HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY OF VISIBILITY

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Allosexual sounds like a cheeky Cockney greeting

irwWy9t.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

irwWy9t.jpg

Hey.

No more of that.

Discontinue this sub topic in this thread.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    New proposal: pity fucks don't count toward your virginity. Nor do pressure fucks, rapes, grudge fucks, makeup fucks or any kind of sex with cis men.

This bill has already passed in the house and is awaiting approval by the Senate subcommittee for hahaha fuck you and your patriarchal social constructs. shit's not up for a vote, you cracker ass losers.

Ugh.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    New proposal: pity fucks don't count toward your virginity. Nor do pressure fucks, rapes, grudge fucks, makeup fucks or any kind of sex with cis men.

This bill has already passed in the house and is awaiting approval by the Senate subcommittee for hahaha fuck you and your patriarchal social constructs. shit's not up for a vote, you cracker ass losers.

Ugh.

Sorry if that might have been triggering

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't get the point of allosexual. We're asexuals because we lack sexual attraction to people, at the broadest term without getting into the various types we can fall under. Wouldn't that then make everyone else just sexuals?

yeah but then a person who is sexually attracted to other people is a sexual which sounds too close to the opposite thing!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't get the point of allosexual. We're asexuals because we lack sexual attraction to people, at the broadest term without getting into the various types we can fall under. Wouldn't that then make everyone else just sexuals?

yeah but then a person who is sexually attracted to other people is a sexual which sounds too close to the opposite thing!

Or its not for allosexuals to worry about because it's not their word.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

So it's like the amish calling everyone who isn't amish "english" regardless of their actual background?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I feel like "we have a word for you and you don't get a vote on how to feel about it because it's our word for you" is not really a....good path to go down?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And yet majority groups have been doing that since the absolute arse-end of forever.

• Options
    we've already been down that path a million times

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I mean unless you're saying it's okay for a minority group to come up with its own term for referring to the majority of whatever relevant demographic.

...yeah actually I don't guess I'd have much right to complain about that.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It might be because I fall under the aromantic asexual label, so I'm not only flying in the face of biology but also society and psychology, but I don't see the need to make a new label for the majority. They are sexual, I am asexual. The distinction has already been made, because when's the last time I've called anyone a sexual?

• Options
    Because "sexual" has a load of other unwanted connotations?

• Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    And yet majority groups have been doing that since the absolute arse-end of forever.

And this makes it OK? Two wrongs make a right?

• Options
    I don't know straight people seem okay with straight, which was invented by gay people

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Cliff wrote: »

Two wrongs that you might think are equivalent could vary in magnitude to such a degree that one doesn't register as an inconvenience and the other is a constant debilitating presence.

c.f. The racial slur of your choice and "cracker".

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Cliff wrote: »

Do we really need to have this conversation again?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey if you wanna call me an allosexual then that is A OK since that word is pretty damn cool.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I think my main hangup on that particular label is I see allo and think "allomancer" because of Mistborn.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm fine with the more under-represented group coming up with a classification for the larger group.
    Like Cis.
    E: Actually Cis probably came from Cis people.

My first thought when seeing "Allosexual" was translating the first part from French to English, which made me giggle a bit.
    I am most likely a "Hello Sexual"

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Nija wrote: »
    There was a Sex Nerd Sandra podcast recently about Asexuals. It was a group of people from a local college after an awareness meeting. Most of the people refer to themselves as Ace. They refer to non-asexuals as Allosexual.

The podcast was a little difficult to listen to just because there are like 6 or 7 people that SNS ends up talking to and there are only two mics.

Huh, that's the first time I've seen the word allosexual

Wikipedia says that prefix allo is latin for other? Seems like an awkward term

apparently allosexuel is the quebecois equivalent of "queer" and some quebecois people object to its appropriation in english

but "allosexual behavior" or sex with other people has also been used as an antonym to "autosexual behavior" or masturbation in sex studies, that doesn't really map to the not-asexual sense of the word though

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm not too worried about minority groups coming up with names for the categories I inhabit, since I feel like minorities have a much better track record of not being dicks about the names they choose than the majority does.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I'm not too worried about minority groups coming up with names for the categories I inhabit, since I feel like minorities have a much better track record of not being dicks about the names they choose than the majority does.

"Gold Star Lesbian"
    "Femme"
    "LUG"
    "Breeder"

And if you want to be really subtle,
    "Bi-sexuality"

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Nija wrote: »
    There was a Sex Nerd Sandra podcast recently about Asexuals. It was a group of people from a local college after an awareness meeting. Most of the people refer to themselves as Ace. They refer to non-asexuals as Allosexual.

The podcast was a little difficult to listen to just because there are like 6 or 7 people that SNS ends up talking to and there are only two mics.

Huh, that's the first time I've seen the word allosexual

Wikipedia says that prefix allo is latin for other? Seems like an awkward term

apparently allosexuel is the quebecois equivalent of "queer" and some quebecois people object to its appropriation in english

but "allosexual behavior" or sex with other people has also been used as an antonym to "autosexual behavior" or masturbation in sex studies, that doesn't really map to the not-asexual sense of the word though

The quebecois object to everything about english though.

I did see the french thing when poking around but I didn't read much about it that is a neat little factoid

But yeah it doesn't map perfectly, especially when the opposite of the a- prefix is just not including the a-

Maybe av- (desire) or one of it's variants would work better? avsexual/avasexual/avarsexual don't speak very well in english though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

And even if they are a dick about it, it kinda goes back to the whole concept of punching up.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

"Gold Star Lesbian"
    "Femme"
    "LUG"
    "Breeder"

"Bi-sexuality"

Stilts said better track record

not "MINORITY GROUPS CAN NEVER SHOW DICKISH BEHAVIOR"

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    The point is that the track record really isn't all that great.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    When you get down to it, not having a word for allosexuals makes you the default. Just like not having a word for cis people. In asexual circles and trans circles, allosexuals and cis are not the default and you never will be. Get over it.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

ha ha ha ha

you're funny

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

irwWy9t.jpg

Hey.

No more of that.

Discontinue this sub topic in this thread.

Sorry :(

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    When you get down to it, not having a word for allosexuals makes you the default. Just like not having a word for cis people. In asexual circles and trans circles, allosexuals and cis are not the default and you never will be. Get over it.

Ooooooh

Okay yeah that clicked, my bad.

• Options

Really, any attempt to deny a label that a minority group has made up for you is an attept to remain the default, insinuate yourself into that group, and appropriate it.

Dont be that person.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

ha ha ha ha

you're funny

Some things are funny because they're true.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Metalbourne was warned for this.

ha ha ha ha

you're funny

Ignore narbus. Hes a troll with just enough street cred as a cis gay guy that he feels like an expert on these things.

Tube on
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm not doing it justice, but the reasoning was along the lines that they did NOT want the groupings to be "Asexuals" and "Normal". Because that means asexuals are deviants and that's bad.

I would advocate listening to the podcast. Sex Nerd Sandra is sex positive, talks about her social anxiety especially as it pertains to sexual situations, and I've been learning a lot about different kinks.

Edit
    Oh MB said it much better.

Nija on
    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

"Gold Star Lesbian"
    "Femme"
    "LUG"
    "Breeder"

"Bi-sexuality"

You do understand the MASSIVE power difference between majority groups and their ability to realise their prejudice into actual discrimination and minority groups being able to realise their prejudice into discrimination.

And also that being on the receiving end of endless years of that discrimination gives you every right to be angry, and to be angry with those oppressing and discriminating against you.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    It's not even like allosexual is a slur or anything.

broken image link
  • Options

ha ha ha ha

you're funny

Ignore narbus. Hes a troll with just enough street cred as a cis gay guy that he feels like an expert on these things.

noted

let's talk about something else, then

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    It's not even like allosexual is a slur or anything.

Its not. The offense is in the removal from the top position. People get scared when they realize theres a place where theyre not in charge. Once theres a name for you, that name can be cursed. It can be prefaced with any number of negative adjecyives. Dirty white boy. It can be turned into the butt of a joke. Middle classhole. And it can be used to dismiss you entirely. Pfft, wasps.

Nope. Its not nice for people to say that, but whats even less nice is not allowing our language to be changed where it can be expressed by all groups equally.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Botznoy wrote: »

"Gold Star Lesbian"
    "Femme"
    "LUG"
    "Breeder"

"Bi-sexuality"

You do understand the MASSIVE power difference between majority groups and their ability to realise their prejudice into actual discrimination and minority groups being able to realise their prejudice into discrimination.

And also that being on the receiving end of endless years of that discrimination gives you every right to be angry, and to be angry with those oppressing and discriminating against you.

I understand that it always starts this way. It started in the gay community this way, as expressing frustration, and once being both cis and gay became more accepted, it started being a way to express solidarity with the majority. It's why racism, misogyny, and transphobia pop up in the gay male community so often, despite the gay male community also being a minority. Gay men are so close to not being "them" that they'll throw someone else under the bus to prove how much they aren't "them".

Once you've trained yourself to be an asshole, under the pretense of it being "okay" since you don't have power, you don't forget how to be an asshole once you get power. What tends to happen is you ramp up the asshole to maintain that power. Just like so very many groups have ramped up the asshole before now.

ha ha ha ha

you're funny

Praise from Ceasar...

Narbus on
This discussion has been closed.