Options

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Area doesn't really matter until you reach a certain point. If you make much below 30k, it won't really matter whether you live in state X or Y, because stuff like a car, car insurance, food, gas, etc are pretty equally priced throughout the country.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Area doesn't really matter until you reach a certain point. If you make much below 30k, it won't really matter whether you live in state X or Y, because stuff like a car, car insurance, food, gas, etc are pretty equally priced throughout the country.

car insurance can be very expensive in certain states (hello MA), gas is much higher in CA too

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

car insurance can be very expensive in certain states (hello MA), gas is much higher in CA too

Oddly enough I pay more for car insurance in FL than I ever did in MA, and I can't for a moment fathom how.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Oddly enough I pay more for car insurance in FL than I ever did in MA, and I can't for a moment fathom how.

that's a frightening prospect

edit: just going to NH from MA, i was able to drop my insurance several hundred dollars for the same level of coverage. it was like a revelation

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Multiple English teachers were out of the building during the last half of the day for some district thing. I just had three of their classes in the library with substitutes.

Thus reaffirming my life choices by becoming a Librarian.

Holy shit those kids. Seniors too.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I actually asked the insurance rep when I was signing up, and she basically levelled with me. So many people in FL drive without insurance, they need to raise rates on those that do, since their own companies are called to pay for medical costs etc, even if the other person is at fault.

• Options

I actually asked the insurance rep when I was signing up, and she basically levelled with me. So many people in FL drive without insurance, they need to raise rates on those that do, since their own companies are called to pay for medical costs etc, even if the other person is at fault.

oh, so its the same story as why MA is so high

makes sense

• Options

oh, so its the same story as why MA is so high

makes sense

Yeah. Basically rates are higher in no-fault states.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Seniors can be the worst because they're at maximum levels of entitlement and self-assuredness and minimum levels of giving a shit.

I just mean in general, though, plenty of individual high schoolers are perfectly fine young adults.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Its ok, the job place doesn't close until 4. They still could call in the next half hour....

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    $27k is about where most IT call centers will try and hire people, give or take $2/hr.

Most of the internal IT helpdesks around here hire at about $15-$18.

Those jobs are generally considered entry-level.

As a general rule, bussers and barbacks make anywhere from 150% to 200% of that. At a popular nightclub in Dallas (before the economy went into the shitter), I paid my barback between $100 and $200 a night, four nights a week. I don't think the economy has bounced back *that much* but I'm pretty sure I could manage that with my background.

The only issue is selling myself to a potential employer.

Q: Why don't you wan't to bartend anymore?

A: Longer hours, same-ish pay, people are horrid when they're drunk.

Q: So why should I hire you?

A: I've forgotten more about mixing drinks than your top three bartenders will ever know.

Q: You don't seem like a people person. Why is that?

A: Most people are idiots when they're sober and you are no exception.

Okay, maybe I could tone it down.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

'Florida Man' is a thing.

Granted, so is 'Masshole' so... I don't know either.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Q: You don't seem like a people person. Why is that?

A: People.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Alright, so I didn't pass the test, but it's actually for a dumb reason and I don't really mind it.

I was supposed to take two tests today, the first being one of those lame "personality" tests that ask you questions like, "IS STEALING EVERY OK Y/N?" After that I was going to take a test about basic electronics (ohm's law, using a multimeter, that sort of thing). It was the electronics test I was worried about. But I didn't get that test because I failed the personality test! I had to think about it to figure out why. The reason was that on the "perfect salesperson" questions, I answered honestly. Questions like, "can you talk anyone into anything?" and "do you make friends easily?" Basically my company wants everyone to be a salesman, so answering no on those kinds of questions is what killed me. At least I know now, and the next time I take one of those exams, maybe for a job I actually want, I'll know how to answer.

You applied for a job at a secret thieves guild. Answering no to stealing everything is what cost you.

• Options
    Binary answers to moral questions are almost always a trap anyway.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Q: Is it ever moral to create questions involving morals that require binary answers?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me that companies have those sorts of tests. It's all basically "how well can you read what we want to hear and then tell us that exactly?"

The whole thing is basically an exercise in finding the best liars/the most sycophantic toadies you can get youe grubby little hands on.

Which is appropriate for big corporations.

I know I lost out on several jobs when I was a youngster because I felt bad about not being absolutely truthful during the application process. One day my older brother took me aside and was like "your commitment to honesty and integrity is admirable but you gotta get dem ducats brah seriously just tell em what they wanna hear and spin em a web of bullshit, get money get paid"

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise...

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Interview for job yesterday went well, and today I got a call from the same recruiter saying she wants to present my resume to two more jobs.

So that's cool!

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise...

Voight-Kampff test isn't about the answers, it's about the recipient's reactions to the questions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    My professor just asked my class if we would be happy making $60,000 a year at an entry level job after graduation. Everyone said no...

These kids must come from rich families. :P

Ha, that's about what I will make as an engineer here in Denmark. And about 50% of that is going straight to taxes. And they want more than that, in a country that has a lower cost of living, without any experience?

That's what I got coming out of school 6 years ago, in US/Georgia. There are plenty of STEM BS programs where $60k is a low amount in 2015.

I have never earned this much.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What do you have to study that $60k is a "low amount in 2015"

• Options
    I've never earned more than like

$35k a year

in the bay area

and then that was for a very short time and I was laid off

• Options
    Seriously, which are the fields which let you rake in the $$$ in the US and elsewhere

I've always found it hard to get a grasp on this because people usually only make allusions

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Usually the fields that occupy you too much to actually spend said $$$.

• Options
    Can you offer an example

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Investment banking
    Consultant for one of the big 3
    Lawyer at a high end firm

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Is there a specific kind of anxiety disorder that only relates to work environments? Cuz I seriously get this enormous knot in my stomach as I'm getting ready for work?

I think that's just regular anxiety tbh

It is SO BAD though, and I've never dealt with anxiety ever so it's extra hard cuz I'm just sitting here on the verge of hyperventilating and I just UUGGHHHH and then I start thinking "WHY ARE YOU SUCH LAZY GARBAGE, ME? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST PULL UP THEM BOOTSTRAPS AND GO TO WORK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON" and then I get super depressed about it too and I am fundamentally broken as a human being.

Hey, no

You're not broken you're just dealing with stuff like we all do!

Have a little internet hug on me

• Options
    Those are jobs, not really things you study at uni

• Options
    Engineers

• Options
    I mean, bank robbery can be pretty lucrative.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Engineers

Depends on the branch of engineering, the level of degree you have, and the part of the country you're working in, but yeah, potentially.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Finance is a good one, though

but you need to go to the right school and enter at the right level

Basically at some point you realise that because you went to a regular ass school and then did a regular ass degree then you are going to start off with a regular ass job and maybe move up from there. Which is a bit depressing, but also a bit liberating! When you stop beating yourself up for not being a hot shot exec you can actually start to spend time investigating what you practically might want to do.

I'm thinking a lot about teaching. I like the idea of being a primary school teacher. When I was unemployed a volunteered at a school and I loved helping those kids learn. Obviously it's tough to be a teacher and that, for sure but I reckon I could do it.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I briefly made 60k a year.. currently kind of stuck at around 50 and trying to work back up.
    After a Master's degree in chemistry and working in the field for almost a decade.

60k starting is for rich people with connections or lucky people in high demand fields.
    Kinda wish I had stuck with math and became an actuary or accountant.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    What's a good answer to "I see you have a paralegal degree, is that something you want to do at some point?" that isn't just "uh well yes but I mean I want THIS job too uh uh uh"

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    What's a good answer to "I see you have a paralegal degree, is that something you want to do at some point?" that isn't just "uh well yes but I mean I want THIS job too uh uh uh"

"Its something thats on the horizon for me in several/x years, but right now I'd like to get some practical first hand skills that I can work on, and that later on I'll be able to use. Right now I'm quite interested in seeing what this position is all about".

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

"Obviously I would really like to put my qualifications to good use in my job, but having a paralegal degree does make me suitable for this position for this, this and this reason, and so while it isn't strictly the same field, I do think I'll be drawing on what I learnt in my studies quite a lot! It's nice to keep my options open, but I like to take on new challenges and that can definitely include work that isn't immediately what someone might think of when they look at my resume."

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I currently make just under 30k/year as a state employee doing hotel front desk at a state owned/operated hotel. I make just enough to cover my bills, but it still puts me at the top of what I can make doing what I do and is also the most I've ever made.

For reference, Rent is ~$800/month for a decent 1 bedroom. Cost of Living index, according to the Census Bureau, was 110% of the US average in 2012.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    I currently make just under 30k/year as a state employee doing hotel front desk at a state owned/operated hotel. I make just enough to cover my bills, but it still puts me at the top of what I can make doing what I do and is also the most I've ever made.

For reference, Rent is ~$800/month for a decent 1 bedroom. Cost of Living index, according to the Census Bureau, was 110% of the US average in 2012.

I would murder someone for $800 a month rent

not really

but

damn

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is international day for homecoming week.

For that I asked my mom and she got out my grandfather's old Irish sweater and cap. I'm going to look like an extra from Father Ted!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.