Options

Welcome to the Pin Pals! Prime 2015 New Members Thread

2»

• Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't people saying that they might sell them on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Also for newcomers: DSBs are really good to get fodder for staff trades and sometimes they have really cool stuff veterans put on the staff trade tables knowing that a newcomer might get it from the DSB.

BrushwoodMutt on
  • Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    As a newcomer I was planning on buying a bunch to get fodder plus gambling for good stuff. Do they get announced on Twitter? Should I setup text notifications for the Pinny Arcade account? I.e. do I need to go into full PAX-tickets alert mode?

• Options
    Watch @Retnus, Brian's twitter, that is where all merch stuff gets announced first

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    skeller wrote: »
    As a newcomer I was planning on buying a bunch to get fodder plus gambling for good stuff. Do they get announced on Twitter? Should I setup text notifications for the Pinny Arcade account? I.e. do I need to go into full PAX-tickets alert mode?

The last time they basically said it will happen on "x" day. Now that the DSB LE Merch is known to be in them, I'm not sure that they will announce it, it will probably be kinda like the prime tickets where you know it'll happen sometime around "X" week.

I think, like ticket sales, they are trying different techniques out to try and get them to the most people. So you never know what they will do for the next batch! ^_^ I honestly wouldn't be on high alert till after Australia, because it takes the warehouse team A LOT of work and effort to prepare for a DSB sale, and with Aus coming up in less then two months I doubt they have it as a priority. *Personal opinion*

• Options
    edited September 2015
    00Fayt00 wrote: »

The last time they basically said it will happen on "x" day. Now that the DSB LE Merch is known to be in them, I'm not sure that they will announce it, it will probably be kinda like the prime tickets where you know it'll happen sometime around "X" week.

I think, like ticket sales, they are trying different techniques out to try and get them to the most people. So you never know what they will do for the next batch! ^_^ I honestly wouldn't be on high alert till after Australia, because it takes the warehouse team A LOT of work and effort to prepare for a DSB sale, and with Aus coming up in less then two months I doubt they have it as a priority. *Personal opinion*

After Aus like say Black Friday? *wink wink nudge nudge* No but seriously that would give them about a month to set it up and it would get the boxes out well before South, which I assume is their goal like trying to get them out before Prime.

Edit: My fixation on this is really to try and see if anyone else has more concrete info to verify or dispute this idea.

BrushwoodMutt on
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »

After Aus like say Black Friday? *wink wink nudge nudge* No but seriously that would give them about a month to set it up and it would get the boxes out well before South, which I assume is their goal like trying to get them out before Prime.

Edit: My fixation on this is really to try and see if anyone else has more concrete info to verify or dispute this idea.

I think there has been speculation on Black Friday, but getting PA to verify that...*laughs* good luck with that one!!

• Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Another new person question -- is the general rule that if you're wearing a pin on your lanyard you want to trade it? That's how Pinny Pals seems setup, but this seems kind of counter-intuitive to me... like wouldn't you want to show off your favorites on your lanyard?

skeller on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Another new person question -- is the general rule that if you're wearing a pin on your lanyard you want to trade it? That's how Pinny Pals seems setup, but this seems kind of counter-intuitive to me... like wouldn't you want to show off your favorites on your lanyard?
    I just look for pins as a sign of someone interested in trading.

I don't assume what they are wearing (or all of it) is available for trade, but it allows me to start the conversation.

As for showing off, that's fine, more power to you. Me, I leave everything I am not trading at home. Don't have to worry about it that way.

• Options
    hackyhacky Registered User regular
    "Everything I'm wearing is potentially tradeable" is a line I've been increasingly happy to say. Just acknowledging that even so, we value some pins over others -- a Leeroy Jenkins on my bag is tradeable, but I'll want something really nice for it since it's one of my favorites. It's totally fine to wear a pin with no intention of trading it. Though, if the right trade comes around...

• Options

At Prime I found plenty wearing to show off, I know because I asked. Which is the crux of it, I learned that it's okay to ask if something is up for trade or if they do trade pins. So long as you are polite and respectful if they say no then you should be fine.

Also not sure how common it is but I know I didn't wear them on my lanyard and instead carried around the pin bag. So that might be a new identifier?

• Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    At East I had trade pins on my lanyard and 'show off' pins on my jacket, but at Aus (if the weather clears up at all) I'll probably have a mix on my lanyard(s). I'm always polite if someone asks me about a pin I want to keep, because there are some that I just won't trade for anything (Ellie, Second Son, etc.).

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Also not sure how common it is but I know I didn't wear them on my lanyard and instead carried around the pin bag. So that might be a new identifier?

I think my plan at South will be to use lanyards to display my favorite pins/identify myself as available for trades, and then use the pin bag to carry that which I'm actually willing to use in trades.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Count3DCount3D Count Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Hi, all. I'm Count3D and I started collecting pins when they came out in 2013. It was fun, I managed to collect all of the ones at PAX Prime that year.
    9674911390_188c6a06c1_c.jpg

I didn't do any collecting in 2014 because I figured it'd be a one time thing but I decided to get back into it at Prime this year. When I looked into it I saw the pindustry had kind of exploded and the community had really taken off. It was great to brush up at the Pinny Arcade panel and trade table and I managed to collect all the Prime 2015 pins.
    20837827990_2c82bed439_o.jpg

Managed to acquire some cool stuff and hoping to trade between now and next PAX Prime.

• Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Count3D wrote: »
    Hi, all. I'm Count3D and I started collecting pins when they came out in 2013. It was fun, I managed to collect all of the ones at PAX Prime that year.
    9674911390_188c6a06c1_c.jpg

I didn't do any collecting in 2014 because I figured it'd be a one time thing but I decided to get back into it at Prime this year. When I looked into it I saw the pindustry had kind of exploded and the community had really taken off. It was great to brush up at the Pinny Arcade panel and trade table and I managed to collect all the Prime 2015 pins.
    20837827990_2c82bed439_o.jpg

Managed to acquire some cool stuff and hoping to trade between now and next PAX Prime.

Congrats dude! And if you ever feel like adding to your collection with other shows' pins, we trade year round! :)