As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I've talked about crazy bird names before. Here's one I recently encountered: the invisible rail.

Habroptila wallacii is a flightless rail, part a family of birds that aren't quite waterbirds but do prefer really damp places, preferably with dense vegetation. The invisible rail gets its name because it is both rather shy, and lives and nests in nigh-impenetrable sago palm swamps so people are very highly unlikely to ever spot one, though people might hear its drumming call.

It does not actually get its name because it can't be seen at all. In fact, here's a picture of one:

Mandar-gendang_Habroptila-wallacii-HB.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I've talked about crazy bird names before. Here's one I recently encountered: the invisible rail.

Habroptila wallacii is a flightless rail, part a family of birds that aren't quite waterbirds but do prefer really damp places, preferably with dense vegetation. The invisible rail gets its name because it is both rather shy, and lives and nests in nigh-impenetrable sago palm swamps so people are very highly unlikely to ever spot one, though people might hear its drumming call.

It does not actually get its name because it can't be seen at all. In fact, here's a picture of one:

This would be much funnier if you had posted a picture with no animals in it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

This would be much funnier if you had posted a picture with no animals in it.

Facts > funny.

• Options
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    If people want funny, I'll give you a funny little bird anecdote.

There's a story in Gifts of the Crow by Dr. John Marzluff, about brainy crows using their Theory of Mind against some silly geese. A human silly goose was for some reason feeding Canada geese bread, so the crows covered the bread with leaves so the geese couldn't see it. The geese, being stupid, couldn't find the bread and immediately forgot about it and wandered off leaving the crows to eat the bread at their leisure and/or get satisfaction from having screwed with tiny goose minds.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Look crows the animal kingdom is not a popularity contest.

But if it was, major points right there.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Hahaha

I love this

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    http://www.bodyvisualizer.com/

This thing is incredible.

Also horrific, but that depends on how far you take it.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    According to this, if you are a lady and you exercise 20 hours a week you will grow 2 inches taller.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

Hahaha

I love this

I just forwarded this to my friend with a DMA in percussion. Told her the last one would've been a good way to make sure no one ever forgot her recitals.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I was reading the Wikipedia article on the Asiatic lion and this paragraph caught my eye

Farmers on the periphery of the Gir Forest frequently use crude and illegal electrical fences by powering them with high voltage overhead power lines. These are usually intended to protect their crops from nilgai, but lions and other wildlife are also killed. Nearly 20,000 open wells dug by farmers in the area for irrigation have also acted as traps, which led to many lions drowning. To counteract the problem, suggestions for walls around the wells, as well as the use of "drilled tube wells" have been made.

Hooking up an electrical fence to an overhead power line is hillbilly as shit

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Apparently lions lived in Southern Europe well into historical times which is why they figure so heavily in Greek mythology

And I saw this relief on multiple occasions in London but it's still metal as shit

Also a bit sad

Platy on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i mean, if you were some guy on the periphery of the gir forest and nilgai were eating the crops your family relied on for survival, i imagine the overhead power lines would start to look pretty good

it's either that or commission adventurers to fetch you twenty nilgai hearts

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

Hahaha

I love this

Ha, I've dealt with some ffffffffs before. It was in high school and the teacher had us all put our instruments on the ground then had us breathe in deeply and blow out quickly like we would be doing while playing to show us how quickly we could get light headed if we over did it.

It was pretty fun.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    There's a species in sub-Saharan Africa called the greater honeyguide.

Spottiswoode_adulthoneyguide.jpg
    Female, in hand for a quick visual size comparison

honeyguide_greater_Tar_CBeale_2011_08.jpg
    Male, a little more colorful

While maybe not the most visually interesting, the honeyguide is known and named for its unique behavior.

Honeyguides are among the few birds that can digest wax. They feed frequently on beehives - bee larvae, eggs, and pupae, and the beeswax honeycomb itself. Sometimes, on a very cool early morning while the bees are sluggish and torpid, they can sneak in to feed, or if a ratel (aka honey badger) just crammed its face in a hive and ate its fill they can scavenge afterward, but the most convenient method is to guide human honey-hunters to the hives themselves, which is where they get their name. Sometimes they seek out people, but in some tribes the honey-hunters have a specific whistle to attract the honeyguides. The honeyguides call out sharp quick notes, and flit along, flashing its tail to show the white spots and grab attention, and bring the human to the hive. The human will drive out the bees with smoke and gather the honey. The honeyguide scavenges larvae and wax afterward, though it's usually traditional among the honey-hunters to leave a chunk of honeycomb out for the birds as a thank you.

For a quick sample of what the call sounds like, you can listen to this Bird Note recording.

This is why the greater honeyguide's scientific name is Indicator indicator.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    A reminder that US money almost became pretty damn sweet
    HnGwgPc.jpg

At some point we wanted to base parts of our monetary system on Silver, so the Federal Reserve commissioned several silver bills to be printed. This specific example was ordered by the chief of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for alternate designs, and considered one of the most beautiful designs ever made for US currency within the Educational Series of bills. This ones specific theme is "Electricity as the Dominant Force in the World"

It caused some quick scandal in Boston because of the bare breasts on the allegorical figures since this was 1896 and people had issues with nudity in public art far after this. Then quickly dropped in popularity because when printed the bill was so dark it became difficult for banks to make out counterfeits from genuine bills quickly.

The other side depicts Ulysses S. Grant and Phillip Sheridan, the latter a lesser-regarded Civil War general who was burning down southern houses in the Shenandoah campaigns a while before Sherman became famous for it.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ah yes, back when the dollar sign was just a stylized U on top of the S. I particularly like that design on the right side with the U curling into the S.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like the V and the 5 on the left hand side as well.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Why are crows so loud?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Why are crows so loud?

Because the only thing they have on their mind is murder!

tumblr_lzducf9Ytr1qb38d4o1_500.jpg

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    A reminder that US money almost became pretty damn sweet
    HnGwgPc.jpg

At some point we wanted to base parts of our monetary system on Silver, so the Federal Reserve commissioned several silver bills to be printed. This specific example was ordered by the chief of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for alternate designs, and considered one of the most beautiful designs ever made for US currency within the Educational Series of bills. This ones specific theme is "Electricity as the Dominant Force in the World"

It caused some quick scandal in Boston because of the bare breasts on the allegorical figures since this was 1896 and people had issues with nudity in public art far after this. Then quickly dropped in popularity because when printed the bill was so dark it became difficult for banks to make out counterfeits from genuine bills quickly.

The other side depicts Ulysses S. Grant and Phillip Sheridan, the latter a lesser-regarded Civil War general who was burning down southern houses in the Shenandoah campaigns a while before Sherman became famous for it.

I've always felt that the early issue Standing Liberty Quarters are the finest coins the US has minted.

kvkb0iwaybbk.jpg

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

I think my favorite performance direction I ran into was a tempo given as "a little too quickly."

Then there's "gradually become agitated," which I only saw in an impossible joke piece but would really love to see in an actual score someday.

• Options
    these are genuine excerpts from a clarinet score I own

... it's not my favourite piece

tttnpp56pz24.jpg

j5tn13jmdd1w.jpg

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    So...they just drew the clarinet on the score because.... ?????

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Not exactly clear, innit?

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

It's asking you to scrape your teeth against the reed in an undulating pattern, while simultaneously playing intermediate notes. Of course.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Does it just give up on bars and meter on the second page?

• Options
    The composer clearly thought time signatures were for pussies.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine what sounds that's supposed to make. Something like what I hear in Jewish folk music?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Obviously you're supposed to be singing along using Tuvan throat singing while you play.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I also didn't know that you could play a clarinet by plucking it. I've been doing it wrong all the time.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If you want to know what rapping sounds like in 14 different languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR7s19c1RY

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »

It's asking you to scrape your teeth against the reed in an undulating pattern, while simultaneously playing intermediate notes. Of course.

Did you choose to play the clarinet or did your parents choose it for you

• Options
    edited March 2015
    It was my choice, for my sins.

I was going to be dismissive of my parents choosing anything for me, but then I remembered my mother standing in the way of my ambitions to be an olympic swimmer. And an olympic rower. And an olympic gymnast.
    ... She was really good at crushing the dreams of a six year old. In fairness, I was clearly delusional.

Also in fairness, she never once put her foot down about my ambition to be Wonder Woman. I abandoned that one myself when I realised WW can't fly.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    She was really good at crushing the dreams of a six year old. In fairness, I was clearly delusional.

Why? I once knew a lady who was an olympic wrestler.

Platy on
  • Options
    She was really good at crushing the dreams of a six year old. In fairness, I was clearly delusional.

Why? I once knew a lady who was an olympic wrestler.

I'm not saying other people can't be olympic athletes. Clearly, there are many. But she probably had a better handle on my physical prowess than I did.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It was my choice, for my sins.

I was going to be dismissive of my parents choosing anything for me, but then I remembered my mother standing in the way of my ambitions to be an olympic swimmer. And an olympic rower. And an olympic gymnast.
    ... She was really good at crushing the dreams of a six year old. In fairness, I was clearly delusional.

Also in fairness, she never once put her foot down about my ambition to be Wonder Woman. I abandoned that one myself when I realised WW can't fly.

Years later you watched Justice league and uttered a single " God damnit" when WW first appeared

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I have never watched Justice League.

This discussion has been closed.