Options

[Payday 2] Ron Perlman joins the crew! THE BIKER PACK available now!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So I missed the part about stats being tied to skins, does this mean skins are like RPG characters, growing and evolving, similar to those dealing in TF2?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I missed the part about stats being tied to skins, does this mean skins are like RPG characters, growing and evolving, similar to those dealing in TF2?

Information on this is highly sparse, it sounds like the regular skins just have prebaked mod loadouts that at a glance can look like actual stats, but the 'highly rare' ones actually do have bonuses, apparently.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Information on this is highly sparse, it sounds like the regular skins just have prebaked mod loadouts that at a glance can look like actual stats, but the 'highly rare' ones actually do have bonuses, apparently.

So something like Diablo and the like?
    Edit: Oh, so regular skins don't have stat bonuses but 'highly rare' ones do?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Edit: Oh, so regular skins don't have stat bonuses but 'highly rare' ones do?

As I understand it, yes, but I'm just going off of what I've heard other people say, I have no clue if this is correct.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Step by step method on how to kill a gaming community
    I should have made more popcorn

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Final step in that process: sell mods. Might as well go all the day down the hole!

• Options
    GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    as someone who has always adored Payday 2 and bought most of the DLC (usually on sale but still) and convinced other friends to pick it up and put more hours into it than is probably necessary

this is all breaking my heart

i've never been in a community that has been set on fire so badly. one of the popular theories, similar to what someone mentioned earlier, is that they're making fun of TF2/CSGO skins and it's all going to get rolled back at the end of Crimefest like "ahh! got you!"

and while that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard (because there's no way they could possibly think it's worth losing as much goodwill as they are right now, especially when actual money has already exchanged hands), people are latching onto it because the actual truth of what is happening is so goddamned stupid that the alternative actually sounds less crazy

Goldenbarqs on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just glad they haven't touched Payday 1. But they were such a cool team at the beginning, especially with that hidden achievement. What happened?

I even argued that they were doing DLC right with the various packs allowing the user to pick and choose what they wanted.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They did DLC right, to a certain extent

Allowing people who bought certain DLC heists to host them for other players was brilliant

Selling packs of guns that are wildly better than what can be obtained in the base game was less so

• Options
    Someone complied a spreadsheet of the gun stat changes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uX8kuuG6FUO3rH0_n3xlRbvxtQJUExT1XwPk0n-uNeY/edit

Accuracy/stability across the board seem to be nerfed but damage is up to two break points, 80 and 40 dmg.

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    i've never been in a community that has been set on fire so badly. one of the popular theories, similar to what someone mentioned earlier, is that they're making fun of TF2/CSGO skins and it's all going to get rolled back at the end of Crimefest like "ahh! got you!"
    It is one of the theories, but then it's an extremely bad joke, and on that they should abort as fast as possible. Day 2 came in went, and the only communication we had was VA of Chains who told us that they are listening to us.

As for why Overkill turned from this cool small company to whatever the hell they are now, it's simple: they got big. People bought DLC packs despite base game having a ton of unresolved issues since launch, so they stopped caring.

And, while we can't prove it yet, their general attitude and future plans may be so bad, that they led some of the core members to leave. Ulf Andersson, one of the founders of Overkill and VA of Wolf has left and won't be participating in game's development any more(which means no new lines for Wolf). Simon Viklund, composer, also left. Obviously, they might have left for other reasons, but it's entirely possible that they got too sick of what was happening behind the curtains.

Then there is this person, an "inside source" who may or may not be legit, potentialy leaking future plans to fans.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's appropriate that crimefest is happening near halloween. As it turns into a terrifying cautionary tale about the effects of success changing a b-level shooter into one with a triple A business model.

also I'm patched @RisenPhoenix so we can play... whenever I'm not at work. Which will be all weekend regretfully.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    On the upside for me at least, I only put about $25 into buying the game and the first few DLC on sale. So either way I don't take too much of a hit, although I'm stuck between not wanting to play it now (once I get through some of the rest of my backlog) due to the current douchebaggery and wanting to give it a try sometime even though I'll feel like I'm missing out since I don't have most of the DLC.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm the same way, basically. I guess I cant be TOO mad, since I didn't pay much for the game, but at the same time, this might've killed any chance I maybe had to get into the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got the basic game for free because of the SE++ steam gifting during xmas
    I have paid for the dlc basically twice since I am paying for when my brother wants a game
    I have not played it since the patch and well seeing the pure hate and pyrrhic victory they seems to be going for is killing what interest I had left in the game

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    New heist for Day 3, which actually sounds like a pretty cool premise.

• Options
    Played it. Lots of bag moving(12 bags on DW, not sure if it depends on difficulty). Some driving. Overall the heist is short.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So there's some tinfoil hatting going on. Between all the 'haha look at us copying CSGO' pokes all over and a thread asking if anyone has gotten a safe drop aside from that guaranteed first one, there is a non-zero chance that overkill may be doing some hilariously ill-advised publicity stunt or some such.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have paid for the dlc basically twice since I am paying for when my brother wants a game
    I have not played it since the patch and well seeing the pure hate and pyrrhic victory they seems to be going for is killing what interest I had left in the game
    The game hasn't changed at all really, it's still pretty fun and a good co(o)p shooter. It's just that the developers seem to have had som farflung hope of making it into a money printer, something that will never affect your actual gaming experience.
    Round of some friends to casually play on ovk, a difficulty even most pubs won't have too much problems with if you go at it alone.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    So there's some tinfoil hatting going on. Between all the 'haha look at us copying CSGO' pokes all over and a thread asking if anyone has gotten a safe drop aside from that guaranteed first one, there is a non-zero chance that overkill may be doing some hilariously ill-advised publicity stunt or some such.
    It is a theory, but people have already payed real money for drills. And I doubt it can be a publicity stunt. They are still silent, not a single word of explanation or apology. If your publicity stun goes wrong, you go for as much damage control as possible. Instead they don't do anything and let the flame burn. Funny how it took just two years to turn my general respect towards Overkill into hatred.
    Panda4You wrote: »
    The game hasn't changed at all really, it's still pretty fun and a good co(o)p shooter. It's just that the developers seem to have had som farflung hope of making it into a money printer, something that will never affect your actual gaming experience.
    Round of some friends to casually play on ovk, a difficulty even most pubs won't have too much problems with if you go at it alone.
    I wouldn't say so. Weapon rebalance has made the game even more unbalanced that it used to be. If you can ignore that then you can enjoy the game.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, there is almost certainly some sort of fuckery going on, you know how Wolf's VA left? Wolf's mask is missing from the merch store, and Wolf's wandered into the labyrinth on the road to crimefest page.

• Options
    Pretty much. Bear in mind that Ulf Andersson wasn't just Wolf's VA. He was one of the founders of Overkill, and a brother to current CEO of Starbreeze, Bo Andersson. So him leaving can signify serious issues within Overkill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I don't think any amount of "ololol I troll u" could fix the reputation hit Overkill is going through.

The sub reddit is on fire as well, and it seems like the only response people are getting is basically "we aren't going to issue an official response because you'll all just twist our words to make us look bad" when Overkill doesn't need help looking bad right now

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. Weapon rebalance has made the game even more unbalanced that it used to be. If you can ignore that then you can enjoy the game.
    The only imbalance right now is pistols shooting lasers, and maybe shotguns being somewhat underperforming. And these are issues I honestly expect to be patched within two weeks. Even so, every gun still kills cops with no problems.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I don't think any amount of "ololol I troll u" could fix the reputation hit Overkill is going through.
    Oh, it is entirely a horrible idea, but there are certainly things pointing towards this being planned out. At the very least, one would think they're self-aware enough to not go through with that 400 Bucks achievement after the community blowout over Vlad's deal with Valve to sell safes.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Yeah of course. They pulled a joke that just destroyed their entire reputation, impacted their reviews on steam, managed to lead to front-page threads in the highly popular "gaming" subreddit about the shit they pulled, and are already agreeing to monetized transactions. Of course it's a joke. Also jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Redthirst wrote: »
    The only imbalance right now is pistols shooting lasers, and maybe shotguns being somewhat underperforming. And these are issues I honestly expect to be patched within two weeks. Even so, every gun still kills cops with no problems.

Yeah, it's more about irritation about how OP some weapons are. Mainly because weapon rebalance was asked for a long time, and now when it comes it balances some weapons while making others blatantly OP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah of course. They pulled a joke that just destroyed their entire reputation, impacted their reviews on steam, managed to lead to front-page threads in the highly popular "gaming" subreddit about the shit they pulled, and are already agreeing to monetized transactions. Of course it's a joke. Also jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
    They're either really fucking committed to staying the course if this was some sort of planned-out shitstorm, or they've gone so entirely braindead that they didn't think to maybe tweak the day 3 stuff to not be all HA HA LOOK AT ALL THESE SAFES AND AN ACHIEVEMENT THAT REFERENCES CSGO WEAPON SKINS.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

• Options
    They're either really fucking committed to staying the course if this was some sort of planned-out shitstorm, or they've gone so entirely braindead that they didn't think to maybe tweak the day 3 stuff to not be all HA HA LOOK AT ALL THESE SAFES AND AN ACHIEVEMENT THAT REFERENCES CSGO WEAPON SKINS.

They can't transfer money back into bank accounts. They literally cannot. It's not a joke.

steam_sig.png

• Options

They can't transfer money back into bank accounts. They literally cannot. It's not a joke.

I have specifically been saying that it's planned, not that it is a joke specifically.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    CS:GO is popular and has made a lot of money. Overkill wants to emulate CS:GO for those reasons.

Strikor on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular

I mean, i'm not sure how it ever got out it could be a 'joke' or an 'gotcha!' kind of deal... even with tinfoil hats firmly on head, there is one way to easily dispell all of that.

Goto Steam, Goto Market, Click on 'Payday 2' icon.

Done, Not a 'joke' not a 'Gotcha' not a 'Haha we wouldn't *really* do this to you guys!' situation. VALVE, no matter how much 'fun' they are or how much they 'love' Overkill or whatever, would not fuck around with Peoples money in an Official capacity.

Not directed at you, BTW, NEO|Phyte just more a general 'Its kind of sad that some people seriously think this is just all some kind of joke by overkill...'

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Eh, I'd readily admit that it's not particularly likely that Overkill would gamble their reputation on some sort of grand overarching thing, but this silence is super odd. We've had a massively generic 'we are aware of your feedback' twitter message, and secondhand accounts of Almir not wanting to say anything because it would get twisted and torn apart.

It's absolutely smart to not make a statement until you've made a decision on how to go forward, but unless there are internal politics in play, they should have been able to at least come up with a 'we fucked up' by now, or manage to tone down the in-your-face-ness of what we got on Day 3. They managed a quick response to the dislike over the twitter challenges, and there is no way the outcry was anywhere near as bad on those.

We've also got the voice of Chains saying to trust overkill, though who knows if he actually has any inside knowledge on this mess.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well, people are saying the guy on 4chan that called the safes and microtransactions, who had a wolf picture as his avatar, was probably Ulf (the voice of Wolf) and it was probably what caused him to part ways with OVK. Now the Wolf merch is disappearing, there's a headline in the trailer saying a guy in a mask got caught, so now people think Wolf is getting killed off. The whole thing is getting even more out of hand.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm almost certain you can't get more than one safe from drops

urquanlord88.png
  • Options

Current speculation is that it's got a cooldown between allowed drops, to prevent market oversaturation.

Tinfoil hatters say it's because the system isn't actually sticking around, which is unlikely for several reasons, most notably the part where they set up integration with the steam marketplace for all this.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Again, speaking as a person who has not played this game in two years, of course they would kill Wolf off

If the guy left, and they can't record any more lines for him, there's zero reason to keep him as part of the game

Plus, on that "road to crimefest" web page, the only characters who seemed to have challenges or unlocks associated with them were Houston, Dallas, Chains, and Clover (who was free DLC if I remember? or not?) so if they were going to shift to a different set of main four, that seems as clear a sign as any

What a god damn shame. Payday always had such promise--they could never quite nail the feel of shooting, but there were such cool ideas present

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

Current speculation is that it's got a cooldown between allowed drops, to prevent market oversaturation.

Tinfoil hatters say it's because the system isn't actually sticking around, which is unlikely for several reasons, most notably the part where they set up integration with the steam marketplace for all this.

Well I'll be interested to know when someone has more than 2 safes then

urquanlord88.png
  • Options

I have specifically been saying that it's planned, not that it is a joke specifically.

What is planned? You think they will revert the microtransaction model? And then what? They'd have to do refunds for anyone who actually legitimately spent money... which they can't.

And that's why they're not going to, which is why it's no joke.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    Well, people are saying the guy on 4chan that called the safes and microtransactions, who had a wolf picture as his avatar, was probably Ulf (the voice of Wolf) and it was probably what caused him to part ways with OVK. Now the Wolf merch is disappearing, there's a headline in the trailer saying a guy in a mask got caught, so now people think Wolf is getting killed off. The whole thing is getting even more out of hand.

While the 4chan guy might be Ulf, but it couldn't have caused him to leave. He announced that will leave Overkill several months ago. However, it's entirely possible that he got sick of what Overkill decided to do and just said "Fuck you, I'm out of here".

It was also speculated that the whole comissioner Garret thing might end with Bain getting removed too, which will probably be the end of Payday.

steam_sig.png