Options

I'm a OLD [Witcher Thread], no longer in use. post in the new one.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Every time I've tried to fight a ?? it has one shot me so gonna go with "level fergeddaboutit" for all the points.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    More Witcher the First:

The sex and violence in the game has been pretty tame for the most part, even though I remember hearing stuff was censored?

Then I met the dryad.

Well that sure as hell isn't fucking censored.

I love when you get the droopy model bug when you talk to the dryad. Her boobs stretch into infinity.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    so I'll just be vague to avoid any sort of spoiler, but there's a quest where an NPC asks you to surrender your swords while you talk to their leader. If you do that, Geralt literally surrenders his swords and any swords in his inventory.

But I guess they're just super literal, because the two or three unique axes that I had sitting in my inventory stayed there and they didn't bother to take them, which was both handy and funny when negotiations went south.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so I'll just be vague to avoid any sort of spoiler, but there's a quest where an NPC asks you to surrender your swords while you talk to their leader. If you do that, Geralt literally surrenders his swords and any swords in his inventory.

But I guess they're just super literal, because the two or three unique axes that I had sitting in my inventory stayed there and they didn't bother to take them, which was both handy and funny when negotiations went south.

I set them on fire and punched them to death while they screamed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oops. I upgrades my pants without looking at the level requirement.
    So now I have no pants. Fortunately I only need to do a couple of poi somewhere to level to where I can once again wear pants.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just fought that forktail! What a fantastic dance off if was too. He was 6 levels higher than me but I got him.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    It's a weird mechanic when you look at it really isn't it, this whole minimum level lark? I suppose the other alternative would be to let you wear them but you didn't get 100% of the bonuses until you achieved the correct level (e.g. wearing level 12 pants at level 6 and you only get half the armour etc.). Any games out there that already do this?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So now I have no pants. Fortunately I only need to do a couple of poi somewhere to level to where I can once again wear pants.

Right after the prologue you get some sweet towel wear.
    Apparently if you take those off, drop them on the floor, and pick them up again, the game no longer takes them away afterwards.

In case of emergencies / cutscene hilarity.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    It's a weird mechanic when you look at it really isn't it, this whole minimum level lark? I suppose the other alternative would be to let you wear them but you didn't get 100% of the bonuses until you achieved the correct level (e.g. wearing level 12 pants at level 6 and you only get half the armour etc.). Any games out there that already do this?

You are not good enough to wear these pants, baby!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

Right after the prologue you get some sweet towel wear.
    Apparently if you take those off, drop them on the floor, and pick them up again, the game no longer takes them away afterwards.

In case of emergencies / cutscene hilarity.

I wish I'd known that, because I really wanted to keep that towel.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

How'd you get the griffin upgrade quest? I've completed the base quest line and crafted a full set, but haven't gotten the quest for the upgrades. Does it require another map?

Edit: never mind. I have all the maps already it seems. Looks like you have to actually read the maps now, whereas just purchasing them gave you the quests before. Wonder why they changed that.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    If I never have to go back to the swamp to see those crones it will be too soon.
    I don't think I've felt that unsettled in a while. Especially by the music.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Quical wrote: »
    If I never have to go back to the swamp to see those crones it will be too soon.

I really regret triggering that scene during broad daylight. I can only imagine how cool it would have been during a rainy night.

Vic on
  • Options
    Anyone done, or doing, Carnal Sins? This quest is pretty bad ass and I want to talk about it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I really regret triggering that scene during broad daylight. I can only imagine how cool it would have been during a rainy night.

Broad daylight in-game for me, night time in real life. Still damn creepy. The music of the swamps really adds to it in ways i can't explain. I feel on edge just thinking about it all. Jesus.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    So the latest patch has me running the game at 40+fps with everything ultra, including hairworks. Only thing I tuned down was shadows as i hadn't notice a big difference between high and ultra and water for teh same. Visible foliage was turned down too but that shit should be on high at max for everyone, it doesn't seem necessary. Hairworks is fabulous though, I think I can stick to sub 60fps for that.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Anyone done, or doing, Carnal Sins? This quest is pretty bad ass and I want to talk about it.

I did it!
    Apparently I didn't fully solve the case. Which frustrates me, because I thought I was quite thorough.

• Options
    What happens when you turn off automatic finishers? Do you lose the Kickass cinematic kills?

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    What happens when you turn off automatic finishers? Do you lose the Kickass cinematic kills?

No, they just require additional input and usually only happen under specific conditions. Like a critical hit on an Axii'd opponent from behind put the enemy in "finish him!" condition and then you hit square (or whatever).

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Ladies of the Woods is one of my favorite tracks on the soundtrack. It absolutely captures the frightening quality of that group.

I also love a game that has "I'm about to fuck you up. . ." music. When you're sword dangling or being hunted you know some shit is about to go down.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    metaghost wrote: »

I did it!
    Apparently I didn't fully solve the case. Which frustrates me, because I thought I was quite thorough.
    I think I solved it. I found the psycho priest guy torturing the girl in the brothel, and managed to find out that the coroner was behind it. I was already suspicious of the coroner after he claimed working in a morgue made him look young (yeah right mate), so I axii'd the priest guy into leaving and killed the coroner (who was a higher vampire). I haven't seen any new victims around, but I did find those notes scattered around the town. Maybe I should've killed the priest.

• Options
    On another note, where the blazes can I get more ekimmara hide? I need 2 more for potions and can't find any more ekimmara for the life of me. Already killed the one in Dragonslayer's Grotto, as well as the one in the mill. Only one of them dropped a hide, and there was a named one I killed in some elven ruins near a village that didn't drop one either.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I did it!
    I think I solved it. I found the psycho priest guy torturing the girl in the brothel, and managed to find out that the coroner was behind it. I was already suspicious of the coroner after he claimed working in a morgue made him look young (yeah right mate), so I axii'd the priest guy into leaving and killed the coroner (who was a higher vampire). I haven't seen any new victims around, but I did find those notes scattered around the town. Maybe I should've killed the priest.
    That's exactly what I did. I was suspicious of the priest since the doctor mentioned he'd had a thing for torture, but his mentioning that the coroner was his mentor and hadn't aged in 30 years made me suspicious of him instead. Then I saw that the blood was drained from victims, but nowhere to be found it made sense that the culprit was a vampire. The notes threw me off, but when I noticed the priest wasn't abiding by the same MO as the previous victims it confirmed my suspicions.

Thing is: I never figured out how the guy eluded capture after killing Ingrid Vengelberg. I searched everywhere and couldn't find him and his tracks abruptly ended in the middle of the courtyard. I was though he might've had a Doppler accomplice who assumed the form of a guard, but the quest made no mention of it at the end. It was very odd.

Though thinking about it now, he must've simply stealted like when I fought him.

That was one hell of a well written quest. Very reminiscent of the first game's style.

Everyone play it when you get the chance. I want kind of want to mention which secondary quest triggers it, but I'm not sure if that would constitute a spoiler itself.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Kiera Metz is why you do not throw your bone around to "help someone". this is an important life lesson.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Any news on when the console gwent bug is getting fixed?

Id really like to try playing it.

What's the bug? Only issue I've had is being unable to play Leaders weather powers sometimes.

When you pass it crashes the game completely.

Making the game literally impossible to play for people with the bug (such as myself)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Any news on when the console gwent bug is getting fixed?

Id really like to try playing it.

What's the bug? Only issue I've had is being unable to play Leaders weather powers sometimes.

Re-read the wording on those powers. It doesn't automagically generate that power, it only works if you have that weather card in your deck to play. (not your hand)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I am going with an alchemy build, and the idea that I have to go into the menu to use more than 2 potions is so awful that I'm considering respeccing... Bear in mind, I don't have many potions yet, I'm still early in the game. Is it really as bad as it seems like it will be?

Also, do you guys think there is there any chance that an official patch will come out to do something better with potions?

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    walnutmon wrote: »
    I am going with an alchemy build, and the idea that I have to go into the menu to use more than 2 potions is so awful that I'm considering respeccing... Bear in mind, I don't have many potions yet, I'm still early in the game. Is it really as bad as it seems like it will be?

Also, do you guys think there is there any chance that an official patch will come out to do something better with potions?

Decoctions aren't something you want equipped, as they last 30+ minutes. And Oils can't be applied during combat. So two potion slots is fine.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They're saying it's fixed in the incoming console patch, which has been in cert since lat week.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

You're allowing early game stats to affect your decisions for late game.

The potions themselves will gain additional charges and effects as you improve the potion itself. For example, the rank 3 Petri's Philter causes signs to always apply their special effect, i.e. burning. Now imagine that with a 3 minute duration from the passive potion duration bonuses from alchemy talents.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular

Decoctions aren't something you want equipped, as they last 30+ minutes. And Oils can't be applied during combat. So two potion slots is fine.

If you look at the alchemy tree, the changes to increase your toxicity insinuate you will be able to drink a lot more than two potions (I can already have two potions active at level 4 with no points increasing my max toxicity)

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options

Well oils can't be applied if you simply right click them buuuutt....

you can just drag and drop them onto your sword in the middle of combat and it works fine.

I think I've finally entered the "holy fuck alchemy is overpowered" portion of the game. I can easily take on enemies 7 levels above me without breaking a sweat on Death March, now that I have superior oils, superior potions and crazy decoctions. I also have an absurd amount of health due to green mutagens (with the +50% mutagen skill) and the vitality buff with decoctions. Is there a masterwork level of alchemy stuff like there is with witcher gear? I met a "master alchemist" and made him teach me, but he only had the recipes for some superior stuff and that was about it.

• Options

If you look at the alchemy tree, the changes to increase your toxicity insinuate you will be able to drink a lot more than two potions (I can already have two potions active at level 4 with no points increasing my max toxicity)

Yeah, I can have two decoctions and numerous potions active (plus the bonus random effect I get for drinking a potion at no extra toxicity). It's insane. I destroy everything now.

• Options
    On console oils cannot (to my knowledge) be applied during combat. There is no dragging and dropping of anything.

• Options
    cannot be on on pc either.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

One way or another, a Witcher game is gonna make your hate the swamp.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Ladies of the Woods is one of my favorite tracks on the soundtrack. It absolutely captures the frightening quality of that group.

I also love a game that has "I'm about to fuck you up. . ." music. When you're sword dangling or being hunted you know some shit is about to go down.

The soundtrack makes excellent use of string instruments in a way I don't think any game really has. Arcanum also used a lot of strings in its music to convey a sense of melancholy but cut away to something very different in tone in combat (plus couldn't really back up the sound with visuals). Having strings of some sort be in so many songs makes the fades from one to another feel more natural even as the tone shifts.

Decoctions usually have a toxicity rating of 80 and most have a base duration of 30 minutes. You'll pick up a lot of decoctions after you leave White Orchard. What the max toxicity talents really do is let you have a decoction and then use regular potions on top of that.

Alchemy feels like it has exponential growth among the build types but really is weaker early on. But you'll upgrade the durations of your potions by picking up upgraded recipes as you go on which then combine with your upgraded durations from talents to become really strong.
    Corpekata wrote: »

One way or another, a Witcher game is gonna make your hate the swamp.

I got a good chuckle out of Johnny offendedly asking if I had a problem with swamps.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    cannot be on on pc either.

They absolutely can, you just have to drag and drop them like I said. I used to do it quite a bit when I still had the initial oils with only 20 charges.

This discussion has been closed.