Options

Hatch Green [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Wait. Wasn't there a huge discussion at one point about how horribly old and shitty you were as a parent if you didn't have the courtesy of leaving your family alone while they played an online competitive game that involved the time of 9 other people?

So Belasco and other interrupters are the bag guys here right?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    in before blameless chews on her pillow while resting her head on a loaf of bread.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Just to be clear: I am also a gamer, it's not like I don't understand how much it sucks to be interrupted...omg interrupting me during a cutsceen I haven't seen before can be frustrating, but usually I just hold up a finger or say "gimme a minute" and all is well. I don't take people's heads off 'cause in the middle of a self-induced adrenaline high.

it's not the high

League is a competitive game. You are competing against the other team to decide who is best. A lot of times in competitive environments like these people will decide that yes, they care very much about being better than the other person at this game or sport or chess match, because I have attached some of my self-worth to how well I perform at this thing that is nominally for entertainment purposes only. And so, when you do not perform, you get upset because maybe your self-worth has been taken down a bit.

Plus the whole "I am letting my team down" when you are taken away from a game that can't be paused. These are powerful emotions because we're social creatures.

I'd almost say they were crucial to our early survival but I don't know enough about that stuff.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    wait belasco no

get them high as shit

they cant get salty at u if theyre blasted out of their gourd

imagine the peace that will reign in ur household

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    if you start mobas when you know you there is high risk of you getting interrupted (e.g: dinner in 40 minutes) you are a dumbass and can't complain
    otherwise i mean, it shouldn't be expected for them to drop what they are doing unless its an emergency but they shouldn't be rood about it

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    I wish I could just ban LoL from the house, but I don't have the energy for the explosion it'd cause. And, honestly, a lot of the time it isn't an issue. There's a rule in the house that one has to get permission from me before they start playing and that permission is only good for one game. That rule isn't always followed, but largely it is...still, I don't get it, I don't get wanting to dive into something that causes that level of intensity. And, I'll admit, that maybe I don't get it 'cause I was born with a vulva. *shrug*

I like the moving out angle, I'll go get a hotel room and blow the last of our savings while spool32 looks for work. We can just be a series of stereotypes and see how that works out! ;)

• Options
    I got into so many fights and almost fights playing sports as a teen and young adult

competitive atmosphere + young emotional people = explosions.jpg

• Options
    some of my worst fights with my wife from that era were from playing halo together cuz OMG HOW DID YOU MISS THAT ROCKET

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    wait belasco no

get them high as shit

they cant get salty at u if theyre blasted out of their gourd

imagine the peace that will reign in ur household

*hands scheck a 'parent of the year 2015 - forever' award*

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    if you start mobas when you know you there is high risk of you getting interrupted (e.g: dinner in 40 minutes) you are a dumbass and can't complain
    otherwise i mean, it shouldn't be expected for them to drop what they are doing unless its an emergency but they shouldn't be rood about it

It's not about dropping what they're doing, it's about the answer to questions like "Hey, where does this thing go?" and "Oh, hey, does anyone want the last x" not being answered in a format that causes massive fighting for days

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I wish I could just ban LoL from the house, but I don't have the energy for the explosion it'd cause. And, honestly, a lot of the time it isn't an issue. There's a rule in the house that one has to get permission from me before they start playing and that permission is only good for one game. That rule isn't always followed, but largely it is...still, I don't get it, I don't get wanting to dive into something that causes that level of intensity. And, I'll admit, that maybe I don't get it 'cause I was born with a vulva. *shrug*

I like the moving out angle, I'll go get a hotel room and blow the last of our savings while spool32 looks for work. We can just be a series of stereotypes and see how that works out! ;)

The dopamine surge you get when you succeed though! Imagine an orgasm that's powered by how strong you are.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    you aren't playing league or dota or hots at a competitive level

if you are playing a game that 50% of the time makes you depressed or an asshole, stop doing that to yourself

• Options
    Just to be clear: I am also a gamer, it's not like I don't understand how much it sucks to be interrupted...omg interrupting me during a cutsceen I haven't seen before can be frustrating, but usually I just hold up a finger or say "gimme a minute" and all is well. I don't take people's heads off 'cause in the middle of a self-induced adrenaline high.

it's not the high

League is a competitive game. You are competing against the other team to decide who is best. A lot of times in competitive environments like these people will decide that yes, they care very much about being better than the other person at this game or sport or chess match, because I have attached some of my self-worth to how well I perform at this thing that is nominally for entertainment purposes only. And so, when you do not perform, you get upset because maybe your self-worth has been taken down a bit.

...which is another thing, the last thing spool32 needs right now is to have his self-worth hit any more, it's pretty fucking bruised right now as it is

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It's just that the guys get super tense and if they're interrupted there's about a 70/30 chance they're going to respond, um, let's call it "unkindly". This has lead to many actual arguments, so I see LoL as a thing that has the potential to start fights in the house. So I want to kill it with fire and bleach.

This is how we get when we're under the effects of Adrenaline.

It's not personal, but we're basically in flight or fight mode.

Maybe set some boundaries on some game time being uninterrupted or something unless it's an emergency.

yeeeah, no. I'm not limiting how the house functions around a game. here's a recent example:
    spool15 asks spool17 (who is playing LoL) for confirmation that's it's really okay for him to borrow something right before leaving the house...spool17 jumped down his throat, huge fight ensued that lasted nearly a half hour.

spool15 is playing spool32 asks him to do the dishes when he's done with that game, spool15 says something shitty, spool32 grounds him from gaming...huge fight ensues, that one lasted nearly a week on and off

spool32 is playing, I have a migraine, the boys want to go to a friend's house since they have to tip toe around our place 'cause I'm near death - they tentitively go ask their father, much yelling later I'm puking my guts out and spool32 feels like an asshole for days.

Explain to me how a game that induces these reactions is fun?

HOW ABOUT YOU EXPLAIN HOW IT IS NOT FUN

o-oh

i see u already did. . .

• Options

It's not about dropping what they're doing, it's about the answer to questions like "Hey, where does this thing go?" and "Oh, hey, does anyone want the last x" not being answered in a format that causes massive fighting for days
    yes, I understand. I'm on your side here. I played dota all night every night for years but I was never a prick about it

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    everytime someone snaps go poop on their bed.
    except spool
    just clamp a car battery onto him while he sleeps

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I got into so many fights and almost fights playing sports as a teen and young adult

competitive atmosphere + young emotional people = explosions.jpg

the solution is end emotions

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Imagine an orgasm that's powered by how strong you are.

Oh wow, I'm so very sad right now.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    How do people fight for days? How do people have energy to fight for days? Over a video game. It's like cave-persons.

"You said words while me play game hit things unga mad!"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I have this opened up in separate tab today because it just has this emotional connection that I just can't explain.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/userpics/612/pUH0US3NOG0IN.gif

hi

i'm the

that's me

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    How do people fight for days? How do people have energy to fight for days? Over a video game. It's like cave-persons.

...are you an only child

• Options
    vibrating dolphin . jpg is a seminal piece of art

• Options

it's not the high

...which is another thing, the last thing spool32 needs right now is to have his self-worth hit any more, it's pretty fucking bruised right now as it is

well then he really should quit league

easy joke

i think almost feel bad

ok wait no that was just a fart

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

There is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from winning a game like that. I felt that feeling before in WoW pvp, but after a while it just became too exhausting and stressful. I'd rather just play a really immersive single player game these days, though on occasion I do miss PVP stuff.

• Options

The dopamine surge you get when you succeed though! Imagine an orgasm that's powered by how strong you are.

really? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly curious...it's that strong a high when you win?

• Options

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

h-how

• Options

this is a parent and teen fighting for days

I had fights with my folks that lasted over a month

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Wait. Wasn't there a huge discussion at one point about how horribly old and shitty you were as a parent if you didn't have the courtesy of leaving your family alone while they played an online competitive game that involved the time of 9 other people?

So Belasco and other interrupters are the bag guys here right?
    More like how naive and dumb it was to think that a video game is more important than real life, at any time. People leaving games... it happens. If it was so important, you should have scheduled it and made time for it, just like any other important activity.

You want to be given the courtesy of being an adult and all that etiquette stuff? Then act like one.

Randoms on the internet can suck it. Your rating doesn't matter, like, ever.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    speaking of playing video games all night i have to clock in my 2-3 hours

• Options

yes, I understand. I'm on your side here. I played dota all night every night for years but I was never a prick about it

yeah all those times your wife or your kid interrupted you for something you were the sweetest every time

• Options

this is a parent and teen fighting for days

I had fights with my folks that lasted over a month

We've had fights that lasted like... 3 month spans of time! you're not like, continually fighting, but any time a small fight happens it is related back to the central issue that you're both still pissed about, and it goes on until the core issue is actually solved and/or your anger about it peters out.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

it's not the high

it's also not pausable like a single player game, or drop in/drop out like some competitive multiplayer games (tf2, etc)

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Were mobas designed as like, an unethical social experiment

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I wanna make a MOBA about cardgames.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i have been fighting everyone i've ever met for 27 (soon to be 28) years

• Options

really? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly curious...it's that strong a high when you win?

when i win i just get a really smug look on my face
    and sometimes yell "fuck yo couch"

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

...are you an only child

Oldest of three.

All brothers, I'm thinking.

I've never been consecutively angry at my brother for more than 45 minutes.

• Options
    For example, when Spool17 gets bizarrely furious at Spool15 for asking borrow his things, it is because Spool15 went through a period of not asking, and then losing or breaking those things, and while '15 is trying to improve, '17 is not ready to bury the original hatchet.

• Options

depends on the person

for me it definitely is

I basically stopped playing competitive sports because I didn't like the person it made me

also cuz wife got the pregnants

This discussion has been closed.