Options

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    I've been there. It's not Bootstrap though. It's the DOM in general. Every browser will refuse to fire input events on disabled form controls. For clicks this makes enough sense, but I've never heard anyone defend it as sensible behaviour for mouse movement events. It's just one of dozens of parts of the DOM that work the way they do because every browser vendor saw every other browser vendor doing roughly the same thing and decided it was the de facto standard. The W3C says nothing on the issue, and nobody cares enough to bring it up.

The usual workaround is to bind the handler on a containing parent element instead. Typically (in most browsers that I can recall), the events will still bubble up the DOM tree, even if they don't fire on the disabled element itself. If you find a browser where that's not the case, the uglier workaround is to put an invisible absolute container on top of the disabled element, and let that catch the events instead.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »
    I've been there. It's not Bootstrap though. It's the DOM in general. Every browser will refuse to fire input events on disabled form controls. For clicks this makes enough sense, but I've never heard anyone defend it as sensible behaviour for mouse movement events. It's just one of dozens of parts of the DOM that work the way they do because every browser vendor saw every other browser vendor doing roughly the same thing and decided it was the de facto standard. The W3C says nothing on the issue, and nobody cares enough to bring it up.

The usual workaround is to bind the handler on a containing parent element instead. Typically (in most browsers that I can recall), the events will still bubble up the DOM tree, even if they don't fire on the disabled element itself. If you find a browser where that's not the case, the uglier workaround is to put an invisible absolute container on top of the disabled element, and let that catch the events instead.

narrows eyes

DOM.

Grrrrrrrrrgghrghghhghrghrhg

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hmm. So this api reuses sequence numbers on the packet headers. That's an ... interesting approach.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

narrows eyes

DOM.

Grrrrrrrrrgghrghghhghrghrhg

one of us

one of us

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

That's not sufficiently hacky.
    Build your own button control with hookers and blackjack and when it's 'disabled' instead just restyle it and rebind the click event to a different or no handler.
    That way you can give a sufficiently large aneurysm to the next person to maintain it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

That's not sufficiently hacky.
    Build your own button control with hookers and blackjack and when it's 'disabled' instead just restyle it and rebind the click event to a different or no handler.
    That way you can give a sufficiently large aneurysm to the next person to maintain it.

I was going to say you could make a CSS element for the button. Change it to that when it's "disabled" and then change the onClick to display a popover.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    That's not a hack. Major frameworks work with styling a/div tags instead of button for button behavior and disabled is just another css class.

• Options
    God it's so embarrassing how long I spend trying to get these if/else statements to do what I want them to do.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Subversion frustrates me now as much as git used to. How things have changed!

Although, to be fair, before I had used hg or git, I used svn's branches only sparingly.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah. SVN is great until you have to branch and merge, whereas in git it's one of the easiest things you can do.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    This batch data creation tool will be the death of me. Run once in isolation? Great!

Try to run concurrently? Burn in hell!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It should be a really simple concept. If you don't want me calling you at 1 in the morning, don't have your process generate 5000 errors a minute. Because if I get an alert about a server in the middle of the night, that server better be on fire.

And telling me "Oh, that's not a critical error." does not make me any happier.

• Options
    I managed to corrupt both of my dev machines, woo! I have spent all morning rebuilding the VMs from scratch. My own fault, I suppose. At what point in sane development is "eh, delete this and see what happens" reasonable?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    I managed to corrupt both of my dev machines, woo! I have spent all morning rebuilding the VMs from scratch. My own fault, I suppose. At what point in sane development is "eh, delete this and see what happens" reasonable?

Always? That's why we have VMs, right?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »

Always? That's why we have VMs, right?

You're right.

I should have run that experiment on the public test VM.

• Options
    Also, isn't that the point of having VMs? That you can keep snapshots of them if they get messed up and restore to like, a few days ago at worst?

• Options
    So the solution was a semaphore that got written to the database and abandoned as active by one of my crashed batch jobs. Took the right engineer lead all of 15 seconds to call it.

Though my solution of "Nuke everything" did work, in my defense!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Semaphores

all those philosophers trying to eat with insufficient cutlery.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Just got my first cheque from the new gig.

Uhh, damn.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Just got my first cheque from the new gig.

Uhh, damn.

yeah, that was how I felt last week.

niiiiiice

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Now to figure out how much to hold onto for tax time because these are for "consulting."

Doing enough of that personally now and not as an employee that I finally had to register for GST and bill that out. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Now to figure out how much to hold onto for tax time because these are for "consulting."

Doing enough of that personally now and not as an employee that I finally had to register for GST and bill that out. :rotate:

In the US you'd hold at least 40% to be "sure".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    And need to pay a quarterly estimated amount to avoid penalties.

• Options
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Maybe a dumb question. I'm trying to teach myself a bit more about android apps and have no idea where to start. I'd like to make something simple like a Choose Your Own Adventure type thing. This Lifeline game I'm seeing seems similar to what I'd like to experiment with making. Would I just go through the Android Studio thing?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Maybe a dumb question. I'm trying to teach myself a bit more about android apps and have no idea where to start. I'd like to make something simple like a Choose Your Own Adventure type thing. This Lifeline game I'm seeing seems similar to what I'd like to experiment with making. Would I just go through the Android Studio thing?

Yeah. Definitely go through the process of installing the Android Studio toolkit.

However, a lot of the GUI widgets that you see in the app you're referencing was probably a non-trivial amount of custom work; even though it is mostly text based.

It's not insurmountable, and a pretty fun ride (disclaimer: Java :rotate:) Go through some of the tutorials, download some of the example projects, and you should be able to get something off the ground.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Orrrrr you could do a hybrid app

which is basically html/css/javascript that you then use something like cordava or PhoneGap to compile out to ObjectiveC or Java to work as an app on mobile devices.

( if you go this route i reccomend http://ionicframework.com/ )

OR

you could use React Native ;P

JAVASCRIPT EVERYWHERRRRRRRREEE

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Is react native out for Android??

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Orrrrr you could do a hybrid app

which is basically html/css/javascript that you then use something like cordava or PhoneGap to compile out to ObjectiveC or Java to work as an app on mobile devices.

( if you go this route i reccomend http://ionicframework.com/ )

OR

you could use React Native ;P

JAVASCRIPT EVERYWHERRRRRRRREEE

That will not help to teach him about android apps :p

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Guys I am so happy.

My business is officially moving away from the consulting model and restructuring. By January, 90% of our income should be coming from our new product and doing random services for customers will be gone.

We're also doing this weird quasi-startup thing now? Where the owner is looking for angel investors so he can grow the company. But we aren't a startup, because we actually make profit and can support the company's bills without investing...I dunno, it's weird!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    product based software engineering is soooooo much better than service/consulting based.

it's night and day.

at least in my experience

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    After hours of crap. I have finally pinned down the issue with my batch job. The first and second subjobs were tracking record id's separately. They started off synced. However, on some subsequent run, the first subjob would attempt to insert a claimed record id, hit the existing one, fail. Now, to add insult, the failure would force an abort and a rollback, wiping both sets of record id's back to their initial, synced state. You would be left with a duplicate error log to a DB record that didn't exist and a stack trace which worked every time.

Good God!

• Options
    How do you guys normally handle dependencies for code on a revision system?

Should I just add a 'dependency' folder and drop all the libraries in there (mostly dlls) ?

Or is it usually a separate project?

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    We do ours as separate projects. But we also package/install them separately from the rest of our software. On windows since you usually package everything together (I think, not a windows dev) then a dependency folder is probably ok.

• Options
    I noticed last night that I had unencrypted passwords stored on git via the app.config :rotate:

Right after we got done ragging on others about doing that.

• Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    urahonky wrote: »

ask and ye shall receive
    https://github.com/facebook/react-native/commit/42eb5464fd8a65ed84b799de5d4dc225349449be

jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

it is now!

https://code.facebook.com/posts/1189117404435352/

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    noooo, ghosted!

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my God I can't wait to get my hands on it

• Options
    That's what she said.

This discussion has been closed.