Options

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    My professor just asked my class if we would be happy making $60,000 a year at an entry level job after graduation. Everyone said no...

These kids must come from rich families. :P

Ha, that's about what I will make as an engineer here in Denmark. And about 50% of that is going straight to taxes. And they want more than that, in a country that has a lower cost of living, without any experience?

That's what I got coming out of school 6 years ago, in US/Georgia. There are plenty of STEM BS programs where $60k is a low amount in 2015.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    My professor just asked my class if we would be happy making $60,000 a year at an entry level job after graduation. Everyone said no...

Ha, that's about what I will make as an engineer here in Denmark. And about 50% of that is going straight to taxes. And they want more than that, in a country that has a lower cost of living, without any experience?

60K can go a long way depending where you live in the states, and similarly not far at all if you live in the more expensive places

That being said, if I was a fresh college grad I would have clawed my way over that entire class to start at 60K. Those folks are in for a world of hurt when they graduate it sounds like

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

latest?cb=20100106035745

Wait...everyone said no...?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't in STEM (biz major here), but I was overjoyed to get high 30's after being unemployed for 6 months. Seeing our recruiting now, it can be downright brutal.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    It really depends on the major.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    That's actually not far from what entry level jobs out of college should be providing, if wages hadn't been mostly stagnating for nearly two decades, so they're not entirely wrong. When I was in late high school, everything I heard and talked to my counselors advisors about, high five/low six figure salaries were all but guaranteed.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My mom has been a paralegal for twenty years and she STILL doesn't make anywhere close to 60k

Goddamn kids these days

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    shit at this point I would have to actually, genuinely consider sexual favors in return for a $40k/yr job, and that's with a 2-yr and 3+ years experience, and in IT

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

latest?cb=20100106035745

Well I started nodding and then I looked around and people were vehemently shaking their heads and saying "hell no" lol.

I'm a STEM major and $60k would allow me to live comfortably, so I wouldn't complain. Especially for my first "real" job.

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

latest?cb=20100106035745

Well I started nodding and then I looked around and people were vehemently shaking their heads and saying "hell no" lol.

What's your major builderr0r?

• Options

latest?cb=20100106035745

I'm a STEM major and $60k would allow me to live comfortably, so I wouldn't complain. Especially for my first "real" job.

The dangers of peer pressure. Didn't you learn anything in D.A.R.E.?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Everyone is outside now. Fire alarm went off. Not a drill. No one knows why.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

latest?cb=20100106035745

I'm a computer science major interested in web development, which pays ~40-70k for entry level. The class I'm in is an elective though, so there are a bunch of different majors. I think I'm the only computer science major here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I've got a friend who's about to graduate as a software engineer and he was talking about a place offering a $50k entry level position and how low of an offer it was and it was really bugging me. Like, I get that average wages in that field are higher than that and all, but I make significantly less than that, several years out of school, so it's kind of hard for me to sympathize there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Update:

No fire. No one pulled it either. It just went off for no reason.

Yay!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I don't mind people in computer careers complaining about wanting relatively higher wages when you consider that most of the time you need certifications to get ahead and get the job, and on top of that a lot technology changes so re-certs and retraining and staying up to speed can be a constant, pricey vigil.

*says the guy with no certs*

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

latest?cb=20100106035745

What sort of STEM are we talking about here?

Like in Life Sciences that sort of money would be super fantastic whilst some engineering disciplines it'd be on the high side of reasonable. Heck its roughly what I'm making now with over half a decades experience my STEM field.

Course with those sorts of expectations those kids either are a) in a field with that sort of pay or b) have connections that'll land those sorts of pay.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It also depends on region, as even train conductors make 80k+ in the bay area (and you need that to pay rents there), whereas the pay scales down pretty precipitously as you go more rural or non-traditional IT regions.

• Options
    edited October 2015

latest?cb=20100106035745

My only concern would be to be sure the company isn't just shortchanging the employee because it's "entry level". Sometimes a company has less than competitive wages but makes up for it in benefits or general working conditions, or an aggressive promotion track. But other times they just pay less because they can, and that might belie a lack of respect for their employese.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

latest?cb=20100106035745

I'm a computer science major interested in web development, which pays ~40-70k for entry level. The class I'm in is an elective though, so there are a bunch of different majors. I think I'm the only computer science major here.

h5 for fellow CS Major

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

15 years ago, first year heavy plant technician apprentices were getting hired on at Argyle Diamond to work 4 weeks on, 1 week off at their mines for that kind of money. Those guys would easily be making a quarter of a million dollars/annum on 2&1 swings these days, just maintaining plant equipment in diamond mines. Some jobs you just walk into a pile of cash that slowly becomes a mountain of cash if you keep at it.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Weeeeee! The insurance company recruiters are at it again.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Update:

Yay!

This is our sign of Spring arriving. Every year in March, the sprinklers down in the basement garage get screwy thanks to the warming temperatures, and go off. It's always happened on a beautiful day so far.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Update:

Yay!

Probably a ghost fire.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    £60k a year... Starting salary... Crazy!!

My starting should be around 18/20, that is more money than I can imagine though compared to what I've previously earned so no complaints from me.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

My starting should be around 18/20, that is more money than I can imagine though compared to what I've previously earned so no complaints from me.

What's the average cost of living where you are, Liiya? Google tells me £20k is roughly $30k.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2015

$60k is closer to £39.4k/yr

Tox on
  • Options
    Where I am now rent is maybe 500 as a flat share, which I'd do to save money. basically I'd be fine and able to save money for the first time ever!!

• Options
    Where I am now rent is maybe 500 as a flat share, which I'd do to save money. basically I'd be fine and able to save money for the first time ever!!

How much gets deducted for taxes and other funding? Roughly 25% of my paycheck each week goes to income tax, social security, and medicare.

Sorry if this is too nosy--I'm just really curious how payscales work over there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

How much gets deducted for taxes and other funding? Roughly 25% of my paycheck each week goes to income tax, social security, and medicare.

Sorry if this is too nosy--I'm just really curious how payscales work over there.

Yeah same I was always curious how that works out

• Options
    Update:

Yay!

So youre saying it was a ghost

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    It depends on your salary I think but a website tells me,

"Earn £18,000 in 2015/2016 and you'll take home £15,327. This means £1,277 in your pocket a month.

Over the year you'll pay £1,480 income tax and £1,193 in National Insurance."

• Options
    To be honest I'm not entirely sure how it works, I've always earned minimum wage before!

• Options
    Oh man that's way less deductions, especially since a good chunk of that is insurance. Here, insurance and other work "benefits" have their own premiums that are taken out separately (a much smaller percentage, granted).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2015

I think it would be closer to £39.4k if we're doing US -> Pounds

edit: that's what I get for not looking at the next page, whoops.jpg

Naphtali on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm on £22.5k a year and my take home is around £1,450 a month. I was on a minimum wage internship last year (loved it to bits, best employment decision I've ever made) so this amount of money is kind of weird, especially as living at home means I get to save most of it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    That's not insurance like health insurance, that's what goes towards state pensions and job seekers allowance and stuff.

• Options
    That's not insurance like health insurance, that's what goes towards state pensions and job seekers allowance and stuff.

Ohh, gotcha. Yeah, pretty sure that's part of our general tax breakdown, too, although I think that stuff varies pretty significantly from state to state (our tax codes are really confusing if you haven't lived in one place your whole life).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Alright, so I didn't pass the test, but it's actually for a dumb reason and I don't really mind it.

I was supposed to take two tests today, the first being one of those lame "personality" tests that ask you questions like, "IS STEALING EVERY OK Y/N?" After that I was going to take a test about basic electronics (ohm's law, using a multimeter, that sort of thing). It was the electronics test I was worried about. But I didn't get that test because I failed the personality test! I had to think about it to figure out why. The reason was that on the "perfect salesperson" questions, I answered honestly. Questions like, "can you talk anyone into anything?" and "do you make friends easily?" Basically my company wants everyone to be a salesman, so answering no on those kinds of questions is what killed me. At least I know now, and the next time I take one of those exams, maybe for a job I actually want, I'll know how to answer.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Alright, so I didn't pass the test, but it's actually for a dumb reason and I don't really mind it.

I was supposed to take two tests today, the first being one of those lame "personality" tests that ask you questions like, "IS STEALING EVERY OK Y/N?" After that I was going to take a test about basic electronics (ohm's law, using a multimeter, that sort of thing). It was the electronics test I was worried about. But I didn't get that test because I failed the personality test! I had to think about it to figure out why. The reason was that on the "perfect salesperson" questions, I answered honestly. Questions like, "can you talk anyone into anything?" and "do you make friends easily?" Basically my company wants everyone to be a salesman, so answering no on those kinds of questions is what killed me. At least I know now, and the next time I take one of those exams, maybe for a job I actually want, I'll know how to answer.

I love how we've developed a culture of lying on personality tests for hiring, which means they are completely pointless.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.