As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Because you've got a whole bunch of funding tied up in that military you're clearly not going to be getting much use out of this game.

If you want to protect your people you'll do that rather than cling to delusions of expansionism in a time of crisis. Sanctions or no you've got enough of an economy to keep yourself afloat while the world puts you in the naughty corner for a bit.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wonder aloud if it would be wise to form a small multinational survey team fitted with all protective gear our many countries have developed and have them go into Spain to gather more data.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    At the risk of Godwinning this discussion, was Germany not censured after Hitler died? Do the actions of the Russian troops that invaded Europe not count as censure-worthy actions?
    We did that after World War 1. Pissed all over the Germans.

It led to World War 2.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Because you've got a whole bunch of funding tied up in that military you're clearly not going to be getting much use out of this game.

If you want to protect your people you'll do that rather than cling to delusions of expansionism in a time of crisis. Sanctions or no you've got enough of an economy to keep yourself afloat while the world puts you in the naughty corner for a bit.

Russia hasn't built a single military unit since the game began. I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I wonder aloud if it would be wise to form a small multinational survey team fitted with all protective gear our many countries have developed and have them go into Spain to gather more data.

The Brazilian Special Forces have been training and are currently in the process of equipping themselves for exactly this kind of operation.

I plan to be sanctioning an op next turn. We will be recovering relevant intel from the most valuable site.

Solar on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    oh shit, son!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

The Brazilian Special Forces have been training and are currently in the process of equipping themselves for exactly this kind of operation from Day 1.

Would the Brazilian Special Forces allow advisers of other nations to join any exhibition? I'm sure joining members would be able to help defer the costs.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    we've fitted our entire forces with air filters this turn.

They can go anywhere and aid anyone.

No need to ally with Russia or do deals with them literally the same turn we sanctioned them.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Actually, I think Russia using its military resources to support a peaceful scientific expedition is exactly the kind of action they should be taking.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I notice that you're quick to say Russia should change its ways but as soon as you're called on the specifics of how you change the subject. In fact, that seems to be the case from just about everyone this game.

• Options

The Brazilian Special Forces have been training and are currently in the process of equipping themselves for exactly this kind of operation from Day 1.

Would the Brazilian Special Forces allow advisers of other nations to join any exhibition? I'm sure joining members would be able to help defer the costs.
    China is happy to provide military, scientific, and financial aid toward this endeavor.

• Options
    Well geez. Sorry for trying to be helpful.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    The Brazilian Special Forces are of course trained to ensure that a variety of support personnel are able to safely be deployed within the target zone, foreign special observers could indeed be amongst that number.

Brazil would be glad to spearhead such an operation on an international scale. We have been dedicated to engaging the problem directly (hence the Spanish blockade) and will continue to be ready to take point on such operations.

Solar on
  • Options

No need to ally with Russia or do deals with them literally the same turn we sanctioned them.
    Too bad that you spent all last week convincing us that your military is tiny and you've never built troops. :(

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Who said let the wookie win??
    11713830_879529665460108_5107888886360378494_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    At the risk of Godwinning this discussion, was Germany not censured after Hitler died? Do the actions of the Russian troops that invaded Europe not count as censure-worthy actions?

It led to World War 2.

Indeed, the Marshall Plan followed WW2. Worked much better than Versailles.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Depending on the outcome of today's reports, I feel that we should have an open discussion about how to proceed towards Spain. I feel that an expedition may be called for to gain better understanding and would be very willing to assist with Russian military support as needed by the exhibition.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We would welcome Russia's support in the Spanish operation, and see this as a sign that they are moving past their prior aggressions.

• Options

Too bad that you spent all last week convincing us that your military is tiny and you've never built troops. :(

We didn't say it was tiny. We said describing two extra groups of infantry as an aggressive expansion was a joke.

Also yes China, lets not outfit our military with life saving tools that allow them to help stabilize infected regions without risk of infection themselves.

This is what I mean when I say you claim you want peace and co-operation and then turn around and spit at us.
    -Tal wrote: »
    Actually, I think Russia using its military resources to support a peaceful scientific expedition is exactly the kind of action they should be taking.

I'm in full agreement with this. Just less comfortable with Russia using any military resources when they're strapped for cash and have their own country to look after.

• Options
    I admit to being perplexed at exactly what exploring a dead nation will accomplish, but am definitely willing to cooperate. Maybe we can find some people who survived and get a head start on a vaccine or cure.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The US, wants to offer the world's scientists Detailed Scans or Air Filters as collab, with the respective nations funding it.

We need as many countries publicly monitoring infected zones and publicly sharing threat levels.
    We also need military forces equipped with air filters going to sites and setting up quarantines. So that the pandemic doesn't spread.

We need a dedicated nation, with troops and scans, on each infection zone, and I was thinking of just setting up a google spreadsheet people can input into.
    This is not obligatory, but will be volunteer based.

---

What is this technology

Detailed Scans - (Each day you can select a region (either PC or NPC) to scan. You will be informed of their current level of infection.)
    Flavor text reads

The downside is that the technology is still clunky and inefficient. It takes a long time to scan a region, even if the results are accurate.

The other tech we got (thanks to Argentina) is Air Filters

Your scientists have been hard at work constructing filters capable of eliminating the virus from the air.
    You may pay $1 to equip any currently deployed military unit with the filters. Any units constructed after this technology is researched will automatically get the filters at no additional cost, as the design becomes streamlined. Any unit equipped with air filters will be greatly protected from Infection. )

---

From my point of view this is the US offering reduced tech costs to the world.
    Then asking nations to volunteer sending 1 (outfitted) unit, on a virus trouble spot near their nations. (Something they should do anyway for their own defense).
    The dedicated scans has no cost, so I don't see a problem with people using it and sharing the situation, in case they need help.

It will sadden me if the dream of global cooperation is untenable.

The US will begin working with the Mexican government immediately.

We would have never of got here without aid from the global scientific community. It is in the spirit of Argentina's previous offer of Air Filtration that we pursue this path.
    We can defeat this disease- we have the starting tools. But we must organize!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Brazil has specifically been readying themselves for this and also has raised the motion before the UN in the past

We wish to take point here. We have the equipment, we have the training, we have been on the front line of disease control from early days, and our fleet is in the local area to provide logistical support. Other nations are of course welcome to submit proposals for advisory personnel to join our operation.

Please note, this may be very dangerous. We cannot know the full extent of the repercussions of entering a designated Black Zone. However, we are willing to shoulder this burden. As the motto of our special operations detatchment goes; "any mission, in any place, at any time, by every way"

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    I admit to being perplexed at exactly what exploring a dead nation will accomplish, but am definitely willing to cooperate. Maybe we can find some people who survived and get a head start on a vaccine or cure.

What do you mean dead nation? The entire point is we have no idea what happened in Spain.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Understanding what happened in Spain will benefit every nation's preparation for the infection, including Russia's.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Also Russia, we're full willing to help with humanitarian aid for any dire situations that might occur in your country. Feel free to get in touch with our diplomat.

• Options
    Well, ok. I kind of leaped to the conclusion that they're all dead.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Understanding what happened in Spain will benefit every nation's preparation for the infection, including Russia's.

Also scientists like poking dead bodies with sticks and you've gotta give the egg heads something to do or you wake up and they've upgraded all the OS's in the White House again and you have no idea where to find your e-mail.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It should also be noted that since there is no containment effort in Spain, contagion may easily spread through the simple method of wild animals entering and leaving the borders. It is imperative that Spain be quarantined using extreme measures if necessary until we better understand the situation.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Well, ok. I kind of leaped to the conclusion that they're all dead.

It would be staggering if a whole nation suddenly succumbed to the disease

Now that I think about it, has anyone been keeping track of the # of infected in each country?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    It should also be noted that since there is no containment effort in Spain, contagion may easily spread through the simple method of wild animals entering and leaving the borders. It is imperative that Spain be quarantined using extreme measures if necessary until we better understand the situation.

Such things are exactly what our operation will find out.

I would like all military leaders who intend to involve themselves with this operation to inform me such in the thread, and I will create a PM chain accordingly. As noted, Brazil will want to take point here, but we would welcome external expertise and advice.

Solar on
  • Options

I would like all military leaders who intend to involve themselves with this operation to inform me such in the thread, and I will create a PM chain accordingly. As noted, Brazil will want to take point here, but we would welcome external expertise and advice.

Russia would like to be involved. Depending on costs of course.

• Options
    ]OOC: One detail that's really bugged me is that surely the whole world should be well aware of this by now on a public level if Spain's fucked.

I guess the virus goes after social media first, clever girl[

• Options

Costs should be completely voluntary. Brazil is dedicated to accomplishing this with or without the assistance of other nations. We consider such assistance to be gracious and helpful, but will not impose costs on nations that do not wish to spend them.

• Options

We didn't say it was tiny. We said describing two extra groups of infantry as an aggressive expansion was a joke.

Also yes China, lets not outfit our military with life saving tools that allow them to help stabilize infected regions without risk of infection themselves.

This is what I mean when I say you claim you want peace and co-operation and then turn around and spit at us.
    I didn't say a single negative thing about your air filters, Mr. President. I'm fact, I applaud you dedicating your "not tiny" military to useful endeavors.

You spent an entire day verbally raking me over the coals for mischaracterizing your military then casually offer to send troops every nation in the world. You do it in the same breath as further shitting on Russia, after I contacted your diplomat and asked that you dial back the rhetoric and try to lead the public discourse in a more productive direction.

So I'll ask you publicly: Please dial back the rhetoric. You are setting a nonproductive tone. Contrary to your words, the Russians are actually people and deserve to be treated as such.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Costs should be completely voluntary. Brazil is dedicated to accomplishing this with or without the assistance of other nations. We consider such assistance to be gracious and helpful, but will not impose costs on nations that do not wish to spend them.

America can contribute a few SF teams that are outfitted with Air Filtration units to the cause. Have whoever is in control of the op contact me and I will follow orders.

• Options

China is ready and able to assist.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    KetBra wrote: »

It led to World War 2.

Indeed, the Marshall Plan followed WW2. Worked much better than Versailles.

I know I'm not in this game so I shouldn't really be part of this discussion but after WW2 the Allies also split Germany in half, obliged them to accept permanent foreign military bases inside their borders, destroyed Prussia as a legal entity, expelled hundreds of thousands of German civilians from formerly Prussian territory and shipped most of East Germany's industrial capacity off to the USSR as war reparations (as in they literally dismantled the machinery in German factories, put it on trains and moved it to Russia to replace all the factories German forces destroyed)

The German military was disbanded and not reformed until almost a decade later as part of the NATO/PACT alliance command structure. The Federal German Republic was not normalized as a fully sovereign state until nearly half a century later. Versailles was a fucking pat on the ass compared to 1945.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

America can contribute a few SF teams that are outfitted with Air Filtration units to the cause. Have whoever is in control of the op contact me and I will follow orders.

For now, we will coordinate through the official SADPACT channels. A thread can be created on the proboard, and if further coordination is necessary we can go from there.

We have lines to most countries on the SADPACT boards. If you do, please contact us there with your offers or lack thereof.

To China in particular: we may be retrieving samples that would best be analyzed at the facility in your homeland. We would very much like your involvement.

• Options
    If you do not have a line with SADPACT and desire one, please contact me and I will be happy to assist you in obtaining one. It is time to unite the world in stopping this threat to human life.

• Options
    Which is why we just offered them humanitarian aid.

And we didn't offer help to every country in the world. We offered help to the expedition and invited other countries to get in touch.

We'd rather not see Russia spending money on military actions (especially token ones seeing as there are already several nations lining up for the Spainish expedition) considering the worry they've expressed over the well being of their people following sanctions. Again why we just offered them humanitarian aid.

In the mean time you continue to take the most negative possible meaning to anything we do while berating us for speaking poorly and inciting conflict.

This discussion has been closed.