Options

NFL Super Bowl XLIX: Lick the Gun

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I feel like there's been a weird vendetta against him in the Washington media, too.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    please. dan snyder had a lot to do with ruining RG3. it takes a special kind of owner to pick saving a couple bucks over his franchise QB that they mortgaged the future on

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Who's even starting at QB for them now? They giving him one more chance or is Colt/Cousins time?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They're going to trot out a special 3 QB formation.

And it will work about as well as you think it would.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    It would've been nice to see how RG3 would've turned out if shanahan didn't ruin him

If you remember, he was destroying a fantastic Seahawks defense before the injury that game

I agree completely. RGIII was really good before Synder/Shanahan ruined him. Hell maybe he even gets over his supposed work ethic issues and becomes a truely legendary QB.

But after the Injury. Why would you bother? Ask yourself if you would put in the effort and put yourself on the line super hard when you know your team owner won't even spring for a field that you can run on? When your head coach played you injured anyway. Jeopardizing your entire career for a single playoff berth.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I feel like there's been a weird vendetta against him in the Washington media, too.

The Washington media has had weird vendettas against their starting QBs for decades, going back even to before Snyder owned the team.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    RG3 actually lives near me, I see him at the grocery store and at local restaurants fairly regularly. He always seems to be very nice to fans and everyone else.

That said, he has a limited skill set and, what is worse, seems to have adopted the attitude early in his career that everything else needed to be adjusted to his limitations instead of him working to improve and expand what he is capable of.

Hopefully he has gotten over that.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Monday the Grantland nfl podcast did a section on the 13 quarterbacks who have thrown a pass to Andre Johnson along with their stats on those throws and it's just absolutely brutal how bad that list is.

Speaking of the Texans is Clowny still out? I know it's a bit behind but I didn't even see his name get mentioned on Hard Knocks last week.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Clowney went back to practice yesterday

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you combined RGIII and Tim Tebow, would you get a decent QB?

(The answer is no.)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Before Griffin's knee got destroyed if you left out the Tebow parts, yes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    If RG3 had the situational pocket IQ, with the arm he has/had, he could have been one of the best. Thing is he doesn't have the QB IQ.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Hey we have some Niners fans here, so I'm sure it's relevant to your interests to know Why The Niners Suck.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That was probably the most polite Why Your Team Sucks I've read...

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    That was probably the most polite Why Your Team Sucks I've read...

It's considered crude to speak ill of the dead.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The Houston e-Chronicle posted about yesterday's piece.

One of the first responses:
    Good lord! With all the trashy "articles" the eChron posts, you're worried about this one? Where are your followups on such "stories" as the weird purple glow outside the ISS? The latest on Bigfoot? The news on which local TV anchor is getting married?

Someone thinks the Texans suck? Oh, the horror!

You see? He gets it!

A little latter on...
    Some people hate. Some people hate success. Some people just hate to feel better about themselves. This is really sad. But it won't have a baring on how successful J. J. is or even how the Texans will perform this year.

Success? For whom? From submissions to the WYTS article.
    13 of his 20.5 sacks last year were against teams with a combined record of 22-58. 10 of which were against Jacksonville and Tennessee.

and
    Here were the teams the Texans beat during the recent 2013 [ed. 2014, actually...Texans fan, go figure] season to show “improvement” at 9-7:

Washington
    Oakland
    Buffalo
    Tennessee
    Cleveland
    Jacksonville
    Baltimore

Also bear in mind that the Texans got the benefit of playing Tennessee & Jacksonville twice.

Sports makes people so parochial.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm sure when someone responds to Drew's articles he gets a hate boner so big his wife might actually experience sexual gratification for once...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    People are thin skinned about The Local Sporting Team? No fucking way.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Hey we have some Niners fans here, so I'm sure it's relevant to your interests to know Why The Niners Suck.

I think most niner fans agree at this point. I've actually been looking forward to this.

Fuuuuck Jed York.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Tebow #1 NFC QB.

Philadelphia was full of rage and sacrificing the heads of hitchiking robots, but Tebow steps on the field and they see a light so pure, so true, and realize they need to be better people.

I've said I've never wanted to see a Theisman like hit again but I'm really coming around on that subject when it comes to Tebow.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Tebows a god

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The only player I want to see succeed against all odds more than Tebow is Tyler Thigpen

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    If RG3 had the situational pocket IQ, with the arm he has/had, he could have been one of the best. Thing is he doesn't have the QB IQ.

I wanted to like him. I really did. The moment they trotted him back out into the game on his broken leg I knew he was finished. At best he can become a competent play caller. The type good enough to not be the problem.

The only thing is, there's always somebody else coming out of college. Younger, faster, healthier.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Every "why your team sucks" article is supposed to be brutal.
    The Houston one hits a bit below the belt, but probably only because i actually love that city.
    I don't see any reason to get all butt hurt about the article. They equally offend everyone at some point in time! Its all in good humor anyway.

• Options

I wanted to like him. I really did. The moment they trotted him back out into the game on his broken leg I knew he was finished. At best he can become a competent play caller. The type good enough to not be the problem.

The only thing is, there's always somebody else coming out of college. Younger, faster, healthier.

Yes. Watching that playoff game was horrible. There was an article I read that was something like "Why RG3 is a bad QB" that went through tape on him missing obvious check downs and even open receivers down field because he would just take off running after a few seconds. I remember his last year at Baylor because they played the Huskies in some lesser bowl that year. He threw the ball all over the place in that college spread offense but just never was able to make the jump to pro.

• Options
    Last year's Dallas entry. I so want to see this year's.

It's amazing what happens when you cut out your piece-of-shit owner from the major decisions and hire a real DC.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RG3 reminds me of my ability with math (stay with me here you mother fuckers...) anyway when I was in school I got math, I got it like a fish gets water and so I never had to learn how to learn math, I just understood it, up until calculus where math became less about real math and all about letters and formulas, since I never learned how to learn I couldn't keep up and thus despite being really good up until calc, calc did me in.

That's RG3 in college he was a natural talent able to just be amazeballs on his athleticism alone, then he hits the pros and its like calc he can't keep up, he doesn't even know how to learn how to keep up and why should it matter he didn't have to before? So he flounders and blames the coaches etc because he can't see the problem is himself.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »

I think most niner fans agree at this point. I've actually been looking forward to this.

Fuuuuck Jed York.

According to the "Hear it from Niners Fans" section here are the things they would like to fuck Jed York with:

- A roll of asbestos
    - A stick of dynamite
    - A hot branding iron
    - A broken milk bottle

ObiFett on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Yes. Watching that playoff game was horrible. There was an article I read that was something like "Why RG3 is a bad QB" that went through tape on him missing obvious check downs and even open receivers down field because he would just take off running after a few seconds. I remember his last year at Baylor because they played the Huskies in some lesser bowl that year. He threw the ball all over the place in that college spread offense but just never was able to make the jump to pro.

Bullshit. Before his injury he was one of the best QBs in the league, let alone the rookie class. He threw like 350 yards in his first game (and ran another 80) and he did this playing with the slurs line and the slurs receiver core.

He was amazing right up until his injury. And he was competent even with the first injury in he playoff game against the Hawks. But after that game? Donezo. Whatever drive he had was dead, whatever pep he had was gone.

But before that? Really good.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

While I disagreed with last year's take on the Patriots in some cases, the fans all got it right.

Especially this:
    Also, someone will pay Darrelle Revis more money than us next year.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    While I disagreed with last year's take on the Patriots

ahahaha

I just read that article and it is so spot on and hilarious. How can you disagree with this
    That's how much you motherfuckers suck. All those titles in every sport and you're all STILL unhappy. All the fucking time. If my team had three rings, I would skip around my neighborhood naked all day long, throwing cupcake sprinkles at everyone.

But noooooo, not New England fans. No no no, they have to spend every last waking second bitching about all the additional titles they should have won. The Red Sox won a title last season—their third in the past decade—and yet they still bitch about the team sucking this year! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. These are terrible people, and they root for a team run by a terrible man who demands passion from his players and then cuts those same players as bloodlessly as a guillotine operator. They are disloyal and hypocritical. They demand fealty and offer none of their own. Fuck them. Charles Barkley knows what time it is.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    ObiFett wrote: »

ahahaha

I just read that article and it is so spot on and hilarious. How can you disagree with this
    That's how much you motherfuckers suck. All those titles in every sport and you're all STILL unhappy. All the fucking time. If my team had three rings, I would skip around my neighborhood naked all day long, throwing cupcake sprinkles at everyone.

But noooooo, not New England fans. No no no, they have to spend every last waking second bitching about all the additional titles they should have won. The Red Sox won a title last season—their third in the past decade—and yet they still bitch about the team sucking this year! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. These are terrible people, and they root for a team run by a terrible man who demands passion from his players and then cuts those same players as bloodlessly as a guillotine operator. They are disloyal and hypocritical. They demand fealty and offer none of their own. Fuck them. Charles Barkley knows what time it is.

OK, that part was right.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Bullshit. Before his injury he was one of the best QBs in the league, let alone the rookie class. He threw like 350 yards in his first game (and ran another 80) and he did this playing with the slurs line and the slurs receiver core.

He was amazing right up until his injury. And he was competent even with the first injury in he playoff game against the Hawks. But after that game? Donezo. Whatever drive he had was dead, whatever pep he had was gone.

But before that? Really good.

When his legs got taken away it provides at least a bit of proof that his QB IQ just isn't there. The article I remember did go through tape of him missing openings that other QBs just wouldnt. I also remember his TE blasting him as well (Cooley) as a QB who just couldnt get it done. I like RG3, dont get me wrong, he probably has the best arm, in my opinion, since Vick. And, as others have said, there is the news of him not putting in the work either.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Man, it's kind of a shame he didn't wait a week to do the "Why Your Team Sucks" for the Chargers.

I mean, I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, but Rivers signed a new deal and, well: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/17/rivers-will-make-375-million-this-year/

That seems a little insane, honestly. I guess it's upfront bonuses and everything, but sheesh.

Edit: Slight clarification from the URL because I know how that looks, but that's $37.5 million, not $375. Hah.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Every "why your team sucks" article is supposed to be brutal.
    The Houston one hits a bit below the belt, but probably only because i actually love that city.
    I don't see any reason to get all butt hurt about the article. They equally offend everyone at some point in time! Its all in good humor anyway.
    I grew up in Houston (18 years), left, and have no plans of ever going back (except to visit friends/family). Unless you have a specific reason to go to Houston, there is no reason to go, especially during the months of April through September; fuck that heat and fuck that humidity. Of course, I left in 2001, so apparently a lot has changed with things in the city, but you'll never catch me moving back. I thought the description of how the city is was harsh but kind of accurate.

That being said, I thought last year's Why Your Team Sucks on the Texans was more cleverly written with the Houston bashing; this year's just ran out of things to say and tried to re-hash last year's. The difference was he took out the Schaub jersey burning (I'm still embarrassed by that) and replaced it with Watt hating.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The cap hits seem pretty reasonable to me.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Man, it's kind of a shame he didn't wait a week to do the "Why Your Team Sucks" for the Chargers.

I mean, I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, but Rivers signed a new deal and, well: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/17/rivers-will-make-375-million-this-year/

That seems a little insane, honestly. I guess it's upfront bonuses and everything, but sheesh.

Edit: Slight clarification from the URL because I know how that looks, but that's $37.5 million, not $375. Hah.

I will maintain to this day that if Rivers went to the Giants they would have won at least one more Superbowl over Eli's Giants.

• Options

ahahaha

OK, that part was right.

I kinda disagree. Patriots will cut you when you're done, yea, just like every team. But they're not disloyal. They have done plenty of little things to let players hit incentives or get them a little extra cash when didn't have to

They just aren't going to pay you big bucks when you suck and are old

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Dranyth wrote: »

I will maintain to this day that if Rivers went to the Giants they would have won at least one more Superbowl over Eli's Giants.

This year is 'supposed' to be their year.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

ahahaha

OK, that part was right.

I kinda disagree. Patriots will cut you when you're done, yea, just like every team. But they're not disloyal. They have done plenty of little things to let players hit incentives or get them a little extra cash when didn't have to

They just aren't going to pay you big bucks when you suck and are old

Didn't they cut a guy right before the Super Bowl (as a necessary roster move) but still give him a ring? I don't remember the full story anymore.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.