Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2015
    LostNinja wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

So is this place, that does tastings of different bacons paired with whiskey:
    7etwxr45er65.jpg
    8ih90q3bujiv.jpg

America's bacon game is strong.

Excuse me, but what is the name of this little slice of heaven, and in what city? I have a trip to plan!

http://barbacon.com

Located in Hell's Kitchen, NYC.

Come to meet Daredevil, stay for the tasty bacon.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's my opinion that IPA's are popular because you can't fuck them up. Too hoppy? It's a Hopmaster9000! And the taste of hops covers pretty much everything else, so no one notices you didn't really do anything interesting with the other flavors.

Which is also why I don't like them. They're so tremendously boring. I have a fascination with pilsners just because I want to taste any pilsner that manages an interesting flavor profile, since it's such a standard beer.

I'm sure you've had it, but this is a good one (with a great name)

B00554.jpg

My dog is named Oskar after Oskar Blues Brewery. They're my favorite brewery outside of Texas. Ten Fidy stout, Old Chub Scotch Ale, Dale's Pale Ale & Deviant Dale's... so much great beer!

Anyone who still says America doesn't have great beer just isn't paying attention.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular

So is this place, that does tastings of different bacons paired with whiskey:
    7etwxr45er65.jpg
    8ih90q3bujiv.jpg

America's bacon game is strong.

Excuse me, but what is the name of this little slice of heaven, and in what city? I have a trip to plan!

http://barbacon.com

Located in Hell's Kitchen, NYC.

Come to meet Daredevil, stay for the tasty bacon.

Man that is....genius. If I should ever visit NYC, I'm just going straight there from the airport.

On the subject of home fries. A few years ago, a good friend and I were having breakfast at a diner, when the waitress asked my buddy how he wanted his home fries cooked. He looked at her and calmly stated: "I like my home fries really crispy. Basically, I want you to give them religion, then fry the Jesus right out of them."

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    americans get super salty about this "we have the best food" thing

there's just greater variation, i think. like rich people in america have the best lifestyle of anyone in the world but the average american standard of living is lower than it is in most other developed countries

same with the food. the really good food is better than the really good food in most other developed countries but the average american meal is probably worse than the average european meal

i also think americans frequently don't grasp that places which aren't america also have ethnic diversity

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    With regards to black coffee, years ago I trained myself to drink black coffee with no sugar to save on calories (it actually makes coffee into a slightly calorie negative beverage!)

I never really enjoyed coffee but I came to tolerate it. It tended to taste burnt and bitter.

But! I had a magnificent cup of black coffee not too long ago and I was shocked by how enjoyable it was. Smooth, no bitterness, with a strong fruity flavor present throughout the entire cup.

THAT is what coffee tastes like. It's just 90% or more cups use old or low quality beans, over or under roast it, or mass produce it. Which is fine if you just want an acceptable cup or you're drowning it in milk in sugar.

It's a surprisingly delicate substance, but it takes effort and time to make it properly.

Otherwise you get Starbucks

i have read that american coffee, specifically, is bad, and that for whatever reason we here in australia have the best coffee in the world

i don't know if that's true, i have no idea what you guys are drinking over there

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    From my experience American coffee is largely atrocious. Even the difference between European and American Starbucks is astounding. Ours will give you an average cup of coffee or a hilarious bucket of cream if you like, in the US they don't seem able to manage the former.

Not to say that you can't find a decent cup, but you won't stumble into one.

I suspect that this, like many things, could just be a palette difference though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    People shit on UK food but one area where I think they kill it is breakfast. A "full English breakfast" is bacon, eggs, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans, and fried mushrooms. Perfect. Get your pancakes and waffles and syrups out of here, breakfast should be hearty and savory, not sweet like dessert.

Although black pudding is where I draw the line. Who on earth thought mixing oatmeal with pig's blood was a good idea?

Various other things British food does well:

Haggis is delicious:

_75904921_154311347.jpg

Cornish Pasty's are great lunch time snacks:

Cornishpasties630x300.jpg

Ploughman's lunches are nice for people who want bitty meals with alot of cheese and bread:

ea33849ac11e295f863b950a04364bd9d37e8d58.jpg

For bigger meals the Cumberland Sausage is great:

cumberland-sausage-_666976c.jpg

Also while America's great at killing your body with excess the Scot's do have one particular deep fried snack:

article-2401662-1B73C5CB000005DC-486_468x286.jpg

The Deep Fried Mars Bar

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Deep fried Mars bars are delicious but you can feel the days being stripped from your life with each bite.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Fuck, I want some WaffleHouse you guys. And the closest one is a 3 hour drive.

I've always loved this map

j94uCiKpsg6apl8yZUoRBPKko1_1280.gif

It's cheap, greasy, diner food but man is it good.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hash browns are hard to fuck up. I can go anywhere and order hash browns, and as long as they're a bit crispy I'm going to be happy.

I've had amazing home fries, like, mind blowing home fries. Your average order of home fries, though, is going to be disappointing because they're a more nuanced dish.

Since breakfast potatoes are something you want fairly quickly and inexpensively, I find that hash browns are more suited to their purpose.

Also, put some onions on there.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I'd like to pretend that I won't eat potatoes in basically any form, but I'd be lying. I could legitimately have a baked potato as my primary dinner with sides of mashed and roasted potatoes as a meal and be a happy customer.

Back in the days when I used to eat KFC, I would get mashed potatoes and potato wedges as sides and dip the wedges into the mash. No shame.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

there's just greater variation, i think. like rich people in america have the best lifestyle of anyone in the world but the average american standard of living is lower than it is in most other developed countries

same with the food. the really good food is better than the really good food in most other developed countries but the average american meal is probably worse than the average european meal

i also think americans frequently don't grasp that places which aren't america also have ethnic diversity

Non Americans also get super salty about this "we have the best food"

They do one or two cuisines extremely well and think that makes them kings of flavor town

But the reality is having a huge variety of great food available is the most important part of being the best place in the world for delicious food

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also while America's great at killing your body with excess the Scot's do have one particular deep fried snack:

article-2401662-1B73C5CB000005DC-486_468x286.jpg

The Deep Fried Mars Bar

Let me introduce you to a small taste of America's fried culture:

The Deep Fried Snickers Bar:
    zvqvycc6b23b.jpg

Deep fried, bacon wrapped mac and cheese balls:
    3qbsyitoccls.jpg

Deep Fried Coca-Cola:
    p23ultkyhz42.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Synd you missed the most American one ever.

deep-fried-butter.jpg

Deep fried butter.

Edit:

Don't forget Deep Fried Oreos

Fried-Oreo-pancake-batter-530x353.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I mean, yeah, deep fried butter is pretty patriotic.

but there is something to be said about deep frying a beverage.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    True.

I will say though Oreos are kind of gross normally deep fried they are heavenly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Oreos... How much will we, as flavor town, suffer from the loss of trans fats? It's probably the right call, but I'll admit some great food rely on it.

• Options
    Speaking of Oreos... How much will we, as flavor town, suffer from the loss of trans fats? It's probably the right call, but I'll admit some great food rely on it.

Almost nothing really relies on it. Its primary benefit is a longer shelf life compared to similar oils and fats. Some food will just cost a few cents more and we'll enjoy it longer with our longer lives.

• Options
    For some reason I had thought that the oreo cream pretty much relied on it.

But I agree that it's the right move.

• Options
    Nah. They used it before but it's bee 0% trans fat for a couple years now.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    US cuisine is food from other cultures made unhealthy/closest to fast food as they can make it.

Tasty? Yes. Addictive and probably bad for you? Also yes.

Also the general standard of food quality in the US is pretty low. Not unhygenic low like a third world country, but just shitty all the same. Industrialised meat production and corn shoved into pretty much everything. If you walk into an average supermarket in France or Denmark or Britain you're going to find a higher quality of product than the average US supermarket.

Real talk though: if you aren't from France, Italy, Spain, China, Taiwan, India, Greece or Japan you don't really have much ground to stand on when it comes to claiming your food is the best.

Real talk? You forgot Portugal on that list. Portugese food is the shit. Caldo verde is the fucking shit. Also good on them for figuring out (along with the Chinese) that pork, oysters and beer are the best together.

Also our food quality is getting a hell of a lot better in recent years because farmers are getting over the idea of massive flavorless crops except to factory canning and freezing plants and instead are trying to produce awesome things that are fucking great to eat. For example, I'm about to spend the next four hours going from farms, to farmer's co-ops, and a few farmer's markets to get all the produce for the restaurant. Come on by and eat some of it and weep at the gates of Flavortown.

Furthermore, I would argue that if you look around you can find small producers making awesome breads, cheeses, sausages, etc all across Flavortown, USA. So sorry if you thought you got the real experience by going to a few fast food joints and hitting up a supermarket god-knows-where, but Flavortown was denied to you.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    See, to me, hasbrowns aren't shredded. They're chunks of potatoey flavour. Like in the photo above (Although usually a bit smaller than that)

My experience has been home fries are smaller cut potatoes with onions and maybe a bell pepper. Hash Browns are something along these lines:
    Crispy-Hash-browns-013-300x225.jpg

Yeah, hash browns are pretty much this. It's a perfectly effective way to ruin a potato.

Yeah, if you make hash browns like shit I agree.

However what you're supposed to do is cook those potato strings with onions (and some peppers maybe, depends on where you are), mix it with corn beef or brisket hash, and cover it with an over-easy egg. It's a dish meant to be served off a flat-top grill. I'll send you a picture of some bad ass ones tomorrow.

Also pancakes can be a vehicle for anything and can be sweet or savory, IHOP has unfairly oppressed them into being a sugar-fest.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    People shit on UK food but one area where I think they kill it is breakfast. A "full English breakfast" is bacon, eggs, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans, and fried mushrooms. Perfect. Get your pancakes and waffles and syrups out of here, breakfast should be hearty and savory, not sweet like dessert.

Although black pudding is where I draw the line. Who on earth thought mixing oatmeal with pig's blood was a good idea?

There is a billboard here in Austin right now advertising the "classic American breakfast" at some restaurant, and the image is a huge zoomed-in photo of the full english.

Every time I drive by there I'm like r u havin a giggle m8

• Options
    Oh shit, I forgot one of the more flavorous fried things we do here in Flavortown!

m2b5d2aowyyb.jpg

Jalapeños, stuffed with cheese, wrapped with bacon, then battered/fried.

The popper is the way and the light.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I mean, poor food in America still includes Cajun food, if my grandma is one to go by.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

I mean, poor food in America still includes Cajun food, if my grandma is one to go by.

Also includes bbq and soul food. Cajun food is pretty much designed to be eaten by poor people... Jambalaya basically means "throw shit together and serve it over rice" and traditional gumbo is a "bring what you got, we'll make enough for everyone" type of affair.

Having lived and eaten all over Europe for a few years, my opinion is that the average American meal is more diverse and of better quality, but we're beginning to price ourselves out of that as the quality food gets labelled organic and doubles in price, while the rest is getting worse.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure we just call that a hot pocket.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hot Pockets are a thermodynamic anomaly, able to be scalding hot and freezing cold at the same time

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Hot Pockets are a thermodynamic anomaly, able to be scalding hot and freezing cold at the same time

Here is an interesting read on that phenomenon

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/microwave-oven-diagnostics-with-indian-snack-food/

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

There's actually a pretty easy 2-part explanation for this!

Part 1: Microwaves heat unevenly. That's why they rotate. Combine that with the fact microwaves cook from the outside in, and the middle of a hot pocket will almost always receive less heat than the edges.

Part 2: Latent heat. It takes much more heat to melt the ice in the hot pocket than it does to heat up the rest of the hot pocket several degrees.

When you combine this, the edges receive a lot of heat, melt quickly, and get boiling hot. But the center is receiving very little heat, and it hits 32 F and stays there for a while slowly soaking enough heat to melt.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we just call that a hot pocket.

No, you call them hand pies from what I remember.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Part 1: Microwaves heat unevenly. That's why they rotate. Combine that with the fact microwaves cook from the outside in, and the middle of a hot pocket will almost always receive less heat than the edges.

Part 2: Latent heat. It takes much more heat to melt the ice in the hot pocket than it does to heat up the rest of the hot pocket several degrees.

When you combine this, the edges receive a lot of heat, melt quickly, and get boiling hot. But the center is receiving very little heat, and it hits 32 F and stays there for a while slowly soaking enough heat to melt.

...which is why the directions say to let it sit for two minutes after cooking, to let the super-hot outside continue cooking the inside. Also, if you're not a goose, you can always set the microwave to cook at a lower heat for longer, giving the center more time to thaw. Or, and stick with me on this, you can use the defrost setting first, THEN cook it, THEN wait for temperature to homogenize.

You can't blame the 'Pocket for people being too lazy to use a microwave properly, or too impatient to follow the directions.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

...which is why the directions say to let it sit for two minutes after cooking, to let the super-hot outside continue cooking the inside. Also, if you're not a goose, you can always set the microwave to cook at a lower heat for longer, giving the center more time to thaw. Or, and stick with me on this, you can use the defrost setting first, THEN cook it, THEN wait for temperature to homogenize.

You can't blame the 'Pocket for people being too lazy to use a microwave properly, or too impatient to follow the directions.

We can still blame it for being diarrhea in fried pocket form though right?

http://youtu.be/N-i9GXbptog

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, some of the best food is poor people food.
    One-pot asian meals? Delicious.
    Jambalaya? Delicious
    Soul Food? Delicious
    BBQ? Delicious
    etc. etc.
    Usually poor food involves many ingredients and slow cooking to develop flavor and break down tougher cuts of meat. This makes for better eatin' on a consistent basis than more highbrow meals, as the technique allows for more error. Don't get me wrong, I love a proper steak or fresh fish dish, but you put some bbq pork and collards in front of me and all else is forgotten.

Mmmmm, collards.

• Options
    Fajitas are an (originally) poor person food too.

Poor people ain't got much luxuries but git dang we can make good food.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

We can still blame it for being diarrhea in fried pocket form though right?

Of course! Hot Pockets ain't from Flavortown; they hang out in their van outside the city limits wishing they could move in, but it'll never happen so long as they spend all day creepin' around college kids and selling weed.

Point was that people don't know how to use a microwave.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    its hilarious that bbq is generally considered poor ppl food but that's not the reality anymore, its one of the more expensive dinners i can have here
    in most restaurants a rack of ribs is like the most expensive thing on a menu

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hash browns are hard to fuck up. I can go anywhere and order hash browns, and as long as they're a bit crispy I'm going to be happy.

I've had amazing home fries, like, mind blowing home fries. Your average order of home fries, though, is going to be disappointing because they're a more nuanced dish.

Since breakfast potatoes are something you want fairly quickly and inexpensively, I find that hash browns are more suited to their purpose.

Also, put some onions on there.

Hash browns are super easy to fuck up. Put onions in them.

Whenever I go to diners, I like to order the standard eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns and juice set. If, after taking one bite of the hash browns, I taste the slimy nauseating tentacles that are onions, I'm usually unable to resist spitting it up into my napkins.

Onions are vile. The only acceptable form is dried and ground up into powder. But their natural slimy state? Get that shit outta here.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    I spent my childhood convinced I hate onions

Because I do, in the form where they're identifiable as onions.

Now I realize they're in like every dish ever, and usually fine, but only having noticed them in burgers really messed with me.

(I had an ex who was the same way and I had to convince her it was ok to eat my cooking when I used onions, because onions were in tons of foods she ate and loved. She didn't believe me at first)

Shivahn on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

There is a billboard here in Austin right now advertising the "classic American breakfast" at some restaurant, and the image is a huge zoomed-in photo of the full english.

Every time I drive by there I'm like r u havin a giggle m8

This post made me lol irl

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet