French Toast > Pancake

@syndalis can confirm
    Place by me makes the best pancake wraps evar

o.jpg

Its basically a breakfast burrito wrapped in a giant pancake

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I grew up in a Russian household so I think pancakes should be thick and chewy or thin like blintzes. I hate the texture of typical American pancakes.

Taiwanese (and I think Japanese) pancakes are sort of like this too, though erring on the thick side.

Though I'm strictly speaking if what I guess is generally called "western-style pancakes," and not the variety of dishes that are sometimes called pancakes because of cooking method but should probably be called egg-and-onion flat cakes. Or something. It doesn't translate great into English.

I know I'll never truly be an American because I prefer American pancakes to their waffles, which has been described to me repeatedly as the greatest anti-American act anyone could commit. Well beyond serving in a foreign army, certainly.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    French toast is another weird thing - when I was a young'un eating it on Scout camps and the like, it was exclusively a savoury dish. We also called it eggy bread, not French toast.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of waffles either. French toast is okay, but in general I think a perfect breakfast involves sausages, eggs, and potatoes, and maybe a little fruit. There's no reason to bring grains into it. Which I guess makes me a traitor.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    syndalis wrote: »
    When I think pancake, I think crèpe. Thin, crispy round the edges, with sugar and lemon.

Or bananas and toffee sauce.

Or peaches and crème fraiche.

Or chocolate and orange.

When America thinks pancakes, we think fluffy, delicious delivery vehicles for fruit, butter, syrup and other tasty things.

Like, this dish is pancakes and blueberries and real maple syrup and butter and chocolate because 'Murica, fuck yeah!

q6pyyx17dq7b.jpg

FTFY

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of waffles either. French toast is okay, but in general I think a perfect breakfast involves sausages, eggs, and potatoes, and maybe a little fruit. There's no reason to bring grains into it. Which I guess makes me a traitor.

Not a fan of potatoes, but I'm sure that's coming from a cultural background of sweet potatoes being...pretty much the only type of potatoes, and being strictly a dinner food.

Sausage and eggs with some fruit though, absolutely. I wouldn't eat it every day for a long list of reasons, but that's still a good breakfast.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nija wrote: »
    French Toast > Pancake

@syndalis can confirm

o.jpg

I love that thing.

I have them make an extra special one for me that has all the breakfast meats in it, because I only get to eat one of those once every couple of years and I need to make it count.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Aioua wrote: »
    The one good IPA I can remember having was actually a homebrew. Who knows if we could replicate it.

But it tasted like the way hops smell, instead of just being bitter. It was crazy.

But I just can't trust buying an IPA anymore. Maybe if it was suggested by someone whoe was like "I don't like IPAs but this one is good."

There's two steps in hopping, the bittering and the aroma steps. The bittering is longest, usually for the entire boil. The majority of the IBUs come from that step. The aroma step is usually the last 15-20 minutes and extracts the, well, aroma and flavor. So maybe the hops got added as a late edition. Also try using tea balls to remove the hops after the boil.

As for IPAs being popular because hops are cheap. They kind of are. For my last 3 batches of homebrew, hops came out to be only 3-6% of the cost, though I don't make very hoppy beer.

Edit: just for testing... :snap:

fugacity on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    See, i love pancakes but as far as filling them, i think simple is best. Blueberries in the mix, and maybe a strawberry flavored syrup or maple is perfect. It lets me eat a few of them and have room for bacon and egg on the side.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's my opinion that IPA's are popular because you can't fuck them up. Too hoppy? It's a Hopmaster9000! And the taste of hops covers pretty much everything else, so no one notices you didn't really do anything interesting with the other flavors.

Which is also why I don't like them. They're so tremendously boring. I have a fascination with pilsners just because I want to taste any pilsner that manages an interesting flavor profile, since it's such a standard beer.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    People shit on UK food but one area where I think they kill it is breakfast. A "full English breakfast" is bacon, eggs, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans, and fried mushrooms. Perfect. Get your pancakes and waffles and syrups out of here, breakfast should be hearty and savory, not sweet like dessert.

Although black pudding is where I draw the line. Who on earth thought mixing oatmeal with pig's blood was a good idea?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    People shit on UK food but one area where I think they kill it is breakfast. A "full English breakfast" is bacon, eggs, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans, and fried mushrooms. Perfect. Get your pancakes and waffles and syrups out of here, breakfast should be hearty and savory, not sweet like dessert.

Although black pudding is where I draw the line. Who on earth thought mixing oatmeal with pig's blood was a good idea?

I will never knock the English Breakfast.

That stuff is amazing.

And I can get it from a few fine establishments near where I live, when I am in the mood for that.

One of them serves it with bottomless booze on Sunday mornings.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

Are you sure thats not Breakfast for Hobbits?

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's my opinion that IPA's are popular because you can't fuck them up. Too hoppy? It's a Hopmaster9000! And the taste of hops covers pretty much everything else, so no one notices you didn't really do anything interesting with the other flavors.

Which is also why I don't like them. They're so tremendously boring. I have a fascination with pilsners just because I want to taste any pilsner that manages an interesting flavor profile, since it's such a standard beer.

I'm sure you've had it, but this is a good one (with a great name)

B00554.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

It's been around so long that no one is sure anymore, but I think most historians point to either the Moors or the Romans.

• Options
    ...Is that what that is??
    Never had it before, but thank you for the forwarning so i can say no thanks if ever offered.

• Options

B00554.jpg

I have indeed. I actually met with one of the reps for Oskar Blues while stocking up for a Breckenridge week. They're some cool dudes.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

B00554.jpg

All of the OB beer is too sweet IMO. DPA in particular. Old Chub was decent, from what I remember.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Are you sure thats not Breakfast for Hobbits?

It's second breakfast

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if America's military might wasn't the result of the cold war, but rather an increasing need to protect Flavourtown (and by extension Flavour Country) from annexation by ambitious flavourless foreign powers.

Come to think of it, you guys should keep an eye out, just in case Vladimir Putin starts amassing large amounts of cookware and utensils in the black sea.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Irish Breakfast is p great too

• Options
    KraintKraint Registered User regular
    If your preferred breakfast doesn't included chicken fried steak, you need to take a long, hard look at what went wrong in your life.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Applewood bacon is the pinnacle of bacon.

I used to believe this as well, but I've learned to celebrate the entire bacon bouquet, as you will, such as hickory smoked or peppered. No need to limit your options when flavor is on the line and your other breakfast pieces may have changed.
    Western Omelet? Maybe peppered bacon will provide the ideal complement.
    Traditional eggs and english muffin with some home fries? Both applewood and hickory are fine choices
    Pancakes? I'm a hickory man on this

• Options
    My favorite place to eat breakfast thus far has been Germany. I believe I would like Irish or English breakfasts as well. I need multiple forms of sausage to be able to perform all the manual labors.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    My favorite breakfast is french-influenced. You know a place must be doing something properly when people will line up around the block to eat breakfast at a place in a college town with umpteen million places to eat breakfast.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just wish more places would do pancake hashbrowns (you know where they are browned with onions, oh god so delicious) alas in merica hasbrowns done shitty are the norm. Most of the time just undercooked shit they expect you to cover in ketchup to mask their failure.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    With regards to black coffee, years ago I trained myself to drink black coffee with no sugar to save on calories (it actually makes coffee into a slightly calorie negative beverage!)

I never really enjoyed coffee but I came to tolerate it. It tended to taste burnt and bitter.

But! I had a magnificent cup of black coffee not too long ago and I was shocked by how enjoyable it was. Smooth, no bitterness, with a strong fruity flavor present throughout the entire cup.

THAT is what coffee tastes like. It's just 90% or more cups use old or low quality beans, over or under roast it, or mass produce it. Which is fine if you just want an acceptable cup or you're drowning it in milk in sugar.

It's a surprisingly delicate substance, but it takes effort and time to make it properly.

Otherwise you get Starbucks

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    French Toast > Pancake

@syndalis can confirm

*snip*

That looks amazing.

I would replace the sausage with chorizo and toss some home fries in.

BRB - gotta take mah diabeetus meds

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just wish more places would do pancake hashbrowns (you know where they are browned with onions, oh god so delicious) alas in merica hasbrowns done shitty are the norm. Most of the time just undercooked shit they expect you to cover in ketchup to mask their failure.

I hate hashbrowns. Home fries or just hold the potatoes.

These are potatoes at the restaurant I mentioned above

imgp5693.jpg

Notice the distinct lack of shredded pattied oppressed garbage potatoes.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    See, to me, hasbrowns aren't shredded. They're chunks of potatoey flavour. Like in the photo above (Although usually a bit smaller than that)

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    See, to me, hasbrowns aren't shredded. They're chunks of potatoey flavour. Like in the photo above (Although usually a bit smaller than that)

My experience has been home fries are smaller cut potatoes with onions and maybe a bell pepper. Hash Browns are something along these lines:
    Crispy-Hash-browns-013-300x225.jpg

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options

My experience has been home fries are smaller cut potatoes with onions and maybe a bell pepper. Hash Browns are something along these lines:

Yeah, hash browns are pretty much this. It's a perfectly effective way to ruin a potato.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah, hash browns are pretty much this. It's a perfectly effective way to ruin a potato.

YOU'RE A PERFECTLY EFFECTIVE WAY TO RUIN A POTATO!

THE MARRIAGE IS OFF!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Yea those were friend potatoes in the picture, not hashbrowns. Hashing is just chopping or dicing but really it should be more fine than that and hashbrowns in particular refers only to shredded then friend potatoes.

And, like all potatoes, its not how you cut it its how you spice it. The finer you chop/dice the more flavor you can get relative to starch.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hashbrowns are delicious and I will not take no for an answer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I love both hash browns and home fries. I also may have ordered both for breakfast several times in the past.

• Options
    After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if America's military might wasn't the result of the cold war, but rather an increasing need to protect Flavourtown (and by extension Flavour Country) from annexation by ambitious flavourless foreign powers.

Come to think of it, you guys should keep an eye out, just in case Vladimir Putin starts amassing large amounts of cookware and utensils in the black sea.

You know too much.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Fuck, I want some WaffleHouse you guys. And the closest one is a 3 hour drive.

Cog on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    syndalis wrote: »

So is this place, that does tastings of different bacons paired with whiskey:
    7etwxr45er65.jpg
    8ih90q3bujiv.jpg

America's bacon game is strong.

Excuse me, but what is the name of this little slice of heaven, and in what city? I have a trip to plan!

LostNinja on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'd like to pretend that I won't eat potatoes in basically any form, but I'd be lying. I could legitimately have a baked potato as my primary dinner with sides of mashed and roasted potatoes as a meal and be a happy customer.