As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] America

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Also I was convinced that grilled cheese sandwiches were called "girlcheese sandwiches" for like half my life

We had two types of margarine in our house, the hard block kind and a soft spreadable kind.

My parents referred to the hard type as butter, and the soft type as margarine.

I didn't have butter until I was like 20.

child abuse

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Also I was convinced that grilled cheese sandwiches were called "girlcheese sandwiches" for like half my life

When I was a kid I'd watch my dad play colonization, but I misread some words and he found it too funny to correct.

It was a strange day when I learned that revolutionary guns were not "muskrats" and mounted soldiers were not "dragons."

They liked watching me play 'taxi game' when they were small, which was actually GTA3 taxi missions where I followed all the traffic laws.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

When I was a kid I'd watch my dad play colonization, but I misread some words and he found it too funny to correct.

It was a strange day when I learned that revolutionary guns were not "muskrats" and mounted soldiers were not "dragons."

They liked watching me play 'taxi game' when they were small, which was actually GTA3 taxi missions where I followed all the traffic laws.

People who don't immediately break the law in GTA are terrifying.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I had to remember where I 'borrowed' the taxi because they were upset if I didn't give it back when I was done.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

WAIT I DIDN'T KNOW IT WASN'T A REAL GAME? I thought the goal of the game was to obey the law! WAIT.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

You are a man of Iron Willpower

I'm not sure I'm even capable of following all the traffic laws in a GTA game

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bc

are you experiencing plato's allegory of the cave in real time

• Options

WAIT I DIDN'T KNOW IT WASN'T A REAL GAME? I thought the goal of the game was to obey the law! WAIT.

Haha no that was Grand Theft Auto. :)

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    fun fact: new research has discovered that the majority of kangaroos are left-handed

a whole new meaning of "south paw"

kangaroos have a scrotum that hangs above their penis too

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend any good books about like, American military history? Maybe the Marines?

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

People who don't immediately break the law in GTA are terrifying.

I hadn't driven a car when I first played GTA3 so, for whatever reason, I went at a reasonable speed, stopped at every intersection, and made proper turns.

Those shallow-looking things in the backyard are flower beds, I swear.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    fun fact: new research has discovered that the majority of kangaroos are left-handed

a whole new meaning of "south paw"

kangaroos have a scrotum that hangs above their penis too

they retract into their body during times of conflict also

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I thought the goal of the game was to obey the law!

spool this is so subversive on so many levels i just renounced anarchism

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    while making sure that last trivia fact what correct I added like 12 bestiality websites to my browser history and discovered that kangaroo penises look really spindly and weird.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

2oKPYQU.jpg

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    while making sure that last trivia fact what correct I added like 12 bestiality websites to my browser history and discovered that kangaroo penises look really spindly and weird.

So win-win all around

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend any good books about like, American military history? Maybe the Marines?

for the revolutionary war I would recomend "The American Revolution" by Bruce Lancaster

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    the rhetoric in the SC shooting thread is a funhouse mirror version of the charlie hebdo one

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

2oKPYQU.jpg

Yes, I DO want to eat gelato!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    the rhetoric in the SC shooting thread is a funhouse mirror version of the charlie hebdo one

Not only am I not going to visit that thread, I'm not even going to ask

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

the shooting was probably about ethics in gaming journalism

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

i know not how to respond to this

I will say that people ought not shoot other people no matter the reason

• Options

These're probably a bit more specific than maybe what you'd be interested in, but two good books on my shelf right now are:

"Benevolent Assimilation": The American Conquest of the Philippines, 1899-1903, by Miller

and Women on the Civil War Battlefield, by Hall

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Giant Bomb playing lockdown on repeat when their stream needs to take a break gets inexplicably funnier each time the song repeats. Apparently they've been doing this 3 years running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2FDPgvm2l0
    lockdown_poll.png

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Shattered Sword, Saigon Has Fallen, 19 Stars, Between War and Peace, The Forgotten Hero of My Lai.

• Options
    although if you only have 30 seconds, everything you need to know about the american military can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me9eVSe5uWk

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Yvan eht nioj

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Anything by Harry Turtledove.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Anything by Harry Turtledove.

Never, ever anything by Harry Turtledove.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    :)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Help

I just saw this and I can't even

Wouldn't you just use half as much? ??

TGYFCKWl.jpg

@Spool32 no, because then you'd get half the saltiness taste.

If you look at the bottle, it's a mixture of ionic compounds - sodium chloride and potassium chloride, rather than just sodium chloride. If you're trying to reduce the level of sodium in your diet, but have no issue with potassium, then you can get the same saltiness level for half* the sodium content.

*actually if it's a 1:1 mixture you'd need to add a little more than half as much, since apparently the perception of saltiness with potassium ions is 60% as strong as that of a same-molar solution of sodium ions but w/e

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Jefferson's War: America's First War on Terror

It's about how Europeans in the late 18th century were paying ransoms to Tripoli pirates and Thomas Jefferson said, "Nope. We're not going to pay. We're going to build a dry dock and some warships and America's navy is going to be formidable."

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Help

I just saw this and I can't even

Wouldn't you just use half as much? ??

TGYFCKWl.jpg

Spool32 no, because then you'd get half the saltiness taste.

If you look at the bottle, it's a mixture of ionic compounds - sodium chloride and potassium chloride, rather than just sodium chloride. If you're trying to reduce the level of sodium in your diet, but have no issue with potassium, then you can get the same saltiness level for half* the sodium content.

*actually if it's a 1:1 mixture you'd need to add a little more than half as much, since apparently the perception of saltiness with potassium ions is 60% as strong as that of a same-molar solution of sodium ions but w/e

Ok I got bored, a 50/50 mix would be 80% as powerful in terms of saltiness perception, so getting the same amount of saltiness requires 1.25 times the original amount by molecular number

Oh fuck but then we have to factor in atomic weight for mass and it's like midnight Shiv's Circadian Time (it is nine o clock Shiv's Location Time) so screw it

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    In Brazil, different employers often report different racial classifications for the same worker. We use this variation in employer-reported race to identify wage discrimination. Workers whose reported race changes from non-white to white receive a wage increase; those who change from white to non-white realize a symmetric wage decrease. As much as 40 percent of the raw racial wage gap is explained by the employer’s report of race, after controlling for all individual characteristics that do not change across jobs. The results are consistent with workers manipulating perceived race in an environment where racial classification is subjective, but discrimination persists.

hmm.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    so tired but not sleepy

why doesn't pre-cata wow still exist. that sounds pleasantly braindead right now

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Me: "Well, I'll be back on Saturday, see you guys later!"
    Incredibly pretty smart new volunteer gal "Aww, are you not coming in on Sunday? I'm only going to be here on Sunday..."
    My Mouth: "Oh, well actually I might come in for a while on Sunday as well, blah blah blah"
    My Brain: "Oh jesus christ, why do you keep doing this? Stop getting all derpy over every new pretty face you idiot!"

I'm srsly so dumb.

• Options
    My mom bought me some lipstick

I normally use really subtle stuff, so I just wipe it off on my wrist when I'm done

This uh, this apparently isn't a thing you can always do. Now I have twin shiny pink streaks down my arm.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    My mom bought me some lipstick

I normally use really subtle stuff, so I just wipe it off on my wrist when I'm done

This uh, this apparently isn't a thing you can always do. Now I have twin shiny pink streaks down my arm.

Live by the glam, die by the glam

• Options
    Let's say I am a healthy adult male. Is there any reason I shouldn't replace all my sodium chloride with potassium chloride?

This discussion has been closed.