As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam]: Her Story, told by Lethargic Corgis dreaming of their Final Fantasy.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Is the Sleeping Dogs Definitive edition just all the DLC? Do I need it over the base game?

It's remastered graphics, which don't have as big an effect on PC compared to consoles, plus all the DLC and better interspersing the secondary DLC throughout the main game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Is the Sleeping Dogs Definitive edition just all the DLC? Do I need it over the base game?

It's all DLCs and some visual changes like better lighting, fog, improved neon signs, etc. The original already looked pretty good and had a free High Resolution Texture Pack so the improvements from the Definitive Edition have a lesser impact.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Do we have any plans for some terraria-ing now that it's so easy to play coop?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I am taking my fourth automated training module at work today. My internal voice is now the text-to-speech guy. When I strangle everybody and go to jail, know that I had cause.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I am taking my fourth automated training module at work today. My internal voice is now the text-to-speech guy. When I strangle everybody and go to jail, know that I had cause.

I am amused beyond all reason at Geth's choice of responses to this post.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    New King's Quest is up for pre-order, I see. God I really hope that's good.

... wait, what?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345390/

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

Sierra is still in business? That's like driving by and seeing a Blockbuster still open.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »

... wait, what?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

Sierra is still in business? That's like driving by and seeing a Blockbuster still open.

It's Activision's indie label now. Name got bought last year (I think).

Text-to-speech guy is now reading me web addresses letter by letter. I can feel my brain packing its bags and shutting down.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

... wait, what?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

Text-to-speech guy is now reading me web addresses letter by letter. I can feel my brain packing its bags and shutting down.

That Is Funny. L O L.

:razz:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

... wait, what?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiBvYodew8

• Options
    Oh my God techno Picard is amazing. Star Trek TNG - Hypnotic is my new jam.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

... wait, what?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

I thought they always owned the name, Sierra's parent company owned blizzard before the merger

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The short of it is Sierra is about as much 'in business' as Atari.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

... wait, what?

I think I just woke up the Dogs with my squee.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Do we have any plans for some terraria-ing now that it's so easy to play coop?

Hopefully we do. A large world provides a lot of space for exploration and building forts but too big for one person.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    The short of it is Sierra is about as much 'in business' as Atari.

True, but Sierras revival of its old IPs looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtE7i3LGBCQ

Whilst Ataris consists of repeated attempts to convince people Haunted House is a beloved classic franchise, and turning Alone in the Dark into the world's worst Left 4 Dead clone.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I thought that sleeping dogs kinda couldn't decide what it wanted to do with Wei; he seems to feel more loyalty toward all his criminal friends and contacts than to any police, and everything you learn about his background over the course of the game leads you to think he wasn't all that well suited to police work in the first place (and indeed the whole thing might have been a con, at least when he was still stateside.)

But, the plot works increasingly hard to keep him on the 'good cop' side of things. It's hard to ever get a handle on how Wei actually feels, which maybe was the point

This is a very common plot element in all undercover stories. It would be too easy, and offer no dramatic tension, if everyone that the protagonist is informing on were terrible people, disgusting lowlives who no one would have any qualms about lying to, betraying and/or arresting. So there's always going to be a few "honorable thieves" - people for whom the character and audience can feel some measure of admiration and respect - to set up the conflict between friendship, loyalty etc and duty.

Plus, of course, there's the allure and glamour of how the criminal lifestyle is usually portrayed in such works (rather than how it actually is) - high living, freedom from some of society's rules (often offset by its own self-imposed code of honor, per above), and so on. That's the appeal of both games like the GTA series (and too many movies and TV shows to mention) where it's offered straight and unrepentant - you're a 'bad guy', go nuts! - and undercover stories where the protagonist gets to indulge, with official sanction, and we can be assured that they're still a good guy with permission to be bad... much as we'd like to be.

(I've joked that there's a distinct lack of stories taking the other angle, where the infiltrator from the criminal enterprise finds himself tempted by the legitimate, secure, law-abiding way of life and his new water-cooler buddies.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

... wait, what?

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

That Is Funny. L O L.

:razz:

aeiou

• Options
    wP8Usxs.png

I, not-Zombie, am pleased by this gift of I, Zombie, from @Halfazedninja, also-not-zombie.

I clearly need to factor zombiehood into my global domination plans.

This looks delightful. Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Did anyone read the interview with Al Lowe where he talks about how Sierra was destroyed by one corrupt board member? It's pretty insane.

The interview is also a pretty cool history of Sierra and Leisure Suit Larry

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    thatlinneathatlinnea Stockholm - swedenRegistered User new member
    Hey everyone

:P my signature => \-=\/[]-\/]
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @HalfAzedNinja struck while I was away with Waveform! Thanks so much mang. <3<3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sleeping Dogs, for me, was a case where the whole was so much better than the sum of its parts. There were directions I wish the story would have taken; one of the endgame plot beats got kinda silly even by Hong Kong Blood Opera standards; the shooting felt light more often than not; several theoretically interesting missions boiled down to "chase this guy down and beat him up" or "'investigate' means go exactly where these markers tell you to go." No shortage of nitpicks, which happens a lot with me and crime sandbox games.

And yet I really, really liked the game in the end. The atmosphere was unique, and starting you off just running errands in the Night Market was a smart decision - the crowds hammered home that you're not in some off-brand Liberty City. Parkour chases with crazy stunts blended well with brutal melee combat, and there's something about shoving a guy into a phone booth or knocking them into oncoming traffic that never got old. While the gunplay wasn't great, mission locations were colorful, varied, and highly reactive to gunfire (or just bodies being thrown into stuff). There was enough playful absurdity to keep things from being too dour - like a nightclub fight where it's possible to break open a fishtank, grab a fish, and start being people to death with it, or another mission where your goal is to steal cake - and the acting easily sold the more serious parts.

To put it another way, normally a linear car chase that can only really end once the guy you're chasing reaches a set distance bugs the hell out of me. But here, with cars doing end-over-end flips because I shot out the tires while Saber Dance is playing on the radio, and I jump to another car because my car's about to blow up, and at the end of the chase I kung-fu fight the driver and beat the shit out of him and it feels so good... all those wonderful little details just add up. At its most boring moments, I was still playing something exciting and well-presented, and it's one of the few games of this type where I actually wanted to run around doing random sidequests and stuff.

Not perfect by a long shot, but love went into this game. A man without a pork bun is only half a man.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Linnea is my good steam friend.Invited her to this great community ;) Happy birthday LIN !!!!! <3<3<3

subi on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Infinifactory is no longer in early access for those who were holding off installing it...just me? Ok.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thatlinneathatlinnea Stockholm - swedenRegistered User new member
    subi wrote: »
    Linnea is my good steam friend.Invited her to this great community ;) Happy birthday LIN !!!!! <3<3<3

:P my signature => \-=\/[]-\/]
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Welcome. Can I tell you about Marvel Heroes....?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

MOOOOOOON KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT /shakefist

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Thank you so much to @Big Classy for Morphopolis! This looks so bright and colorful! <3
    lFQYYWK.png

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Daimar wrote: »
    Infinifactory is no longer in early access for those who were holding off installing it...just me? Ok.

I want it, but I bought Big Pharma for all my conveyor belt needs. Now that Infinifactory is out of early access I think it's next on my list though.

Oh, and people who have played Ori and the Blind Forest: does it play well with the 360 controller? Because I played the opening with my DS4, and it doesn't like that at all. L2 pulled up the map (I assume that would be select), and R2 pulled up the pause menu (I assume that would be start). At first it was fine, and I thought maybe the game just had an unexpected button map, but then it wanted me to grab objects with the right trigger, and I kept pausing the game instead. So if it works, next time I'll use my 360 controller, and if it doesn't I'll know to just try to get good at platforming with keyboard and mouse. Thanks!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular

I want it, but I bought Big Pharma for all my conveyor belt needs. Now that Infinifactory is out of early access I think it's next on my list though.

Oh, and people who have played Ori and the Blind Forest: does it play well with the 360 controller? Because I played the opening with my DS4, and it doesn't like that at all. L2 pulled up the map (I assume that would be select), and R2 pulled up the pause menu (I assume that would be start). At first it was fine, and I thought maybe the game just had an unexpected button map, but then it wanted me to grab objects with the right trigger, and I kept pausing the game instead. So if it works, next time I'll use my 360 controller, and if it doesn't I'll know to just try to get good at platforming with keyboard and mouse. Thanks!

I played it with a 360 controller and had no problems.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

It played perfectly with a xbox one controller, so I'd assume a 360 one would work as well. I'm having a similar issue with Rayman Legends though. My One controller is slightly broken so I tried using my DS4, but the button layout was all messed up and it isn't letting me re-assign buttons for some reason. The option is there, but I can only remap one of the buttons to whatever button I'm trying to change.

• Options
    Berylline wrote: »

I played it with a 360 controller and had no problems.

Perfect! It definitely feels like a controller game, and I'm glad to hear I'll be able to use my 360 pad. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Did they ever announce the release date for the new wireless dongle for the Xbox one controller? This cord draped across my desk is bumming me out.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

MOOOOOOON KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT /shakefist

I sincerely hope you were at least leveling a legendary/pets at the time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    There are rumblings about a Mafia 3 announcement in August. Cautiously optimistic. I loved Mafia 1 and really liked Mafia 2, but felt it kind of held too fast to some archaic design standards and really needs to just go full open world. I'm hoping a 3rd game would do that, but no details yet.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Saw lots of new accounts pop up during the Steam sale. I'm guessing many of your greenhorns don't have these classics:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

If you don't find your account with any of these games, consider entering!

A friendly reminder for these giveaways.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    @Big Classy! Why?
    zc6j638n07y4.jpg
    Thank you for Soul Gambler. Also, I see you there, Mr. Typo in the game description. "be change forever" indeed.

@Halfazedninja sends this mid-afternoon.
    u5h8wseyedm2.jpg
    Thank you for Devilry you classy devil you.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @destroyah87 - Soul Gambler is actually kinda interesting. Lots of paths/possible endings. Short to get through. Worth taking for a spin.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Unless you're using DS4Windows or Inputmapper or whatever its called now, sometimes the PS4 controller bugs out and the controls arent assigned to the right places, or they're double assigned like RT being two different buttons. If you load up DS4windows before you load the game it should work fine.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Humble Store is currently featuring a bunch of Double Fine games on sale.

You can get Iron Brigade for $2.99! And Stacking for 99 cents! And a lot of other cool games.

The only one that tends not to get recommendations is Spacebase DF-9 since they basically abandoned it.

This discussion has been closed.