Options

the weakness of western [chat]

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    evilbob wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's like people don't remember that Jon Stewart had like five years doing blackface characters on Italian TV before the Daily Show.

That was before Twitter though.

Jon Stewart has also come out and said blackface is not okay.

Again, mixed race, born and grew up under Apartheid

The maxim you're apparently leaning on here is busted.

Being born mixed race in a particular geographic area with an apartheid government doesn't give him free reign to be a sexist ass. Which is what annoys me more than any of his remarks about Israel.

Firstly, that is a separate issue.

Secondly, what precisely is sexist?

Oh hi _J_ when did you get unbanned?

haha, zing

Let's not forget that half the time people are being shitty to _J_ for what their own words indicate they believe is a psychological condition.

I don't know if _J_ does or does not have a personality, social or empathy disorder but the way that people talk to and about him is shamefully hypocritical.

Happily, he seems not to care as we share similar views about what are appropriate things to make fun and what makes sense to be offended about.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    is that rapper joke very anti-semitic?

it doesn't seem it

"there's a lot of old jews in the entertainment industry" doesn't seem like the most heinous sentiment in the world

It can be tied to the old antisemitic thing about Jews running the banks and entertainment for nefarious purposes.

He probably didn't mean it that way but yes it can be construed to a very common and old antisemitic piece of rhetoric.

If you are going to make a joke about Israel (bad idea IMO) then you basically need to walk on eggshells about Jewish people. If you are making jokes about Jews AND Israel, you start to sound Anti-Semitic, and let's be honest. If yo feel compelled to make that many jokes about Jews and the Jewish state, you probably are at least a little anti-Semitic.

Am I going to say "What, no, that's wrong" and are you then going to hit me with Czar'd! Or some other new catchphrase for which I am as yet unprepared?

Now we'll never know.

As a comedian, I think the best approach is unwavering support for Israel, just to be safe. Maybe convert to Judiasm to see how it fits? Possibly marry a Jewish girl and raise a traditional Jewish family and relocate to Israel to not look biased? Maybe become a member of the Knesset and vote in favor of Israeli policy towards Palestine to show you are open minded towards the Jews? I'm not asking for too mych, I don't think.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's like people don't remember that Jon Stewart had like five years doing blackface characters on Italian TV before the Daily Show.

I'm gonna be a nazi asshole and say that maybe Blackface is more offensive in the US than elsewhere because of the sociocultural implications of the act and not because of the act itself.

I mean, was there a huge institutionalized racist establishment in Europe? i'm asking because I don't know here.

The UK had black and white minstrel shows

There was a minstrel band featured in a Jeeves and Wooster episode, where Bertie hid amongst them using boot polish

(Image link because I have no idea whether your place of work would appreciate you browsing blackface images, even if it is Hugh Laurie)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/oxfam2uk/1.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It's like Jesus always said. He who is without sin, scour Twitter for as many rocks as you can find.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

it doesn't seem it

"there's a lot of old jews in the entertainment industry" doesn't seem like the most heinous sentiment in the world

It can be tied to the old antisemitic thing about Jews running the banks and entertainment for nefarious purposes.

He probably didn't mean it that way but yes it can be construed to a very common and old antisemitic piece of rhetoric.

If you are going to make a joke about Israel (bad idea IMO) then you basically need to walk on eggshells about Jewish people. If you are making jokes about Jews AND Israel, you start to sound Anti-Semitic, and let's be honest. If yo feel compelled to make that many jokes about Jews and the Jewish state, you probably are at least a little anti-Semitic.

Am I going to say "What, no, that's wrong" and are you then going to hit me with Czar'd! Or some other new catchphrase for which I am as yet unprepared?

Now we'll never know.

As a comedian, I think the best approach is unwavering support for Israel, just to be safe. Maybe convert to Judiasm to see how it fits? Possibly marry a Jewish girl and raise a traditional Jewish family and relocate to Israel to not look biased? Maybe become a member of the Knesset and vote in favor of Israeli policy towards Palestine to show you are open minded towards the Jews? I'm not asking for too mych, I don't think.

will this make me funnier

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2015
    It's like Jesus always said. He who is without sin, scour Twitter for as many rocks as you can find.

tweeting used to take so much longer

carving those stone tablets with nothing but bird beaks took god forever

Vanguard on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    back in my day we had to walk fifteen miles uphill if we wanted to make a tweet

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i vote we just make it okay to say whatever you want on twitter

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    back in my day we had to walk fifteen miles uphill if we wanted to make a tweet

we had to stoke the fires of outrage all on our own

I lost my eyebrows that way

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oh, I am not gonna be so bold as to ask for him to not get the post. I think the dude is funny, and honestly some of those jokes are funny too (some of them aren't but hey, strikes and gutters).

I am sure that TDS, Jon Stewart, etc. had already seen all of this. This is the show that catches people saying dumb shit 9 years ago and throws it in their face when they say something that day that goes against the dumb shit they said before. They research everything and using all forms of media to find stuff is kind of their gig. I am guessing they knew and decided none of this is so bad as to warrant it being a big deal.

If you want a good comedian in the chair, you have to accept the fact that they will probably have said some unsavory shit in the years building up their craft.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

it doesn't seem it

Now we'll never know.

Guaranteed hit prime time sit com.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Nobody will believe you're an Irish Jew, they ate all of them in the famine

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hmm according to my phone I walk like 5 miles a day

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynJZXMbICQ

I fucking love listening to Anthony Jeselnik talk about things that were ok by standards and practises.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hmm according to my phone I walk like 5 miles a day

it's about right for someone in nyc

if i don't try i tend to walk that distance too but if i go out and am running it's 10-15 miles on foot/day

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Had the fun conversation where i let my folks know i'm seeing someone today.

I hate answering questions

This is why I keep my parents in the dark about these sort of things.

Though this makes them think I am some kind of weird loner.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    SSD installed

MAXIMUM SPEED

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynJZXMbICQ

I fucking love listening to Anthony Jeselnik talk about things that were ok by standards and practises.

that is golden

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed in the guy for making those jokes, I don't like the jokes, and I now dislike the guy a little bit for being the type of guy who would make jokes like that. That's the end of my personal outrage.

• Options
    Body Parts Found Inside Black Duffel Bag On Rockaway Shoreline

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Nobody will believe you're an Irish Jew, they ate all of them in the famine
    Good ol' Shlomo McManischewitz.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

it doesn't seem it

Now we'll never know.

no but it provides a built-in fanbase

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Friday night we'll be drinking Manischewitz
    Going out to terrorize Goyim
    Stomping shagitz, screwing shiksas
    As long as we're home by Saturday morning

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2015
    Vanguard wrote: »

iMlMMa.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    yesssss

Last exalt mission has one last crazy exalt rag doll.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Better Call Saul might be the best show on TV right now. It has managed to fill Breaking Bad's shoes with a character I had no real expectation of doing so.

I might even like Saul more than I ever liked Walt.

Walt became an asshole while I always kinda liked Saul no matter what

so yeah I agree with this

Walt was an asshole by like the 3rd episode, whenever the poor janitor got into some shit for his crap.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Damn, we migrated one of our old mail servers and now it's mad that I have too much stuff

Your mailbox is becoming too large. The current size is 17486 MB.
    Please reduce your mailbox size. Delete items that you don't need from your mailbox and empty your Deleted Items folder.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Walt is a character that you constantly waffle on. He has these badass moments that seem totally noble and then like 3 episodes later you realize that he's a sociopath until he seems at a real crossroads again. If I had to describe the show in a phrase, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions,"

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    @Irond Will I'm giving Justin your phone #. He's going to Boston for something or the other.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dear people of the internet

please buy my stuff

k thx bye

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I tried finding Mulaney's bit about his jewish girlfriend, but it's not on youtube so now I'm just watching his special

"You mean to tell me this guy gets off on little girls with pigtails?"
    "Yeah Ice. He's a pedophile. You work in the sex crime division. You're gonna have to get used to that."
    that's the best comedy special I've watched in years.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i like Anthony Jeselnik

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    2DgPvUk.jpg

BAB FAB

@Deebaser

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »

iMlMMa.jpg

its worse than I possibly imagined

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

So we've gone from Chiraq to Chi-lombia.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

it doesn't seem it

Now we'll never know.

It already is. This was your funniest post ever. I laughed out loud.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Jon Stewart has also come out and said blackface is not okay.

Again, mixed race, born and grew up under Apartheid

The maxim you're apparently leaning on here is busted.

Being born mixed race in a particular geographic area with an apartheid government doesn't give him free reign to be a sexist ass. Which is what annoys me more than any of his remarks about Israel.

Firstly, that is a separate issue.

Secondly, what precisely is sexist?

Oh hi _J_ when did you get unbanned?

haha, zing

Let's not forget that half the time people are being shitty to _J_ for what their own words indicate they believe is a psychological condition.

I don't know if _J_ does or does not have a personality, social or empathy disorder but the way that people talk to and about him is shamefully hypocritical.

Happily, he seems not to care as we share similar views about what are appropriate things to make fun and what makes sense to be offended about.

I actually PMed _J_ around Christmas when he thought he was getting banned but the paperwork hadn't been put in yet

We had a good discussion; I feel bad for the guy

His participation in chat notwithstanding - and chat is certainly a thing - I think the on topic DD threads are poorer without him. He was a good foil to a few other posters, some of whom rarely or never frequent chat.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Although I have to say, while I'd stop for a traffic barrel in the street, as soon as someone jumped out and ran at my car I'd just run that barrel over. It's not like "Well, barrel's still there, can't disobey the barrel."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I initially read that as "Robbers set up fake road, block then attack drivers"

And I was imagining a Wile E. Coyote style caper

The real answer is much more mundane, and shitty.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.