Options

[chat] with Tay Sway

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Personally, I don't believe federal politics should even be local, so I would be happy to see people assigned to districts with a random number generator. Or better yet, to just hold house elections at the state level, like the senate. I think the idea of your congressman going to our federal government to argue for a sweet heart deal for his home town seems off. Better to let the federal government deal with big pictures and make broad allocations which can be divied up at the state level while the federal government focuses on bigger issues.

Unfortunately, as the 20th century kind of proved, everything at some point becomes a "bigger issue" that necessitates the federal government becoming involved. There's just a lot of argument about where that line between "small issue" and "bigger issue" should be drawn.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    One of my favorite Tony Martin Black Sabbath tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWF0rFEdpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    good morning le buttes

I do not feel great so I have called in sick to work

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Can we just have an algorithm redistrict with the intent of representative government based on census data? It seems 100% insane to allow people to manually participate in this process. I mean, come the fuck on, America!

I suggested something similar to this the last time it came up and fairly liberal posters shouted me down because it would get rid of majority minority districts and black/latino/jewish/etc representation.

Which led me to ask "what is more important: that the will of the people is more accurately reflected independent of race/gender/creed, or that we have a number of minority representatives at the expense of ceding control of the house to whomever drew the lines last?"

This debate has happened.

i remember that. i cringed so hard.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    a
    Can we just have an algorithm redistrict with the intent of representative government based on census data? It seems 100% insane to allow people to manually participate in this process. I mean, come the fuck on, America!

I suggested something similar to this the last time it came up and fairly liberal posters shouted me down because it would get rid of majority minority districts and black/latino/jewish/etc representation.

Which led me to ask "what is more important: that the will of the people is more accurately reflected independent of race/gender/creed, or that we have a number of minority representatives at the expense of ceding control of the house to whomever drew the lines last?"

ed: post unclear, going back to work

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Personally, I don't believe federal politics should even be local, so I would be happy to see people assigned to districts with a random number generator. Or better yet, to just hold house elections at the state level, like the senate. I think the idea of your congressman going to our federal government to argue for a sweet heart deal for his home town seems off. Better to let the federal government deal with big pictures and make broad allocations which can be divied up at the state level while the federal government focuses on bigger issues.

I don't think we need two Senates. Local representation at the national level is important to the Democratic process.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    As a general rule, I've observed that people's attitude to proportional representation depends strongly on whether they consider it important that your opinions and attitudes are represented generally, or whether there should be a particular person that represents you

• Options
    good morning le buttes

what does this even mean for you?!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    a

at that point why not just get rid of the house entirely

nah, because there needs to be a body where states get appropriate representation based on their population.

California and North Dakota both having 2 votes in the only legislative body would be crazy dumb.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    idk you guys

I think in light of the defense that many on the left vigorously put forward (and still cling to) for Dan Rather after he used forged documents to try and sway a Presidential race in the closing days of the contest, there is much to atone for and trying to rip O'Reilly a new one for one sentence in a book, devoid of context and reasonably argued as sensible or at least understandable, smacks very much of partisan targeting rather than a concern over journalistic integrity.

I think the root of all of this is the very quick and severe treatment NBC served to Williams over what amounts to very little, compared to several corroborated incidents where O'Reilly used parsed language or possibly lied outright to establish his credibility as an entrenched reporter that have effectively been completely ignored by Fox News.

But, like I said, I don't really even care, because I don't consider O'Reilly or anything Fox does to be "journalism."

• Options
    good morning le buttes

what does this even mean for you?!

I do not have to answer emails or pretend to work!

I can sip my coffee in blissful peace and work on my last assignment for the week : )

• Options
    dancing-math.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    North Dakota shouldn't get any votes! Their opinions matter 0%. Give all North Dakota's votes of South Dakota.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    If you want algorithmic districting then you also need multimember districts or else it just becomes a tyranny of the majority

SCOTUS always brings this out as a thing in electoral cases

and no, spool, it's not racist, it just has effects that are extremely unfavorable towards minorities in small areas

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    North Dakota shouldn't get any votes! Their opinions matter 0%. Give all North Dakota's votes of South Dakota.

North Dakota matters so little that the Fargo TV show takes place in Minnesota!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Unfortunately, as the 20th century kind of proved, everything at some point becomes a "bigger issue" that necessitates the federal government becoming involved. There's just a lot of argument about where that line between "small issue" and "bigger issue" should be drawn.

I don't think it's that hard. If the issue isn't important enough for the state senators to take it up, I think it is properly characterized as a state level issue.

• Options

Massachusetts and Connecticut votes really should just be given to New York. Rhode Island's, Vermont's, and new Hampshire's to Maine. New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland's to Pennsylvania...

This works out!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am a fan of there being a system where the state with the lowest population every ten years sets the stage for what is "one" representative, and then any state with that population +1 gets 2, any state with that population*2+1 gets 3, so on and so forth.

Let the size of the body flex in size every decade. And if there is an even number, give that seat to the state with the largest population that has not had that bonus seat the last time it came up.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    If you want algorithmic districting then you also need multimember districts or else it just becomes a tyranny of the majority

SCOTUS always brings this out as a thing in electoral cases

and no, spool, it's not racist, it just has effects that are extremely unfavorable towards minorities in small areas

The idea of "minority" districts feels wrong from a principled stance, even though I can understand the practical rational for them.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I don't think it's that hard. If the issue isn't important enough for the state senators to take it up, I think it is properly characterized as a state level issue.

For the longest time, state senators didn't think whites only restaurants were important enough to address.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Turns out whats wrong with my car is a bad battery cable

Yay!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Let's China North Dakota. Tell them they aren't a state anymore, they are part of South Dakota and they can protest and get mad but we just maintain our version of the truth until they give up.

• Options
    in the south we used to force local governments to adhere to shit that wouldn't stuff black voters into a single district or black voters all strewn about in 90%-white nabes because both are really hamfisted efforts at vote dilution

algorithmic redistricting is what some people want to happen simply because it would mean that the majority wouldn't even have to pretend to give a single shit anymore in those places where minorities most desperately need representation

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TIL: Powerpoint slides can be copied and pasted into Word documents.

• Options

Massachusetts and Connecticut votes really should just be given to New York. Rhode Island's, Vermont's, and new Hampshire's to Maine. New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland's to Pennsylvania...

This works out!

Not Massachusetts, but the Boston metro area ALONE has 6x more people than the entire state of north dakota.

• Options

This works out!

well but there are a lot more people in mass than in n dakota

like 9 times as many

• Options
    I think the house is already too large to be functional. Individual representatives actually matter very little. Its nothing but coalitions. But then I would ideally get rid of the states altogether and only have a large federal government with a small number of regionally elected senators as the sole congressional body, and all other issues handled by regional administrative boards and local government.

• Options
    In an ideal world none of this would be necessary but we also fought a war over whether or not we could own other people or not, so, you know

baby steps

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Let's China North Dakota. Tell them they aren't a state anymore, they are part of South Dakota and they can protest and get mad but we just maintain our version of the truth until they give up.

South Dakotans to receive economic incentives to move north and breed with ethnic North Dakotans.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think the house is already too large to be functional. Individual representatives actually matter very little. Its nothing but coalitions. But then I would ideally get rid of the states altogether and only have a large federal government with a small number of regionally elected senators as the sole congressional body, and all other issues handled by regional administrative boards and local government.

Yup.

States are an antiquated notion.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Always wondered what would happen if North Dakota or Wyoming dropped below the minimum population to be considered a state.

Seems silly to give 300k people two senators instead of just splitting them between more populous states. But I guess once a state always a state.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

minot ND was the most dreaded duty location in the air force when I was in the reserves

the story was that icicles would form sideways on chain link fences, and people would have to keep extra uniforms at the office because they'd routinely be snowed in at work

• Options
    in the south we used to force local governments to adhere to shit that wouldn't stuff black voters into a single district or black voters all strewn about in 90%-white nabes because both are really hamfisted efforts at vote dilution

algorithmic redistricting is what some people want to happen simply because it would mean that the majority wouldn't even have to pretend to give a single shit anymore in those places where minorities most desperately need representation

the only argument that makes sense for why we would care about minority representation is that they're racially oppressed and need to have representatives at the national level to guard against it.

• Options
    What I am proposing would bring the house up to 589 members. Who would proportionately represent the population better, if not specific cells, on the national stage.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

we can't because that's racist.

I'm serious, this is the reason why we can't.

Indeed, the people who primarily get counted properly in the census are white and at least wealthy enough to have time to deal with the census. It's mostly the poorest of the poor and minorities that don't get counted properly.

Those are the people that would be getting disenfranchised.

Also, I think that if you had the districts drawn to perfectly represent, you'd probably end up with crazy districts like we have now. If everyone should have someone who shares their ideology in government, we'd draw the districts along ideological lines....

Also, this gets in to issues about what precisely it means to represent someone in government. I was represented for about 8 years by a old japanese-american dude, and his wife after he died. So I wasn't represented, in the sense that someone like me was in government. However, she did share some of my ideals, but she didn't always vote precisely the way that I wanted, so she didn't represent me in the sense of just being there to be my voice. However, I agreed with her about a lot, and I trusted that her judgment would mostly lead her in the right direction, so she represented me in that sense. But in that sense she didn't represent the guy two doors down who was conservative as all get out.

So what precisely does it mean that a particular congressman represents someone. It's not immediately clear to me (though I'm not skeptical that there is such a thing) what that means. So if we're going to design an algorithm to make our government more representational, what precisely does that mean that it's going to do?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

the only argument that makes sense for why we would care about minority representation is that they're racially oppressed and need to have representatives at the national level to guard against it.

Which has historically born out to be true.

And I would say is still true.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Let's be honest no one would take Jersey

• Options

This works out!

well but there are a lot more people in mass than in n dakota

like 9 times as many

this is true

but the point is that we set a level for how many people you need in order to become a State, and they met that bar. Going back now and saying "well that's not enough, we don't like that, we should x instead" doesn't make any more sense than lumping votes together by land area does. :)

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    In an ideal world none of this would be necessary but we also fought a war over whether or not we could own other people or not, so, you know

baby steps

*nods, scribbles notes on page entitled "Current Realpolitik"*

*flips way forward to "Reminisce About When People Identified By Arbitrary Geographic Regions"*

*sighs heavily*

This discussion has been closed.