Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm sure everything will work out in the end, so I'm not going to change anything.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    are there any parts of california that are good for growing rice in

is there any good reason to grow rice in the US at all?

like east asia is right there

Import cost are more than just growing. Regulation of what is in the rice. The fact the US has plenty of places that grow rice super well. It is called the Southeast.

The South we give shit to culturally is great for things like rice. Super wet, fertile soil with constant rain and lots of rivers. Lot of it is flat but you can do the step style as well in different parts. And a lot is empty because fuck living there.
    I thought I'd never say anything in its favour, but our agricultural political system does have the nice advantage that we can just go "don't grow rice there that's stupid", end of

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I want to complain about water and agriculture but the logical result of that would be me going vegetarian if I wanted to help on a personal level and that's annoying

:confused:

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    The problem I have with that Gizmodo is ... well actually, I have several. But anyway, the major problem I have with it is that it suggests that by focusing on almonds, we're missing the bigger picture.

That's not true. The simple fact is that people cannot be bothered to inform themselves when the subject seems overwhelming and complex.

It's true that California is responsible for a lot of agriculture. No one is saying they should stop growing food! What's being suggested is that they need to take a look at what they can actually grow on a sustainable basis. There's not enough water for what they want to do. That's all it comes down to. It doesn't matter what they're currently supplying, it doesn't matter how much money they're making, the only thing that is real and true right now is that there isn't enough water, and that the agriculture industry is by far the largest culprit.

As a species, we've proven that we can totally destroy an area by doing everything we can to reap the resources in the area for the largest profit possible. We're really good at that, we know. It's not impressive any more!

What would blow my fucking mind is if, for once, we decided there was another way.

I just think it's weird to frame this as california going off, doing their own thing, dumping water on the ground

as you point out it's pretty complex?

like if we think we should use our water more sustainably, then we should all eat fewer animal products and &c &c

but ultimately california is just providing the product that the rest of us are consuming, so acting like it's not our collective problem but rather california's irresponsibility seems odd

No, it is California's problem.

No matter how many (or few) Almonds I buy it will not make a bit of difference to how much rain falls on that state.

It is 100% California's problem because they are the ones who will suffer the consequences of the drought.

right, so california residents will bear the consequences for the rest of the country's consumption

but fuck them for growing our rice?

Yes.

If we ended up depleting our fish stocks, killing off one of our biggest exports after oil, we could not go "It's your fault for wanting all this fish! You made us want all the money you'd pay!"

it's up to California not to use more water than they have.

A big part of the problem with the drought is that there are bottled water companies in California that export massive amounts of their water. It would probably help if the rest of the country stopped buying Californian water, which really isn't something they have that much control over, barring telling the companies to fuck off which we know is never going to happen.

Couldn't California just tax the fuck out of water export? Why wouldn't they already be doing that?

no idea! But y'know, everyone can help. Droughts suck, especially when your state starts burning down and the government won't do anything about it as a result :(

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I guess what I'm reacting to is, this seems like an environmental problem to me

we all depend on this state to make us food, and they're (stupidly) obliging in a way that isn't sustainable

so the solution is to a) stop demanding those things that are unsustainable and b) for the state to switch to more sustainable crops

but it seems like this conversation is solely focused on b)

like, strip mining is shitty for the environment, west virginia should stop doing that AND we as a community need to look at our hunger for energy and devise a more sustainable solution

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Skippy I suppose in regard to your point too (We're all to blame, ultimately)

It objectively comes down to a) Stop wasting all your water to make more money, you're gonna die / ruin the place where you live! vs b) Hey can you guys stop buying the stuff we're selling you? We can't help ourselves from killing ourselves, so you need to stop us.

But neither of those things are gonna happen, and instead some level of government will take on some massive financial burden to perform, like, an ecological bailout of the state of California, because it's all too big to fail and we all rely on it, y'know?

• Options
    The problem I have with that Gizmodo is ... well actually, I have several. But anyway, the major problem I have with it is that it suggests that by focusing on almonds, we're missing the bigger picture.

That's not true. The simple fact is that people cannot be bothered to inform themselves when the subject seems overwhelming and complex.

It's true that California is responsible for a lot of agriculture. No one is saying they should stop growing food! What's being suggested is that they need to take a look at what they can actually grow on a sustainable basis. There's not enough water for what they want to do. That's all it comes down to. It doesn't matter what they're currently supplying, it doesn't matter how much money they're making, the only thing that is real and true right now is that there isn't enough water, and that the agriculture industry is by far the largest culprit.

As a species, we've proven that we can totally destroy an area by doing everything we can to reap the resources in the area for the largest profit possible. We're really good at that, we know. It's not impressive any more!

What would blow my fucking mind is if, for once, we decided there was another way.

I just think it's weird to frame this as california going off, doing their own thing, dumping water on the ground

like if we think we should use our water more sustainably, then we should all eat fewer animal products and &c &c

but ultimately california is just providing the product that the rest of us are consuming, so acting like it's not our collective problem but rather california's irresponsibility seems odd

No matter how many (or few) Almonds I buy it will not make a bit of difference to how much rain falls on that state.

It is 100% California's problem because they are the ones who will suffer the consequences of the drought.

right, so california residents will bear the consequences for the rest of the country's consumption

Yes.

If we ended up depleting our fish stocks, killing off one of our biggest exports after oil, we could not go "It's your fault for wanting all this fish! You made us want all the money you'd pay!"

A big part of the problem with the drought is that there are bottled water companies in California that export massive amounts of their water. It would probably help if the rest of the country stopped buying Californian water, which really isn't something they have that much control over, barring telling the companies to fuck off which we know is never going to happen.

Couldn't California just tax the fuck out of water export? Why wouldn't they already be doing that?

water export in the form of water bottles would can only account for vanishingly little

water export in the form of diverting rivers or pipelines that they just don't have

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I remember when they were like "there won't be anymore oil" and now they pay you to take a barrel of oil because there is so much. And there were times where I was like "they can't make the iphone any nicer. It's so nice already!" but look how nice the iphone 6 is. Science will always give us everything we need without requiring us to ever put in any effort.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Sorry future generations but I wanted beef
    Worse than hitler

(On this particular issue)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    are there any parts of california that are good for growing rice in

is there any good reason to grow rice in the US at all?

like east asia is right there

There are plenty of areas in the Deep South that can grow rice just fine (and have in the past, especially in South Carolina and Louisiana).

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I want to complain about water and agriculture but the logical result of that would be me going vegetarian if I wanted to help on a personal level and that's annoying

Can't I just eat meat and be a terrible being who feasts on suffering

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's both, really. But California has a very irresponsible system of government and ag usage in exchange for the short term dolla dolla bills.

This is the point where a legitimate Federal intervention should be undertaken, though. It'd be smart to have a nationwide agriculture rebalance to deal with the new climate realities we're facing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Yes.

no idea! But y'know, everyone can help. Droughts suck, especially when your state starts burning down and the government won't do anything about it as a result :(

symbolic fixes can be harmful.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    (Does bottled water actually have a significant impact on available water next to irrigating crops, etc)?

Bottling water? Not a whole lot. But you'd be surprised at just how much water is diverted out of local systems.

And then, how much of that water is just terrible in general.

Upstate NY has a classic example of this. All the steel mills in the area used to pump all their toxic waste into the water system, so much so that an entire lake (and streams connected to it) is pretty much unusable as a water system. So we import.

The rumor is the finger lakes supply a great deal of CNY's potable water, but I'm unsure, I think we get it from PA and other states.

Then you factor in how much water crops and livestock need. If California has cattle, that's probably where I'd look at first before anything really.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

we all depend on this state to make us food, and they're (stupidly) obliging in a way that isn't sustainable

so the solution is to a) stop demanding those things that are unsustainable and b) for the state to switch to more sustainable crops

like, strip mining is shitty for the environment, west virginia should stop doing that AND we as a community need to look at our hunger for energy and devise a more sustainable solution

It's far more difficult to make Joe Almondeater in New York know/care about the fact that he's desiccating California than it is to make Jane Almondgrower in California know/care about it.

Winky on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The real thing that is unforgivable is the existence of Las Vegas.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    It's both, really. But California has a very irresponsible system of government and ag usage in exchange for the short term dolla dolla bills.

This is the point where a legitimate Federal intervention should be undertaken, though. It'd be smart to have a nationwide agriculture rebalance to deal with the new climate realities we're facing.

why not just ask science to fix it for us and change nothing?

• Options
    I remember when they were like "there won't be anymore oil" and now they pay you to take a barrel of oil because there is so much. And there were times where I was like "they can't make the iphone any nicer. It's so nice already!" but look how nice the iphone 6 is. Science will always give us everything we need without requiring us to ever put in any effort.

peak oil was always bullshit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Can't I just eat meat and be a terrible being who feasts on suffering

You can of course - none of us is free of blame for causing suffering.

I drove a car to work today.

The important thing is to be active and interested in incremental changes wherever possible - meatless Mondays, navy showers, carpooling, etc.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If you really care about water use cheese is also very terrible in a "water per kg" calculation. Which makes the issue even worse.

Eat Northwestern european cheeses because I don't think there are significant clean water issues over here. (Rain+alp meltwater huzzah)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

Nothing to forgive. Everything that happens there stays there. Have you even seen a television?

• Options

SKFM the secret there is that actually we put in tons of effort to make those things happen.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I randomly worked at the dept of water resources in arizona for a while when I was an undergrad

hooo boy

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Why is this wildman doing these things?! Someone needs to dress up in an animal suit in order to lure him out, and then capture him and put him away.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Changes in technology allowed access to already known sources of oil that were at the time uneconomical to reach or refine.

It is different from watching water which is an even easier to track resource disappearing without magically untapped reserves based on technology.

We know how to get to water everywhere basically. Some places just don't have it.

I know you are from the East so it hard for you to imagine a world without a lot of water but those in the west grew up with it.

There is a reason a large chunk of the American west was at one time described as the Great American Desert.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Well, kinda, but not really. Me eating correctly priced almonds is not an issue, because by definition, it is sustainable for me to eat them. The problem is entirely California's fault for refusing to properly regulate the use of water.

Now, knowing they are terrible and should feel bad might change my behavior, but honestly, as long as any given crop is a worldwide export, even a relatively large cohort of people not buying it stateside won't make too big a difference.

• Options

SKFM the secret there is that actually we put in tons of effort to make those things happen.

Science did it. I didn't change anything. I drive my car just like I used to and the iphone in my pocket it better than the one before it, and I didn't do anything!

• Options
    We need a government backed energy policy. We haven't really had one since the whole Enron bullshit.

I think we need to get on renewables and nuclear like whoa. Our oil and coal dependence is going to hurt us in the next 40 years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Desc just ignore all collective action problems and eat what you want and let future generations suffer and feed this kitten to a python

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Yes.

It's actually not a big part. Like a lot of other things the number of gallons bottled sounds very large but it is very very tiny compared to agricultural uses.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Really we just need to start importing arctic ice -- that way it doesn't melt and raise the sea level and we make $$$

you're welcome

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

Science did it. I didn't change anything. I drive my car just like I used to and the iphone in my pocket it better than the one before it, and I didn't do anything!

Yeah, because we're fucking carrying this team!

Scrublords.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    bottled water sucks and is shitty and a drain on the environment, but water depletion is much lower compared to agriculture.

when in doubt, direct human consumption doesn't match industrial scale in/outputs on most subjects

eating beef is p. bad tho in efficiency terms

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Changes in technology allowed access to already known sources of oil that were at the time uneconomical to reach or refine.

It is different from watching water which is an even easier to track resource disappearing without magically untapped reserves based on technology.

We know how to get to water everywhere basically. Some places just don't have it.

I know you are from the East so it hard for you to imagine a world without a lot of water but those in the west grew up with it.

There is a reason a large chunk of the American west was at one time described as the Great American Desert.

But we'll end up with like cheap desalination powered by fusion or something and then we'll have all the water. That's my prediction. Science will solve the problem and life will go on.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Yes.

Republicans

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

why not just ask science to fix it for us and change nothing?

as4izYF.gif

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Really factory farming is the largest contributor to many modern blights.

Antibiotic resistance
    Water shortages
    Greenhouse gas emissions

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Now that Star Trek the Experience is gone I don't see any reason not to raze it to the ground

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    rice fields are all over the f'n place in the mississippi river delta

it is easy af to grow rice there

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.