Options

j[chat]awala

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    The sad thing is that in the near-term all this (justified) lash-back against police is only going to make police officers more paranoid and violent.

Lumping all police officers into this group of tyrannical murderers is only going to make them feel like they have to have solidarity with each other.

We really ought to be framing the situation as a conflict between "good cops" and "bad cops", such that cops should want to be associated with the former and outraged with the latter. Framing the situation as "cops" and "general populace" is only going to create more conflict.

Is there a conflict between good cops and bad cops though?

edit: wait, this is the [chat] thread, nvm

No, but there should be. That's my entire point.

There's not going to be any reform of how the police function unless people from inside take action. Demonizing all police is only going to make all police not want to listen to you. Demonizing some police is going to make other police think twice about whether they want to be associated with them.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, sorry, I'll stop talking about cops in here.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I also still say that the people who are borrowing HBO Go accounts from friends/family or are torrenting episodes are probably not going to by and large switch over to paying for HBO Now just because they can. Because they could have been paying for it the whole time.

I think HBO Now is more likely to get the people who waited for DVD sets or paid digital downloads who don't have to wait any more.

I still say you're wrong.

I don't have HBO now (not uppercase) because I don't have cable at all. I pay for Netflix though, and tried Hulu Plus until I got annoyed at the ads and lack of selection.

HBO isn't worth $10 a month plus the cost of cable.

It is, however, worth the 10-15 a month on it's own.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    yeah synd your logic seems a little goofy there

i borrow hbo go but will happily subscribe to hbo now

sig.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I also still say that the people who are borrowing HBO Go accounts from friends/family or are torrenting episodes are probably not going to by and large switch over to paying for HBO Now just because they can. Because they could have been paying for it the whole time.

I think HBO Now is more likely to get the people who waited for DVD sets or paid digital downloads who don't have to wait any more.

I don't have HBO now (not uppercase) because I don't have cable at all. I pay for Netflix though, and tried Hulu Plus until I got annoyed at the ads and lack of selection.

So right now, you could go down to a best buy / apple store or borrow a friend's iDevice, sign up, and get a login for use on any computer.

The first month would even be free.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Of all the differences between US and UK english, the one that throws me every time is the use of the word "hired" instead of "rented". Like, you can hire a bike or hire a chair at the beach. I might not say "lorry" or "bugger" but I parse the words without skipping a beat. "Hire" just throws me every time.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

So right now, you could go down to a best buy / apple store or borrow a friend's iDevice, sign up, and get a login for use on any computer.

The first month would even be free.

Well, I'd have to set up an iTunes account and give Apple my credit card info, then they would get a 30% cut.

I don't plan on rewarding Apple for buying exclusivity.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am still surprised that there are people nowadays who don't have iTunes accounts.

Like, there was a solid period of time where the only MP3 player that wasn't absolute shit required one.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I am still surprised that there are people nowadays who don't have iTunes accounts.

Like, there was a solid period of time where the only MP3 player that wasn't absolute shit required one.

I live in a world of amazon and google. I have no need for your silly apple accounts.

Now, imagining someone without an amazon account; that is just completely unbelievable to me.

• Options

Yes, we know that you're surprised that people don't buy into Apple.

I had an iRiver forever ago and it was great. It lasted me until I had a smart phone.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am now installing uplay.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Of all the differences between US and UK english, the one that throws me every time is the use of the word "hired" instead of "rented". Like, you can hire a bike or hire a chair at the beach. I might not say "lorry" or "bugger" but I parse the words without skipping a beat. "Hire" just throws me every time.

the one that makes the least sense for me is "hired" referring to non-temporary employment otherwise it's all good

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    yeah synd your logic seems a little goofy there

i borrow hbo go but will happily subscribe to hbo now

It makes me guaranteed to have it if my family changes subscribers or cancels.

Synd I think you are clouded by your almost fanatical belief in Apple does no wrong.

The bags of money helps apple but it doesn't mean it is good for the consumer or helps HBO in the long run.

Cutting out chunks of the probably customer base for one of your biggest shows can lead to bad will or continued piracy. If you give people the chance to get the product at a good price on platforms they own I think you will find they will pay for it.

Even those borrowing hbo or downloading the show do to no other choice.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    My impression of people's reaction to this apple/hbo thing is that people seem to be willing to tolerate channel exclusivity (e.g. game of thrones only available on HBO) or platform exclusivity (e.g. netflix originals), but not both simultaneously.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Abdhyius wrote: »

the one that makes the least sense for me is "hired" referring to non-temporary employment otherwise it's all good

What word would you use for long-term employment?

Winky on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i haven't logged into my itunes account in maybe 9 years

• Options

I killed my itunes account with fire because I needed to have it once upon a time when iTunes was so shit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I didn't make an itunes account until Shin Megami Tensei came out on iOS. But I'm an outlier.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

employed I guess

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    hiring and renting are both temporary except for that use

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I don't think I ever really fully set up my itunes account.

I had one for my ipod in Japan. But never got music from it. It was basically a file transfer program that was used when I added new music to my collection from ripping cds or other means.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My wife is gone on a business trip for 3 days.

I'm pretty sure I can keep up the charade of being an adult for 3 days.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    jesus fuck the syncing shit with itunes was so terrible

just let me fucking put the files in you you piece of shit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wait, car needs to be filled. Everything's doomed.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited April 2015

employed I guess

actually, I would use ansettelse, because duh

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    hiring and renting are both temporary except for that use

Well there's no such thing as non-temporary employment.

Hired still makes sense.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    This week's project is to make sprites for the main Acquisitions Incorporated party. Maybe. Probably. Possibly.

All your favorites will be included.

Jim Darkmagic, Omin Dran, Jim Darkmagic, the dwarf, Jim Darkmagic and Jim Darkmagic.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Isn't all employment temporary?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Yes, we know that you're surprised that people don't buy into Apple.

I had an iRiver forever ago and it was great. It lasted me until I had a smart phone.

I had a CD player that could play MP3 CDs until I got a smartphone.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Julius wrote: »

Isn't all employment temporary?

some employment is a lot more temporary

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I killed my itunes account with fire because I needed to have it once upon a time when iTunes was so shit

iTunes is still shit. It's a bloated, confusing mass.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Critique this email pls
    Hi <name>

how's it going? We met at <event> in London last year. A friend of mine said you were booking the comedy stage at <festival> this year, and I was wondering if you needed any more comics for it? I've heard nothing but good things about the comedy stage there and would be really interested in participating this year. I can provide credits and videos if you're interested.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

All the best,
    Tav

I feel a bit stupid about the credits line, but I'm not sure how to say "I'm not shit and can prove it if you need me to"

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I still have my Archos gmini

Dents in the casing and everything

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Critique this email pls
    Hi <name>

how's it going? We met at <event> in London last year. A friend of mine said you were booking the comedy stage at <festival> this year, and I was wondering if you needed any more comics for it? I've heard nothing but good things about the comedy stage there and would be really interested in participating this year. I can provide credits and videos if you're interested.

All the best,
    Tav

I feel a bit stupid about the credits line, but I'm not sure how to say "I'm not shit and can prove it if you need me to"

Credentials?

Use the full word maybe?

Credits in my mind is like the money in a game.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh,

I just watched episode 7.
    They toned Stick's dickishness way down. He's damn near nice in the show compared to the comics.

• Options
    why would i have an itunes account when i can buy things without giving apple money

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I liked iTunes database syncing model. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked it on its own merits. I had way too much music in the iPod days and found it useful to set up sync rules rather than drag stuff on and off. It took a little more thought but it made my usage possible, which it wasn't before.

Now everything lives is some kind of nebulous cloud database so you don't have to drag files or setup sync rules. Not gonna pretend that's not an improvement in every sense.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I plugged this into my PC and then I dragged MP3s from my hard drive onto it. When I plugged a 5mm cord into it, sound came out the other end.
    creative-nomad-jukebox-zen-xtra-7h7-800.jpg
    Smart phones have replaced the need for an MP3 player, but I would still rather use something like this than ever open iTunes.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Critique this email pls
    Hi <name>

All the best,
    Tav

Credentials?

Use the full word maybe?

Credits in my mind is like the money in a game.

"credits" is pretty widely used in comedy bookings

• Options
    Critique this email pls
    Hi <name>

All the best,
    Tav

Capitalize the H in "how's it going?". Also maybe drop the question entirely since you don't care and it will not be answered.

This discussion has been closed.