As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I don't see why it's a big deal, the price of the game plus any of the individual instruments (except mic maybe) is close enough to the bundle that I can't imagine why someone wouldn't just buy the bundle instead. I mean if you can afford to spend $140 on a game you can spend $170 on a game.

Not to mention that precisely because of this decision, standalone products will probably be in high demand on your ebays...buy the bundle, recoup your losses...if you can handle that 170 upfront anyway...

Hmm, that's a good idea, except I don't think you can buy standalone copies of the game itself.

But what you could do is buy the game and sell the guitar to someone else, if you just want to drum or sing. Or you have another compatible guitar.

Strato on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm sure ebay will have all combinations of packages anyone would care for. No worries.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Any word on guitar compatibility yet? It would be sweet if I could use the gibson for rock band

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HelfMyselp wrote: »
    IGN has a new little ditty about Sabotage (including a video with lots of yellow and orange notes and a total douche playing the Strat), but the important things in the article are as follows:
    The IGN wrote:
    If you're taking on the manly role of being bassist in Rock Band, there are a few songs that will have you smiling. One of the best is "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys. The ultimate bassline in Rock Band, though, is in a song which IGN will reveal next Monday. You'll never in a million years guess the song (we promise), but it's considered one of the most difficult in the game and nearly ended the Ignorant Sluts. The bassline is the sickest we've played in Rock Band.

The bass guitar has all the same functionality as lead guitar. So Overdrive (previously Star Power) is executed by tilting the next up. This earns you sick points through a hefty multiplier. It also is used to rescue a band member that's failed out. And you will want to save them as quickly as possible, because if they aren't earning points, then the band's overall score will be down. And it's that final score that will help earn you new groupies and cold hard cash. Plus, if a member stays down too long, the entire band fails out. A good bass guitarist is also a team player.

Check back next week when IGN unleashes five full days of Rock Band coverage. We'll be revealing a new song on Monday and building to bigger and better things throughout the week.

A whole fucking week of Rock Band coverages starting on Monday?!?!?! Is it sad that I'm ready for the weekend to be over already?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    IGN has a new little ditty about Sabotage (including a video with lots of yellow and orange notes and a total douche playing the Strat), but the important things in the article are as follows:
    The IGN wrote:
    If you're taking on the manly role of being bassist in Rock Band, there are a few songs that will have you smiling. One of the best is "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys. The ultimate bassline in Rock Band, though, is in a song which IGN will reveal next Monday. You'll never in a million years guess the song (we promise), but it's considered one of the most difficult in the game and nearly ended the Ignorant Sluts. The bassline is the sickest we've played in Rock Band.

The bass guitar has all the same functionality as lead guitar. So Overdrive (previously Star Power) is executed by tilting the next up. This earns you sick points through a hefty multiplier. It also is used to rescue a band member that's failed out. And you will want to save them as quickly as possible, because if they aren't earning points, then the band's overall score will be down. And it's that final score that will help earn you new groupies and cold hard cash. Plus, if a member stays down too long, the entire band fails out. A good bass guitarist is also a team player.

Check back next week when IGN unleashes five full days of Rock Band coverage. We'll be revealing a new song on Monday and building to bigger and better things throughout the week.

A whole fucking week of Rock Band coverages starting on Monday?!?!?! Is it sad that I'm ready for the weekend to be over already?

I hope they reveal more album downloads. We already have Who's Next and Nevermind. I'm hoping for Stadium Arcadium, The Blue Album, Pinkerton, anything from The Beatles (could the awesome bassline be referring to "Something"? I doubt it, but here's hoping) and anything from The Who.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The IGN wrote:

I hope they reveal more album downloads. We already have Who's Next and Nevermind. I'm hoping for Stadium Arcadium, The Blue Album, Pinkerton, anything from The Beatles (could the awesome bassline be referring to "Something"? I doubt it, but here's hoping) and anything from The Who.

I'd love Stadium Arcadium, b/c I desperately want to play the riff from Snow.

While singing it. Or not, i don't really give a shit.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The IGN wrote:

As far as album downloads goes, I still want Appetite for Destruction more than anything. All my dicks would indeed be cumming for that much Guns 'N Roses awesomeness.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The IGN wrote:

Atheisttttttttttttttt :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's just that I really liked the way that the album downloads looked like they were leaning. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is on the disc; the album it's from, Who's Next, is downloadable. "In Bloom" is on the disc; Nevermind is downloadable. If all the albums that these songs came from were featured as DLC, that would honestly be enough for me, but I have high hopes.

I was worried by the fact that in that interview he stated DLC would be featured every week until the end of the year. What gives with that? After January, no more DLC? Or just not weekly anymore?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TeeMan wrote: »
    The IGN wrote:

Atheisttttttttttttttt :D

Mother Earth has fallen to Mother Man

The Cheese on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did they ever add a Barenaked Ladies song?

Cause that would be amazing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Not yet.

That and Electric Six would make me happy.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not yet, but every day I pray for the whole collection, or at least Are Me/Are Men.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do you guys think the note charts are going to suffer when they start having to mass manufacture them for all these weekly album releases etc?

Ant000 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Do you guys think the note charts are going to suffer when they start having to mass manufacture them for all these weekly album releases etc?

Odds are they'll have haberdasheries full of moneyhats by then, so they'll be able to get enough people to keep up if the workload gets that high.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gork wrote: »
    The wireless guitar, for 360 at least, is still being sold separately.

Yes, but they've said those won't be available on release day either. I'd expect them the same time as the other standalone periphs...sometime in 2008.

That doesn't really make any sense, though. What are they doing with all the wireless 360 guitars they're making, then? Having guitar fights?

Gork on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That doesn't really make any sense, though. What are they doing with all the wireless 360 guitars they're making, then? Having guitar fights?
    With ninjas!

ninjaguitarduelku4.jpg

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Where is the new thread? We're up in the 100s now...

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »

I don't think it takes them THAT long to make a note chart. It's probably mostly done by the time they announce it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The wireless guitar, for 360 at least, is still being sold separately.

Yes, but they've said those won't be available on release day either. I'd expect them the same time as the other standalone periphs...sometime in 2008.

Yah, I originally thought that when they said weekly DLC for the first year of release that meant for 52 weeks straight, not just to finish up the year that the game releases in, a whole five flippin weeks. But, they've claimed they have so many plans about DLC I'm not worried. They probably just have the five weeks after release already licensed and planned out. I fully expect them to continue w/ DLC after that, hopefully weekly but maybe not...but I can see if they don't have their 'strategy' for 2008 releases nailed down yet.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want Pink Floyd.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I don't see why it's a big deal, the price of the game plus any of the individual instruments (except mic maybe) is close enough to the bundle that I can't imagine why someone wouldn't just buy the bundle instead. I mean if you can afford to spend $140 on a game you can spend $170 on a game.

Not to mention that precisely because of this decision, standalone products will probably be in high demand on your ebays...buy the bundle, recoup your losses...if you can handle that 170 upfront anyway...

This is exactly what I'm planning on. There's still a whole bunch of questions about cross-compatibility with guitars, but I have no qualms with buying the full RB package, then selling the Strat for like $50 locally (someone in NYC is going to want one). It's not an optimal solution, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much of an issue to me, but I guess I'm also used to buying/trading games online a lot.

Shit, considering I would want the game ($60), drums ($80, we're estimating) and mic ($10 to $15), I'm getting the fucking Strat for $15 to $20. I might just keep it at that point.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need my Hotel California.

need.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    I want Pink Floyd.

Explain how this wouldn't be incredibly boring. Which tracks, I mean. I've only heard Dark Side, which is supposedly their best work, and it just seems like they would be an awfully boring band to put on Rock Band.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want Queen.

Fixed for rocking. \m/

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want Pink Floyd.

Explain how this wouldn't be incredibly boring. Which tracks, I mean. I've only heard Dark Side, which is supposedly their best work, and it just seems like they would be an awfully boring band to put on Rock Band.

Well, no, most of the songs on Dark Side of the Moon wouldn't work, but if you look through their entire catalog, they have a fair amount of songs that would be fun to play, like Comfortably Numb, Money, Learning to Fly, and Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2, the one you hear on the radio), although I don't know how they would handle the sax on Money.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you guys want I could just copy/paste the current OP for a new thead, if nobody wants to make a long, detailed OP with pics and all the info and shit (currently it's just news stories mostly).

bruin on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need my Hotel California.

need.

So do I. Just that opening riff, to play it on guitar..man.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Any word on guitar compatibility yet? It would be sweet if I could use the gibson for rock band

Was just going to ask the same thing. Although I will be pretty sad when that awesome compatibility chart in the OP is out of date.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Because it didn't get enough love the first time I posted it:

Cake

Come on. Listen to Let Me Go or No Phone and then try to tell me that wouldn't be fun to play. Good guitar, amazing bass, interesting drums. Come on. Plz?:|

anable on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    anable wrote: »

Cake

Come on. Listen to Let Me Go or No Phone and then try to tell me that wouldn't be fun to play. Good guitar, amazing bass, interesting drums. Come on. Plz?:|

I've never heard these 2 songs, I must not have the album it's on. I'm a fan of their version of I Will Survive. It wouldn't be a hard song, but it'd be cool as hell to play.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, Cake has some really kickin bass going on. I myself would want Stickshifts and Safetybelts in.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ha! That's the song I just listened to. And right now listening to The Distance, and it'd be fun too. So many Cake songs would fit perfectly in Rock Band. Fun for all players.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Cake

Hell yes this game needs some Cake. The two bands I want to see the most that haven't been in a Guitar Hero type game yet, that I'd like to see in Rock Band, are Cake and The Offspring. As far as Cake goes, Ive always wanted to see Stickshifts and Safety Belts, though a fairly short song it'd be fun, Let Me Go is a good choice too, but I'm not familiar with No Phone, what album is that off of?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »

Cake

Hell yes this game needs some Cake. The two bands I want to see the most that haven't been in a Guitar Hero type game yet, that I'd like to see in Rock Band, are Cake and The Offspring. As far as Cake goes, Ive always wanted to see Stickshifts and Safety Belts, though a fairly short song it'd be fun, Let Me Go is a good choice too, but I'm not familiar with No Phone, what album is that off of?

Hi5 on Stickshifts and Safety Belts. No Phone is on Pressure Chief, which I think is their newest album.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Actually I know what this game needs. Long Line of Cars. They just need to do a Best of Cake album for DLC, they have too many good songs.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know Cake's radio singles, and while I love them and think it'd be fun to play the instrument parts, most of the vocals are pretty monotonal/almost spoken word, aren't they?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I know Cake's radio singles, and while I love them and think it'd be fun to play the instrument parts, most of the vocals are pretty monotonal/almost spoken word, aren't they?

The radio singles are. Most of their other songs aren't. Cake would be an awesome addition.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

The radio singles are. Most of their other songs aren't. Cake would be an awesome addition.
    Stick Shifts and Safety Belts would be a good addition I think. Though there are a number of points in the song where the Guitar player is just going to be kinda standing around.

Walk on by might actual be a song worth putting in. edit: Actually, after listing to walk on by again, I would welcome this song in as part of the game.

I donno, its kinda hard to say what Cake song would be good in video game form. I mean, I love cake, but trying to find a song that doesn't seem repetitive for guitar, base, and drums, seems kinda hard.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I haven't seen it posted here yet, but a thread has popped up on the official page saying that the display boxes that are up in Canada have two new songs listed on them. There hasn't been any kind of official word on it yet, and for some reason they can't seem to get a pic of it, but at least two seperate sources have caimed to see the same thing...the songs are:

"Next to You" by The Police
    "Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston

Not a big fan of the first one, but Foreplay/Long Time?!?! Damn near fucking epic right there.

I know it might all end up being one big hoax or some shit...but for what it's worth, the HMX community dude, Sean, posted in the thread and didn't discredit the whole thing, but also did not confirm anything, so...take it all with one large grain of salt.

Thread is here.

the Togfather on
    twit feed