Options

j[chat]awala

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    okay my cast iron skillet says it is 7.8 lbs but that can't be right

or it is just a really long handle and all the weight is on the other end probably

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    if I put a gun to your head and made you choose would you rather use quicktime or install the Bing! toolbar

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

or it is just a really long handle and all the weight is on the other end probably

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

Weak baby arm Castle.

Get more swole.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I liked iTunes database syncing model. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked it on its own merits. I had way too much music in the iPod days and found it useful to set up sync rules rather than drag stuff on and off. It took a little more thought but it made my usage possible, which it wasn't before.

Now everything lives is some kind of nebulous cloud database so you don't have to drag files or setup sync rules. Not gonna pretend that's not an improvement in every sense.

Nah there are a lot of people who liked it.

Even as tech minded and DIY as I am, every time someone extolls the merits of self-managed folders filled with their MP3s and synching to the player like it were a flash drive as some kind of a good thing compared to what itunes (and later Zune) did I just don't get it. Purposefully making your life harder to be in control of something that in no way needs you in control of it is just the peak of wasted energy.

I don't think I know what you mean by making my life harder

I literally just dragged a box over my music folder, copied, went to the E:/MP3PLAYERNAMEHERE drive, and pasted

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

Weak baby arm Castle.

Get more swole.

imma hit u with this giant skillet!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I just hope HBO Now doesn't crash tonight from all the extra traffic it's sure to get.

hbo go crashed every single time true blood or game of thrones came out with a new episode

which is why this is gonna be super interesting, because Now uses a new framework, that has been tested against shit like the Word Series.

Game of Thrones should have no problems whatsoever. Should.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I liked iTunes database syncing model. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked it on its own merits. I had way too much music in the iPod days and found it useful to set up sync rules rather than drag stuff on and off. It took a little more thought but it made my usage possible, which it wasn't before.

Now everything lives is some kind of nebulous cloud database so you don't have to drag files or setup sync rules. Not gonna pretend that's not an improvement in every sense.

Even as tech minded and DIY as I am, every time someone extolls the merits of self-managed folders filled with their MP3s and synching to the player like it were a flash drive as some kind of a good thing compared to what itunes (and later Zune) did I just don't get it. Purposefully making your life harder to be in control of something that in no way needs you in control of it is just the peak of wasted energy.

I literally just dragged a box over my music folder, copied, went to the E:/MP3PLAYERNAMEHERE drive, and pasted

agree with choco. it is so much more complicated to get stuff on my iphone than it is on any other mp3 player i've ever had.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    Having the Kinect plugged in and listening for the "Xbox On" command adds about 1W of additional power draw to the "Instant On" mode, in our tests. You can also turn this off in Power Save setting menu. Interestingly, that power draw jumps to about 22 or 23 Watts for a few seconds every time the Kinect hears you say the word "Xbox," even if you don't follow it with "On." If you end up talking about the Xbox a lot in your living room, this could end up costing you a small amount of money on your power bill!

Hehehe.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/how-standby-modes-on-game-consoles-suck-up-energy/

This is awesome because it's kindasorta how brains work sometimes.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    trick question the correct answer is to have me shoot you instead of choosing

Getting iTunes to sync the right stuff, that was "making my life harder"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

And how did you curate that folder, and the subfolders under it? How did you ID3 Tag your music? How many different tools and how much time was spent getting your music in a state where you could listen to a mix of all of your 90s rock or whatever?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

Weak baby arm Castle.

Get more swole.

lov u <3

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    mine has to be at least 20 lbs. it is 12" and super thick.

• Options
    i am glad i have this because i have been wondering what i would beat a zombie to death with

it's not ideal, but it will do

• Options
    Julius wrote: »
    mine has to be at least 20 lbs. it is 12" and super thick.

laaaaaaadies

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I just hope HBO Now doesn't crash tonight from all the extra traffic it's sure to get.

hbo go crashed every single time true blood or game of thrones came out with a new episode

which is why this is gonna be super interesting, because Now uses a new framework, that has been tested against shit like the Word Series.

I don't think you can actually use MLB.tv to watch live games, but yes, the back end on this should be very solid.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    my sorting method of anything ever is to have it in one huge list or pile and just remember what is where

it's a lot better

a lot better and they should stop trying to "help" until they get it right

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I don't think you can actually use MLB.tv to watch live games, but yes, the back end on this should be very solid.

I was just watching one.

That is what the subscription is for.

In fact I had two on. One was in picture in picture.

You can have up to 4 at once.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

And how did you curate that folder, and the subfolders under it? How did you ID3 Tag your music? How many different tools and how much time was spent getting your music in a state where you could listen to a mix of all of your 90s rock or whatever?

does osx not have an equivalent of Ctrl clicking to select multiple files for copying at once or something

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I was just watching one.

you know what i'm thinking of, it's in market games you can't watch

yeah never mind, it'll be fine

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

does osx not have an equivalent of Ctrl clicking to select multiple files for copying at once or something

Sure it does, it had it before windows.

But that said, what I am asking is not "how did you drag your music onto the device" but rather "how did you get hundreds or thousands of songs cataloged, indexed, tagged, sorted and managed such that you could drag your folders onto the device" and if you were to start rating or sorting the music on the device how do those changes reflect back to the original PC you dragged it from.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

Weak baby arm Castle.

Get more swole.

yang-frying-pan.jpg

• Options

I was just watching one.

Just a bit different in how it works. It is blackouts which means it just checks your location and says watch it on tv.

The World Series is different. Runs off national broadcasters so I think it works for everyone.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

But that said, what I am asking is not "how did you drag your music onto the device" but rather "how did you get hundreds or thousands of songs cataloged, indexed, tagged, sorted and managed such that you could drag your folders onto the device" and if you were to start rating or sorting the music on the device how do those changes reflect back to the original PC you dragged it from.

title, album, artist

all the info I need

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I have never and still to this day do not require or even want my music to be sorted in any way other than by Artist, Album, and Song. Every MP3 player I've ever used including that Creative Zen Nomad was able to parse that information. I have also never wanted to rate my music on the device, or want it to do anything to my PC when I plug it in. You sit there, you eat the MP3s that I put inside of you when I decide that you need more MP3s in you, and then when I want to listen to something I select it.

This is a really silly argument.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    SWOLE PATROLE ASSEMBLE

I did it motherfuckers. 2:26:02 is my official time. I was aiming for 2:30 and am surprised and elated by how well this race went. I felt really good pretty much right up to the end (until the last two miles when i slowed down considerably). Holy shiiii

y5gIq7wl.jpg

dis me b4 bein all fuk u i got dis

9N2OgsLl.jpg

dis me doin run i totally look liek im havin fun i bet

cN20Dtol.jpg

dis me really close to the finish after i ditched my sweaty jacket by throwing it in Beasto's face and then noticed him snapping a shot. I think i almost hit the girl behind me in the face woops

Hw62oNRl.jpg

they give you a baller medal for finishing. fancy as fuk man

Then after Beast and I went to Sushi Palace which lets you order as many sushis as you want until you get full and boy did we eat

it was so gud. gud day. Beast was awesome waking up really early so he could come hold my shit and cheer me on. tired and fatigued a lil but fuggin worth it. those endorphins, man. fuck yesssssss

@BEAST! @desc @Kid Presentable @programjunkie @Casual

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

I was just watching one.

Just a bit different in how it works. It is blackouts which means it just checks your location and says watch it on tv.

The World Series is different. Runs off national broadcasters so I think it works for everyone.

Yeah, I just checked the site and it looks like this is the second year you can watch the WS live, which is neat.

I wish you could watch in market though, or I could move so I could watch Rays games.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It didn't make my life harder. There's the MP3, move it to the player, done. People just want to say "This song, here" and no faff in between.

The actually extra work involved is in managing and structuring your collection so that it's all in the right place, via folders and tags and such. And the thing is, iTunes isn't very good at that either. Fiddling with MP3 info and tags and such via iTunes is a real pain in the ass and like everything, Apple does not play well with others.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

every time i illegally downloaded a music file while 360 noscope pro mlg dunking on a nerd followed by slamming a 'dew i would carefully change all the tags myself and maybe put my own icons on them

honestly though i didn't really bother beyond having a folder for each band

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    My main experience with synching is that it's utterly opaque and has made having more than one computer worse than the holocaust.

I have yet to find the 'please just update my operating system without deleting all my shit' button

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So swole

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm finding it really hard to play Rainbow Six: Siege without talking to people. Even though not everyone in the matches I played so far had a headset, I think it'd help if I had one to coordinate with the 2-3 people who do.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I don't really know what you mean.

Generally the ripper did the tagging. I just kept everything in a single folder and picked out what I wanted on the device at the time. I only have a few hundred albums so it isn't hard to keep track of what's what. I can't think of any changes I'd make on the device itself that i'd want to copy back into the folder. Playlists, possibly, but they were just lists of files on my device and could be copied off it if desired but I tended to treat playlists as kind of ephemeral anyway so that never came up.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ~ * SWOLE PATROL "IRON IS FORGED IN FLAMES" RIBBON * ~

@hakkekage

desc on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

It didn't make my life harder. There's the MP3, move it to the player, done. People just want to say "This song, here" and no faff in between.

The actually extra work involved is in managing and structuring your collection so that it's all in the right place, via folders and tags and such. And the thing is, iTunes isn't very good at that either. Fiddling with MP3 info and tags and such via iTunes is a real pain in the ass and like everything, Apple does not play well with others.

I buy a CD (or a digital album), drop it into iTunes or rip it, and I'm done. The album art, all the track info, the metadata, everything just kind of shows up. I never dig into the folders, I have no reason to. The very concept of even going into those folders feels alien to me at this point - like the shit I used to do when WinAmp/X11Amp was whipping the llama's ass.

And if I needed to edit any of the metadata because it was music I made or something, you just right click the song, select Show Info, and go nuts.

Maybe its all shit in windows? Like, the process is painless as fuck.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    So swole

anything but i need to get my lifts and my weight loss on, i felt the drag hardcore on those uphills

course was way easier than i expected. Even clocked in a 10:30 mile...on the 6th mile. Just cray. I felt really undertrained going into it too. Much self confidence right now

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Step 1: pay for Rdio.
    Step 2: Live life.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    SWOLE PATROLE ASSEMBLE

I did it motherfuckers. 2:26:02 is my official time. I was aiming for 2:30 and am surprised and elated by how well this race went. I felt really good pretty much right up to the end (until the last two miles when i slowed down considerably). Holy shiiii

dis me b4 bein all fuk u i got dis

dis me doin run i totally look liek im havin fun i bet

dis me really close to the finish after i ditched my sweaty jacket by throwing it in Beasto's face and then noticed him snapping a shot. I think i almost hit the girl behind me in the face woops

they give you a baller medal for finishing. fancy as fuk man

Then after Beast and I went to Sushi Palace which lets you order as many sushis as you want until you get full and boy did we eat

it was so gud. gud day. Beast was awesome waking up really early so he could come hold my shit and cheer me on. tired and fatigued a lil but fuggin worth it. those endorphins, man. fuck yesssssss

Oh shiiiiiiiiii-

5001c82218613372cf003d7e.jpg?w=400

That's awesome, great job Hakkes! There was a lot of hating on running this morning, talking about how people are miserable when they're doing that but I feel like this is evidence of the contrary, look at that photogenic ass picture at the end there. I gotta get in on something official like that this year, looks like a lot of fun.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * SWOLE PATROL "IRON IS FORGED IN FLAMES" RIBBON * ~

@hakkekage

ilu u desc u r my sun and stars

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

agree with choco. it is so much more complicated to get stuff on my iphone than it is on any other mp3 player i've ever had.

I'm on team Choco/OtLC.

I find the iTunes model extremely frustrating.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.