Options

[Love] is...

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I feel the need to reiterate

I fucking hate dumping messages on people in the hopes of getting a response

It reminds me of fuckin job hunting, which is one of the most soul crushing activities I know of

Except somehow even worse because you're asking them to appraise who you are as a human being

"Hi my name is speed racer here's a funny joke can you please read these few paragraphs I wrote about myself and decide if you might conceivably be capable of loving me okay bye"

It's like every fucking part of the process is designed to agitate your anxieties

Anyway sorry I'm done dumping

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There's someone new on OkCupid in my area

They write in their profile that they love watching other people play video games and that they're dead serious about it

Sounds like a potentially good match

Platy on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Don't worry about getting a response. You're a funny guy. You'll get responses. Just be funny, guy.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I fuckkng hate dumping messages on people in the hopes if getting a response

It reminds me if fuckin job hunting, which is one of the most soul crushing activities I know of

Except somehow even worse because you're asking them to appraise who you are as a human being

"Hi my name is speed racer here's a funny joke can you please read these few paragraphs I wrote about myself and decide if you might conceivably be capable of loving me okay bye"

It's like every fucking part of the process is designed to agitate your anxieties

This is why I can't do tinder, It's the same deal with less information, and garuanteed proximity.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    [...] achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
    Man, the job-hunting thing is a great analogy. Like, the number one thing I get anxious about in social situations is striking up conversations with people I don't know. The one time I volunteered to assist in a fundraising cold-call I nearly had a panic attack. Hell, I lurked here for a long time before I started posting because I was freaked out about just saying "hey" to a bunch of strangers. I've had an OK Cupid account for a while and have yet to actually message anyone because I am scared to death of it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Small-talk really is a skill, some people are great at it. I think I'm okay at it? Working in retail helped a lot for me to be okay at talking to strangers. But yeah, its tricky!

• Options
    The weird thing is, I'm fine if it's in a professional setting. Cashier at the store asks me how things are going? I can comfortably chat about whatever while they're ringing me up. I've had long casual conversations with people I just met at work while waiting for something to load or run. But as soon as I'm outside of that comfort zone, I'm an absolute mess.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mm I can get that! I suppose I'm thinking of situations where I know what I'm talking about but yeah, dates it is not easy at all!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I've pretty well gotten over the anxiety of messaging people

Now it's just frustration as I see my list of sent messages grow and grow and grow while my list of received messages doesn't nude an inch

Which is what I meant when I said it feels like job hunting

Where you just keep posting your resumes places and hear fuckin nothing back and it starts to feel like you may as well just be shoveling them into a furnace

That much passive rejection starts to get to you at some point

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    I have a 100% answer rate

But I also don't send out many

• Options
    I've pretty well gotten over the anxiety of messaging people

Now it's just frustration as I see my list of sent messages grow and grow and grow while my list of received messages doesn't nude an inch

Which is what I meant when I said it feels like job hunting

Where you just keep posting your resumes places and hear fuckin nothing back and it starts to feel like you may as well just be shoveling them into a furnace

That much passive rejection starts to get to you at some point

I hope it's not rude to point out that Freudian slip, because I am giggling about it. Also don't worry about the rejection. I imagine most of the girls you're messaging get a lot of messages and might have trouble separating the worthwhile ones from the junk. I'm sure it's less an indictment of you as worth messaging and more an indictment of men as a gender because too many of us out there are being awful.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
  • Options
    I have a 100% answer rate

But I also don't send out many

Boy this sure helps the ol' anxiety.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Hey now that's not fair

He's just as entitled to talk about his experiences as you or me

This ain't the "cheer speed racer up" thread

• Options
    I maybe should note that the local user pool is also ridiculously small

And that none of these conversations were particularly successful!

• Options
    Every thread should be the "Cheer up Speed Racer" thread. Because you deserve to be happy, dude.

But that's true, sorry, Platypus. Can you teach us your secrets?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    and that is how a survey can lie to you!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I fuckkng hate dumping messages on people in the hopes if getting a response

It reminds me if fuckin job hunting, which is one of the most soul crushing activities I know of

This is why I can't do tinder, It's the same deal with less information, and garuanteed proximity.

See for me tinder made that a bit easier, because
    A- there's much less room for information so instead of agonizing over an essay about yourself you have no choice but to stick to a quick description and maybe a couple jokes
    B- literally every person you can message has looked at your profile and your pictures and thought "yes this is a person I'd be interested in at least chatting with"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    But that's true, sorry, Platypus. Can you teach us your secrets?

Uh, I guess my advice would be not to write generic messages! And not to comment on the profile picture unless you comment on something which is not immediately obvious.

I've mostly tried to establish some sort of common ground by commenting on things they mentioned in their profile and sharing my experiences with them. But I don't know how much my advice is really worth since none of these conversations went on for very long (I should mention that I also didn't have the feeling that anyone I with whom I had a conversation was a particularly good match).

• Options
    I guess instead of thinking about it as advertising yourself you should more look at it as chatting with people?

I've found and heard that there are indeed many people on the platform who are only there to have conversations

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    the answer.
    I guess instead of thinking about it as advertising yourself you should more look at it as chatting with people?

I've found and heard that there are indeed many people on the platform who are only there to have conversations

Ridiculous! Pft! What kind of weirdos go online to chat with internet strangers they don't know!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    When I had a profile, instead of following the proper format I filled up all those silly forms with charming laugh riot stories about how I am social inept!

And then I didn't message anyone!

Some very sweet ladies messaged me, though.

And I did not answer them.

I'm an online dating expert.

• Options
    I bet there's a whole host of people to whom the faceless nature of internet forums such as these is a huge turn-off

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    the answer.
    I bet there's a whole host of people to whom the faceless nature of internet forums such as these is a huge turn-off

I see your face right there. You're a sad dark haired person laying on their hands maybe? Chico is a blue animal thing. I'm flapjack. And Jay Kaos is godzilla. It's way more exciting than real life.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    These forums aren't faceless. Many of us have faces. I'm not sure where your face is from, but you certainly have one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    not enough.
    Liiya wrote: »
    Small-talk really is a skill, some people are great at it. I think I'm okay at it? Working in retail helped a lot for me to be okay at talking to strangers. But yeah, its tricky!

After so many years in ye old service industry, small talk is like breathing, it's pretty much a reflexive action. Opening up, however, is another matter.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    "hey man how you doing"
    "good good, I'm real glad to hear that"

that's all there is to it! unless they're not doing well in which case abort abort

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Nothing is worse then being trapped in a conversation with a Complainer.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

He says, complainering.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    not enough.

What about a Complainer That You Really Want to Have Sex With? That seems like a worse option.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

He says, complainering.
    IPPNJeE.jpg

• Options
    Please turn into the dance-off thread
    Please turn into the dance-off thread

Who wants to have a dance-off

Zonugal, you on board?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So I un-deleted my okcupid and filled it out in spite of myself.

If I wait until I feel like I'm ready to write positive things about myself or whatever I'm never even going to try so I figured I might as well try. Better to try 3 bajillion times and fail worse each time than to sit here and stew over it I guess.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    There are people here who would surely help you with your profile, Uriel

• Options
    I am anxious about showing it too to many people though

If anyone wants to look at it for me maybe PM or @ me? I still have to probably do or redo the questions section?

• Options
    I hear someone around here is, like, queen of OK Cupid critiques. Who was it? Munkus?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    pp6q1l7fk6y4.jpg

WHO HATH SUMMONED ME?

• Options
    Hello Liiya will you critique my okcupid thingy?

• Options
    Of course!!

Pm it to me either the url or name, I'm afraid I don't have one myself so you'll have to make it public if thats okay?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Whosoever summons Liiya must pay the Uvedale Price!

This discussion has been closed.