely to play what you've got this week rather than pick up something new.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I can't even find confirmation on whether the PS3 can read up to 2TB or only up to 1TB.

You would think there would be a clear answer on that, but all I'm getting are wildly varying reports.

Of course it can read a 2TB drive.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    You have a link that confirms that? I even made a NeoGAF thread and I still can't get a solid confirmation; some say it only reads as much as 1.5TB, others says just 1TB.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    As far as I remember, the issue is not storage space as much as it is physical size. A 1TB drive is around 9cm deep, while 2TB drives are a bit bigger, so they won't fit in the PS3 chassis.

This was a year ago when I was looking though, so I have no idea if that is still the case.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    As far as I remember, the issue is not storage space as much as it is physical size. A 1TB drive is around 9cm deep, while 2TB drives are a bit bigger, so they won't fit in the PS3 chassis.

This was a year ago when I was looking though, so I have no idea if that is still the case.

It was largely the case but is not the case anymore. You can get a 2TB drive with the PS3/PS4's size dimensions for ~$100-115. Only 5400rpm though, but it's not like you're losing speed as that's the speed the default drives come.

And @Professor Snugglesworth, you can hook PS3 and PS4's up to external Raid 0 configured hard drive enclosures with cables and adapters that can have 8TB+ of storage easily. It's not as pretty, but it's possible. It's never been the TB size of the hard drives, but the physical dimensions of them.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Make .hack/G.U. a Classic, already.

• Options
    So Sony just sold SOE to an investment firm, renaming them to Daybreak Game Company in the transition. It's a bit of a surprise but in hindsight, probably not too unexpected. Sony's not in the business of selling Windows or PC's (especially now that they've sold off the Vaio division) and SOE's efforts on PlayStation have always been a bit of a joke. I mean, they announced the PS4 version of Planetside 2, what, 2 years ago? And we still have no idea when it's coming out. Another nine months and the PC version will have been out for three years already.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I'd probably not buy one that is external. You used to be able to take them out of the enclosures, but the last I heard some companies are physically soldering the USB conversion circuit in to the SATA board.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I got one of these

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8681727&CatId=4227

to take apart and put into my PS4. It came apart fairly easily(took about 15-20 minutes, as I was trying to get it apart intact to reuse the enclosure with the original hard drive from my PS4, so if you don't care about putting it back together you can get it apart faster). No screws, or anything soldered on to it. Just a bit of glue on the cover, which came loose pretty nicely.

BTW, I know you said PS3, but if it fits the PS4 it will fit the PS3.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    I got one of these

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8681727&CatId=4227

to take apart and put into my PS4. It came apart fairly easily(took about 15-20 minutes, as I was trying to get it apart intact to reuse the enclosure with the original hard drive from my PS4, so if you don't care about putting it back together you can get it apart faster). No screws, or anything soldered on to it. Just a bit of glue on the cover, which came loose pretty nicely.

BTW, I know you said PS3, but if it fits the PS4 it will fit the PS3.
    Yeah, I just mean to say it is a bit of a crapshoot. I know for sure one of the companies is doing that with the circuit board (I think it was WD).

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Man, this month is better, but Japan's PS+ is still killing it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/03/senran-kagura-shinovi-versus-akibas-trip-ps4-ps-plus-games-japan/

Akiba's Trip, Senran Kagura, EX Troopers

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'd probably not buy one that is external. You used to be able to take them out of the enclosures, but the last I heard some companies are physically soldering the USB conversion circuit in to the SATA board.

Boo.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Boo.

Some WD drives do indeed do this, the one I've repaired did and I've seen another fairly recently (again, I think it was WD).

I'm sure other manufacturers probably do it too, I've just seen it with WD. So if you're buying an external, make sure someone else on the internet has taken it apart first!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    it's not like it's hard to buy internal HDDs

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it's not like it's hard to buy internal HDDs

True...but apparently the price/GB is a little better if you buy an external and rip out the drive. Still, personally, for my money, I'd rather get a regular ol' internal HDD (just got a 1TB Seagate for my PS4 and was a little surprised to find out that the stock drive in the PS4 is the 500GB little brother of what I got as an upgrade).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    EX Troopers won't be localised for hilarious reasons.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What is EX Troopers?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Is a Japanese spin off of the Lost Planet series. When they made it, they hard coded the text directly to the art.

So you can't localize it without redoing all of the art (is my understanding).