As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was looking for a [Job] and then I found a [Job]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian Update: I was assisting for the last hour in helping to track down girls from another high school who had shown up most likely to fight a girl, here. Multiple police cruisers were involved and I witnessed the girls hopping fences to get away.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Fourth day out because of my back. Earliest appointment with my doc was the 10th. Blurgh. At least I was already scheduled off the next two days.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Scheduled to work 4 hours of OT, possibly on my own, tonight.

Currently falling asleep at my desk, less than an hour after lunch.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2015
    Dis' wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Also my UK landlords still haven't returned my security deposit (it's been more than 2 months!) and basically I would like some kind of miraculous hurricane to sweep me off to the UK for 24 hours so I can punch some fools.

Is it still with the TDP agency? You can contact the agency or file with the local county court to try and get it back. If the landlord is being arseholes or uncommunicative you should talk with the agency as soon as possible if you haven't already.

No, they released it ages ago. Actually I rented through an agent, who hasn't been answering emails. I rang him last night and left a snippy message but it will be easier to harangue him from the U.S.

Edit: hahaha snippy message worked. Got this.
    Thanks for your email. Apologies that you have had to chase. The last few months have passed in the blink of an eye.

Let me just refresh my memory and come back to you in the next 48 hours

I should point out that this is a fucking agency, there shouldn't need to be 'memory refreshing' - there should be a goddamn PAPER TRAIL which you LOOK UP NOW and then MAKE A FUCKING BANK TRANSFER YOU THIEVING GIT. What the buttshit do you need 48 hours for?

tynic on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    It's typical for inmates to test new staff, learning how much they can get away with and who is unwilling to get in a confrontation with them. I am the new staff in this location, meaning one inmate decided to see what happens when he refuses a direct order from me. Twice in fact, because I like to give everyone a chance to realize they've fucked up before I bring the hammer down. Unfortunately for him, he stayed the course.

Tell us more about this hammer drop and indiscriminate justice.

It's a progressive chain of discipline for inmates around here when they've been assigned to jobs and are asked to do a task within the scope of that job. Keeping in mind they applied for these jobs, it's not like they're being forced into them. In any case, the hammer I used THIS time was the squeaky balloon hammer of verbal counseling. This is where I talk to the inmate, discuss what occurred and remind him of the duty statement he signed, and there's no written record against him. I'm happy to report this seems to have solved the issue, which is about what I expected because, again, he was testing me. Once he saw I wasn't backing down he accepted that and it was business as usual.

However, since you asked about it, the chain could continue with repeated offenses. It goes from verbal counselling to CDC 128A, which is a written note of the offense but carries no real penalty other than going into their file. Think of them like warning cards in soccer. Get too many, or do something particularly bad though, and the inmate gets hit with the real hammer: a CDC 115 Serious Rules Violation. This is the one that tends to boot them from their jobs or voluntary classes, which they clearly don't want, and they will go to committee to discuss whether the violation was egregious enough to warrant additional time on their sentences. Not to mention it sticks around on their record, which if they're hoping to parole will be a sticking point with that panel.

If they continue with earning 115's, well really there's not much they can do other than take away privileges or transfer them to a higher security institution. After that, couldn't say what they get. The reasons inmates do these things are as numerous as the stars in the sky. They don't like another inmate, they don't like a staff member, they don't like the class, they want to be on the yard, they want to spend a night in the crisis bed, they want to be classified as EOP, they want to go to a different institution, etc.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Awesomed for your handling of the situation, @Madican

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Something weird happened today. One of my coworkers wanted to know if I was going to be in town for the holidays. When I said yes (meaning, I'd be in the Chicagoland area, but not necessarily "free") she said her kids are coming in for the holidays and wanted to know if maybe I'd go with them to the Art Institute, because I majored in Art History and she thought they might like it better if somebody who knows about Art was with them.

Normally this'd make me suspicious because it sounds like she's asking for a free tour-guide. But she's also told me one of her sons is the same age as me, and talked about him specifically a fair amount, until today when she didn't mention him at all. So now I'm extra suspicious of this.

• Options
    Well it's not every day I almost get killed by some jackass who isn't paying attention. In this instance, I was in a golf cart and he was in a van before the stop sign. I'm chugging along past the stop sign and he's now occupying the same space I am because he did not stop at the sign. After swerving to hug the curb while mentally swearing loudly, I pursued him back to the Garage, which was probably kind of hilarious to see someone angrily driving at 3 MPH, and he claimed he hadn't seen me. Which is of course bullshit but whatever, the point of the pursuit was primarily to let him know I knew who he was, what department he worked in, and that his stunt had pissed me off.

I left him with a caution to obey traffic laws and watch out for golf carts around the institution and putt-putt-putted back to the warehouse with thankfully no damage to me or the cart. Had I thought for a second that I was going to be hit though I would have dove out the other side and damn the cart.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The principal called me while I was on the way home to thank me for helping with the police chase of the rando other high school students who showed up to fight someone. I didn't really do anything except guard their abandoned car in the middle of the parking lot while security and the cops went after them but it was nice of him to call.

Also in Surface Pro update, I now have the surface pro 4 pen. It is soooo much nicer than the 3 pen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Well it's not every day I almost get killed by some jackass who isn't paying attention. In this instance, I was in a golf cart and he was in a van before the stop sign. I'm chugging along past the stop sign and he's now occupying the same space I am because he did not stop at the sign. After swerving to hug the curb while mentally swearing loudly, I pursued him back to the Garage, which was probably kind of hilarious to see someone angrily driving at 3 MPH, and he claimed he hadn't seen me. Which is of course bullshit but whatever, the point of the pursuit was primarily to let him know I knew who he was, what department he worked in, and that his stunt had pissed me off.

I left him with a caution to obey traffic laws and watch out for golf carts around the institution and putt-putt-putted back to the warehouse with thankfully no damage to me or the cart. Had I thought for a second that I was going to be hit though I would have dove out the other side and damn the cart.

'Witness Me' given because I'm picturing you as a Warboy in a golf cart.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    A huge pigeon just smashed into the front window of my office, and a bunch of our field techs are standing around it watching it twitch on its back, trying to figure out if it's dead, dying, or just stunned.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Shit

I just remembered I smoked some celebratory reefer with some buddies on my wedding night. It wasn't a lot, and I haven't been smoking at all lately other than that little slip up, but I'm worried about passing the pee test for this new job of mine...

Although, there are certain... Methods of circumventing this obstacle that I have used to great effect in the past.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Shit

I just remembered I smoked some celebratory reefer with some buddies on my wedding night. It wasn't a lot, and I haven't been smoking at all lately other than that little slip up, but I'm worried about passing the pee test for this new job of mine...

Although, there are certain... Methods of circumventing this obstacle that I have used to great effect in the past.

This?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Heh. No, not quite as clever as all that, but quite effective nonetheless.

Dang companies getting up in my biz. Ain't their business what I do on my own time. Nosy busybodies the lot of them!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    how long before your pee test

if its a few weeks away you are fine

if its like, tomorrow, and you smoked yesterday... you might be fucked.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Depending on the job, they miiiight not care if you are honest? At least around here the policy seems to be that as long as it isn't expensive or addictive you are probably in the clear so long as you are a good employee. It might be different in your location/getting hired on though.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I think I'd be fired on the spot.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I live in WYOMING, son.

WYOMING. Also, drug test is whenever I pick the paperwork up, but it needs to be in by Monday so I can start training and I smoked last on Sunday, so.

I think I'm gonna grab me a home pee test and see what's up, if I'm dirty I'll either old-school it or by some synthetic and use some subterfuge to accomplish my ends. Easy as pie.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I've only had to take two drug tests:
    1. Enlisted in the military
    2. Telephone Technical Support

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    I've only had to take two drug tests:
    1. Enlisted in the military
    2. Telephone Technical Support

What branch and how long, because while I was in I was tested one year like 5 times.
    Also I've had to drug test for every job except this one.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The only jobs I haven't had to drug test for are in the restaurant industry. Because if the restaurant industry drug tested, they'd have no employees.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    So I kinda got into a yelling match with the company's CFO and HR Exec about the new health benefit coverage presented to us today.

Basically they are moving us all away from a 'traditional' ppo plan, and forcing us all onto high deductible plans.

They kept trying to do funky math to tell us that a $150 doctor's visit is actually cheaper than a $20 co-pay doctor's visit.

In the end, this will essentially amount to a ~2k pay cut if we each go to the doctor any more than like 2 times this next year.

Hate this high deductible trend.

Moves all the risk onto the consumer, you end up gambling on your future your health. It screws over families and anyone with chronic illness.

i really really like my current team, and my day-to-day work is awesome. if that weren't the case, I'd be looking for a new job tonight.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Had to drug test when I got my current job. They do the inner cheek swab.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    5 calls scattered over the last hour from the same person, and they immediately say "Oh sorry wrong number" and hang up after I pick up the phone and get through the greeting.

6th call, the person sounds extremely frustrated and upset, and they go "I'm trying to call room ___ and I keep getting you!"

"Well ma'am, that's because the rooms don't have a direct number and I have to transfer you to them. Hold on a second and I'll transfer you now"

Now I'm just waiting for the person who, for the last week, spends an hour calling every 5-10 minutes asking me to transfer to someone because they're not there, and each time asking why the person they're trying to get in touch with won't answer the phone.

Edit: Also just had an internal posting for the schools bulk mail center come through my mailbox with choice job duties as "Enroll in training courses, particularly VBA macro creation and editing to strengthen knowledge of how to debug existing macros. Additional training courses on Excel functionality (writing complex formulas, etc.)." and "Enroll in courses for training on how to debug software scripting to assist with troubleshooting Python script."

You want to maybe pay me to learn this shit? Well, don't mind if I do...

Veevee on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Had to drug test when I got my current job. They do the inner cheek swab.

The cheek swab is a jooooke. Even if you've smoked only a couple hours before a swab, swish some mouthwash around and you'll probably still pass!

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    don't smoke weed before a dang drug test

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I didn't know I had one!

Also, in the case of the mouth swab, I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD ONE!

Edit: plus drug tests are stressful, man

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »

Uhh, I do believe it's "smoke weed every day" not "smoke weed when it's convenient for you"

Common man

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Machwing wrote: »

Uhh, I do believe it's "smoke weed every day" not "smoke weed when it's convenient for you"

Common man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jcxsE1Ahg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Had a snake at base last night. Hard to say because it was dark but it was either an entirely harmless wolf snake or an extremely dangerous stiletto snake. Either way it was too small and fast to pick up with snake tongs so I just had to herd it away from the house with a stick.

Also finally saw my first black mamba. Happy days.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I just got out of an interview. I hope I did well and get this job.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Also my UK landlords still haven't returned my security deposit (it's been more than 2 months!) and basically I would like some kind of miraculous hurricane to sweep me off to the UK for 24 hours so I can punch some fools.

Is it still with the TDP agency? You can contact the agency or file with the local county court to try and get it back. If the landlord is being arseholes or uncommunicative you should talk with the agency as soon as possible if you haven't already.

No, they released it ages ago. Actually I rented through an agent, who hasn't been answering emails. I rang him last night and left a snippy message but it will be easier to harangue him from the U.S.

But the TDP agency is meant to pay back to you directly, it's not meant to go via the letting agent or landlord sticky/incompetent hands?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I just got out of an interview. I hope I did well and get this job.

A positive that I can take from this already is I gave an answer and one of the board gave a surprised laugh and said how good of an answer that was and that he's not meant to say that in the interview.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

But the TDP agency is meant to pay back to you directly, it's not meant to go via the letting agent or landlord sticky/incompetent hands?

Huh, I've never had that? It's always gone me --> agent/landlord --> they deposit it in tenancy protection --> released to agent/landlord --> back to me

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Got an interesting email from a company that I applied to a Director level position at over a year ago (and had a looooong conversation with their recruiter about). Well, turns out that a Manager level position has opened up and they'd like to speak to me.

"Please send your base salary and total compensation requirements..." All in bold.

I hate this part.

Guess it's base + expected percentage of potential bonus + retirement/401k + really, I just want to work with cool people doing good work that make fans/customers happy.

Hate this part.

• Options
    Woooo, peein clean! Now just to take an official test and I'll be good.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Huh, I've never had that? It's always gone me --> agent/landlord --> they deposit it in tenancy protection --> released to agent/landlord --> back to me

Looking in to it it appears to be up to the TDPA!
    • All the one's I've had were the landlord and tenant filling in webforms until both signed off and then the agency paid into the bank account I provided. This was pretty great, would recommend. (This is the DPS and the Scottish TDPA models)
    • Another model is the landlord pays you back out of their other funds, then they/both of you confirm to the TDPA who then releases the deposit to the landlord. In this case if you've been notified by the TDPA but not gotten the money in hand someone is pulling some really serious shit. (This is mydeposits and TDS models, the former doesn't seem to have time windows on their website but with the latter the fact you didn't get the money within 10 days is something you can take to county court)

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Had a snake at base last night. Hard to say because it was dark but it was either an entirely harmless wolf snake or an extremely dangerous stiletto snake. Either way it was too small and fast to pick up with snake tongs so I just had to herd it away from the house with a stick.

Also finally saw my first black mamba. Happy days.

6MUwcw.jpg ?

• Options

Looking in to it it appears to be up to the TDPA!
    • All the one's I've had were the landlord and tenant filling in webforms until both signed off and then the agency paid into the bank account I provided. This was pretty great, would recommend. (This is the DPS and the Scottish TDPA models)
    • Another model is the landlord pays you back out of their other funds, then they/both of you confirm to the TDPA who then releases the deposit to the landlord. In this case if you've been notified by the TDPA but not gotten the money in hand someone is pulling some really serious shit. (This is mydeposits and TDS models, the former doesn't seem to have time windows on their website but with the latter the fact you didn't get the money within 10 days is something you can take to county court)

I've had it take a few weeks in the past, which I put down to general Cornishness. Two months is definitely actionable, but I'm not in the country to take action. I have a suspicion I know how it fell through the cracks, which basically amounts to the agent being incredibly slack and the landlord either being criminally absent minded or deliberately pulling some shit. But yeah, hard to deal with overseas.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Decent chance my range takes me out of contention for this one. Let's see how this goes. I'll let you know if the lemurs need to be warmed up.

This discussion has been closed.