As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harvest Moon: Truly A New Beginning [3DS]

18910111214»

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Bah, stupid eShop update schedule. Wish things just released at midnight, I want to get my farm on!

Being the last day of the month means my workload is super light, but the game is being delivered to my house.

Should have had it sent to the office!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    echo village never really had a small town feel to it. I didn't like that there weren't many people in it for a long time, and that people were so spread out over 2 town screens, 3 wilderness screens, and 3 farm screens. it never really had the same feel that rune factory 4 did where the town was only 1 screen. so I'm glad they dropped the town building part.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Damn i almost forgot about Story of Seasons.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Wow. Farming 3x3 plots instead of individual squares really changes things. My first harvest I had 72 turnips! This will take some getting used to.

Got thru the tutorial week last night and played a few days. So far liking what I see, except that your farm is a bit far from town (and you ship everything at the depot, in town). I'm hoping the Horse riding stalls act as some kind of fast travel system eventually.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait...they sped up harvesting? Interesting.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wait...they sped up harvesting? Interesting.

Yeah. After who knows how many years of playing these games it kinda messes with me, but I like it. Feels like you can do a lot more this way.

You take your hoe and find a spot. With the Old Hoe you start with it takes 5 swings and BAM, 3x3 plot. 1 bag of seeds to plant all 9 squares on your plot. Your watering can you press and hold A for a bit and then the whole plot is watered.

When it comes time to harvest you press A and all 9 plants come up out of the ground and hop into a chest, you press A again to pick the chest up.

Neat system. Not sure yet what effect better tools have.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I should be able to upgrade my old hoe (giggle) soon, so I'll let y'all know!

The one thing I don't like is that I can't ship every day. It's going to be like a week before I can get money again... and my new cow just pooped and I don't have the money to buy a rake.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    They give you the free cow, but no pitchfork. My barn was FILTHY by the time I was able to get the 5 iron i needed to make one.

On the downside, I shipped a bunch of crops at the end of Spring and stockpiled 10k gold/money. Summer 1 I head to the shop and find.....a single bag of seeds for sale.

:bigfrown:

2 more days before my vendor shows up, so I'll have to hope the General store has more seeds tomorrow.

Edit: Whew. Otmar had 5 bags this time. I still want more, but it's better than 1!

Bonepart on
  • Options
    I suppose I could avoid the cow flith by pushing the cow out the door and then back in the barn every night, but I refuse to ever let my animals outside until I get the dog who does it for me. I am way too lazy/busy being a badass fish-diver for that nonsense.

• Options
    It's pretty awesome that you can cut down trees and bust up boulders with your crappy tools. It just takes a couple of days.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    We need more Story of Seasons talk!

For those not playing but interested in some of the mechanics of the game:

The town is 4 screens away from your farm. This is a little bit of a pain, but they put Horse Riding stalls on a number of the screens so you can call your horse freely. Also, having carrots in your bag acts as the fast travel option. You can burn a carrot at a stall to fast travel to the town or straight to the depot, or back to your farm.

You also get the horse pretty early. You just need some diamonds milk.

Bonepart on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't really played any Harvest Moon games before, but this looks promising, and I have a big trip home this weekend.

I may have to pick this up before I hop on the train.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I've seen a few videos, is the framerate really as shocking as they seem to show? I get that it's a 3DS game, but it looks crazy choppy.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    How much of the town building from A New Beginning does Story of Seasons have? Looking back I think the town building is what made me lose interest in that game so fast.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Reddaye wrote: »
    How much of the town building from A New Beginning does Story of Seasons have? Looking back I think the town building is what made me lose interest in that game so fast.

There is no town building in SoS. I think you can decorate a few plots later on, but the town is all built already.

House and farm building are still in.

As for framerate... I guess it's probably choppy, but it's Harvest Moon. I think the last HM with a decent framerate was probably Mineral Town.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »

There is no town building in SoS. I think you can decorate a few plots later on, but the town is all built already.

House and farm building are still in.

As for framerate... I guess it's probably choppy, but it's Harvest Moon. I think the last HM with a decent framerate was probably Mineral Town.

Without the town building I may pick this up.

Hopefully it can overcome my HM64 lovefest. I've had a hard time finding a Harvest Moon game that does it for me to the level that HM64 did. ANB in particular felt like it was trying to do too much.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Animal Parade for Wii is still my very favourite.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    My first and therefore favourite HM was easily FOMT.

Should I grab SoS?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I guess it depends on what you liked about FOMT. SoS has done some nice things with farming, so it's more about your big plans than picking individual crops (you basically work with the full 3x3 grid at once, and you can harvest the whole grid in one go). The villagers are generally pleasant, though their lives don't seem as complex as the folks in FOMT. On the upside, villager events aren't missable anymore like they were back then. There's a better-than-usual selection of bachelors if you care about that.

Be warned that SoS starts veeeery slowly. I'm still working through the startup doldrums before more shops in my trade area open up. There's a big emphasis on trade in this game, which will be pretty cool once it gets going, but it makes the early game a bit sparse.

Oh, and if you like animal husbandry, there's a TON different livestock in this game... but it will require patience to open up the most interesting options like zebu and araucana (I don't even know what an araucana is, but the guides tell me it's a thing!).

Also, if you love the Giant Mine of Doom in early HM games, that's no longer a thing, either. If you hated it, you'll be glad to know that mining is highly simplified now.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    HM DS had the greatest Giant Mine of Doom. There were 4 mines of increasingly larger size, the biggest of which was 65535 floors deep.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    On one hand, I miss the Giant Mines of Doom, but then I think of the water spouts... the horrible horrible water spouts...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my response to mining in fotm was a big fat "noooope"

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    oh balls it's TBA in EU/AU.

well guess it's Rune Factory 3 instead! Only like 2 years after it came out

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah anything published by XSeed/whatever they're called now is completely up in the air as to whether it even gets a PAL release. I just use an american 3DS nowadays, the game are cheaper anyways.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    All in all I'm liking Story of Seasons. It does have some weak areas though.

Unlocking more Merchants is interesting, but you never know how exactly to do that. Plus all the merchants spreads out the goods, making it a bit of a pain to find what you are looking for.

I'm in Spring of Year 2 now, and have 4 Merchants coming to the depot. Found several of the girls interesting, but ending up giving a ring to Iris :biggrin:

Made just over 600k G in my 1st Year :+1:

Bonepart on
  • Options
    For all but the last two merchants, you just have to ship lots of goodies.

All merchant unlock requirements, for the interested:
    Cabin Country, ship 100.000 G and has to be summer 1.
    Sakura Country, ship 200.000 G and has to be fall 1.
    Wheat Country, ship 500.000 G and has to be fall 1.
    Rose Country, ship 1.000.000 G and has to be fall 1.

For the last two, it's complicated. See the fabulous Ushi No Tane guide at: http://fogu.com/sos1/basics/difficulty-modes.php

Anybody who hasn't started yet: Play on Seedling difficulty. It pretty much just makes the game less tedious. You still have to haul ass to win crop conquests and such.

Speaking of which, I love getting up in the morning and seeing, "Today is the day of your conquest," like I'm about to engage in gladitorial combat, not pick enough onions to out-ship my opponents.

• Options
    For all but the last two merchants, you just have to ship lots of goodies.

All merchant unlock requirements, for the interested:
    Cabin Country, ship 100.000 G and has to be summer 1.
    Sakura Country, ship 200.000 G and has to be fall 1.
    Wheat Country, ship 500.000 G and has to be fall 1.
    Rose Country, ship 1.000.000 G and has to be fall 1.

For the last two, it's complicated. See the fabulous Ushi No Tane guide at: http://fogu.com/sos1/basics/difficulty-modes.php

Anybody who hasn't started yet: Play on Seedling difficulty. It pretty much just makes the game less tedious. You still have to haul ass to win crop conquests and such.

Speaking of which, I love getting up in the morning and seeing, "Today is the day of your conquest," like I'm about to engage in gladitorial combat, not pick enough onions to out-ship my opponents.

I LOVE Ushi No Tane. I use it for all things Harvest Moon, but somehow I missed the vendor information for Story of Seasons. Thanks for the info!

• Options
    Yeah, the vendor info is in the "difficulty" section, and the early vendor info was in the forum. Took me a while to track all that down when I was wondering how to get more than one vendor to show up. :)

• Options
    One more largely undocumented but very helpful thing: stand next to somebody and press the left shoulder button to see what they think of you. Prepare to see a lot of angry squiggle animations.

• Options
    elfgirlelfgirl Registered User new member
    I really loved Tree of Tranquility. I spent a gazillion hours on that thing.