Options

[Chat]finity

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    listening to jessica pratt drinking seltzer working on this poem i've been struggling with for a few weeks

Are you drinking seltzer or is ms Pratt?

i can only speak for myself

You have poetried too hard and it is inside you now.

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

it is appropriate that the sentence can be read so many ways

i am currently writing about how all planets have relatively circular orbits, the air conditioner that fell on people on madison avenue a few weeks ago, how landscape painting was made obsolete the second the camera was invented, and using logos to map your body

For your next project why not write a poem of nothing but punctuation?

Take it to the next level and write nothing. Your poem will be on par with the various blank canvas paintings and that 4'33" 'music' thing where the guy just sits at the piano and doesn't do anything.

John Cage was a fucking genius, although I suspect we will not agree on this point.

I don't know enough about his music to disagree, but I contend that that particular piece is not genius or even good. Novelty alone isn't compelling. I've never shoved a traffic cone up my ass, if I go and do that tomorrow does that guarantee it will be good? I suspect it will suck, despite the novelty of the experience.

I don't think there is anything particularly novel about his idea, but I can see why it wouldn't seem that inspired if you're interpreting this performance as an affront to music by refusing to play any notes whatsoever. However, Cage was deeply interested in silence or rather the lack thereof. Those performances are about recognizing the soundscapes that exist all around us (the sound of the audience, the ambient noise happening in the space) and to blur the lines between intentional sounds and unintentional ones. I see a lot of parallels between that and some postmodern poetry, where there are large periods of meaninglessness punctuated by these apexes of clarity and meaningfulness.

Did those soundscapes need to be recognised?

I say "no", and that we've not gained anything from the exercise.

Again, I would disagree. Even if you don't find those exercises interesting, Cage had a massive influence on music in the 1980s. Sonic Youth, David Bowie, Dinosaur JR., Brian Eno, and so on all owe a debt to Cage's work.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Losing two games of HOTS in a row where our team was never in it kind of makes me not wanting to play for a few hours. Ugh.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    hmm. reactions don't seem to work on my new phone. mediocre

You need to use the mobile site.

It doesn't like the mouse-over to reveal reactions dealie.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    mixed up taco seasoning and added it to the meat and it was just kinda... brown

turned my back for a minute to catch up on chat and suddenly it's a vibrant orange red

what mutating ingredient did I put in there

will it change me

will I remember myself before

Some spices like chiles and paprika are oil soluble but not very water soluble. So it first hits the moisture and doesn't do much, then it works its way into the oil and you get the color.

Similar thing with say putting paprika directly into a soup vs cooking it in something oily and then adding it to soup

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If Kurt Cobain was still alive the foo fighters never would have existed. Weird, right? You have to choose one awesome band or another if you have a time machine and can stop Kirt Cobain from killing himself.

In net, I think Nirvana was better though.

I think Grohl would have ended up leaving or at the very least starting up Foo Fighters as a side project at some point anyways. He was writing stuff that ended up being for Foo Fighters long before Cobain killed himself. Nirvana at it's heart was always Cobain and Novoselic and Cobain was the drive behind the vast majority of the writing. Not that this means there was really friction caused by this, I think Grohl went into it knowing the score when it came to the writing. iirc he didn't ever really bring up most of what he was writing with the rest of the band.

This is a fairly tough thing to speculate about though because had Cobain cleaned up it's sort of impossible to say what impact that would have had on future writing or the band dynamics as a whole.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don't listen to Kana.

It was magic.

Forbidden culinary magic.

Your soul is now forfeit to a 3rd level demon named SkrubNub.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    listening to jessica pratt drinking seltzer working on this poem i've been struggling with for a few weeks

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

i am currently writing about how all planets have relatively circular orbits, the air conditioner that fell on people on madison avenue a few weeks ago, how landscape painting was made obsolete the second the camera was invented, and using logos to map your body

Take it to the next level and write nothing. Your poem will be on par with the various blank canvas paintings and that 4'33" 'music' thing where the guy just sits at the piano and doesn't do anything.

John Cage was a fucking genius, although I suspect we will not agree on this point.

I don't know enough about his music to disagree, but I contend that that particular piece is not genius or even good. Novelty alone isn't compelling. I've never shoved a traffic cone up my ass, if I go and do that tomorrow does that guarantee it will be good? I suspect it will suck, despite the novelty of the experience.

I don't think there is anything particularly novel about his idea, but I can see why it wouldn't seem that inspired if you're interpreting this performance as an affront to music by refusing to play any notes whatsoever. However, Cage was deeply interested in silence or rather the lack thereof. Those performances are about recognizing the soundscapes that exist all around us (the sound of the audience, the ambient noise happening in the space) and to blur the lines between intentional sounds and unintentional ones. I see a lot of parallels between that and some postmodern poetry, where there are large periods of meaninglessness punctuated by these apexes of clarity and meaningfulness.

Again, I would disagree. Even if you don't find those exercises interesting, Cage had a massive influence on music in the 1980s. Sonic Youth, David Bowie, Dinosaur JR., Brian Eno, and so on all owe a debt to Cage's work.

To the specific 4 and a half minutes of silence though?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

ive herd both michael finissy and biran eno drop specifically 4:33 as informing their use of silence in their music

it crystallised thots for a lot of people. but i suspect for most bros its more john cages complete body of work than that single thing as he runs the gamut

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I mean the real simple thought I get out of 4:33 is "do we need any of these notes?" Which is interesting. I imagine actual musicians can draw a lot from the work.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    10FL77k.jpg

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    *essays*

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Just another classic ivory tower intellectual mandating his students post evolutionary-propaganda-mon, when all good christians know that god created mons to be digi only

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

Yes. It's an important piece of conceptual art that got all sorts of people thinking about the nature of art and intention. Thurston Moore recently curated a retrospective of Cage's work. David Bowie has listed Cage's Silence: Lectures and Writings as one of his top 100 books. Brian Eno has said, "John Cage made you realize that there wasn't a thing called noise, it was just music you hadn't appreciated." And so on.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    *essays*

ese

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    WHEN the flush of a newborn sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
    Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mold;
    And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
    Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves: "It's pretty, but is it Art?"

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    WHEN the flush of a newborn sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
    Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mold;
    And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
    Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves: "It's pretty, but is it Fart?"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I will almost always concede that something is Art.

It's usually not Great Art or even Good Art but it is probably Art.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Foo Fighters really arent very good.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I will almost always concede that something is Art.

It's usually not Great Art or even Good Art but it is probably Art.

art is a super-category of which painting, poetry, music, etc are all sub categories

whether or not something is art has everything to do with the framing of a piece and nothing to do with any perceived talent or skill

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

correct

they are pretty indistinguishable from the scads of post-grunge bands that are very same-y and boring

but they get a pass because grohl was in nirvana

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    All music ultimately derives from farts. Long before there were musical instruments, even before banging a stick on a rock, there were farts.

And you just know there was one guy who was amused by his own farts and his ability to control them and subjected others to this.

All music thus derives from the butt flute.

• Options
    when i roll a joint

the flawless rotundity

the promising fecundity

the implicit comity

no crudity

ultra divinity

o ya

ity

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Just another classic ivory tower intellectual mandating his students post evolutionary-propaganda-mon, when all good christians know that god created mons to be digi only

I am really sorry, I was forced to report this post to the mods.

<3

• Options

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

ive herd both michael finissy and biran eno drop specifically 4:33 as informing their use of silence in their music

it crystallised thots for a lot of people. but i suspect for most bros its more john cages complete body of work than that single thing as he runs the gamut

But are they liars?

If nothing else I suggest we take listing of musical influences with a grain of salt

• Options
    One of my college buddies was a big DMB fan and this one time he dragged me to a show put on by some dude who sometimes played with them and it was just this one dude with a bunch of synthesizers and amps and a wobble pedal and a guitar.

He'd play like 5 seconds of guitar then put it on a loop, then play another 5 seconds, put that on another loop on top of the first loop, ad infinitum.

This went on for like 45 minutes and I was ready to leave after 5 but we were sitting in the middle of the 2nd row and I didn't want to make a scene.

• Options

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

But are they liars?

If nothing else I suggest we take listing of musical influences with a grain of salt

michael finisy always lies

brian eno always tells the truth

one of them gives very gud blowjobs (and knows it) whereas the other does not know anything about their or anybody elses blowjob capability

however u dont know which one is which

how do u get a mad good blowie?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jesus that HotS game what the fuck was that team even doing

• Options

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

But are they liars?

one of them gives very gud blowjobs (and knows it) whereas the other does not know anything about their or anybody elses blowjob capability

You ask scheck which one he thinks looks like a goer

• Options

You no longer punctuate.

All is lost.

But are they liars?

You ask scheck which one he thinks looks like a goer

the australia levels... off the charts... i am sprouting gdays...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    One of my college buddies was a big DMB fan and this one time he dragged me to a show put on by some dude who sometimes played with them and it was just this one dude with a bunch of synthesizers and amps and a wobble pedal and a guitar.

He'd play like 5 seconds of guitar then put it on a loop, then play another 5 seconds, put that on another loop on top of the first loop, ad infinitum.

This went on for like 45 minutes and I was ready to leave after 5 but we were sitting in the middle of the 2nd row and I didn't want to make a scene.

At the very least I hope you urinated in your friends dresser drawer or something equally appropriate afterwards.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

MEDIOCRE

• Options
    I am surprised to say that my favourite foo fighters song is a tie between:

Hey, Johnny Park!
    and
    Down in the Park.

Which is surprising because the park is outside and I hate outside

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

correct

they are pretty indistinguishable from the scads of post-grunge bands that are very same-y and boring

Pretty strongly disagree.

Grohl is a fucking talented guy and diminishing his work down to "gets a pass because he was in nirvana" is just goosey.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

I am really sorry, I was forced to report this post to the mods.

<3

In case of rapture, this forum will be de-modded.

And then those left behind will talk about anime

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I think I don't want to actually date any more.

I just want like. A chill roommate that wants to hug me a lot, and won't invite over klepto-people, or people that can't be trusted around sensitive electronics.

I could probably sustain my existence on good hugs.

• Options
    Everything after the Colour and the Shape was shameful garbage.

• Options
    i played final fantasy 8 listening to nothing left to lose

the two things are v linked in my hed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

correct

Pretty strongly disagree.

Grohl is a fucking talented guy and diminishing his work down to "gets a pass because he was in nirvana" is just goosey.

Grohl has been in more awesome bands than anyone.

• Options
    i played final fantasy 8 listening to nothing left to lose

the two things are v linked in my hed

I played Dark Saviour while listening to The Colour and the Shape.

This discussion has been closed.