Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I would be pretty pissed at the university and bill them $1000 for my time for needing to flip that switch.

Do you know God's mailing address? Storm season is upon us, I'd like to know where to send my invoices.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I would be pretty pissed at the university and bill them $1000 for my time for needing to flip that switch.

Yup. Be pissed all you want and bill the university, but don't sit on your ass and fuck over your co-workers because you're too proud to do your job and assess the problem.

• Options
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Management, "It lasted this long, I wonder how long we can let it go and use the money elsewhere."

Most likely it's because the duder isn't really emphasizing how much money they'd lose if the equipment fails in the sauna. If he goes "we need this $200 piece to fix the AC to save $25,000 worth of hardware and $10,000 worth of labor" this would probably change his tune completely.

I am not nearly so confident as you are about it merely being a matter of emphasis

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Management, "It lasted this long, I wonder how long we can let it go and use the money elsewhere."

Most likely it's because the duder isn't really emphasizing how much money they'd lose if the equipment fails in the sauna. If he goes "we need this $200 piece to fix the AC to save $25,000 worth of hardware and $10,000 worth of labor" this would probably change his tune completely.

I am not nearly so confident as you are about it merely being a matter of emphasis

Yeah it's most likely "oh we'll approve that soon"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

My university story was working at the help desk in 2001 and getting a ticket to replace a monitor for a music prof. The monitor was a $10,000 Apple monitor.

After that I don't feel bad about billing any university.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Lets play Spot the Problem:
    DJAAWuD.jpg

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    All the benefits of being able to say you 'have' a firewall, none of the headaches of actually configuring it!

• Options
    Bonus points if you can spot the second less obvious problem in the picture.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Where exactly does the grey network cord go after it leaves your modem? I can't spot any other grey wires anywhere in the pic. If that's all your networking equipment, how do you have internet access?

*Edit*
    Wait, is that a grey wire in the upper left corner? Does your modem plug directly into your switch?

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    Bonus points if you can spot the second less obvious problem in the picture.

You mean like the dust/scorching where the network switch is venting?
    Or is it the fact that there's all this rack mount gear on its side where you can't see the status lights?
    Maybe it's that the 'edge' router doesn't appear to actually be plugged into the modem at all, unless there another box out-of-shot?
    Could be anything really.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I thought the white cable just at the bottom of the shot comes from the modem and loops down and back into the edge router.
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Where exactly does the grey network cord go after it leaves your modem? I can't spot any other grey wires anywhere in the pic. If that's all your networking equipment, how do you have internet access?

*Edit*
    Wait, is that a grey wire in the upper left corner? Does your modem plug directly into your switch?

Yeah, what is that gray cable that goes from the modem and down the coax?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah sorry, there is another modem out of shot that the edge router plugs into. The modem in shot is just serving a POTS line.

The switch isn't plugged directly into any modem.

There is some rear ventilation on the switch in the picture, well there is supposed to be, if it wasn't for an entirely pointless piece of wood being in the way. It probably doesn't need it per-say but...

Draygo on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm gonna go with the direct connect from your edge router to your network switch, bypassing the firewall entirely.

Aside from that, take your pick of any of the cabling.

Cog on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I would guess the problem is that this is every small business network everywhere. I suppose that one errant edge router to switch connection could be some weird special case VLAN'd port that's segegrated from the rest of the network. I suppose. I'd probably be wrong.

• Options
    Yeah that would've been my guess.

But I would not have been surprised if it was just "we can't do internet things, plug in the special cable" and then someone just... never unplugged it.

There was a piece of vendor equipment I had to do something similar with in regards to VLAN.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I would guess the problem is that this is every small business network everywhere. I suppose that one errant edge router to switch connection could be some weird special case VLAN'd port that's segegrated from the rest of the network. I suppose. I'd probably be wrong.
    Or some kind of DMZ setup.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    So it's less of a Firewall and more of a slightly-smoldering-coal-in-a-disued-firepit-wall

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I do like how the plug of the network switch is hanging straight down so the full weight of the cable is being taken by the connection from the power cord to the switch's power supply. Hope it's not loose.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Is it odd I'm exited that I just ordered 200 or so 'thin' ethernet cables so I can recable my racks here at my office? Going from 7 footers to these thinner cables at 3' and 5' for my 4 local switches and 2 routers.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it is odd. Recabling racks is right up there with "anything to do with printers" as my least favorite activity.

I mean I get it. It'll be nice when it is done. But man I hate doing stuff like that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yea, I mean it's not on my fun list. It is on my 'do this before the other guy retires and it's just me doing it by myself' list.

• Options
    The only thing I hate is when servers put their cables on the left, then all of a sudden there's 2 or three that put them on the right.

I even had one where it was right in the middle.

• Options
    The only thing I hate is when servers put their cables on the left, then all of a sudden there's 2 or three that put them on the right.

I even had one where it was right in the middle.

Management arms serve to make it uniform.

• Options
    I just used some velcro and made loops on both sides and wired it up that way.

Two battery backups on the bottom, a network switch on top. There's only three wires coming out of the rack. One for the switch, and two for the power.

Mobile rack too. So, theoretically, I could move it into another room if I wanted.

I should do that, actually, because they're really loud.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Client: "Hey man, my (network) alarm panel isn't connecting to your receivers any more. Did you make any changes or anything?"

Me: "No, sorry. I haven't made any changes. Maybe it's an internet issue?"

Client: "Well everyone else's internet is working. My old monitoring company said they can check to see if they're getting anything from a specific IP. If I give you the IP, can you check?"

Me: "Sure we can try it. What's the IP?"

Client: "169.254...."

*e*
    I feel for the guy. He's super nice, but not a network guy. The onsite network guys told him everything was just fine and it should be working. Someone needs to slap them upside the head.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This is absolutely bizarre but we run the internal CMS' for several large cities ( and do their web hosting etc) Yesterday at 4 am the main server for one just ate it's D: drive, no disk issues, no errors in vsphere, logs show no one was logged into it, nothing was running, it just ate itself =/ I hate computers

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I do like how the plug of the network switch is hanging straight down so the full weight of the cable is being taken by the connection from the power cord to the switch's power supply. Hope it's not loose.

Don't worry, ill be fixing them all up.

And no, there are no vlans Nosf. And they do have an IP block going to the edge router, which is DMZing 2 external IP's to internal computers. Ill be rerouting everything through the firewall and only opening ports the company needs. And ill probably clean up the wiring a bit, and fixing problems gravity could eventually cause.

The more unfunny thing is their backup was configured to do incremental backups only after its first initial full back up, in april, of last year. :confused:

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I am currently on the phone with our phone provider

They block our international phone calls every month or so as "part of their anti-fraud measures", and are claiming that it cannot be turned off.

I am going to school these idiots on Australian Consumer law

• Options
    This is absolutely bizarre but we run the internal CMS' for several large cities ( and do their web hosting etc) Yesterday at 4 am the main server for one just ate it's D: drive, no disk issues, no errors in vsphere, logs show no one was logged into it, nothing was running, it just ate itself =/ I hate computers

I stand by my "high functioning drunk" statement.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I dislike Symantec Backup Exec

and backup in general

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    ShadowProtect is pretty alright, though its ability to be managed across many clients even with Kaseya is inadequate. If I had one network to manage it would be a breeze.

• Options
    Most Symantec products are trash, though, I think we can agree.

• Options
    That Symantec products are trash is not something we need to agree on. It is something that is simply understood

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Bah. Replication errors in Active Directory.

DC1 can replicate from DC2 but DC2 can't replicate from DC1.

Edit:

Finally fixed it. Something was off on the DNS.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am currently on the phone with our phone provider

They block our international phone calls every month or so as "part of their anti-fraud measures", and are claiming that it cannot be turned off.

I am going to school these idiots on Australian Consumer law

how the fuck.

So guys we have an international wire fraud problem, lets solve it by turning it off for a few days each month - for everyone.

Yep?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Came in at 7:30 for the HVAC repairs, which consisted of the contractors constructing their own piping after totally scrapping what we had. Apparently the initial installers of our HVAC system used cast iron elbows, which rusts and then dirties the water. They also never put in a water filter, which corroded the coils and destroyed compressor after compressor. So after 6 days, it's finally done. Then had to replace a motherboard after hours, which we ran into issues where the mobo defaulted the HDD configuration to something non-RAID, which was freaking me out. Got that figured out, then the backup drive shit the bed. Finally finished that.

After over 11 hours, I'm finally walking away... Days like this, your employer should buy the first round

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    The thing I like about the VMWare Web Client Integration Package is that it doesn't fucking work no matter how many times I install it

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    ShadowProtect is pretty alright, though its ability to be managed across many clients even with Kaseya is inadequate. If I had one network to manage it would be a breeze.

Have you tried: https://www.storagecraft.com/products/storagecraft-shadowcontrol

• Options
    rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    I love it when our corporate attorney has me perform some tasks for him and 2/3's of the way through he mentions he'll probably have to have me sign an affidavit. What? No thanks.

This discussion has been closed.