As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    "If you don't submit yourself to my abuse then YOU'RE the one squelching MY free speech, hypocrite!!!"

signature.png

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    "both sides are just as bad!!"

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Ben has always seemed like ... the nicest person possible in his interviews. Even when he's being fake mean and fake angry, it's still kind of adorable, like a golden retriever barking at his own reflection in the hall mirror.

However, I seriously hope he gets to string that EA fucknut up by his heels.

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    The guy he's angry at posted something defending gamergate, which quickly lost him a few thousand followers on twitter. In response, he posted about how unfollowing/blocking people prevents open discourse blah blah blah, and linked one of Kuchera's articles, ostensibly supporting his argument.

He also totally missed the point of Ben's article.

Ben Kuchera ran the PA Report, while it existed, it took me a bit to recognize why his name sounded so familiar.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    "both sides are just as bad!!"

"teach the controversy!!"

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I've found that I like Kuchera a whole lot more on Twitter than I did when he was doing the PA Report.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Electronic... Farts?

beep fart boop

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I'm kinda sick of how upset people get over folks using the block function

it shouldn't get as much flak as it does

Who said that?!?

I'm kidding of course, I would never block you, Dubhstep.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I've found that I like Kuchera a whole lot more on Twitter than I did when he was doing the PA Report.

kuchera's gotten some deserved flak for writing some really dumb articles in the past

but he's been on point since all of this GG nonsense got rolling

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Cimmerii wrote: »
    The guy he's angry at posted something defending gamergate, which quickly lost him a few thousand followers on twitter. In response, he posted about how unfollowing/blocking people prevents open discourse blah blah blah, and linked one of Kuchera's articles, ostensibly supporting his argument.

He also totally missed the point of Ben's article.

Ben Kuchera ran the PA Report, while it existed, it took me a bit to recognize why his name sounded so familiar.

That's not QUITE correct

The guy he's mad at RTd a post by a GG dude and then he lost a ton of followers due to auto-block bots

Sheri on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It looks like he did indeed remove the links

• Options
    Did he remove the part where he suggests blocking harassers is akin to apartheid?

signature.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

kuchera's gotten some deserved flak for writing some really dumb articles in the past

Yeah, Kuchera was.... not great, before this.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    GG is repugnant.

I always wish there was something I could realistically do to help speak out against it.

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    Ah, your right Sheri.

Still, whinging about losing followers because you promoted someone who is part of a hate group is... icky.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    you are entitled to say whatever you want

you are not entitled to an audience

this seems very obvious but people have a really hard time understanding it

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't like kuchera, but I'm sure I like him more than whoever this GG troglodyte is

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    You aren't even entitled to say what you want

Slander is a thing

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    if you are american the exact same legal document that provides you freedom of speech also provides others with the freedom to not have anything to do with you

• Options
    But you're not hearing both sides!!!

*smug smile based on the fallacy that both sides are equally valid*

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »

on topic

Brianna Wu is also on my "no fly" list for more recent stuff

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    GG is repugnant.

I always wish there was something I could realistically do to help speak out against it.

just keep pushing against it

activism/protest/speaking out can be super annoying for folk to hear
    but that's part of being outspoken - folk are gonna be annoyed at you

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    It's easy to fall into the trap of looking for ways to "counteract" the harassment, but I think a lot of people in the industry who have become anti-GG bulwarks would just rather get some positivity sent their way as opposed to seeing more people "fighting" GG on Twitter, etc.

Signal boost them, definitely, but also when you like the work they do just tell 'em about it. Let them know they're appreciated.

I really want to believe that positive proactivity can be more powerful than harassment and ignorance.

signature.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    It's easy to fall into the trap of looking for ways to "counteract" the harassment, but I think a lot of people in the industry who have become anti-GG bulwarks would just rather get some positivity sent their way as opposed to seeing more people "fighting" GG on Twitter, etc.

Signal boost them, definitely, but also when you like the work they do just tell 'em about it. Let them know they're appreciated.

I really want to believe that positive proactivity can be more powerful than harassment and ignorance.

I can get behind this sentiment I think.

I don't think I'd ever want to "fight" gators on Twitter or whatever.

But I certainly could probably do a better job showing my appreciation towards the people who have been caught up in it.

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular

on topic

Aww... what did she do.
    I admit I only kind of tangentially know of her but I was happy she managed to get her game greenlit despite the shitstorm

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

on topic

How come? I follow here and she seems an OK sort. (Obviously I'm less attuned to problematic situations because so few of them are directed at any of my demographics, so it's probably something really obvious.)

On a different note, my fiancée was asked by her aunt today if she'd been practicing her "married" signature, assuming that she is taking my name.

My fiancée is actually double-barreling, so I told her aunt that she was perpetuating the patriarchy. She agreed.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ed Miliband makes Labour Party commitment to ending tampon tax!! #EndTamponTax
    X
    14 Mar 2015 — Hello all 205,158 of you!!

We have some absolutely AMAZING news to share with you:

Ed Miliband and Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls made a Labour Party commitment today to ending sanitary tax!!! This is one huge step in the right direction thanks you all of you :)

Let's make sure they stick to their promises by letting them know that we are here to push for this change. Sending a tweet to @Ed_Miliband or @edballsmp would be amazingly helpful in pressuring them into making the right decisions!

We sent them both a tweet earlier today, which read something like this: "@Ed_Miliband @edballsmp THANK YOU for committing @UKLabour to ending sanitary tax today. Let's make sure this change happens! #EndTamponTax"

MP Charlotte Leslie also proposed an Early Day Motion earlier this week, reflecting Westminster's opposition to sanitary tax! Similarly, sending her a tweet to say thanks might encourage more MPs to actively support our campaign. Our tweet to the politician read something like this: "@CLeslieMP Thank you for proposing your EDM opposing sanitary tax and for supporting the campaign :) #EndTamponTax"

These are all HUGELY positive steps that show Westminster is taking our campaign seriously and that change really can happen.

Thank you all for supporting us in this very important week and for making it such a success. We have had so much fun sharing it with you!

All the best and wishing you lovely weekends,

Laura

Whoopadee doopadee!

• Options
    You guys have a title called "Shadow Chancellor?"

And his name is Ed Balls?

I guess those two kind of cancel each other out

• Options

on topic

How come? I follow here and she seems an OK sort. (Obviously I'm less attuned to problematic situations because so few of them are directed at any of my demographics, so it's probably something really obvious.)

On a different note, my fiancée was asked by her aunt today if she'd been practicing her "married" signature, assuming that she is taking my name.

My fiancée is actually double-barreling, so I told her aunt that she was perpetuating the patriarchy. She agreed.

she did a business meeting with a known GG figure/harasser/game developer known for spouting off fox news conspiracies, and publicly saying racist/transphobic/homophobic stuff

which really isn't the problem, business being business (though, he's not someone I'd ever do business with)

but then she had the gall to call him an ally, and say he's a nice guy afterwards
    basically, doing the privileged white feminism thing

non-intersectional as all hell

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    worst part, is that queer people of color involved with video games have been warning folk about her for months

and I didn't manage to catch any of it until this happened

it REALLY should go without saying, but does not mean she's a valid target of harassment even if she fucks up like this
    you don't build bridges with known harassers
    there is NO acceptable middle ground with those folk

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    Liiya wrote: »

X

Ed Miliband and Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls made a Labour Party commitment today to ending sanitary tax!!! This is one huge step in the right direction thanks you all of you :)

Let's make sure they stick to their promises by letting them know that we are here to push for this change. Sending a tweet to @Ed_Miliband or @edballsmp would be amazingly helpful in pressuring them into making the right decisions!

We sent them both a tweet earlier today, which read something like this: "@Ed_Miliband @edballsmp THANK YOU for committing @UKLabour to ending sanitary tax today. Let's make sure this change happens! #EndTamponTax"

MP Charlotte Leslie also proposed an Early Day Motion earlier this week, reflecting Westminster's opposition to sanitary tax! Similarly, sending her a tweet to say thanks might encourage more MPs to actively support our campaign. Our tweet to the politician read something like this: "@CLeslieMP Thank you for proposing your EDM opposing sanitary tax and for supporting the campaign :) #EndTamponTax"

These are all HUGELY positive steps that show Westminster is taking our campaign seriously and that change really can happen.

Thank you all for supporting us in this very important week and for making it such a success. We have had so much fun sharing it with you!

Laura

Whoopadee doopadee!

I can't decide how to process this.

tynic on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    You guys have a title called "Shadow Chancellor?"

And his name is Ed Balls?

I guess those two kind of cancel each other out

We have a shadow cabinet too.

Just a cupboard in a dark corner.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

X

Laura

Whoopadee doopadee!

I can't decide how to process this.

Yeah its a lot of "hmm will it won't it happen".

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    doing business with the stardock dude was the big thing for a lot of people but if you had been following wu's twitter closely for a while it was easy to notice a pattern of thought that was uh

let's use the word "conservative", that's charitable

which you know does not at all justify the bullshit but the thing about targeting people indiscriminately over the dumbest issue in the universe is that not all of those people are going to be great people in and of themselves

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

on topic

she did a business meeting with a known GG figure/harasser/game developer known for spouting off fox news conspiracies, and publicly saying racist/transphobic/homophobic stuff

which really isn't the problem, business being business (though, he's not someone I'd ever do business with)

but then she had the gall to call him an ally, and say he's a nice guy afterwards

and then when she was criticized about it she got really defensive and lashed out at people

• Options

on topic

and then when she was criticized about it she got really defensive and lashed out at people

That seems kind of understandable for someone who has been receiving death threats for the past several months

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    perhaps a bit

I don't want to judge someone's actions too much when they've gone through something I haven't

it struck me as the wrong way to handle the situation though

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    This EA guy is a libertarian. That's a good enough reason to want to distance yourself from him.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    GG is repugnant.

there totally is, you just need to balance what you can do in a social media space with what you're comfortable with re: your own mental health

gramblegoobers don't have this issue which makes the whole thing even more exhausting

This discussion has been closed.